Current/Last Thing You Listened To?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Moonlighter (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 29,136
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I didn't listen but did look at the lyrics to compare, and they're so different outside of the chorus I'm surprised they aren't just viewed as separate songs rather than the Steve Miller Band version being classified as a cover. To me this is like the difference between a game remake and a game remaster; the former might take a lot of what was in the original but changes it enough to be viewed as a separate version, whereas a remaster is generally just the same thing but with a different coat of paint.

Feel like posting everything I listened to today again rather than just the last song I played:
  • This Must Be It - Royksopp
  • Tonight - Kings of Leon
  • I Let Go - Eighteen Visions
  • Zombie - The Cranberries
  • Wait for Me - Kings of Leon
  • Drown - Bring Me The Horizon
  • Going Under - Evanescence
  • Anthem of the Angels - Breaking Benjamin
  • B.Y.O.B. - System of a Down
  • New Family - Plaid
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 29,136 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I didn't listen but did look at the lyrics to compare, and they're so different outside of the chorus I'm surprised they aren't just viewed as separate songs rather than the Steve Miller Band version being classified as a cover. To me this is like the difference between a game remake and a game remaster; the former might take a lot of what was in the original but changes it enough to be viewed as a separate version, whereas a remaster is generally just the same thing but with a different coat of paint.

Feel like posting everything I listened to today again rather than just the last song I played:
  • This Must Be It - Royksopp
  • Tonight - Kings of Leon
  • Zombie - The Cranberries
  • Wait for Me - Kings of Leon
  • Drown - Bring Me The Horizon
  • Going Under - Evanescence
  • Anthem of the Angels - Breaking Benjamin
  • B.Y.O.B. - System of a Down
  • New Family - Plaid
Maniakkid25 Offline
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 14,406
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
You'd be surprised how much you can change the lyrics and it's still considered a cover. This is how Weird Al Yankovich's career was built, after all: parody covers of hit tracks. Another cover that drastically changes the lyrics of the song is I Fought the Law by the Dead Kennedys. Dead Kennedys' version is so different, they actually completely change the meaning of the song. Granted, they meant for that. It was written shortly after Dan White was given a reduced sentence for killing George Moscone and Harvey Milk, in part thanks to the famed "Twinkie Defense" (which was meant to show he wasn't thinking straight; he was pleading diminished capacity due to mental illness. It's a whole thing). So, Jello, provocatuer that he is, reworked it so that it was from Dan White's perspective after getting out. Though, Jello's predictions never came to be; White would kill himself 2 years after release.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 14,406 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
You'd be surprised how much you can change the lyrics and it's still considered a cover. This is how Weird Al Yankovich's career was built, after all: parody covers of hit tracks. Another cover that drastically changes the lyrics of the song is I Fought the Law by the Dead Kennedys. Dead Kennedys' version is so different, they actually completely change the meaning of the song. Granted, they meant for that. It was written shortly after Dan White was given a reduced sentence for killing George Moscone and Harvey Milk, in part thanks to the famed "Twinkie Defense" (which was meant to show he wasn't thinking straight; he was pleading diminished capacity due to mental illness. It's a whole thing). So, Jello, provocatuer that he is, reworked it so that it was from Dan White's perspective after getting out. Though, Jello's predictions never came to be; White would kill himself 2 years after release.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Good point with the Weird Al parodies. Although if a distinction were to be made between covers and separate songs I'd classify his stuff as "parody of x song" rather than a cover or independent version of a song while a cover would be different artists performing the exact same song (give or take a word for cases where a song needs to be slightly edited if a man or woman is singing it). Then again, I guess a cover is an artists interpretation of an existing song, and it does make sense for that to cover the lyrical content as well as the vocals and instruments otherwise it would get messy with things like "Well is a metal version of a pop song a cover or is it separate because the instruments are totally different?" and such. Interesting to think about and start to see why the blanket term of cover ultimately does work out better after I initially questioned it. Hmm

Magma (Album) - Gojira

Decided to listen to this album after seeing them perform during the Paris Olympics opening ceremony because I liked their sound and this album is apparently the one they were playing songs from. I didn't finish it yet but what I listened to so far was nowhere near as heavy as I was expecting it to be, so far it's actually not something I'd call heavy metal at all. Not that it's bad at all, I just went into it expecting something a lot different based on their Olympic performance and what people were saying about their sound commenting about said performance.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Good point with the Weird Al parodies. Although if a distinction were to be made between covers and separate songs I'd classify his stuff as "parody of x song" rather than a cover or independent version of a song while a cover would be different artists performing the exact same song (give or take a word for cases where a song needs to be slightly edited if a man or woman is singing it). Then again, I guess a cover is an artists interpretation of an existing song, and it does make sense for that to cover the lyrical content as well as the vocals and instruments otherwise it would get messy with things like "Well is a metal version of a pop song a cover or is it separate because the instruments are totally different?" and such. Interesting to think about and start to see why the blanket term of cover ultimately does work out better after I initially questioned it. Hmm

Magma (Album) - Gojira

Decided to listen to this album after seeing them perform during the Paris Olympics opening ceremony because I liked their sound and this album is apparently the one they were playing songs from. I didn't finish it yet but what I listened to so far was nowhere near as heavy as I was expecting it to be, so far it's actually not something I'd call heavy metal at all. Not that it's bad at all, I just went into it expecting something a lot different based on their Olympic performance and what people were saying about their sound commenting about said performance.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Teen Age Riot -- Sonic Youth

This song is a brilliant classic track, but god it's obnoxious. Not because of its lyrics, but because of the guitar. The main guitar line is not tuned in standard (EADGBe), but in G major pentatonic IN ORDER (GABDEg). It's such a cursed tuning, and I love it. Oh, and the rhythm guitar? GGDDgg, because why not, at this point? That's kinda Sonic Youth's thing: weird as crap tunings that make your eyes cross when you see them. It's brilliant, and obnoxious, and trying to find a tab for this song SUCKS!
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any

This song is a brilliant classic track, but god it's obnoxious. Not because of its lyrics, but because of the guitar. The main guitar line is not tuned in standard (EADGBe), but in G major pentatonic IN ORDER (GABDEg). It's such a cursed tuning, and I love it. Oh, and the rhythm guitar? GGDDgg, because why not, at this point? That's kinda Sonic Youth's thing: weird as crap tunings that make your eyes cross when you see them. It's brilliant, and obnoxious, and trying to find a tab for this song SUCKS!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Didn't feel like finishing that Gojira album so decided to just play my Burnout Trax playlist instead and got these songs played from having it on shuffle: 
  • My Favorite Accident - Motion City Soundtrack
  • Dance, Dance - Fall Out Boy 
  • Give It Up - Midtown
  • Going Through Changes - Army Of Me
  • Breathing - Yellowcard
  • Saccharine Smile - Donots
  • I'm Not Sorry - The Pigeon Detectives
  • 4/16 - Silent Drive
  • My Favorite Accident - Motion City Soundtrack (yes, it decided to play this twice because Spotify shuffle sucks)
  • Ink - Finch

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Didn't feel like finishing that Gojira album so decided to just play my Burnout Trax playlist instead and got these songs played from having it on shuffle: 
  • My Favorite Accident - Motion City Soundtrack
  • Dance, Dance - Fall Out Boy 
  • Give It Up - Midtown
  • Going Through Changes - Army Of Me
  • Breathing - Yellowcard
  • Saccharine Smile - Donots
  • I'm Not Sorry - The Pigeon Detectives
  • 4/16 - Silent Drive
  • My Favorite Accident - Motion City Soundtrack (yes, it decided to play this twice because Spotify shuffle sucks)
  • Ink - Finch
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
If This is Goodbye -- Chicago

A song that has been stuck in my head in light of the recent Xbox 360 store closure, the song is about what you'd expect from the title: an ode to having one last hurrah. What I like about this song is that, even though there's no interview saying it, I see this song as the band saying "We probably aren't making any new music after this". See, Chicago is a band that started in 1967, though the name wouldn't coalesce until a few years later. Even so, three of the band's founding members are still members of the band, so they've been at this a long time, and I think that this song is their way of saying "Thank you all for everything; our journey ends here." It's...a rather poignant listen, in that context.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any

A song that has been stuck in my head in light of the recent Xbox 360 store closure, the song is about what you'd expect from the title: an ode to having one last hurrah. What I like about this song is that, even though there's no interview saying it, I see this song as the band saying "We probably aren't making any new music after this". See, Chicago is a band that started in 1967, though the name wouldn't coalesce until a few years later. Even so, three of the band's founding members are still members of the band, so they've been at this a long time, and I think that this song is their way of saying "Thank you all for everything; our journey ends here." It's...a rather poignant listen, in that context.
ShiraNoMai Offline
🖤🤍💜 / 🩷💛💙
Moderators
Currently Playing
Minecraft: Drehmal (PC) | Golden Yoshi's Island (SNES) | Pokémon Violet (Switch)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 27,226
Yoshi (Shiny) Yoshi Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
(Jul 29th, 2024, 10:56 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:

I forgot this song existed! I always think of "Kool Thing" when I think of Sonic Youth. 

This was... a mix
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
🖤🤍💜 / 🩷💛💙
Currently Playing
Minecraft: Drehmal (PC) | Golden Yoshi's Island (SNES) | Pokémon Violet (Switch)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 27,226 Yoshi (Shiny) Yoshi Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
(Jul 29th, 2024, 10:56 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:

I forgot this song existed! I always think of "Kool Thing" when I think of Sonic Youth. 

This was... a mix
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Wuthering Waves | Zenless Zone Zero | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Aether Gazer | Azur Lane | Dark Souls III | Elden Ring
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Pronouns
Cute/Funny
XP: 11,124
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
2023 Platinum Goal: 4/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Elden Ring (PS5)
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Wuthering Waves | Zenless Zone Zero | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Aether Gazer | Azur Lane | Dark Souls III | Elden Ring
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Pronouns
Cute/Funny
XP: 11,124 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jul 31st, 2024, 08:10 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:

I looked the song up out of curiosity to know more about it and I was expecting the song to be older than 2022, but I was more surprised at seeing this song is from their 38th album?! Gasp I feel like that has to put Chicago in the rankings for bands with the most album releases?

Build A Bridge - Limp Bizkit

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jul 31st, 2024, 08:10 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:

I looked the song up out of curiosity to know more about it and I was expecting the song to be older than 2022, but I was more surprised at seeing this song is from their 38th album?! Gasp I feel like that has to put Chicago in the rankings for bands with the most album releases?

Build A Bridge - Limp Bizkit
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
(Aug 4th, 2024, 12:14 AM)Moonface Wrote:

Looking into it, it does, but not remotely near the top. Depending on how you define the question, you'll get different answers, but for studio albums, it appears Merzbow is firmly at the topic with over 270. But, he's a Noise artist; maybe you only want to include actual, you know, music (ignoring how we are defining music)? That probably brings you to Buckethead, with over 160. But that includes the Pike Series, which are half-size albums, so maybe you only want to count full Long Plays (LPs -- yes, that's what the term means). Then your next candidate is Johnny Cash with 55 studio albums. I could go further, but you get the point.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
(Aug 4th, 2024, 12:14 AM)Moonface Wrote:

Looking into it, it does, but not remotely near the top. Depending on how you define the question, you'll get different answers, but for studio albums, it appears Merzbow is firmly at the topic with over 270. But, he's a Noise artist; maybe you only want to include actual, you know, music (ignoring how we are defining music)? That probably brings you to Buckethead, with over 160. But that includes the Pike Series, which are half-size albums, so maybe you only want to count full Long Plays (LPs -- yes, that's what the term means). Then your next candidate is Johnny Cash with 55 studio albums. I could go further, but you get the point.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
^^^ = Confused

Soda - Nothing But Thieves

Also, this wasn't today but I forgot to post it at the time. When I went to work on Tuesday, I had a good pairing of songs play back to back:

You Look Like You Could Use A Fucking Lamp - Obscurest Vinyl 
What A Catch, Donnie - Fall Out Boy

What makes these a good pair is the lyrics at the end of the first song flowed fittingly into the second one:

Lamp Song Wrote:
I got so ripshit mad, I broke the thing in half
Put it over my dick, like a fucking lunatic
Then I started to thrust, the fucking grill on the bus
It took off full speed, and punctured my kidney
I, I've had enough of this shit
FOB Song Wrote:
I've got troubled thoughts...

ROFL

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
^^^ = Confused

Soda - Nothing But Thieves

Also, this wasn't today but I forgot to post it at the time. When I went to work on Tuesday, I had a good pairing of songs play back to back:

You Look Like You Could Use A Fucking Lamp - Obscurest Vinyl 
What A Catch, Donnie - Fall Out Boy

What makes these a good pair is the lyrics at the end of the first song flowed fittingly into the second one:

Lamp Song Wrote:
I got so ripshit mad, I broke the thing in half
Put it over my dick, like a fucking lunatic
Then I started to thrust, the fucking grill on the bus
It took off full speed, and punctured my kidney
I, I've had enough of this shit
FOB Song Wrote:
I've got troubled thoughts...

ROFL
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 9,193
Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
(Jul 14th, 2024, 12:25 AM)Moonface Wrote:
(Jun 29th, 2024, 03:13 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
These souls-y and R&B based AI generations aren't half bad honestly. If AI gets used in this way for shitposting, that's fine LOL
Yeah, and even though the AI does a very good job with those songs I doubt it could result in it being used in a widespread fashion commercially because most musicians make money from touring and an AI can't do that.

(Jul 7th, 2024, 10:36 PM)Kyng Wrote:
A cover by some Russian singer:

Couldn't understand a word of it, but I did enjoy it!
Interesting to see they actually translated the song; I went into this expecting it to just be a Russian person covering the song as it originally was and knowing that BMTH can sometimes get screamy figured the lack of understanding the lyrics would be from that and not just the language being totally different. LOL
Do you listen to BMTH usually or was this just a one off random listen?

It was just a one-off listen - although, maybe I'll have to check out some of her other stuff!

Anyway, the last thing I listened to was "Two Tribes" by Frankie Goes to Hollywood... so, something a bit more 'normal' Tongue .
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 9,193 Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
(Jul 14th, 2024, 12:25 AM)Moonface Wrote:
(Jun 29th, 2024, 03:13 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
These souls-y and R&B based AI generations aren't half bad honestly. If AI gets used in this way for shitposting, that's fine LOL
Yeah, and even though the AI does a very good job with those songs I doubt it could result in it being used in a widespread fashion commercially because most musicians make money from touring and an AI can't do that.

(Jul 7th, 2024, 10:36 PM)Kyng Wrote:
A cover by some Russian singer:

Couldn't understand a word of it, but I did enjoy it!
Interesting to see they actually translated the song; I went into this expecting it to just be a Russian person covering the song as it originally was and knowing that BMTH can sometimes get screamy figured the lack of understanding the lyrics would be from that and not just the language being totally different. LOL
Do you listen to BMTH usually or was this just a one off random listen?

It was just a one-off listen - although, maybe I'll have to check out some of her other stuff!

Anyway, the last thing I listened to was "Two Tribes" by Frankie Goes to Hollywood... so, something a bit more 'normal' Tongue .
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact | Wuthering Waves | Unicorn Overlord
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,921
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
E.G.G.M.A.N - Sonic Adventure 2

And LittleVMill's cover of the same song.

Just randomly got into a Sonic music mood recently for no reason at all, and this keeps getting stuck in my head. XD
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact | Wuthering Waves | Unicorn Overlord
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,921 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 

Just randomly got into a Sonic music mood recently for no reason at all, and this keeps getting stuck in my head. XD
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Aug 12th, 2024, 10:50 AM)Mr EliteL Wrote:

Not the exact same but about a week ago I got randomly obsessed with the music from Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed again and spent a whole night focused on songs from that game to the point I started getting the urge to play it. LOL

Wherever I May Roam - Metallica

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Aug 12th, 2024, 10:50 AM)Mr EliteL Wrote:

Not the exact same but about a week ago I got randomly obsessed with the music from Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed again and spent a whole night focused on songs from that game to the point I started getting the urge to play it. LOL

Wherever I May Roam - Metallica
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
"You're listening to 98.7, The Gator!"
"Follow 98.7 The Gator on Twitter, X, Y, Z, or whatever the heck people wanna call it these days."
"Green Day gave us absolutely no dates here for their current tour, can you believe it? That's okay though, they'll be back soon enough to take your money. Until then, keep listening to 98.7, The Gator."

So without a phone I've been listening to the radio in my car, and it defaulted onto 98.7 FM which if you haven't guessed already is The Gator. It plays classic rock, which translates to "If you were born in the 90s you're gonna feel fucking old listening to this station" because everything on it is the stuff we listened to like Linkin Park, Foo Fighters, etc. ROFL
There is a certain vibe that a radio station has that Spotify just doesn't have though. I dunno how to describe it really but it's just a different mood and I like it. ^_^

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
"You're listening to 98.7, The Gator!"
"Follow 98.7 The Gator on Twitter, X, Y, Z, or whatever the heck people wanna call it these days."
"Green Day gave us absolutely no dates here for their current tour, can you believe it? That's okay though, they'll be back soon enough to take your money. Until then, keep listening to 98.7, The Gator."

So without a phone I've been listening to the radio in my car, and it defaulted onto 98.7 FM which if you haven't guessed already is The Gator. It plays classic rock, which translates to "If you were born in the 90s you're gonna feel fucking old listening to this station" because everything on it is the stuff we listened to like Linkin Park, Foo Fighters, etc. ROFL
There is a certain vibe that a radio station has that Spotify just doesn't have though. I dunno how to describe it really but it's just a different mood and I like it. ^_^

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current/Last Thing You Watched? Nightingale 530 192,303 4 hours ago
Last Post: Maniakkid25
  Your Current Device Wallpaper/Lock Screen? Moonface 20 8,540 Apr 4th, 2024, 03:59 PM
Last Post: queenzelda
  You Change the Colour of One Thing. What Happens? Moonface 4 4,379 Jun 15th, 2020, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Moonface