What (Sci-fi) Inventions in Fictional Media...
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Moonlighter (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 28,639
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
...do you think would be good/bad if they were to ever exist in real life? 

I'll start with what I feel is the elephant in the room which is flying cars. With the way people drive I'm glad these things don't exist and I hope they never do. Even if people could generally be trusted, I'd be worried about what happens in the event of a car accident or breakdown. Flying cars would presumably mean more walkable spaces, so a flying car encountering anything that could cause it to suddenly come down would create way more carnage than what cars can currently do in the same situations. Errm

Also while writing this I decided to put sci-fi in brackets because I thought of how cool chain mail from Fullmetal Alchemist would be but I don't think that's a sci-fi invention. But it is a fictional one. Tongue
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 28,639 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
...do you think would be good/bad if they were to ever exist in real life? 

I'll start with what I feel is the elephant in the room which is flying cars. With the way people drive I'm glad these things don't exist and I hope they never do. Even if people could generally be trusted, I'd be worried about what happens in the event of a car accident or breakdown. Flying cars would presumably mean more walkable spaces, so a flying car encountering anything that could cause it to suddenly come down would create way more carnage than what cars can currently do in the same situations. Errm

Also while writing this I decided to put sci-fi in brackets because I thought of how cool chain mail from Fullmetal Alchemist would be but I don't think that's a sci-fi invention. But it is a fictional one. Tongue
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 9,153
Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
Yeah, I can barely trust drivers in two dimensions, so three dimensions is totally out of the question!

On the other hand, something like the Medi Gun from Team Fortress 2 would be insanely useful... not sure if I can count that as "sci-fi", though Tongue .
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 9,153 Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
Yeah, I can barely trust drivers in two dimensions, so three dimensions is totally out of the question!

On the other hand, something like the Medi Gun from Team Fortress 2 would be insanely useful... not sure if I can count that as "sci-fi", though Tongue .
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jun 22nd, 2024, 12:23 AM)Kyng Wrote:
Yeah, things like this is what encouraged me to not make this thread focused on just sci-fi inventions. Looking up how that gun works, I would definitely appreciate it existing right now to alleviate the horrible pain I have in both ankles right now from unknown causes. Nooo

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, things like this is what encouraged me to not make this thread focused on just sci-fi inventions. Looking up how that gun works, I would definitely appreciate it existing right now to alleviate the horrible pain I have in both ankles right now from unknown causes. Nooo
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 9,153
Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
(Jun 23rd, 2024, 04:58 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Well, I hope you feel better soon!

And of course, if we had those, we would've not had to endure a pandemic at the start of the decade, and everywhere could've stayed open Tongue .
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 9,153 Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
(Jun 23rd, 2024, 04:58 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Well, I hope you feel better soon!

And of course, if we had those, we would've not had to endure a pandemic at the start of the decade, and everywhere could've stayed open Tongue .
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,814
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Who needs flying cars when there could be physical teleporters about? Er....actually no because of the amount of people that might be using them, there could be just queues of people, or if everyone had their own personal teleporters, what if numerous people travel to the same area at the same time, what could happen then? Oh geez, a pile up, or a sudden amalgamation of human bodies formed into one, OSHI--

Ah, it's automail, not chainmail, Moony. Although I did forget then name and had to remind myself, but yeah having a proper fully functioning arm/body part if anyone lost something would be cool.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,814 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Who needs flying cars when there could be physical teleporters about? Er....actually no because of the amount of people that might be using them, there could be just queues of people, or if everyone had their own personal teleporters, what if numerous people travel to the same area at the same time, what could happen then? Oh geez, a pile up, or a sudden amalgamation of human bodies formed into one, OSHI--

Ah, it's automail, not chainmail, Moony. Although I did forget then name and had to remind myself, but yeah having a proper fully functioning arm/body part if anyone lost something would be cool.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Pokemon Violet [Switch] ACNH [Steam] BK:EW&tLO
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 10,168
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I know a lot of things were created due to science fiction. The star trek communicators turned into phones, and maybe in the future there will be better tech we can use to communicate with.

In the Back to the Future movie, there was a Black and Decker rehydraor that rehydrated a pizza. Imagine instead of reheating a meal you rehydrate it.
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: ffix-p10.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Pokemon Violet [Switch] ACNH [Steam] BK:EW&tLO
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 10,168 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I know a lot of things were created due to science fiction. The star trek communicators turned into phones, and maybe in the future there will be better tech we can use to communicate with.

In the Back to the Future movie, there was a Black and Decker rehydraor that rehydrated a pizza. Imagine instead of reheating a meal you rehydrate it.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jun 24th, 2024, 09:22 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
I'd be concerned about if one just stopped working for some reason too, and then everyone who traveled through it are currently trapped. If this were to be a thing though, there's only one way I really want it done and that's as a replacement for airports. Instead of taking planes, you go through a teleporter at your scheduled travel time where tickets are done just to keep things orderly and managed. The downside (not really for us but from a business perspective) is I don't see how teleporters could do tiers of travel like economy, first class, etc. like flights currently do. It's not like you need to have a reclining seat and a meal. ROFL

(Jun 25th, 2024, 12:28 AM)queenzelda Wrote:
In the Back to the Future movie, there was a Black and Decker rehydraor that rehydrated a pizza.  Imagine instead of reheating a meal you rehydrate it.
I could see it being a thing one day since dehydrated food already exists, and apparently you can rehydrate some of it like vegetables. Regardless of method though I'd take something that cooks food as fast as it does in BttF over waiting on an oven.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jun 24th, 2024, 09:22 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
I'd be concerned about if one just stopped working for some reason too, and then everyone who traveled through it are currently trapped. If this were to be a thing though, there's only one way I really want it done and that's as a replacement for airports. Instead of taking planes, you go through a teleporter at your scheduled travel time where tickets are done just to keep things orderly and managed. The downside (not really for us but from a business perspective) is I don't see how teleporters could do tiers of travel like economy, first class, etc. like flights currently do. It's not like you need to have a reclining seat and a meal. ROFL

(Jun 25th, 2024, 12:28 AM)queenzelda Wrote:
In the Back to the Future movie, there was a Black and Decker rehydraor that rehydrated a pizza.  Imagine instead of reheating a meal you rehydrate it.
I could see it being a thing one day since dehydrated food already exists, and apparently you can rehydrate some of it like vegetables. Regardless of method though I'd take something that cooks food as fast as it does in BttF over waiting on an oven.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are your "once-and-done" pieces of media? Nightingale 9 6,651 Jul 13th, 2022, 10:52 PM
Last Post: WR91
  Your Media Backlog ShiraNoMai 3 1,350 Jul 13th, 2022, 02:42 AM
Last Post: WR91