lp0 on fire Offline
PC Load Letter WTF does that mean?!
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
XP: 3,152
Uncharted Tomb Raider Tekken 
So with Gamestop announcing they are looking for a buyer, it seems safe to assume they are doing poorly.
It makes sense in some ways with Gamestop often being an example of bad service and how much of a joke their trade-ins are. But there is a part of me that misses the days when it was Babbage's, Software Ect, and Funcoland. I have many young childhood memories of going in to the local Babbage's and looking at the PC games there like Sim City and others, Funcoland was where I got some of my gameboy games. Then one day The three merged in to GameStop, and although okay at first it ended up with three Gamestops on one corner, the former Babbages at NW corner of an intersection, then one at the SW corner, and a third at the SE corner (funny enough the NE corner is/was a Toys R Us).
I remember pre ordering (when there was only physical releases for games so preorders were required for a big title) Star Wars BattleFront 1 and 2 there (the original one)

Honestly I miss the days of physical retail, the Big Box release had nice thick manuals on the game and sometimes extras, I miss holding the box and the manual in my hand just thinking about how much fun I was going to have as I waited for the game to install, it just isn't the same waiting for steam to download the game honestly, you dont get to see the installer or the preview shots it had, or in the old days the game CD also might of had other game's demos on the disk because 750 mb yo, back form the day when the only other common form of portable storage was 1.44MB.

Zaythus Network Community Lifeboat man I suck at advertising stuff...
[Image: pcmascot.png]
Putting the 'Percussive' in 'Maintenance' since Before (most of) you were born.
Any post do not reflect the views of Zaythus Netwroks Inc nor it's new Murderous OverLoard Tap A Talk (hereby referred to as "TAT").
Any posts do not necessary reflect the views of the poster, after all he does shitpost from time to time, like right now.

Percussive maintenance - the art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work again.
We need Tables!
The community's grumpy old man who goes on long winded rants.
WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
[Image: BDay-18-2nd.png]
[Image: ZUW3rka.gif]
Spooky scary skeletons
Send shivers down your spine
Shrieking skulls will shock your soul
Seal your doom tonight
[Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_qbGJuxCYY]
https://i.imgur.com/DVjkd5Z.gif
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
XP: 3,152 Uncharted Tomb Raider Tekken 
So with Gamestop announcing they are looking for a buyer, it seems safe to assume they are doing poorly.
It makes sense in some ways with Gamestop often being an example of bad service and how much of a joke their trade-ins are. But there is a part of me that misses the days when it was Babbage's, Software Ect, and Funcoland. I have many young childhood memories of going in to the local Babbage's and looking at the PC games there like Sim City and others, Funcoland was where I got some of my gameboy games. Then one day The three merged in to GameStop, and although okay at first it ended up with three Gamestops on one corner, the former Babbages at NW corner of an intersection, then one at the SW corner, and a third at the SE corner (funny enough the NE corner is/was a Toys R Us).
I remember pre ordering (when there was only physical releases for games so preorders were required for a big title) Star Wars BattleFront 1 and 2 there (the original one)

Honestly I miss the days of physical retail, the Big Box release had nice thick manuals on the game and sometimes extras, I miss holding the box and the manual in my hand just thinking about how much fun I was going to have as I waited for the game to install, it just isn't the same waiting for steam to download the game honestly, you dont get to see the installer or the preview shots it had, or in the old days the game CD also might of had other game's demos on the disk because 750 mb yo, back form the day when the only other common form of portable storage was 1.44MB.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,160
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I'm not surprised that Gamestop may be having problems. There's no reason to go there over anywhere else unless they have items that supermarkets don't tend to get. Plus if anyone thinks of ordering a game online to be delivered, most probably think of using Amazon first.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,160 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I'm not surprised that Gamestop may be having problems. There's no reason to go there over anywhere else unless they have items that supermarkets don't tend to get. Plus if anyone thinks of ordering a game online to be delivered, most probably think of using Amazon first.
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
XP: 5,252
Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
Gamestop's deals used to be the equivalent of one cruel joke to put on your friends, from what I have been told.

A friend of mine got like 99 cents for his PS2 game. I mean, come on.
When leaves have fallen.
And skies turned to grey.
The night keeps on closing in on the day.
A nightingale sings his song of farewell.
You better hide from her freezing hell. ~ Ice Queen, Within Temptation.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
XP: 5,252 Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
Gamestop's deals used to be the equivalent of one cruel joke to put on your friends, from what I have been told.

A friend of mine got like 99 cents for his PS2 game. I mean, come on.
King Atem Offline
Playstation King
Currently Playing
Ni No Kuni: WotWW HD [PS4]
Favourite Platform(s)
PS2 | PS4 | Switch
XP: 1,163
Chrono (Shiny) Tomb Raider Fallout 
GS stop is going under huh? Good, about time. They should have gone under long before Gamefreak went under.

Oh, to add insult to injury for some weird readon, GS is going to be selling COMIC BOOKS now. source Wtf?
King Atem Offline
Playstation King
Currently Playing
Ni No Kuni: WotWW HD [PS4]
Favourite Platform(s)
PS2 | PS4 | Switch
XP: 1,163 Chrono (Shiny) Tomb Raider Fallout 
GS stop is going under huh? Good, about time. They should have gone under long before Gamefreak went under.

Oh, to add insult to injury for some weird readon, GS is going to be selling COMIC BOOKS now. source Wtf?
Hotspot Offline
Does this avatar make me look fat?
Currently Playing
Overwatch, Legend of Zorldo: Breath of the Winds
Favourite Platform(s)
PS2
XP: 268
Mega Man Bioshock 
Gamestop was okay, I usually got their used games.. because I was never interested in the new games. But I also used to get my games at Toys R us, back in the day, that was my go to place. I don't know if you guys have heard of it, but there used to be a grocery store called Pathmark. They had a little clearance bin of video games, I found a few interesting games there too. lol
Now I just get everything online.

Actually, I heard today that they were going to sell comics?

Some of my posts are satire, so don't take me too seriously! : P
Hotspot Offline
Does this avatar make me look fat?
Currently Playing
Overwatch, Legend of Zorldo: Breath of the Winds
Favourite Platform(s)
PS2
XP: 268 Mega Man Bioshock 
Gamestop was okay, I usually got their used games.. because I was never interested in the new games. But I also used to get my games at Toys R us, back in the day, that was my go to place. I don't know if you guys have heard of it, but there used to be a grocery store called Pathmark. They had a little clearance bin of video games, I found a few interesting games there too. lol
Now I just get everything online.

Actually, I heard today that they were going to sell comics?
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
Actually comics might be a good idea, there is a big cross over of comic fans and non casual gamers.
How comic stores and game stores are ran/manage are not that different so it might help keep them afloat. Honestly last time I walked in to a GameStop it didn't feel that much different from a comic shop with them selling non gaming stuff anyways like those oversized head things and what not.

Any post do not reflect the views of Zaythus Netwroks Inc nor it's new Murderous OverLoard Tap A Talk (hereby referred to as "TAT").
Any posts do not necessary reflect the views of the poster, after all he does shitpost from time to time, like right now.

Percussive maintenance - the art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work again.
We need Tables!
WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
Spooky scary skeletons
Seal your doom tonight
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
Actually comics might be a good idea, there is a big cross over of comic fans and non casual gamers.
How comic stores and game stores are ran/manage are not that different so it might help keep them afloat. Honestly last time I walked in to a GameStop it didn't feel that much different from a comic shop with them selling non gaming stuff anyways like those oversized head things and what not.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jun 26th, 2018, 02:13 AM)King Atem Wrote:
If it was video-game comics and books, I wouldn't find it as out of place as regular comics, but I'd rather see comics in there than some of the random shit they sell like strategy guides which are surely a dead market these days.

Gamestop should also address their problems with supply vs. demand, since they sometimes do have really cool things such as a Mario Star tree topper at Christmas of which most stores were lucky to get more than 2 of. Ditch the bargain bin shit people don't want and get more of the actual decent products in stock that people will probably be going to your store to try and get. Errm

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
If it was video-game comics and books, I wouldn't find it as out of place as regular comics, but I'd rather see comics in there than some of the random shit they sell like strategy guides which are surely a dead market these days.

Gamestop should also address their problems with supply vs. demand, since they sometimes do have really cool things such as a Mario Star tree topper at Christmas of which most stores were lucky to get more than 2 of. Ditch the bargain bin shit people don't want and get more of the actual decent products in stock that people will probably be going to your store to try and get. Errm
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
(Jun 26th, 2018, 05:39 PM)Moonface Wrote:
since they sometimes do have really cool things such as a Mario Star tree topper at Christmas of which most stores were lucky to get more than 2 of.

Implying Nintendo and them not using Artificial scarcity Whistle

We need Tables!
Spooky scary skeletons
Seal your doom tonight
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
(Jun 26th, 2018, 05:39 PM)Moonface Wrote:
since they sometimes do have really cool things such as a Mario Star tree topper at Christmas of which most stores were lucky to get more than 2 of.

Implying Nintendo and them not using Artificial scarcity Whistle
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Given it was a Gamestop exclusive, I put the blame entirely on them. Severely limiting stock of a Christmas item that people will want at Christmas is stupid business, especially when they likely don't have plans to sell it again this year.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Given it was a Gamestop exclusive, I put the blame entirely on them. Severely limiting stock of a Christmas item that people will want at Christmas is stupid business, especially when they likely don't have plans to sell it again this year.
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
(Jun 26th, 2018, 05:46 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Nintendo is notorious for extremely limiting stock of their stuff (NES classic, SNES classic, Amiibos, et al), I would not be surprised if Nintendo speculated in the licensing contract that only so many could be made.

Edit: what the hell I am vaguely defending GameStop what has my life become?!

We need Tables!
Spooky scary skeletons
Seal your doom tonight
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
(Jun 26th, 2018, 05:46 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Nintendo is notorious for extremely limiting stock of their stuff (NES classic, SNES classic, Amiibos, et al), I would not be surprised if Nintendo speculated in the licensing contract that only so many could be made.

Edit: what the hell I am vaguely defending GameStop what has my life become?!
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,367
Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
Honestly I have no opinion about GS going under. I hope their buyers are a better company than they were. I only remember ever going into one in the mall and when I tried to buy Kingdom Hearts 1 from them used they would give me KH2!

I know its due to the whole logo thing, but the character design is pretty different from KH1 Sora. Look at the disc friend!
[Image: 30-humptypunch3.gif]
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,367 Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
Honestly I have no opinion about GS going under. I hope their buyers are a better company than they were. I only remember ever going into one in the mall and when I tried to buy Kingdom Hearts 1 from them used they would give me KH2!

I know its due to the whole logo thing, but the character design is pretty different from KH1 Sora. Look at the disc friend!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I know they are. However they've never limited something where a store is only receiving one or two of the item, which is why I think Gamestop are the more likely culprit for the limited stock. No employee's also claimed Nintendo were the reason for the limited stock either, and I'm sure Gamestop would take any chance they get at making someone else look bad instead of themselves.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I know they are. However they've never limited something where a store is only receiving one or two of the item, which is why I think Gamestop are the more likely culprit for the limited stock. No employee's also claimed Nintendo were the reason for the limited stock either, and I'm sure Gamestop would take any chance they get at making someone else look bad instead of themselves.
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Good. Hope they go under and have to shut every store down. Gamestop is a disease in the gaming world that needs to be purged.
2023 Platinum Goal: 1/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Remnant: From the Ashes
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Good. Hope they go under and have to shut every store down. Gamestop is a disease in the gaming world that needs to be purged.
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,367
Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
....Wait do you think they'll have one of those huge closing out sales?

EVERYTHING MUST GO! BUY ALL THEIR GAMES!
[Image: 30-humptypunch3.gif]
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,367 Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
....Wait do you think they'll have one of those huge closing out sales?

EVERYTHING MUST GO! BUY ALL THEIR GAMES!
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
XP: 5,252
Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
I'd feel sorry for the people working there that are gonna be rendered jobless, because of inept management.
When leaves have fallen.
And skies turned to grey.
The night keeps on closing in on the day.
A nightingale sings his song of farewell.
You better hide from her freezing hell. ~ Ice Queen, Within Temptation.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
XP: 5,252 Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
I'd feel sorry for the people working there that are gonna be rendered jobless, because of inept management.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The GameStop Stock Wars Moonface 8 3,403 Feb 1st, 2021, 10:21 PM
Last Post: Dragon Lord