Difference Between a Mod/Fan-Game/Hack?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Moonlighter (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 28,687
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I was making a different thread originally but a question to Shira about it turned into a big debate that has now led to the thread being this. Tongue

So to you, what is the difference between a fan game, a ROM hack, and a game mod? I initially thought there was a clear distinction between the three but the more examples I started becoming aware of the more I kept discovering overlap, so now I don't have a clue really where the line is drawn on each of those three terms.

At best I can decide a game mod is definitely something that is modifying the vanilla game experience like changing character skins, textures, frame rate, etc. but then there's something like Super Mario Sunshine Eclipse which is the vanilla game but adds in a ton of new areas, so is that a mod or is that a ROM hack? Is Fallout London a fan game or no because it requires Fallout 4 to actually run it, despite everything about it being entirely brand new?

See where I'm starting to find this difficult now? LOL
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Moonlighter (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 28,687 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I was making a different thread originally but a question to Shira about it turned into a big debate that has now led to the thread being this. Tongue

So to you, what is the difference between a fan game, a ROM hack, and a game mod? I initially thought there was a clear distinction between the three but the more examples I started becoming aware of the more I kept discovering overlap, so now I don't have a clue really where the line is drawn on each of those three terms.

At best I can decide a game mod is definitely something that is modifying the vanilla game experience like changing character skins, textures, frame rate, etc. but then there's something like Super Mario Sunshine Eclipse which is the vanilla game but adds in a ton of new areas, so is that a mod or is that a ROM hack? Is Fallout London a fan game or no because it requires Fallout 4 to actually run it, despite everything about it being entirely brand new?

See where I'm starting to find this difficult now? LOL
ShiraNoMai Offline
🖤🤍💜 / 🩷💛💙
Moderators
Currently Playing
Minecraft: Drehmal (PC) | Golden Yoshi's Island (SNES) | Pokémon Violet (Switch)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 27,163
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Fan Game: Completely unique engine based on an existing IP

ROM Hack/Patch: Making new content using an existing game's engine and assets as a base. Generally entails console games, usually ROM-based ones (pre-executable launch files).

Mods: Making new content for an existing game's engine and assets as a base. Generally entails PC games with executable launch files.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
🖤🤍💜 / 🩷💛💙
Currently Playing
Minecraft: Drehmal (PC) | Golden Yoshi's Island (SNES) | Pokémon Violet (Switch)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 27,163 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Fan Game: Completely unique engine based on an existing IP

ROM Hack/Patch: Making new content using an existing game's engine and assets as a base. Generally entails console games, usually ROM-based ones (pre-executable launch files).

Mods: Making new content for an existing game's engine and assets as a base. Generally entails PC games with executable launch files.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 14,290
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
I can push on this a little bit, because there are games that blur the line between Fan Game and ROM hack. The one that immediately comes to mind is Final Fantasy VII on the NES. No, not that one. This one. This is a hack of the Chinese NES FF7 that uses custom made sprites, maps, and all sorts of stuff to tell a version of the story that is much more accurate to the original. Is it a Fan Game? A ROM Hack? Both?! ...Yeah, it's probably both, but that's kind of my point.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 14,290 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
I can push on this a little bit, because there are games that blur the line between Fan Game and ROM hack. The one that immediately comes to mind is Final Fantasy VII on the NES. No, not that one. This one. This is a hack of the Chinese NES FF7 that uses custom made sprites, maps, and all sorts of stuff to tell a version of the story that is much more accurate to the original. Is it a Fan Game? A ROM Hack? Both?! ...Yeah, it's probably both, but that's kind of my point.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fan Made Games Moonface 23 5,774 Sep 10th, 2024, 06:11 AM
Last Post: Arcyriea
  Do You View Smash Bros. as a Party Game or a Fighting Game? Moonface 5 1,272 Aug 2nd, 2023, 03:38 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  Game creator Content ID'd on his own game Maniakkid25 4 5,345 Dec 7th, 2019, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Moonface