Universal Gaming
Games Through Rose-Colored Glasses - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Gaming Galaxy (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Gaming (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Games Through Rose-Colored Glasses (/showthread.php?tid=724)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Games Through Rose-Colored Glasses - Kyng - Aug 10th, 2020

(Aug 4th, 2020, 09:23 PM)Moonface Wrote:
@Kyng: Oh dear lord that first person biking sequence. I could barely stomach watching that let alone play it.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I hated the bike even at the time Tongue . I quickly stopped using it altogether. 

(I used the other vehicles; however, they were still frustrating, albeit somewhat less so)

RE: Games Through Rose-Colored Glasses - ShiraNoMai - Aug 10th, 2020

I sometimes regret going back to games I once revered and discovering they're dogshit. With many things lately keeping me in a state of depression, finding out that the things that made me happy in life were actually not that great after all is real depressing Sweat

That said, I know one game that's aged pretty poorly but hasn't necessarily depressed me to realize is Mario Kart 64. I'm just not a fan of the way that game handles in comparison to more recent entries in the series and that's okay.

Another thing, when games started having 3D cameras, those things were fucking terrible. It's unsurprising but holy shit do games like SM64 and Conker's Bad Fur Day have some trouble feeling good because of it sometimes, I find. Doesn't necessarily make the games bad but it does show how vintage those controls were.

RE: Games Through Rose-Colored Glasses - Karo - Aug 10th, 2020

Oddly enough whenever I do go back to Mario 64 I never really found myself hating the camera that much. Its almost like I'm still used to it for some bizarre reason. Hmm Of course its not as good as later games, but I can't really think of any older games that I feel aged poorly to the point where it ruined my experience. Hmm

RE: Games Through Rose-Colored Glasses - Dragon Lord - Aug 14th, 2020

I can't say I've ever suffered from this. I've always been critical of the games I play -- even the games I love the most I will still heavily criticize when I feel something isn't as good as it could have been/should be in it. As for older games, when I go back and play them, I know they're not going to feel as good as they used to, because now I'm used to more responsive controls, smoother cameras, better framerates, etc., and I can temper my expectations for them better.

RE: Without the nostalgia glasses - WR91 - Sep 28th, 2020

Driver for the original PS1 was awesome back in the day. I played it about a year ago and damn. It didn't age well in my opinion.

RE: Without the nostalgia glasses - Moonface - Sep 16th, 2021

Ah, so we do have a thread for this.

Goodie, because I've been meaning to share my thoughts on Rayman Revolution. I didn't play the game when it first came out and didn't pick it up until about 2015 I think? But the first time I played it I thought it was superb, but I didn't get to finish it before I moved to the US. I did bring the game with me though, and it had been so long I figured I'd just restart. It is not as amazing as I thought it was and I eventually got to a point of just wanting to play Rayman 3 because my mind was painting that game as being everything I thought this one was. I just hope I don't rip Rayman 3 apart when I play that again one day.

Another one I thought was really good but is actually pretty bad is Jak 3. I always thought it was the best in the series but it's actually the worst one. If nothing else it's clear it was rushed out the door because the story is a mess and feels like parts are just missing.

RE: Without the nostalgia glasses - ShiraNoMai - Sep 19th, 2021

I feel like a lot of games from the 5th gen did not age very well, particularly ones with brand new 3D tech (cameras, models, etc). Reminds me of how VR games started (and some still are) just floaty hands, janky head camera, and shooting galleries. Very early tech that hasn't quite reached a point where it's particularly good. Only difference is in today's standards, we recognize VR games as a work in progress still, whereas back in the late 90's, the new camera and 3D modelling was such a HUGE change to the playing field that it was absolutely mind-blowing and amazing, considered the best video games could ever hope to achieve at that point.