Wiki Diving
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Moonlighter (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 28,508
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Anyone else here ever go on a random dive into a Wikipedia style site about something in particular and end up spending a while just going down a rabbit hole of various pages?

I noticed I actually do this really often where I'll think about a particular game in some way and end up going to its (Anti)Fandom page to read up on the thing I'm thinking about (even if I know about it already and just want to see if there's any random trivia associated with it I didn't know about) and then I'll see a link to something else in that page and before I know it I've gone through like ten pages of stuff. ROFL

I also learned yesterday that Wikipedia has "Random" and "Nearby" searches which I'm sure will end up being something I use when I'm bored and don't know what better to do. 

If anyone else here does anything like this, what leads you to do it and have you ever found anything interesting from doing it?
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 28,508 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Anyone else here ever go on a random dive into a Wikipedia style site about something in particular and end up spending a while just going down a rabbit hole of various pages?

I noticed I actually do this really often where I'll think about a particular game in some way and end up going to its (Anti)Fandom page to read up on the thing I'm thinking about (even if I know about it already and just want to see if there's any random trivia associated with it I didn't know about) and then I'll see a link to something else in that page and before I know it I've gone through like ten pages of stuff. ROFL

I also learned yesterday that Wikipedia has "Random" and "Nearby" searches which I'm sure will end up being something I use when I'm bored and don't know what better to do. 

If anyone else here does anything like this, what leads you to do it and have you ever found anything interesting from doing it?
ShiraNoMai Online
🖤🤍💜 / 🩷💛💙
Moderators
Currently Playing
Minecraft: Drehmal (PC) | Golden Yoshi's Island (SNES) | Pokémon Violet (Switch)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 27,082
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I tend to dive into Wikipedia pages when I want to learn about why something is the way it is, a lot. Mostly for an etymological reason or to verify a fact about a person/event.

Here's a screenshot of my Wikipedia app of all the open tabs I still have from the last time I went deep diving LOL

[Image: ks7PJaU.jpeg]
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Online
🖤🤍💜 / 🩷💛💙
Currently Playing
Minecraft: Drehmal (PC) | Golden Yoshi's Island (SNES) | Pokémon Violet (Switch)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 27,082 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I tend to dive into Wikipedia pages when I want to learn about why something is the way it is, a lot. Mostly for an etymological reason or to verify a fact about a person/event.

Here's a screenshot of my Wikipedia app of all the open tabs I still have from the last time I went deep diving LOL

[Image: ks7PJaU.jpeg]
Maniakkid25 Online
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 14,258
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
I've done this many times on TV Tropes. They call it a Wiki Walk, but it's the same principle: start at one page, click links, realize you are far away from where you started. It's fun to just see where you end up. I've done a few, though not any in recent memory, sadly, so I can't tell you why.
Maniakkid25 Online
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 14,258 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
I've done this many times on TV Tropes. They call it a Wiki Walk, but it's the same principle: start at one page, click links, realize you are far away from where you started. It's fun to just see where you end up. I've done a few, though not any in recent memory, sadly, so I can't tell you why.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,778
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I have done, when I wanted to learn some basics of mythology and such, a game's own Wiki page, looking at rankings or charts of releases, probably a few other examples I can't think of. I don't stray too far away from my initial searches though, or I do end up somewhere weird/unrelated, realise and head back I guess. XD
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,778 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I have done, when I wanted to learn some basics of mythology and such, a game's own Wiki page, looking at rankings or charts of releases, probably a few other examples I can't think of. I don't stray too far away from my initial searches though, or I do end up somewhere weird/unrelated, realise and head back I guess. XD
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 9,141
Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
Yeah, it often happened to me on TV Tropes several years ago Tongue .

It happens less often now (since I usually just end up on the same pages I've read several times before) - but, it does still happen on occasion!
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 9,141 Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
Yeah, it often happened to me on TV Tropes several years ago Tongue .

It happens less often now (since I usually just end up on the same pages I've read several times before) - but, it does still happen on occasion!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 28,508
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Jul 10th, 2024, 12:31 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
Ah, I figured it probably had an actual term that wasn't what I went with. I ended up going with Wiki Diving in the sense of it being like dumpster diving; just digging in and seeing what you end up coming across unexpectedly. Tongue

I was curious if I've done any other wiki walks since I made this thread, and although I didn't stray outside of the subject matter (since I was on a dedicated wiki again) I spent a good chunk of time on the Deadman Wonderland wiki recently trying to refresh my memory on some things like characters that died or some of the deeper lore of the series. I forgot how messed up some of that stuff was; at times it felt like I was reading lore from something like Bloodborne until I'd remember what subject I was actually reading about. LOL
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 28,508 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Jul 10th, 2024, 12:31 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
Ah, I figured it probably had an actual term that wasn't what I went with. I ended up going with Wiki Diving in the sense of it being like dumpster diving; just digging in and seeing what you end up coming across unexpectedly. Tongue

I was curious if I've done any other wiki walks since I made this thread, and although I didn't stray outside of the subject matter (since I was on a dedicated wiki again) I spent a good chunk of time on the Deadman Wonderland wiki recently trying to refresh my memory on some things like characters that died or some of the deeper lore of the series. I forgot how messed up some of that stuff was; at times it felt like I was reading lore from something like Bloodborne until I'd remember what subject I was actually reading about. LOL