Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,999
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
TAKE TWO!

Bosses. You know them. They are the climax of an area, ending off in a flurry of battle. A necessary inclusion in just about any game. And yet, there are some bosses that are difficult. Very difficult. And I don't mean "It's easy if you do this mechanic." I mean "Even for the game that it's in and doing it the right way, this boss is HARD!" These are the kinds of bosses that make lazy top 10 lists for "the most difficult evah!" and fill the TV Tropes page for That One Boss.

For the inspiration of this thread, I turn to this post I made about Digital Devil Saga's New Game+ Bonus Boss: The Demi-Fiend. Now, there are actually a lot of things that combine together to make this one of the hardest JRPG bosses ever put to polygons, so there's really no way for me to avoid making this a Wall O' Text™. Apologies in advance.

Maniakkid25 Online
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,999 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
TAKE TWO!

Bosses. You know them. They are the climax of an area, ending off in a flurry of battle. A necessary inclusion in just about any game. And yet, there are some bosses that are difficult. Very difficult. And I don't mean "It's easy if you do this mechanic." I mean "Even for the game that it's in and doing it the right way, this boss is HARD!" These are the kinds of bosses that make lazy top 10 lists for "the most difficult evah!" and fill the TV Tropes page for That One Boss.

For the inspiration of this thread, I turn to this post I made about Digital Devil Saga's New Game+ Bonus Boss: The Demi-Fiend. Now, there are actually a lot of things that combine together to make this one of the hardest JRPG bosses ever put to polygons, so there's really no way for me to avoid making this a Wall O' Text™. Apologies in advance.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Dead Space (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,413
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I really have to question that One Boss trope page and some of the entries. Like, Tiny Tiger in Crash Bandicoot 2? Really? That is not remotely close to "one boss" territory. It is not hard to realize you jump away from him and lure him to jump somewhere that a platform is about to fall down so he falls too. Errm

I will agree with the entry for Delirium from The Binding of Isaac though. That thing is horrible and people have begged for it to get a rework because of how broken it is. I've only ever defeated it by having a run so utterly broken it doesn't get time to hurt me.

Also I just finished playing a game that might get one of the freshest entries in this thread, which although I don't know the name of it it was a boss in Dungeon Clawler. This piece of shit ended my entire run like it was nothing and I could do nothing about it. Every turn it stacked 3 poison onto me, and also stacked 3 heal per attack onto itself. It has 400hp, and each turn it gets to attack 5 times. Here's how its turns went:
  1. Attacks 5x for 4 damage each time, which I block but it still heals for 15 (5x3) and at the end of the turn inflicts 3 poison damage on me. Any damage I did was pretty much all healed. 
  2. Attacks 5x4d but now heals 6hp per attack, so now it heals 30hp. I can't even deal this much damage in two turns. I also now get 6 poison damage. 
  3. Heals 45hp, gives me 9 poison. 
  4. 60hp, 12 poison. 
  5. 75hp, 15 poison. 
  6. 90hp, 18 poison. 
I had no chance by the second turn in this fight but this was how far I held out before my health could no longer hold up from the damage coming in. Even if I could avoid the poison, there is no way I could ever deal enough damage. It so blatantly wasn't tested...
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Dead Space (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,413 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I really have to question that One Boss trope page and some of the entries. Like, Tiny Tiger in Crash Bandicoot 2? Really? That is not remotely close to "one boss" territory. It is not hard to realize you jump away from him and lure him to jump somewhere that a platform is about to fall down so he falls too. Errm

I will agree with the entry for Delirium from The Binding of Isaac though. That thing is horrible and people have begged for it to get a rework because of how broken it is. I've only ever defeated it by having a run so utterly broken it doesn't get time to hurt me.

Also I just finished playing a game that might get one of the freshest entries in this thread, which although I don't know the name of it it was a boss in Dungeon Clawler. This piece of shit ended my entire run like it was nothing and I could do nothing about it. Every turn it stacked 3 poison onto me, and also stacked 3 heal per attack onto itself. It has 400hp, and each turn it gets to attack 5 times. Here's how its turns went:
  1. Attacks 5x for 4 damage each time, which I block but it still heals for 15 (5x3) and at the end of the turn inflicts 3 poison damage on me. Any damage I did was pretty much all healed. 
  2. Attacks 5x4d but now heals 6hp per attack, so now it heals 30hp. I can't even deal this much damage in two turns. I also now get 6 poison damage. 
  3. Heals 45hp, gives me 9 poison. 
  4. 60hp, 12 poison. 
  5. 75hp, 15 poison. 
  6. 90hp, 18 poison. 
I had no chance by the second turn in this fight but this was how far I held out before my health could no longer hold up from the damage coming in. Even if I could avoid the poison, there is no way I could ever deal enough damage. It so blatantly wasn't tested...