What Did/Do You Usually Eat?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Moonlighter (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 28,508
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I'm hungry right now but I'm holding off on eating anything random because it's dinner time soon, and I should be trying to figure out what I'm having for that because I have nothing in the house to make. Thinking of that made me wonder what food people here eat or used to eat, so here we are. Tongue

I can say that before I came to the US my palette was pretty dire. Every meal had to include fries unless it was the rare occasion I had a roast dinner or something, and what went with those fries would be a burger, sausage, pizza, or chicken nuggets 90% of the time. I look back on that and never quite know what to think about it. Sweat
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 28,508 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I'm hungry right now but I'm holding off on eating anything random because it's dinner time soon, and I should be trying to figure out what I'm having for that because I have nothing in the house to make. Thinking of that made me wonder what food people here eat or used to eat, so here we are. Tongue

I can say that before I came to the US my palette was pretty dire. Every meal had to include fries unless it was the rare occasion I had a roast dinner or something, and what went with those fries would be a burger, sausage, pizza, or chicken nuggets 90% of the time. I look back on that and never quite know what to think about it. Sweat
ShiraNoMai Online
๐Ÿ–ค๐Ÿค๐Ÿ’œ / ๐Ÿฉท๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’™
Moderators
Currently Playing
Minecraft: Drehmal (PC) | Golden Yoshi's Island (SNES) | Pokรฉmon Violet (Switch)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 27,082
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
To be fair to yourself, you didn't know better: that's just how you were raised, 'cuz your mom wasn't exactly a cook. I was lucky in that I was raised by a mother that did know how and thus had more variety in the things I was able to enjoy and taste.

My current lifestyle is to just eat moderately, CICO (Calorie In, Calorie Out) kept in mind cuz my BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is pretty low due to how much bodyfat my body has accumulated over the past year or so (meaning I don't need to consume as many calories because my body has many "stores" of energy on hand). Really stinks that estrogen-fueled bodies favor hanging onto the fat reserves more than those with less, makes it much harder to lose. Easy to acquire, harder to lose.

Anyway the cleaner I eat, the better I feel, no surprise there. Cutting how often I eat out and what specifically I eat if I do eat out is always a consideration now.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Online
Currently Playing
Minecraft: Drehmal (PC) | Golden Yoshi's Island (SNES) | Pokรฉmon Violet (Switch)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 27,082 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
To be fair to yourself, you didn't know better: that's just how you were raised, 'cuz your mom wasn't exactly a cook. I was lucky in that I was raised by a mother that did know how and thus had more variety in the things I was able to enjoy and taste.

My current lifestyle is to just eat moderately, CICO (Calorie In, Calorie Out) kept in mind cuz my BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is pretty low due to how much bodyfat my body has accumulated over the past year or so (meaning I don't need to consume as many calories because my body has many "stores" of energy on hand). Really stinks that estrogen-fueled bodies favor hanging onto the fat reserves more than those with less, makes it much harder to lose. Easy to acquire, harder to lose.

Anyway the cleaner I eat, the better I feel, no surprise there. Cutting how often I eat out and what specifically I eat if I do eat out is always a consideration now.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,778
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I believe many people will find what I have is very boring but nyeh.

100% of the time my breakfast is cereal, although when I started work it became mixed cereal as I found just eating one kind of something uninteresting as in just Rice Krispies one day, just Frosties the next, although I have Shredded Wheat, Country Crisp, Granola, chocolate squares, Special K, whatever.

I used to sometimes change it up and have butter toast instead of cereal but toast moved to lunch time with soup. Lunch can also be sandwiches, or I'll have all three with snacks, with sausage rolls, WHAT. Nom noms. Fruit when I want it, but sometimes not everyday or not meeting the 5-a-day, oh dear.

Dinner used to all be what my mum cooked which ranged from basic oven and hob stuff which would normally have veg involved, roast on a Sunday, Spaghetti Bolognese. As I'm still living with my mum that still happens at times in the week but minus the Spaghetti Bolognese for some reason (there was a time where if it were just me and her, or sister on odd times too she'd cook that), other times I cook my own, have a ready meal because I CBA'd, or we're going out to a restaurant, latter happens more than it used to. What I cook is usually pasta (macaroni, penne and sauce, pasta bake), oven basic stuff and hob stuff like beans, tinned mackerel and veg sometimes with potatoes. Whoo.

I did...have the intention of becoming a better cook like actually learn proper stuff maybe but er...CBA'd. XD
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,778 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I believe many people will find what I have is very boring but nyeh.

100% of the time my breakfast is cereal, although when I started work it became mixed cereal as I found just eating one kind of something uninteresting as in just Rice Krispies one day, just Frosties the next, although I have Shredded Wheat, Country Crisp, Granola, chocolate squares, Special K, whatever.

I used to sometimes change it up and have butter toast instead of cereal but toast moved to lunch time with soup. Lunch can also be sandwiches, or I'll have all three with snacks, with sausage rolls, WHAT. Nom noms. Fruit when I want it, but sometimes not everyday or not meeting the 5-a-day, oh dear.

Dinner used to all be what my mum cooked which ranged from basic oven and hob stuff which would normally have veg involved, roast on a Sunday, Spaghetti Bolognese. As I'm still living with my mum that still happens at times in the week but minus the Spaghetti Bolognese for some reason (there was a time where if it were just me and her, or sister on odd times too she'd cook that), other times I cook my own, have a ready meal because I CBA'd, or we're going out to a restaurant, latter happens more than it used to. What I cook is usually pasta (macaroni, penne and sauce, pasta bake), oven basic stuff and hob stuff like beans, tinned mackerel and veg sometimes with potatoes. Whoo.

I did...have the intention of becoming a better cook like actually learn proper stuff maybe but er...CBA'd. XD
ShiraNoMai Online
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 27,082
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Eh, I mean, what incentive do you have to be a better cook other than to just do it for yourself? It's always way better to cook for someone else IMO.

That is a pretty rigid/limited diet, I won't lie lol
But pasta is pretty pog, I wish I had more of that, but Moony's not the biggest fan of it Sad
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Online
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 27,082 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Eh, I mean, what incentive do you have to be a better cook other than to just do it for yourself? It's always way better to cook for someone else IMO.

That is a pretty rigid/limited diet, I won't lie lol
But pasta is pretty pog, I wish I had more of that, but Moony's not the biggest fan of it Sad
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 28,508
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Jul 1st, 2024, 11:45 PM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Yeah, she's more of a baker than a cook really. My dad cooks well, but it was rare he would when I was a kid since his cooking wouldn't really be what a kid would eat, and by the time I was a teenager I was dead set on just sticking with what I already knew rather than trying new stuff. It also didn't help that I had a really hard time trying new stuff out of worry that I wouldn't like it and waste the food, and if waste wasn't a concern (because someone else is eating it and just letting me try a bite) I'd judge food heavily on what it looked like and didn't really have an open mind to trying stuff either so I'd still end up making excuses to not try stuff. Eh

(Jul 2nd, 2024, 11:47 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:

Dinner used to all be what my mum cooked which ranged from basic oven and hob stuff which would normally have veg involved, roast on a Sunday, Spaghetti Bolognese.
Eh, my breakfast is generally cereal too, and not even any amazing cereals either; it'll just be Corn Flakes, Rice Crispies, or Shreddies/Life. @ShiraNoMai always describes it as old people cereal. ROFL
If not cereal, I'll either have a breakfast sandwich I can cook in the microwave or I'll cook some bacon and make a sandwich. Anything other than that is only when I go out to eat breakfast somewhere.

It sounds like she does but I want to clarify, does your mum still do a roast every Sunday? My parents ditched that tradition so long ago I can't remember how old I was when I last had that meal every Sunday. LOL

(Jul 5th, 2024, 02:27 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Eh, I don't mind it but if there's no meat in the dish with it then I'll likely be bored of it really quickly. If dinner doesn't involve putting meat in my mouth in some way then it's a miracle if I'll enjoy the dish. And yes, I know how that reads and I did it intentionally.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 28,508 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Jul 1st, 2024, 11:45 PM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Yeah, she's more of a baker than a cook really. My dad cooks well, but it was rare he would when I was a kid since his cooking wouldn't really be what a kid would eat, and by the time I was a teenager I was dead set on just sticking with what I already knew rather than trying new stuff. It also didn't help that I had a really hard time trying new stuff out of worry that I wouldn't like it and waste the food, and if waste wasn't a concern (because someone else is eating it and just letting me try a bite) I'd judge food heavily on what it looked like and didn't really have an open mind to trying stuff either so I'd still end up making excuses to not try stuff. Eh

(Jul 2nd, 2024, 11:47 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:

Dinner used to all be what my mum cooked which ranged from basic oven and hob stuff which would normally have veg involved, roast on a Sunday, Spaghetti Bolognese.
Eh, my breakfast is generally cereal too, and not even any amazing cereals either; it'll just be Corn Flakes, Rice Crispies, or Shreddies/Life. @ShiraNoMai always describes it as old people cereal. ROFL
If not cereal, I'll either have a breakfast sandwich I can cook in the microwave or I'll cook some bacon and make a sandwich. Anything other than that is only when I go out to eat breakfast somewhere.

It sounds like she does but I want to clarify, does your mum still do a roast every Sunday? My parents ditched that tradition so long ago I can't remember how old I was when I last had that meal every Sunday. LOL

(Jul 5th, 2024, 02:27 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Eh, I don't mind it but if there's no meat in the dish with it then I'll likely be bored of it really quickly. If dinner doesn't involve putting meat in my mouth in some way then it's a miracle if I'll enjoy the dish. And yes, I know how that reads and I did it intentionally.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,778
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
What, well I can understand Corn Flakes and Shreddies or whatever Life is older people would still have, definitely our age too, but Rice Crispies I'd have as a kid. Probably the first time I had Corn Flakes or Shreddies was from the small variety boxes usually for kids or if you're on holiday and take that instead of multiple full size boxes.

My mum not always but tends to do a small like roast but not a proper one, only at Christmas and if we have leftovers/stuff not needed on the day from that, or if she finds something cheap enough but it's rare. The small version is basically like a chicken breast, veg, small potatoes, gravy and maybe stuffing, cocktail sausages too if we have them. Sometimes the chicken is swapped for fish or a meat-free item(I'm not that fond of the latter but whatever) and also depends on what my sister complains about having if she had meat or fish the other day. XD
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,778 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
What, well I can understand Corn Flakes and Shreddies or whatever Life is older people would still have, definitely our age too, but Rice Crispies I'd have as a kid. Probably the first time I had Corn Flakes or Shreddies was from the small variety boxes usually for kids or if you're on holiday and take that instead of multiple full size boxes.

My mum not always but tends to do a small like roast but not a proper one, only at Christmas and if we have leftovers/stuff not needed on the day from that, or if she finds something cheap enough but it's rare. The small version is basically like a chicken breast, veg, small potatoes, gravy and maybe stuffing, cocktail sausages too if we have them. Sometimes the chicken is swapped for fish or a meat-free item(I'm not that fond of the latter but whatever) and also depends on what my sister complains about having if she had meat or fish the other day. XD