Parents in Video Games
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Moonlighter (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 28,508
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I was going to make this thread about mother's in video games since today is Mother's Day (in the US) but I don't see the point in not just focusing on parents in games in general instead. 

Anyway, are there any parents in games that you like/dislike? I feel like parents aren't really common in games and the only one I can think of easily is the mother in every Pokémon game because your father never seems to exist in those games. Tongue
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 28,508 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I was going to make this thread about mother's in video games since today is Mother's Day (in the US) but I don't see the point in not just focusing on parents in games in general instead. 

Anyway, are there any parents in games that you like/dislike? I feel like parents aren't really common in games and the only one I can think of easily is the mother in every Pokémon game because your father never seems to exist in those games. Tongue
ShiraNoMai Online
🖤🤍💜 / 🩷💛💙
Moderators
Currently Playing
Minecraft: Drehmal (PC) | Golden Yoshi's Island (SNES) | Pokémon Violet (Switch)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 27,082
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I think Kratos' journey into being a single father in God of War 2018 was a really good showcase for his character and how he's changed over the course of the games he's been in. This wasn't his first rodeo into parenthood--you see in the prior God of War games that he's had a family to love and care for (his white skin is a testament to that). He is, however, new to being the sole parent in the family, which is something he clearly left to the job of his wives. Through his interactions with Atreus and other helpful friends in the Norse realm, he essentially turns a weakness of his into a strength, which I think is apt for a character known for their might/prowess.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Online
🖤🤍💜 / 🩷💛💙
Currently Playing
Minecraft: Drehmal (PC) | Golden Yoshi's Island (SNES) | Pokémon Violet (Switch)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 27,082 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I think Kratos' journey into being a single father in God of War 2018 was a really good showcase for his character and how he's changed over the course of the games he's been in. This wasn't his first rodeo into parenthood--you see in the prior God of War games that he's had a family to love and care for (his white skin is a testament to that). He is, however, new to being the sole parent in the family, which is something he clearly left to the job of his wives. Through his interactions with Atreus and other helpful friends in the Norse realm, he essentially turns a weakness of his into a strength, which I think is apt for a character known for their might/prowess.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(May 15th, 2024, 06:46 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Although the original God of War trilogy shows Kratos cared for his family given them dying by his hand is the driving factor in him going postal on the Greek gods, are there any moments where he really demonstrates that love/care for them in a way that isn't by killing something else? With how he's portrayed as a father in the Norse games I get the impression he didn't really show a gentle caring side towards his family or we are least didn't really see it because that side of him was before when the games take place.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(May 15th, 2024, 06:46 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Although the original God of War trilogy shows Kratos cared for his family given them dying by his hand is the driving factor in him going postal on the Greek gods, are there any moments where he really demonstrates that love/care for them in a way that isn't by killing something else? With how he's portrayed as a father in the Norse games I get the impression he didn't really show a gentle caring side towards his family or we are least didn't really see it because that side of him was before when the games take place.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Damn I'm actually ashamed I never thought of this one and just realized it should've been the most obvious one to me for how many games I've played of Tekken.

The entire Mishima family is just front to back bad parenting of varying degrees of "how do I want to abuse/potentially kill my child today". Tekken 7 tries to make Heihachi seem "justified" for what he did to Kazuya but we all know he's still actually a bastard. Kazuya is... actually hard to judge as a parent because he isn't even alive when Jin is born and doesn't make his return until Jin has reached 21 so there's no way to know how he would have raised Jin. He doesn't seem to have any care for Jin but I wonder if any parent would have a connection to their child when they don't know they even have one and only find out once that child has become an adult?
Jin did at least have Jun though, who was a decent mother to him until she died/disappeared. So at least the Mishima family tree has one known decent parent in it. LOL

Nina has a child too but I can't really blame her for hating Steve. The poor guy was born as a result of Heihachi using eggs taken from Nina while she was cryogenically frozen against her will, so not only did she not want a child but it was done from using her in experiments she never consented to. While it isn't Steve's fault of course he does represent a period of her life that she reviles and it's no surprise she wants nothing to do with him or anything related to that time.

Marshall Law seems to be one of the few decent parents in Tekken at least. He takes care of his son Forest, even if he might be a little overprotective, and when his son gets into a bad motorcycle accident he enters the Fifth King of Iron Fist Tournament to try and pay off the medical expenses.

Michelle Chang adopts a daughter but we don't really hear anything more about it, but I think it's safe to assume she's a decent parent.

I don't think there's any other characters in Tekken that are a parent. Writing it out I actually didn't expect an even balance between decent and shit parents but that's mostly because the games put more emphasis on the actions of the shit parents. ROFL

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Damn I'm actually ashamed I never thought of this one and just realized it should've been the most obvious one to me for how many games I've played of Tekken.

The entire Mishima family is just front to back bad parenting of varying degrees of "how do I want to abuse/potentially kill my child today". Tekken 7 tries to make Heihachi seem "justified" for what he did to Kazuya but we all know he's still actually a bastard. Kazuya is... actually hard to judge as a parent because he isn't even alive when Jin is born and doesn't make his return until Jin has reached 21 so there's no way to know how he would have raised Jin. He doesn't seem to have any care for Jin but I wonder if any parent would have a connection to their child when they don't know they even have one and only find out once that child has become an adult?
Jin did at least have Jun though, who was a decent mother to him until she died/disappeared. So at least the Mishima family tree has one known decent parent in it. LOL

Nina has a child too but I can't really blame her for hating Steve. The poor guy was born as a result of Heihachi using eggs taken from Nina while she was cryogenically frozen against her will, so not only did she not want a child but it was done from using her in experiments she never consented to. While it isn't Steve's fault of course he does represent a period of her life that she reviles and it's no surprise she wants nothing to do with him or anything related to that time.

Marshall Law seems to be one of the few decent parents in Tekken at least. He takes care of his son Forest, even if he might be a little overprotective, and when his son gets into a bad motorcycle accident he enters the Fifth King of Iron Fist Tournament to try and pay off the medical expenses.

Michelle Chang adopts a daughter but we don't really hear anything more about it, but I think it's safe to assume she's a decent parent.

I don't think there's any other characters in Tekken that are a parent. Writing it out I actually didn't expect an even balance between decent and shit parents but that's mostly because the games put more emphasis on the actions of the shit parents. ROFL
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Pokemon Violet [Switch] ACNH [Steam] BK:EW&tLO
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 10,142
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
Actually, in Pokémon Ruby your mom is a homemaker, and your dad is a gym leader. A normal gym leader in fact. In the og game he is a pain to defeat. In Omega he was made easier idk why. With the newer pokemon games it's usually just your mom.

In Animal Crossing New Horizons, you get letters from your mom who mentions your dad from time to time. But he never writes.

You only get to see Mario and Luigi's parents due to seeing them in the movie Nintendo released. Otherwise, they don't exist in the games.

In the Suikoiden franchise, your father in the first game is the General of the army you have to fight against. In Suikoden 5 your mother is the Queen of the Kingdom who marries the General of her kingdom after winning her hand in battle against others who fight for her hand in marriage. I don't remember if there are other parents in the Suikoden series atmo but if I do, I'll try to come back and edit this. But I think you just have two games with your parents in them.

I can't remember any other parents in games atmo. Most games just have none: usually.
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: ffix-p10.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 10,142 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
Actually, in Pokémon Ruby your mom is a homemaker, and your dad is a gym leader. A normal gym leader in fact. In the og game he is a pain to defeat. In Omega he was made easier idk why. With the newer pokemon games it's usually just your mom.

In Animal Crossing New Horizons, you get letters from your mom who mentions your dad from time to time. But he never writes.

You only get to see Mario and Luigi's parents due to seeing them in the movie Nintendo released. Otherwise, they don't exist in the games.

In the Suikoiden franchise, your father in the first game is the General of the army you have to fight against. In Suikoden 5 your mother is the Queen of the Kingdom who marries the General of her kingdom after winning her hand in battle against others who fight for her hand in marriage. I don't remember if there are other parents in the Suikoden series atmo but if I do, I'll try to come back and edit this. But I think you just have two games with your parents in them.

I can't remember any other parents in games atmo. Most games just have none: usually.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Aug 2nd, 2024, 07:52 PM)queenzelda Wrote:
Oh wow there is actually a game where the dad exists?! What gym leader is it so I can look them up and find out more about it? Gasp

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Oh wow there is actually a game where the dad exists?! What gym leader is it so I can look them up and find out more about it? Gasp
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 10,142
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
(Aug 2nd, 2024, 09:12 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Oh yea, there's more than just May's dad (Norman) your rival's dad is Prof Birch. So, there are technically two dads in Pokémon Ruby.  Norman the Normal type Gym Leader and Professor Birch. Depending on if you choose to play as either a girl or boy. 

Bulbapedia for Norman:  Norman - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia (bulbagarden.net)
Bulbapedia for Prof Birch:  Professor Birch - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia (bulbagarden.net)
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: ffix-p10.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 10,142 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 

Oh yea, there's more than just May's dad (Norman) your rival's dad is Prof Birch. So, there are technically two dads in Pokémon Ruby.  Norman the Normal type Gym Leader and Professor Birch. Depending on if you choose to play as either a girl or boy. 

Bulbapedia for Norman:  Norman - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia (bulbagarden.net)
Bulbapedia for Prof Birch:  Professor Birch - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia (bulbagarden.net)
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,778
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Yeah fighting games do like their bad parents, and well good parents too.

For technically a bad parent but I still like him though he is a complete piece of--is Relius CLover from BlazBlue. Usually I don't particularly like PoS characters but sometimes it depends on their whole personality, the world they come from, what they've done, all sorts. To put into perspective of what he's done...as a parent; he's turned both his wife and daughter into dolls/puppets and the wife doll Ignis fights for him, and he will happily fight his son Carl who uses his sister Ada. Of course Carl did NOT like what happened and hates Relius for it and normally that should be enough for many people to dislike him (audience that is). It's the opposite though for me as I care very little for Carl. Relius doesn't break easily and if he did I wouldn't like him, it was just always interesting to see what he's up to. Kinda like Aizen from Bleach really, plus Relius works with Hazama/Terumi who in turn is similar to Gin (Hazama more so) from Bleach but far worse and is a proper villain, plus Terumi is EVEN worse than Relius but all three I just really enjoy in BlazBlue. ROFL

Same with Tekken though, Heihachi and Kazuya I still like despite them always fighting each other and their grandson/son Jin but there's the flipside of Jun and the others to level out the good and bad. Jinpachi was a good grandfather to Kazuya but everything went to poop and well, Tekken 5 Kazuya ending, although not canon, could've happened with Kazuya finishing off Jinpachi to take his devil powers.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,778 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Yeah fighting games do like their bad parents, and well good parents too.

For technically a bad parent but I still like him though he is a complete piece of--is Relius CLover from BlazBlue. Usually I don't particularly like PoS characters but sometimes it depends on their whole personality, the world they come from, what they've done, all sorts. To put into perspective of what he's done...as a parent; he's turned both his wife and daughter into dolls/puppets and the wife doll Ignis fights for him, and he will happily fight his son Carl who uses his sister Ada. Of course Carl did NOT like what happened and hates Relius for it and normally that should be enough for many people to dislike him (audience that is). It's the opposite though for me as I care very little for Carl. Relius doesn't break easily and if he did I wouldn't like him, it was just always interesting to see what he's up to. Kinda like Aizen from Bleach really, plus Relius works with Hazama/Terumi who in turn is similar to Gin (Hazama more so) from Bleach but far worse and is a proper villain, plus Terumi is EVEN worse than Relius but all three I just really enjoy in BlazBlue. ROFL

Same with Tekken though, Heihachi and Kazuya I still like despite them always fighting each other and their grandson/son Jin but there's the flipside of Jun and the others to level out the good and bad. Jinpachi was a good grandfather to Kazuya but everything went to poop and well, Tekken 5 Kazuya ending, although not canon, could've happened with Kazuya finishing off Jinpachi to take his devil powers.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Aug 3rd, 2024, 04:02 PM)queenzelda Wrote:

Thanks for the links! I'd have never found the first guy by myself probably and I didn't know Birch plays the role of a father too. I do find it a little funny that Birch and Norman don't really resemble each other yet will technically have the same child the other could have had. LOL

I see that Norman is also the only father of a playable character in the games. I wonder why Nintendo never did it again even if the father doesn't play a role any bigger than the mother does.

@Mr EliteL: Yeah weirdly I don't dislike any of the characters in Tekken that are shit parents, yet I know I hated the father in Food Wars for being an abusive prick so I'm trying to think what it is about the Tekken characters that makes me not really care? Maybe it's because there isn't any cases of a parent and child interacting constantly in the series where they're not both villainous, and/or because the earlier games didn't really emphasize story much to know just how bad some people in the series actually are? Unsure Hmm

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Aug 3rd, 2024, 04:02 PM)queenzelda Wrote:

Thanks for the links! I'd have never found the first guy by myself probably and I didn't know Birch plays the role of a father too. I do find it a little funny that Birch and Norman don't really resemble each other yet will technically have the same child the other could have had. LOL

I see that Norman is also the only father of a playable character in the games. I wonder why Nintendo never did it again even if the father doesn't play a role any bigger than the mother does.

@Mr EliteL: Yeah weirdly I don't dislike any of the characters in Tekken that are shit parents, yet I know I hated the father in Food Wars for being an abusive prick so I'm trying to think what it is about the Tekken characters that makes me not really care? Maybe it's because there isn't any cases of a parent and child interacting constantly in the series where they're not both villainous, and/or because the earlier games didn't really emphasize story much to know just how bad some people in the series actually are? Unsure Hmm

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fan Made Games Moonface 22 5,638 Aug 26th, 2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  How Often Do You Wait for Games to Go on Sale? Moonface 5 251 Aug 25th, 2024, 11:00 PM
Last Post: Kyng
  Anticipated Games Moonface 50 20,242 Jul 28th, 2024, 06:13 PM
  Games That Never Came West? Moonface 6 461 Jul 28th, 2024, 05:23 PM
  SAG-AFTRA Approves Video Game Strike Authorization Moonface 7 1,233 Jul 26th, 2024, 04:10 PM