Elden Ring | Shadow of the Erdtree Trailer
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,732
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Yeah, I noticed that certain bosses show up later as regular enemies and I'm not sure how I feel about that either. I would prefer it was like Sekiro, where bosses that resemble regular enemies are their own special variants that are the climax of facing the regular enemies that are in that same class. At least then it wouldn't diminish a boss by relegating them nor would it have the feeling of padding or copy/paste by reusing a foe as an enemy and a boss.

Have you got a favourite boss yet @Dragon Lord (or anyone else who's played/seen enough of the game) out of those you've fought/seen?
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,732 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Yeah, I noticed that certain bosses show up later as regular enemies and I'm not sure how I feel about that either. I would prefer it was like Sekiro, where bosses that resemble regular enemies are their own special variants that are the climax of facing the regular enemies that are in that same class. At least then it wouldn't diminish a boss by relegating them nor would it have the feeling of padding or copy/paste by reusing a foe as an enemy and a boss.

Have you got a favourite boss yet @Dragon Lord (or anyone else who's played/seen enough of the game) out of those you've fought/seen?
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Stellar Blade | Sword of the Necromancer | Bravely Default II | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,818
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Well, bosses becoming normal enemies later isn't anything new to the Souls games. Dark Souls did it with the Taurus Demon, Capra Demon and the Moonlight Butterfly. Dark Souls 2 did it with a few bosses as well. That's not something that I have a problem with. The problem with how they did it in Elden Ring is that I've encountered these normal enemies as bosses after I encountered their normal enemy versions. They went with quantity of bosses over quality of bosses, and that's not normally what they do and it's kind of bad to see.

I have encountered one boss that I liked a lot. Unfortunately a lot of bosses in this game are just... eh. I've encountered a couple that just feel so cheap. Fromsoft bosses are usually pretty tough, but you never really feel cheated. I encountered one boss that had basically no recovery time after its attacks, had insane reach, and had the good ol' Dark Souls 2 100% tracking on its attacks. Meaning that when it would do a big jumping attack, I'd roll behind it/to the side of where the attack should have landed, and instead the boss would do a mid-air 180%/complete change of direction and smash my face in with the attack. He also had another attack where he slashed twice, and the second slash was so fast after the first, that it'd catch you at the end of your roll from dodging the first slash. Boss just felt like a huge "fuck you" to the player, especially after it turned out that you can just stagger-lock the boss the entire fight with jumping attacks. :| Was not pleased with that boss. Felt like they over-tuned its difficulty, expecting players to cheese it like that.
2023 Platinum Goal: 3/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Sword of the Vagrant
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Stellar Blade | Sword of the Necromancer | Bravely Default II | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,818 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Well, bosses becoming normal enemies later isn't anything new to the Souls games. Dark Souls did it with the Taurus Demon, Capra Demon and the Moonlight Butterfly. Dark Souls 2 did it with a few bosses as well. That's not something that I have a problem with. The problem with how they did it in Elden Ring is that I've encountered these normal enemies as bosses after I encountered their normal enemy versions. They went with quantity of bosses over quality of bosses, and that's not normally what they do and it's kind of bad to see.

I have encountered one boss that I liked a lot. Unfortunately a lot of bosses in this game are just... eh. I've encountered a couple that just feel so cheap. Fromsoft bosses are usually pretty tough, but you never really feel cheated. I encountered one boss that had basically no recovery time after its attacks, had insane reach, and had the good ol' Dark Souls 2 100% tracking on its attacks. Meaning that when it would do a big jumping attack, I'd roll behind it/to the side of where the attack should have landed, and instead the boss would do a mid-air 180%/complete change of direction and smash my face in with the attack. He also had another attack where he slashed twice, and the second slash was so fast after the first, that it'd catch you at the end of your roll from dodging the first slash. Boss just felt like a huge "fuck you" to the player, especially after it turned out that you can just stagger-lock the boss the entire fight with jumping attacks. :| Was not pleased with that boss. Felt like they over-tuned its difficulty, expecting players to cheese it like that.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Mar 2nd, 2022, 02:07 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
I've seen bosses like those you're mentioning. The worst I've seen is one a streamer I follow has been on for almost the entire day called Malenia, Blade of Miquella which even he says is awfully done, and he's done all the Souls games at level 1 and Sekiro deathless with Kuro's charm so it's not like the guy isn't experienced with Souls bosses. She just has such long combo attacks where I don't get how you're supposed to avoid being hit when rolling clearly isn't going to give long enough i-frames to get through such a long attack, and the range is so far that you can't even roll away from the rest of it either.

I wonder if the game being so open and having so many options for combat may have caused some bosses to feel badly designed because they can't be as finely tailored to the players current status and progress like in the linear FromSoft games. I saw one boss that seemed practically tailored for long range magic and such and doing it with melee basically turned into a game of luck with RNG to not be buried by multiple attacks without a long enough window to attack back or pop a heal.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Mar 2nd, 2022, 02:07 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
I've seen bosses like those you're mentioning. The worst I've seen is one a streamer I follow has been on for almost the entire day called Malenia, Blade of Miquella which even he says is awfully done, and he's done all the Souls games at level 1 and Sekiro deathless with Kuro's charm so it's not like the guy isn't experienced with Souls bosses. She just has such long combo attacks where I don't get how you're supposed to avoid being hit when rolling clearly isn't going to give long enough i-frames to get through such a long attack, and the range is so far that you can't even roll away from the rest of it either.

I wonder if the game being so open and having so many options for combat may have caused some bosses to feel badly designed because they can't be as finely tailored to the players current status and progress like in the linear FromSoft games. I saw one boss that seemed practically tailored for long range magic and such and doing it with melee basically turned into a game of luck with RNG to not be buried by multiple attacks without a long enough window to attack back or pop a heal.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
That's the issue with Elden Ring I've seen so far: Everything feels like it was made to be countered by a magic build. It honestly feels like you're being extremely punished for playing a non-magic build at a lot of points in this game. There are some areas in the game that have enemies that have insanely high physical DEF and your attacks actually bounce off of them as if you're hitting a shield, leaving you wide open for their counter. So you're forced to parry them (though if you miss the timing, good luck because they'll either one-shot you or put you right on death's door). Though even a riposte with a 140 crit dagger didn't even do half of their health, which is pretty insane. Magic builds would be able to go through the area and just drop everything in an instant. So yeah, I definitely don't like how tailored this game feels to magic builds over melee builds.

Another thing that I'm kinda madge about right now is that I can't find ANY DEX WEAPONS! Every weapon I find is either a quality weapon (split scaling between STR and DEX) or a pure STR weapon. Then to make things worse, of all the weapons I've found so far, only one can be made into Keen (which is the DEX scaling upgrade path) and those are Katanas. I can't even upgrade Curved Swords to Keen, when Curved Swords have generally been DEX weapons throughout the Souls games. So it feels even worse trying to do a DEX build in this game because so far I've literally been restricted to just Katanas for weapons if I want one that actually scales decently with my stats.

I am having fun with the Claw weapon though. It seems they did give this weapon a bit of buffing in this game. Two-handing it makes you have dual claws too , no need to find a second pair of them, and gives you a unique move-set. The bleed is really good on them and the damage is pretty good too, which is a huge change from the lackluster damage the Claws have done in past Souls games. The moveset with the dual claws actually reminds me a lot of Bloodborne, which is probably why I like it so much, haha. I kind of themed my character's armor around being "feral" as well to try and match the batshit crazy playstyle of the claws. I'll provide a screenshot later to show you what I mean, as I don't have time before work to do it now.

But yeah, I'm loving the game overall, but there's definitely some stuff that leaves me scratching my head. My biggest gripe with the game though, as I've mentioned before, is that it's Dark Souls 4. It's not even like what Bloodborne was -- a Souls game in nature, but completely different and its own unique thing at the same time -- Elden Ring is just straight up Dark Souls 4. Everything about it is the same as Dark Souls, just with an open world and a horse (with really bad horseback combat).
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
That's the issue with Elden Ring I've seen so far: Everything feels like it was made to be countered by a magic build. It honestly feels like you're being extremely punished for playing a non-magic build at a lot of points in this game. There are some areas in the game that have enemies that have insanely high physical DEF and your attacks actually bounce off of them as if you're hitting a shield, leaving you wide open for their counter. So you're forced to parry them (though if you miss the timing, good luck because they'll either one-shot you or put you right on death's door). Though even a riposte with a 140 crit dagger didn't even do half of their health, which is pretty insane. Magic builds would be able to go through the area and just drop everything in an instant. So yeah, I definitely don't like how tailored this game feels to magic builds over melee builds.

Another thing that I'm kinda madge about right now is that I can't find ANY DEX WEAPONS! Every weapon I find is either a quality weapon (split scaling between STR and DEX) or a pure STR weapon. Then to make things worse, of all the weapons I've found so far, only one can be made into Keen (which is the DEX scaling upgrade path) and those are Katanas. I can't even upgrade Curved Swords to Keen, when Curved Swords have generally been DEX weapons throughout the Souls games. So it feels even worse trying to do a DEX build in this game because so far I've literally been restricted to just Katanas for weapons if I want one that actually scales decently with my stats.

I am having fun with the Claw weapon though. It seems they did give this weapon a bit of buffing in this game. Two-handing it makes you have dual claws too , no need to find a second pair of them, and gives you a unique move-set. The bleed is really good on them and the damage is pretty good too, which is a huge change from the lackluster damage the Claws have done in past Souls games. The moveset with the dual claws actually reminds me a lot of Bloodborne, which is probably why I like it so much, haha. I kind of themed my character's armor around being "feral" as well to try and match the batshit crazy playstyle of the claws. I'll provide a screenshot later to show you what I mean, as I don't have time before work to do it now.

But yeah, I'm loving the game overall, but there's definitely some stuff that leaves me scratching my head. My biggest gripe with the game though, as I've mentioned before, is that it's Dark Souls 4. It's not even like what Bloodborne was -- a Souls game in nature, but completely different and its own unique thing at the same time -- Elden Ring is just straight up Dark Souls 4. Everything about it is the same as Dark Souls, just with an open world and a horse (with really bad horseback combat).
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728
Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
I just needed to post in here because I needed everyone to know that I die. I die so bad. I die so good. I die so much. I die.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728 Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
I just needed to post in here because I needed everyone to know that I die. I die so bad. I die so good. I die so much. I die.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Mar 2nd, 2022, 03:21 PM)Monocle Wrote:
Have you been dying less as you progress or has it been kicking your arse consistently no matter where you go or how far you get? Tongue

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Mar 2nd, 2022, 03:21 PM)Monocle Wrote:
Have you been dying less as you progress or has it been kicking your arse consistently no matter where you go or how far you get? Tongue
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
(Mar 2nd, 2022, 03:28 PM)Moonface Wrote:

nope! just stop consistently dying. Gary said I should already have +2 and +3 weapons and mine is still default! It's been fantastic not living all over the map. oh yeah
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
(Mar 2nd, 2022, 03:28 PM)Moonface Wrote:

nope! just stop consistently dying. Gary said I should already have +2 and +3 weapons and mine is still default! It's been fantastic not living all over the map. oh yeah
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Have you managed to kill any bosses yet at least? Tongue

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Have you managed to kill any bosses yet at least? Tongue
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
oh yeah I've looked a few of those mini bosses but not the story ones yet. not at all. I need better equipment
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
oh yeah I've looked a few of those mini bosses but not the story ones yet. not at all. I need better equipment
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,129
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I'm with you, Monocle, I'm dying so many times. I've beaten only one "boss" so far and I mean the Pumpkin Head boss in a ruin that is a normal enemy later, which I already I found one of guarding a small castle with a bunch of soldiers that I had to retreat from. I have explored a bit and been fighting standard enemies, most of them weak some that have caused trouble but did win against. Didn't try fighting Tree Sentinel immediately but have trying just now against him, but to no avail and will level up a bit more before I try again. Got plenty to explore anyway. I do have a plan for Tree Sentinel but I keep screwing up.

EDIT: Done another minor boss, the wolf guy that was in a cave with wolves and finally Tree Sentinel. Got 'im! Had my solution all along, the mace I bought that hits harder than my Scimitars, so I'll consider using that more when on Torrent.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,129 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I'm with you, Monocle, I'm dying so many times. I've beaten only one "boss" so far and I mean the Pumpkin Head boss in a ruin that is a normal enemy later, which I already I found one of guarding a small castle with a bunch of soldiers that I had to retreat from. I have explored a bit and been fighting standard enemies, most of them weak some that have caused trouble but did win against. Didn't try fighting Tree Sentinel immediately but have trying just now against him, but to no avail and will level up a bit more before I try again. Got plenty to explore anyway. I do have a plan for Tree Sentinel but I keep screwing up.

EDIT: Done another minor boss, the wolf guy that was in a cave with wolves and finally Tree Sentinel. Got 'im! Had my solution all along, the mace I bought that hits harder than my Scimitars, so I'll consider using that more when on Torrent.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
To be fair @Mr EliteL I'd be impressed if you weren't dying a lot since this is your first Souls-style game. XD

How can you tell if a boss is a story boss in this game by the way? I'm curious how they made that distinction in an open world game.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
To be fair @Mr EliteL I'd be impressed if you weren't dying a lot since this is your first Souls-style game. XD

How can you tell if a boss is a story boss in this game by the way? I'm curious how they made that distinction in an open world game.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Story bosses tend to have a cutscene when you enter the boss arena, while non-story bosses you just go in and fight the boss with nothing else.

One thing I do like a lot about Elden Ring is that there are some random bosses in the world that only spawn at night. Nice little touch to give some incentive to re-visit areas at night. Also provides for especially good "OH SHIT!" moments when you're exploring in the dark and all of a sudden the music changes and a health bar pops up, but you can't see where the boss is.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Story bosses tend to have a cutscene when you enter the boss arena, while non-story bosses you just go in and fight the boss with nothing else.

One thing I do like a lot about Elden Ring is that there are some random bosses in the world that only spawn at night. Nice little touch to give some incentive to re-visit areas at night. Also provides for especially good "OH SHIT!" moments when you're exploring in the dark and all of a sudden the music changes and a health bar pops up, but you can't see where the boss is.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (PC) | Cassette Beasts (PC) | For The King (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,266
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
What stat builds are you folk going for?
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,266 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
What stat builds are you folk going for?
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
I'm going against advice and got for Dex/Int build because I'm a masochist and I deserve to hurt so good. I randomly sprinkle in a little End so I can carry heavier shit
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
I'm going against advice and got for Dex/Int build because I'm a masochist and I deserve to hurt so good. I randomly sprinkle in a little End so I can carry heavier shit
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,266
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Ooh, have you found any neat spells to use? Been watching someone do a mage build as their second run and it's been interesting.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,266 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Ooh, have you found any neat spells to use? Been watching someone do a mage build as their second run and it's been interesting.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tekken 8 | Season 1 Trailer Moonface 211 10,722 Yesterday, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Final Fantasy XVI | DLC Trailer + Release Dates Moonface 19 2,662 Dec 8th, 2023, 04:50 AM
Last Post: Moonface
  Shadow of the Tomb Raider King Atem 10 9,336 Jul 21st, 2023, 12:52 PM
Last Post: WR91