How Often Do You Replace/Upgrade Things?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,637
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Phones. Shoes. Clothes. Technology. Furniture. Pillows. Those and plenty of other things are items that we eventually end up having to replace or wanting to upgrade, and how often that happens varies by person and by item.

I know plenty of people will happily go out and buy the newest phone model the instant it hits the market, while I will happily force my phone to keep going until it begins to have noticeable problems. I didn't get a smartphone until somewhere in the mid-2010's, and that wasn't even my choice. I was happy to keep using my old Sony Ericsson W610i; it made calls and texts, and not having had the access to internet on demand I didn't see what need I would have for it on a smartphone as I had been fine without it so far. @ShiraNoMai dragged me kicking and screaming into the modern age for phones when she sent me a Samsung Galaxy....5? But I didn't replace that phone until a few years ago with a Pixel, but again that was her buying me that new phone as a gift. I expect I won't replace that phone until it gets to a point it struggles to handle things as well as it did, or yet another new phone is given to me as a gift.

The same applies to me with shoes. I will happily use a pair of shoes until they're practically starting to fall apart before I will get new ones, because I see no need to replace something if what I have is still functioning well enough for my needs. I might possibly buy another pair just to have choice, but I won't retire the ones I have just for being old, they have to be in a state where I shouldn't keep using them.

I think the only thing I will upgrade quickly is technology where what I already have can't do something the newer technology can, which for me is generally always related to game consoles. If I don't buy that new PlayStation I'm not going to be able to play the new games. If I was a heavier PC gamer it would probably be the same with upgrading my hardware, as I would eventually reach a point where new games don't run very well. But I play few games on PC and so I don't feel a huge need to replace my laptop because it runs what I want acceptably. Could it be better? Sure. But I will try to hold out as long as I can because why buy a new thing sooner when I could hold out for the next new thing instead and avoid being outdated sooner, and avoid upgrading more frequently and thus spending more money?

What about you folks? How often do you replace or upgrade things you own? Do you base it on need, or just want, or does it vary by item?
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,637 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Phones. Shoes. Clothes. Technology. Furniture. Pillows. Those and plenty of other things are items that we eventually end up having to replace or wanting to upgrade, and how often that happens varies by person and by item.

I know plenty of people will happily go out and buy the newest phone model the instant it hits the market, while I will happily force my phone to keep going until it begins to have noticeable problems. I didn't get a smartphone until somewhere in the mid-2010's, and that wasn't even my choice. I was happy to keep using my old Sony Ericsson W610i; it made calls and texts, and not having had the access to internet on demand I didn't see what need I would have for it on a smartphone as I had been fine without it so far. @ShiraNoMai dragged me kicking and screaming into the modern age for phones when she sent me a Samsung Galaxy....5? But I didn't replace that phone until a few years ago with a Pixel, but again that was her buying me that new phone as a gift. I expect I won't replace that phone until it gets to a point it struggles to handle things as well as it did, or yet another new phone is given to me as a gift.

The same applies to me with shoes. I will happily use a pair of shoes until they're practically starting to fall apart before I will get new ones, because I see no need to replace something if what I have is still functioning well enough for my needs. I might possibly buy another pair just to have choice, but I won't retire the ones I have just for being old, they have to be in a state where I shouldn't keep using them.

I think the only thing I will upgrade quickly is technology where what I already have can't do something the newer technology can, which for me is generally always related to game consoles. If I don't buy that new PlayStation I'm not going to be able to play the new games. If I was a heavier PC gamer it would probably be the same with upgrading my hardware, as I would eventually reach a point where new games don't run very well. But I play few games on PC and so I don't feel a huge need to replace my laptop because it runs what I want acceptably. Could it be better? Sure. But I will try to hold out as long as I can because why buy a new thing sooner when I could hold out for the next new thing instead and avoid being outdated sooner, and avoid upgrading more frequently and thus spending more money?

What about you folks? How often do you replace or upgrade things you own? Do you base it on need, or just want, or does it vary by item?
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371
Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
My parents have tend to instilled a if It ain't broke don't replace it kinda mentality, but I'd say it depends on the item. My phone tend to not get replaced until it battery is dying I could replace the battery, but I kinda take it as a sign that it time for a new phone. My shoes tend to stay with me until they get all worn out. I generally tend to keep my PC until one of two things happen 1. The PC start struggling to play games. 2. The PC starts failing. if one of these two things happened I'd probably think about replacing my computer, but the idea of a shiny new PC is quite alluring to me, but I tend to talk myself out of it by letting myself know it not time yet. I did sadly give into the shiny allure of a PS5....and well it just kinda sit here it really make a nice stylish decoration for my room. XD
[Image: 30-humptypunch3.gif]
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371 Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
My parents have tend to instilled a if It ain't broke don't replace it kinda mentality, but I'd say it depends on the item. My phone tend to not get replaced until it battery is dying I could replace the battery, but I kinda take it as a sign that it time for a new phone. My shoes tend to stay with me until they get all worn out. I generally tend to keep my PC until one of two things happen 1. The PC start struggling to play games. 2. The PC starts failing. if one of these two things happened I'd probably think about replacing my computer, but the idea of a shiny new PC is quite alluring to me, but I tend to talk myself out of it by letting myself know it not time yet. I did sadly give into the shiny allure of a PS5....and well it just kinda sit here it really make a nice stylish decoration for my room. XD
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Karo: Yeah, that's how my parents tend to be too. Although for them it was a little too extreme at one point, such as when they didn't see a need to upgrade the internet from dial-up to broadband, which I think they didn't do until like 2007 or 2008. I don't know about your parents but mine, or at least my dad, came from a background where you didn't have the disposable income to just replace things for the hell of it and barely enough to even get new things, so everything would be taken care of really well. Most things of theirs that end up needing replacing are due to the existing one just being worn down by time rather than poor caretaking. I appreciated how they kept that frame of mind even when they did reach a point of having disposable income to just replace something on a whim, but opted not to and continued to just take care of things because it taught me to take good care of my stuff as a kid and appreciate what I have rather than always wanting something new and shiny.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Karo: Yeah, that's how my parents tend to be too. Although for them it was a little too extreme at one point, such as when they didn't see a need to upgrade the internet from dial-up to broadband, which I think they didn't do until like 2007 or 2008. I don't know about your parents but mine, or at least my dad, came from a background where you didn't have the disposable income to just replace things for the hell of it and barely enough to even get new things, so everything would be taken care of really well. Most things of theirs that end up needing replacing are due to the existing one just being worn down by time rather than poor caretaking. I appreciated how they kept that frame of mind even when they did reach a point of having disposable income to just replace something on a whim, but opted not to and continued to just take care of things because it taught me to take good care of my stuff as a kid and appreciate what I have rather than always wanting something new and shiny.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,129
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Again depends on the item. Usually I replace things when they're close to being at the end of their life or displaying problems, or it's gotten very out dated. Took me a good 10 years to get a new laptop, and I still use my old one every now and again. Although, I can say my latest laptop I'll probably replace before 10 years have gone by this time.

When a phone gives up or is absolutely useless I'll get a new one, in the past it tended to be the phone just refusing to work in some way, not turning on even when been on charge, and just give up and buy a new one. My current phone I've mentioned I plan to get a new one but haven't bothered yet, old still works at least though and hasn't died yet. Had it for 5-6 years now.

Game consoles I don't necessarily replace as I keep my old consoles, but in the past it's tended to be when I got the urge to, not counting the time when I wasn't the one paying for the console of course. Got my DS Lite on a whim, bought my PS3 sometime after the Super Slim released and I just wanted my own when my bro and sister had their own versions. 3DS, I forgot exactly what made me buy one, a reason at least was my DS had a flicker in the touch screen, did tolerate for a while but as the 3DS had been out for a while, it was time to get one I guess. I did play a lot of DS on my 3DS as well thanks to the compatibility. PS4, I already had Uncharted 4, then the year after or something when a double discount at my workplace happened, I went and got a PS4. Same for PS4 Pro, I didn't even plan to get one and thought I was going to settle for the normal PS4 but I went ahead and got that one too, but that was due to 500gb not being enough. The only same kind of console I've bought twice. Nintendo Switch....that already had been out for a while too but I eventually got one for Octopath and Smash Ultimate. I haven't been "NEED THIS DAY 1" for any of them.

For clothes, we already have that in the Apparel topic about how long we keep clothing for, but will mention it here too. I'm happy with wearing the same thing over and over, obviously getting washed as I have quite a lot of clothing. There's some I don't even wear as I prefer to preserve and keep them but do wear those particular ones when I feel like. If the clothes I often wear tear a hole I will go out and change, if they look too worn then I'll consider get new, and wear the old inside. Footwear, they have to be ruined in some way like letting in water from a rainy day for me to replace.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,129 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Again depends on the item. Usually I replace things when they're close to being at the end of their life or displaying problems, or it's gotten very out dated. Took me a good 10 years to get a new laptop, and I still use my old one every now and again. Although, I can say my latest laptop I'll probably replace before 10 years have gone by this time.

When a phone gives up or is absolutely useless I'll get a new one, in the past it tended to be the phone just refusing to work in some way, not turning on even when been on charge, and just give up and buy a new one. My current phone I've mentioned I plan to get a new one but haven't bothered yet, old still works at least though and hasn't died yet. Had it for 5-6 years now.

Game consoles I don't necessarily replace as I keep my old consoles, but in the past it's tended to be when I got the urge to, not counting the time when I wasn't the one paying for the console of course. Got my DS Lite on a whim, bought my PS3 sometime after the Super Slim released and I just wanted my own when my bro and sister had their own versions. 3DS, I forgot exactly what made me buy one, a reason at least was my DS had a flicker in the touch screen, did tolerate for a while but as the 3DS had been out for a while, it was time to get one I guess. I did play a lot of DS on my 3DS as well thanks to the compatibility. PS4, I already had Uncharted 4, then the year after or something when a double discount at my workplace happened, I went and got a PS4. Same for PS4 Pro, I didn't even plan to get one and thought I was going to settle for the normal PS4 but I went ahead and got that one too, but that was due to 500gb not being enough. The only same kind of console I've bought twice. Nintendo Switch....that already had been out for a while too but I eventually got one for Octopath and Smash Ultimate. I haven't been "NEED THIS DAY 1" for any of them.

For clothes, we already have that in the Apparel topic about how long we keep clothing for, but will mention it here too. I'm happy with wearing the same thing over and over, obviously getting washed as I have quite a lot of clothing. There's some I don't even wear as I prefer to preserve and keep them but do wear those particular ones when I feel like. If the clothes I often wear tear a hole I will go out and change, if they look too worn then I'll consider get new, and wear the old inside. Footwear, they have to be ruined in some way like letting in water from a rainy day for me to replace.
zoldos Offline
Drake Narco
Currently Playing
The Finals
Favourite Platform(s)
PC
Pronouns
Me
XP: 192
I upgrade parts in PC basically when I have the cash. lol  My next upgrade will be a 2 TB SSD.  As for household items, not too often.  I love my pillows. Grin
-=<>=-
zoldos Offline
Drake Narco
Currently Playing
The Finals
Favourite Platform(s)
PC
Pronouns
Me
I upgrade parts in PC basically when I have the cash. lol  My next upgrade will be a 2 TB SSD.  As for household items, not too often.  I love my pillows. Grin
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 24th, 2022, 01:55 AM)zoldos Wrote:
As for household items, not too often.  I love my pillows. Grin
I rarely buy new pillows due to how much it costs for a good one. I know they're worth it but I just end up deciding to make do with what I have because the price turns me off. XD

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 24th, 2022, 01:55 AM)zoldos Wrote:
As for household items, not too often.  I love my pillows. Grin
I rarely buy new pillows due to how much it costs for a good one. I know they're worth it but I just end up deciding to make do with what I have because the price turns me off. XD
zoldos Offline
Drake Narco
Currently Playing
The Finals
Favourite Platform(s)
PC
Pronouns
Me
(Jan 25th, 2022, 01:16 AM)Moonface Wrote:

hehe Cool. I have this huge tye dye pillow, but it is missing stuffing in the center so I have a big, round plush pillow to make up for it. Grin
-=<>=-
zoldos Offline
Drake Narco
Currently Playing
The Finals
Favourite Platform(s)
PC
Pronouns
Me
(Jan 25th, 2022, 01:16 AM)Moonface Wrote:

hehe Cool. I have this huge tye dye pillow, but it is missing stuffing in the center so I have a big, round plush pillow to make up for it. Grin
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,243
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
A good pillow is hard to come by, too. One of those things where it needs to be broken in a little to be of use.

That said, it's investment in your sleep, which is part of your healthcare. Should never feel guilty for getting yourself the proper tools to sleep with. Smile
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,243 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
A good pillow is hard to come by, too. One of those things where it needs to be broken in a little to be of use.

That said, it's investment in your sleep, which is part of your healthcare. Should never feel guilty for getting yourself the proper tools to sleep with. Smile
zoldos Offline
Drake Narco
Currently Playing
The Finals
Favourite Platform(s)
PC
Pronouns
Me
(Jan 25th, 2022, 04:20 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

They can get expensive tho. The $5 ones aren't ever worth it.
-=<>=-
zoldos Offline
Drake Narco
Currently Playing
The Finals
Favourite Platform(s)
PC
Pronouns
Me
(Jan 25th, 2022, 04:20 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

They can get expensive tho. The $5 ones aren't ever worth it.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Something I never used to replace that I just thought of was my watch. I had one back in secondary school, and I still have it today. I only replaced/upgraded it when @ShiraNoMai got me a Fitbit, and I've upgraded that once since I got it which was this past Christmas. I wouldn't have probably needed to, but because it's got various modern features that gradually become outdated I can't treat it like a normal watch where so long as it tells the time that's all that matters. Kinda like how older phones were just about calls and texts until the extra bells and whistles of today got added into them.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Something I never used to replace that I just thought of was my watch. I had one back in secondary school, and I still have it today. I only replaced/upgraded it when @ShiraNoMai got me a Fitbit, and I've upgraded that once since I got it which was this past Christmas. I wouldn't have probably needed to, but because it's got various modern features that gradually become outdated I can't treat it like a normal watch where so long as it tells the time that's all that matters. Kinda like how older phones were just about calls and texts until the extra bells and whistles of today got added into them.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,129
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Did have a fitness watch but after it just failed and stopped certain features on it, literally all it could do was count steps and that wasn't 100% reliable at specific times like putting it in my pocket momentarily or holding it (OK I get it's better actually to have on your wrist obviously) and I just didn't care anymore to use it. Started not using it outside of work, eventually stopped at work too then all together. Admittedly it was sorta cheap but not the cheapest option, but I'd thought it should be able to keep all it's features working for longer than fricking 3 months so perhaps a year or two, but nah. Haven't bothered to upgrade and it's been way over a year since I used it last for walking about at work. Depending on my shift length it could go from 12,000-30,000 and seeing high 20's and 30's was great. XD

Might get a new fitness watch but no real plans yet. Barely use my standard wrist watch as I don't want to get it damaged at work and no use for it at home.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,129 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Did have a fitness watch but after it just failed and stopped certain features on it, literally all it could do was count steps and that wasn't 100% reliable at specific times like putting it in my pocket momentarily or holding it (OK I get it's better actually to have on your wrist obviously) and I just didn't care anymore to use it. Started not using it outside of work, eventually stopped at work too then all together. Admittedly it was sorta cheap but not the cheapest option, but I'd thought it should be able to keep all it's features working for longer than fricking 3 months so perhaps a year or two, but nah. Haven't bothered to upgrade and it's been way over a year since I used it last for walking about at work. Depending on my shift length it could go from 12,000-30,000 and seeing high 20's and 30's was great. XD

Might get a new fitness watch but no real plans yet. Barely use my standard wrist watch as I don't want to get it damaged at work and no use for it at home.
zoldos Offline
Drake Narco
Currently Playing
The Finals
Favourite Platform(s)
PC
Pronouns
Me
I replace computer stuff every couple years. The newest updates were a 2TB SSD and three new 80mm cooling fans.
-=<>=-
zoldos Offline
Drake Narco
Currently Playing
The Finals
Favourite Platform(s)
PC
Pronouns
Me
I replace computer stuff every couple years. The newest updates were a 2TB SSD and three new 80mm cooling fans.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Feb 23rd, 2022, 01:36 AM)zoldos Wrote:
I replace computer stuff every couple years.  The newest updates were a 2TB SSD and three new 80mm cooling fans.
Is that for everything including monitors and keyboards and mice, or just the hardware of the actual computer itself?

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Feb 23rd, 2022, 01:36 AM)zoldos Wrote:
I replace computer stuff every couple years.  The newest updates were a 2TB SSD and three new 80mm cooling fans.
Is that for everything including monitors and keyboards and mice, or just the hardware of the actual computer itself?
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,243
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
(Feb 22nd, 2022, 12:26 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:

It's good to keep track of things like the calories you burn (and, in turn, match what you consume), your sleep habits, and even just generally tracking your heart rate. More than just steps! Keeping track of your health is pretty important, so I'd look into getting that sooner than later.

I replace as soon as 1) a sale for the new version comes up or 2) thing is putting me at a disadvantage or risk.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,243 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
(Feb 22nd, 2022, 12:26 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:

It's good to keep track of things like the calories you burn (and, in turn, match what you consume), your sleep habits, and even just generally tracking your heart rate. More than just steps! Keeping track of your health is pretty important, so I'd look into getting that sooner than later.

I replace as soon as 1) a sale for the new version comes up or 2) thing is putting me at a disadvantage or risk.
zoldos Offline
Drake Narco
Currently Playing
The Finals
Favourite Platform(s)
PC
Pronouns
Me
(Feb 23rd, 2022, 02:09 AM)Moonface Wrote:
Just depends.  I usually stick with monitors for awhile.  My mouse is a few months old, and I've had the keyboard in storage and just hooked it up last year. Smile
-=<>=-
zoldos Offline
Drake Narco
Currently Playing
The Finals
Favourite Platform(s)
PC
Pronouns
Me
(Feb 23rd, 2022, 02:09 AM)Moonface Wrote:
Just depends.  I usually stick with monitors for awhile.  My mouse is a few months old, and I've had the keyboard in storage and just hooked it up last year. Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Discontinued Things Do You Miss? Moonface 8 1,476 Jun 21st, 2023, 09:49 AM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  Things You Used To Like? Moonface 27 10,661 Jul 13th, 2022, 02:44 AM
Last Post: WR91