Games Through Rose-Colored Glasses
Moonface Offline
Hell's Bells, hm?
Administrators
Currently Playing
AC: NH (NS) | Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
XP: 5,035
LittleBigPlanet Ratchet & Clank Crash Bandicoot 
About a month or two ago I played through Jak 3 again because I got it on PS4, and it was not at all as good as I remembered it being. It almost feels like it wasn't finished or given the time it needed, with multiple missions happening with zero lead up to them. There's a Monk Temple in the game, and for no reason at all Jak goes to visit it and climbs to the top. Later, Jak randomly decides to destroy a shield on a Dark Maker ship but you have zero clue that that is what you are doing or did. You just explore this new area and take out some tank that explodes and then the mission just ends. At no point does the game explain what you actually did, and only through the mission select screen do you get told you destroyed a shield because the mission is called "Destroy Dark Ship shield". Another mission after this sees a character taking part who shouldn't be present; they are living out of the city in the wasteland, and even say they will not return to Haven City, yet suddenly they turn up for one mission then disappear again back to the wasteland. Finally, throughout the game you get given Dark/Light Eco Crystals, with zero context on what they do. Near the end of the game, Jak combines these off camera to make them into an orb to power something, but you have no clue the orb he holds is made from this. To the player it just looks like he plucked it out of nowhere. I never knew it was made from the crystals until I looked them up on the Wiki to find out what they actually do in the game. The story overall is also just a complete mess, and the desert vehicles drive like ass. I used to think this was the best Jak game and after that recent playthrough it's easily the worst one and easily Naughty Dog's worst game.

So what about you guys? Have you played any games that you thought are really good but actually your view was just skewed by rose-colored glasses as they say?
[Image: tumblr_picdhxmZg01r1fejho5_540.gif]
IN THE SUN, SLEEPING LIKE A BUM.
I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!

Moonface Offline
Hell's Bells, hm?
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
About a month or two ago I played through Jak 3 again because I got it on PS4, and it was not at all as good as I remembered it being. It almost feels like it wasn't finished or given the time it needed, with multiple missions happening with zero lead up to them. There's a Monk Temple in the game, and for no reason at all Jak goes to visit it and climbs to the top. Later, Jak randomly decides to destroy a shield on a Dark Maker ship but you have zero clue that that is what you are doing or did. You just explore this new area and take out some tank that explodes and then the mission just ends. At no point does the game explain what you actually did, and only through the mission select screen do you get told you destroyed a shield because the mission is called "Destroy Dark Ship shield". Another mission after this sees a character taking part who shouldn't be present; they are living out of the city in the wasteland, and even say they will not return to Haven City, yet suddenly they turn up for one mission then disappear again back to the wasteland. Finally, throughout the game you get given Dark/Light Eco Crystals, with zero context on what they do. Near the end of the game, Jak combines these off camera to make them into an orb to power something, but you have no clue the orb he holds is made from this. To the player it just looks like he plucked it out of nowhere. I never knew it was made from the crystals until I looked them up on the Wiki to find out what they actually do in the game. The story overall is also just a complete mess, and the desert vehicles drive like ass. I used to think this was the best Jak game and after that recent playthrough it's easily the worst one and easily Naughty Dog's worst game.

So what about you guys? Have you played any games that you thought are really good but actually your view was just skewed by rose-colored glasses as they say?
Kyng Offline
Settled In
XP: 1,173
Persona 
Yeah, it happens to me too. One of the most memorable examples was when I was 11 years old.

About four years previously, I went around to a friend's house - and they introduced me to LEGO Island. Back then, it was a brand new game - and my 7-year-old mind was completely blown by it :O . I really wanted a copy for myself - but, sadly, it didn't run on the old computer that we had at our house Sad . Still, I kept the game in mind - and resolved to get a copy once we had a better computer.

Eventually, we upgraded our machine - and, I made good on my promise to myself, and got a copy of LEGO Island. By now, the game was four years old... and, it hadn't aged well:

It wasn't a total disaster: I was still able to have some fun with the game... but, not nearly as much as I had hoped. By this point, LEGO had released much more modern games (like LEGO Racers 2), and this game just didn't stand up at all compared to those.
Kyng Offline
Settled In
Yeah, it happens to me too. One of the most memorable examples was when I was 11 years old.

About four years previously, I went around to a friend's house - and they introduced me to LEGO Island. Back then, it was a brand new game - and my 7-year-old mind was completely blown by it :O . I really wanted a copy for myself - but, sadly, it didn't run on the old computer that we had at our house Sad . Still, I kept the game in mind - and resolved to get a copy once we had a better computer.

Eventually, we upgraded our machine - and, I made good on my promise to myself, and got a copy of LEGO Island. By now, the game was four years old... and, it hadn't aged well:

It wasn't a total disaster: I was still able to have some fun with the game... but, not nearly as much as I had hoped. By this point, LEGO had released much more modern games (like LEGO Racers 2), and this game just didn't stand up at all compared to those.
Moonface Offline
Hell's Bells, hm?
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
LittleBigPlanet Ratchet & Clank Crash Bandicoot 
@Kyng: Oh dear lord that first person biking sequence. I could barely stomach watching that let alone play it.

Ugh, I'm convinced that apart from the first game, nothing about Jak & Daxter as a series is as good as I thought. I just started Jak X and the driving is getting worse as the cars get faster and the tracks more complex. This is a series that never deserves a reboot and should stay dead. It has nothing worth bringing to today's world.
[Image: tumblr_picdhxmZg01r1fejho5_540.gif]
IN THE SUN, SLEEPING LIKE A BUM.
I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!

Moonface Offline
Hell's Bells, hm?
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
@Kyng: Oh dear lord that first person biking sequence. I could barely stomach watching that let alone play it.

Ugh, I'm convinced that apart from the first game, nothing about Jak & Daxter as a series is as good as I thought. I just started Jak X and the driving is getting worse as the cars get faster and the tracks more complex. This is a series that never deserves a reboot and should stay dead. It has nothing worth bringing to today's world.
Kyng Offline
Settled In
Persona 
(Aug 4th, 2020, 09:23 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I hated the bike even at the time Tongue . I quickly stopped using it altogether. 

(I used the other vehicles; however, they were still frustrating, albeit somewhat less so)
Kyng Offline
Settled In
(Aug 4th, 2020, 09:23 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I hated the bike even at the time Tongue . I quickly stopped using it altogether. 

(I used the other vehicles; however, they were still frustrating, albeit somewhat less so)
ShiraNoMai Offline
Your Typical 9-to-5 Office Yoshi
Moderators
Currently Playing
Animal Crossing: New Horizons | Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Souvenir Vouchers
XP: 2,180
Horizon Zero Dawn (Shiny) Mario Kart Pokémon 
I sometimes regret going back to games I once revered and discovering they're dogshit. With many things lately keeping me in a state of depression, finding out that the things that made me happy in life were actually not that great after all is real depressing Sweat

That said, I know one game that's aged pretty poorly but hasn't necessarily depressed me to realize is Mario Kart 64. I'm just not a fan of the way that game handles in comparison to more recent entries in the series and that's okay.

Another thing, when games started having 3D cameras, those things were fucking terrible. It's unsurprising but holy shit do games like SM64 and Conker's Bad Fur Day have some trouble feeling good because of it sometimes, I find. Doesn't necessarily make the games bad but it does show how vintage those controls were.
[Image: z1x0gCB.jpg]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Your Typical 9-to-5 Office Yoshi
Currently Playing
Animal Crossing: New Horizons | Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Souvenir Vouchers
XP: 2,180
I sometimes regret going back to games I once revered and discovering they're dogshit. With many things lately keeping me in a state of depression, finding out that the things that made me happy in life were actually not that great after all is real depressing Sweat

That said, I know one game that's aged pretty poorly but hasn't necessarily depressed me to realize is Mario Kart 64. I'm just not a fan of the way that game handles in comparison to more recent entries in the series and that's okay.

Another thing, when games started having 3D cameras, those things were fucking terrible. It's unsurprising but holy shit do games like SM64 and Conker's Bad Fur Day have some trouble feeling good because of it sometimes, I find. Doesn't necessarily make the games bad but it does show how vintage those controls were.
Yuri Offline
Demons can't touch me!
Currently Playing
Dead by Daylight & Animal Crossing New Horizon (On Friday)
Favourite Platform(s)
Switch & PC
XP: 366
Mass Effect (Shiny) Animal Crossing Splatoon 
Oddly enough whenever I do go back to Mario 64 I never really found myself hating the camera that much. Its almost like I'm still used to it for some bizarre reason. Hmm Of course its not as good as later games, but I can't really think of any older games that I feel aged poorly to the point where it ruined my experience. Hmm
[Image: AbandonedHoarseIncatern-max-1mb.gif]
Yuri Offline
Demons can't touch me!
Currently Playing
Dead by Daylight & Animal Crossing New Horizon (On Friday)
Favourite Platform(s)
Switch & PC
XP: 366
Oddly enough whenever I do go back to Mario 64 I never really found myself hating the camera that much. Its almost like I'm still used to it for some bizarre reason. Hmm Of course its not as good as later games, but I can't really think of any older games that I feel aged poorly to the point where it ruined my experience. Hmm

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Xbox Games Showcase - July 23, 2020 Moonface 6 188 Jul 26th, 2020, 05:39 PM
Last Post: Dragon Lord
  Sounds in Games Moonface 2 408 Jun 29th, 2020, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Games That Feel Too Long/Short? Moonface 2 306 Jun 3rd, 2020, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Tutorials in Games Moonface 6 687 May 3rd, 2020, 07:07 PM
Last Post: Dragon Lord
  Cancelled Games: Was there any you wanted to try? Nightingale 24 7,764 Mar 27th, 2020, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Daltonio