Bloodborne and Other Game Demakes
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
After 13 months of development, the PSX-style demake of Bloodborne has been officially released in a playable state!

Details of how to download the game are included in the video description. It is not the entire game, but contains the entire area of Central Yarham and includes the Blood Starved Beast and Father Gascoigne as bosses you can face.

I've seen a little of the released product in action on Twitch yesterday, and it looked pretty good! For anyone who wants to see how it compares to the original, someone made a comparison video of various shots and areas in both games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RvHtcgf...nnel=Cycu1

While this Bloodborne demake is probably now going to be the most notable example, there have been plenty of other demakes before this one, albeit not necessarily released as playable versions and rather as proof of concepts: Of the ones I've shared, which ones were your favourites, and do you know of any other demakes not listed here or would like to see one tackled that hasn't been yet? Perhaps there's a demake you'd like so much you'd like to see it released on a retro system?
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
After 13 months of development, the PSX-style demake of Bloodborne has been officially released in a playable state!

Details of how to download the game are included in the video description. It is not the entire game, but contains the entire area of Central Yarham and includes the Blood Starved Beast and Father Gascoigne as bosses you can face.

I've seen a little of the released product in action on Twitch yesterday, and it looked pretty good! For anyone who wants to see how it compares to the original, someone made a comparison video of various shots and areas in both games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RvHtcgf...nnel=Cycu1

While this Bloodborne demake is probably now going to be the most notable example, there have been plenty of other demakes before this one, albeit not necessarily released as playable versions and rather as proof of concepts: Of the ones I've shared, which ones were your favourites, and do you know of any other demakes not listed here or would like to see one tackled that hasn't been yet? Perhaps there's a demake you'd like so much you'd like to see it released on a retro system?
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,630
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
I saw LobosJR playing this yesterday and it was the trippiest shit I've ever seen. Not a fan of the fact that the person making it decided to just throw Winter Lanterns all over the place in the start, but the fact that there's new areas and a completely new boss was kinda neat. Definitely has more of a horror feel to it than originally. Feels like you're playing a PSX Resident Evil game or something.
2023 Platinum Goal: 1/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Remnant: From the Ashes
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,630 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
I saw LobosJR playing this yesterday and it was the trippiest shit I've ever seen. Not a fan of the fact that the person making it decided to just throw Winter Lanterns all over the place in the start, but the fact that there's new areas and a completely new boss was kinda neat. Definitely has more of a horror feel to it than originally. Feels like you're playing a PSX Resident Evil game or something.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Dragon Lord: I didn't know there was actual new content in this and that certain enemies from other areas of the game were added in this. I'm not sure if I want to look it up or not because I can't decide if I'll play this. Do you think you'll play it at all DL?

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Dragon Lord: I didn't know there was actual new content in this and that certain enemies from other areas of the game were added in this. I'm not sure if I want to look it up or not because I can't decide if I'll play this. Do you think you'll play it at all DL?
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,630
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
I'm not likely to try it myself, no. It's interesting to watch, but I don't think it'd be something I'd have fun playing myself. Like I mentioned, I'm not a fan of the creator of the demake just spamming Winter Lanterns every where, and judging by what I saw when Lobos was playing it, their grabs have even more ridiculous hitboxes in this demake than they do the actual game. Like most other mods, I'll stick to watching someone else play it, while I just play the vanilla games myself.
2023 Platinum Goal: 1/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Remnant: From the Ashes
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,630 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
I'm not likely to try it myself, no. It's interesting to watch, but I don't think it'd be something I'd have fun playing myself. Like I mentioned, I'm not a fan of the creator of the demake just spamming Winter Lanterns every where, and judging by what I saw when Lobos was playing it, their grabs have even more ridiculous hitboxes in this demake than they do the actual game. Like most other mods, I'll stick to watching someone else play it, while I just play the vanilla games myself.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Feb 2nd, 2022, 04:12 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
Having gone back to Bloodborne recently I got a harsh reminder of what a Winter Lantern actually is. Yeah, if those are all over the place in the demake then I don't know if I even want to play it right now. I've never even managed to beat one of them in the proper game let alone trying to do it in a demake where I have less stuff to use.

I was going to put this in the Metroid thread primarily for @Monocle but it fits better here; there's been a few demakes made for Metroid Dread that I found interesting to have seen made so close to when the game released.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Feb 2nd, 2022, 04:12 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
Having gone back to Bloodborne recently I got a harsh reminder of what a Winter Lantern actually is. Yeah, if those are all over the place in the demake then I don't know if I even want to play it right now. I've never even managed to beat one of them in the proper game let alone trying to do it in a demake where I have less stuff to use.

I was going to put this in the Metroid thread primarily for @Monocle but it fits better here; there's been a few demakes made for Metroid Dread that I found interesting to have seen made so close to when the game released.

Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728
Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
the NES one is eh but that GBC one looks so fucking good omg. I might need to try it when I'm not playing Elden Ring
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728 Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
the NES one is eh but that GBC one looks so fucking good omg. I might need to try it when I'm not playing Elden Ring
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Yeah the NES one could probably do better. Mechanically they did a good job but visually it could use more work. The GBC one is pretty solid though.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Yeah the NES one could probably do better. Mechanically they did a good job but visually it could use more work. The GBC one is pretty solid though.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
My issue with the NES one is that it just gets far too busy in the environments to the point that it looks tacky, but other areas are so simplistic they're just devoid of any atmosphere and could pass off as anything rather than specifically Dread. The GBA one is simple too but at least it's consistent and you can see what areas it's supposed to resemble even with the minimal detailing, whereas I didn't find that as feasible with the NES one.

I was looking up other demakes and saw that someone did Metroid Prime but demade it into a 2D side scroller, and it looks incredibly good:

Unfortunately Nintendo got wind of it and murdered it the second a demo went up for it, which is a shame but not surprising either.

For something demade that is playable, anyone who likes Disco Elysium can play a Gameboy demake of it here: https://csbrannan.itch.io/disco-elysium-...oy-edition

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
My issue with the NES one is that it just gets far too busy in the environments to the point that it looks tacky, but other areas are so simplistic they're just devoid of any atmosphere and could pass off as anything rather than specifically Dread. The GBA one is simple too but at least it's consistent and you can see what areas it's supposed to resemble even with the minimal detailing, whereas I didn't find that as feasible with the NES one.

I was looking up other demakes and saw that someone did Metroid Prime but demade it into a 2D side scroller, and it looks incredibly good:

Unfortunately Nintendo got wind of it and murdered it the second a demo went up for it, which is a shame but not surprising either.

For something demade that is playable, anyone who likes Disco Elysium can play a Gameboy demake of it here: https://csbrannan.itch.io/disco-elysium-...oy-edition
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Frank @"WrestleRacer91"
Just found this demake for Dead Space on YouTube which does a neat job of adapting the game to the style of older horror titles by going for a fixed camera system like Resident Evil did:

That channel has a couple of other game demakes on it, such as RE4 and TLoU.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Frank @"WrestleRacer91"
Just found this demake for Dead Space on YouTube which does a neat job of adapting the game to the style of older horror titles by going for a fixed camera system like Resident Evil did:

ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
The fixed camera thing is pretty smart thing to consider for a demake of this kind. Very cool. Smile
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
The fixed camera thing is pretty smart thing to consider for a demake of this kind. Very cool. Smile
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 29th, 2022, 04:52 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Yeah, especially since third person shooters weren't really a thing I think until the 6th generation.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 29th, 2022, 04:52 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Yeah, especially since third person shooters weren't really a thing I think until the 6th generation.
Frank Offline
The "Golden" One
Favourite Platform(s)
Nintendo
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 4,345
Metroid Mario Kart Super Mario Bros. 
(Sep 26th, 2022, 10:39 PM)Moonface Wrote:
@Frank @"WrestleRacer91"

REd Space  ROFL

Those tank controls though  Shock
[Image: wrdxyKE.png]

Frank Offline
The "Golden" One
Favourite Platform(s)
Nintendo
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 4,345 Metroid Mario Kart Super Mario Bros. 
(Sep 26th, 2022, 10:39 PM)Moonface Wrote:
@Frank @"WrestleRacer91"

REd Space  ROFL

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 30th, 2022, 03:27 AM)Frank Wrote:
REd Space  ROFL

I'm more concerned about how you'd be supposed to aim at limbs to shoot them off. I guess it could be done where aiming at the lower or upper half targets the limbs on those areas, but the tension with fighting necromorphs is trying to line up shots while avoiding having your head ripped off. XD

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
REd Space  ROFL

I'm more concerned about how you'd be supposed to aim at limbs to shoot them off. I guess it could be done where aiming at the lower or upper half targets the limbs on those areas, but the tension with fighting necromorphs is trying to line up shots while avoiding having your head ripped off. XD
Frank Offline
The "Golden" One
Favourite Platform(s)
Nintendo
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 4,345
Metroid Mario Kart Super Mario Bros. 
(Oct 1st, 2022, 01:45 AM)Moonface Wrote:
REd Space  ROFL

Shooting the top or bottom area of the enemies would work. It would have to be programed in su h a way to make the limbs fall off, but it would be doable in a PS1 engine I think. Tongue
[Image: wrdxyKE.png]

Frank Offline
The "Golden" One
Favourite Platform(s)
Nintendo
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 4,345 Metroid Mario Kart Super Mario Bros. 
REd Space  ROFL

Shooting the top or bottom area of the enemies would work. It would have to be programed in su h a way to make the limbs fall off, but it would be doable in a PS1 engine I think. Tongue
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Oct 3rd, 2022, 08:25 PM)Frank Wrote:
REd Space  ROFL

Oh it would be doable, but it would remove a lot of the tension. Sure there'd be tension from the slow tank control movement but at that point the game just turns into Resident Evil with a Dead Space skin really.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Oct 3rd, 2022, 08:25 PM)Frank Wrote:
REd Space  ROFL

Oh it would be doable, but it would remove a lot of the tension. Sure there'd be tension from the slow tank control movement but at that point the game just turns into Resident Evil with a Dead Space skin really.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do You View Smash Bros. as a Party Game or a Fighting Game? Moonface 5 730 Aug 2nd, 2023, 03:38 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  Game creator Content ID'd on his own game Maniakkid25 4 4,847 Dec 7th, 2019, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Moonface