Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,651
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 

The next generation of Pokémon has been officially announced, and you'll be able to experience it for yourself first hand later this year! The games will be retaining the open world approach of Legends: Arceus, but as you can tell by the thread name we will be going back to separate versions again.

For those of you here who have been playing Arceus or perhaps have watched someone else playing it via Twitch, what are your hopes for this game to improve on that formula or to just improve on the Pokémon formula in general?

I have to say it already looks like it's graphically improved over Arceus? I might be wrong because I watched the trailer on my phone but it looked like an improvement. As for the new starters, they're neat I guess. I can't say they really caught my attention in comparison to the rest of the trailer. XD
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,651 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 

The next generation of Pokémon has been officially announced, and you'll be able to experience it for yourself first hand later this year! The games will be retaining the open world approach of Legends: Arceus, but as you can tell by the thread name we will be going back to separate versions again.

For those of you here who have been playing Arceus or perhaps have watched someone else playing it via Twitch, what are your hopes for this game to improve on that formula or to just improve on the Pokémon formula in general?

I have to say it already looks like it's graphically improved over Arceus? I might be wrong because I watched the trailer on my phone but it looked like an improvement. As for the new starters, they're neat I guess. I can't say they really caught my attention in comparison to the rest of the trailer. XD
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371
Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
TAKE THAT BACK MOONY! THAT DUCK/GOOSE IS THE BEST THING THAT EVER HAPPENED TO POKEMON AND I WILL FIGHT YOU ABOUT IT! D:<

I am excited the region looks interesting and I am just really curious what region it based off due to the castles I'm thinking its Europe cause I don't think Japan has any castlees, but I could be wrong!

I'm pretty sure the two trainers at the end are our player characters this time and it seem that we might start at some sorta school.

I for one will be choosing the duck as this shit post points:

[Image: FMnGyuAXoAAvZ-f?format=jpg&name=medium]
[Image: 30-humptypunch3.gif]
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371 Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
TAKE THAT BACK MOONY! THAT DUCK/GOOSE IS THE BEST THING THAT EVER HAPPENED TO POKEMON AND I WILL FIGHT YOU ABOUT IT! D:<

I am excited the region looks interesting and I am just really curious what region it based off due to the castles I'm thinking its Europe cause I don't think Japan has any castlees, but I could be wrong!

I'm pretty sure the two trainers at the end are our player characters this time and it seem that we might start at some sorta school.

I for one will be choosing the duck as this shit post points:

[Image: FMnGyuAXoAAvZ-f?format=jpg&name=medium]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,732
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Quick thoughts:

-Wild Pokemon wandering the field gives me hope that it'll play like Legends.
-Those starter designs are so fucking terrible. The grass cat is okay at best, but the fire and water ones are GARBAAAAAAAAAGE. Good lord they keep outdoing themselves in terrible starter designs gen after gen
-Why are we playing as literal 5-year olds?
-I saw Larvitar in the trailer, I hope this means we can catch one early enough to where we can actually use Tyrannitar before post-Elite 4.
-Better have Eevee available early
-Picking Violet because the stripped shorts the characters have in Scarlet are ugly as fuck

Hype meter: 3/10, will go up to 6/10 if they confirm it plays like Legends.
2023 Platinum Goal: 2/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Tunic
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,732 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Quick thoughts:

-Those starter designs are so fucking terrible. The grass cat is okay at best, but the fire and water ones are GARBAAAAAAAAAGE. Good lord they keep outdoing themselves in terrible starter designs gen after gen
-I saw Larvitar in the trailer, I hope this means we can catch one early enough to where we can actually use Tyrannitar before post-Elite 4.
-Picking Violet because the stripped shorts the characters have in Scarlet are ugly as fuck

Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371
Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
The player character do feel a bit younger, but it could honestly just be because of those hats?
[Image: 30-humptypunch3.gif]
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371 Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
The player character do feel a bit younger, but it could honestly just be because of those hats?
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Feb 27th, 2022, 04:19 PM)Karo Wrote:

The only one I really like is the Fire-type starter. The others don't feel very inspired to me and seem pretty safe.

As for the region it is confirmed to be Spain. A few areas in the trailer have already been attributed to real world locations that are all in Spain.

(Feb 27th, 2022, 04:30 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
Quick thoughts:

It's confirmed to be open world so I expect it'll be like Legends but in a modern-day setting now. I wonder if travel will be restricted at all though to stop players trying to skip gyms and stuff by flying across the map.

The player characters don't look any younger to me than those in XY. They look like a typical 7-9 year old to me. Tongue

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Feb 27th, 2022, 04:19 PM)Karo Wrote:

The only one I really like is the Fire-type starter. The others don't feel very inspired to me and seem pretty safe.

As for the region it is confirmed to be Spain. A few areas in the trailer have already been attributed to real world locations that are all in Spain.

(Feb 27th, 2022, 04:30 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
Quick thoughts:

It's confirmed to be open world so I expect it'll be like Legends but in a modern-day setting now. I wonder if travel will be restricted at all though to stop players trying to skip gyms and stuff by flying across the map.

The player characters don't look any younger to me than those in XY. They look like a typical 7-9 year old to me. Tongue
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,093
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Not bad...yet. As much as the Legends Arceus game didn't interest me enough, maybe this one will as I got a slightly bigger urge to desire this over Pearl/Diamond remakes and Arceus for some reason. Grass type starter is just a happy Litten, but hopefully won't turn into another Incineroar but Grass. Fire type might be towards a dinosaur or something? Water type I'm least into at the moment. The..."hair" is what puts me off but I could live with it and the rest is good, although I want to wait until I see their evolutions before deciding which could be my preferred starter. Although if I do end up with the fire-type and if Growlithe is in, I will instantly switch because Arcanine. I suddenly decided no matter what new Pokémon game I may get and it has Growlithe, I will always make my protag female for Kagura and Sadaharu just like I did for Shield. Oh, that's also depending on customisation because oof their attire, yikes. Not a fan of it, also won't choose male this time either. Darn I miss BW era designs, barring BW2 male. This isn't definite to get for me yet if I hadn't made that obvious. XD
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,093 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Not bad...yet. As much as the Legends Arceus game didn't interest me enough, maybe this one will as I got a slightly bigger urge to desire this over Pearl/Diamond remakes and Arceus for some reason. Grass type starter is just a happy Litten, but hopefully won't turn into another Incineroar but Grass. Fire type might be towards a dinosaur or something? Water type I'm least into at the moment. The..."hair" is what puts me off but I could live with it and the rest is good, although I want to wait until I see their evolutions before deciding which could be my preferred starter. Although if I do end up with the fire-type and if Growlithe is in, I will instantly switch because Arcanine. I suddenly decided no matter what new Pokémon game I may get and it has Growlithe, I will always make my protag female for Kagura and Sadaharu just like I did for Shield. Oh, that's also depending on customisation because oof their attire, yikes. Not a fan of it, also won't choose male this time either. Darn I miss BW era designs, barring BW2 male. This isn't definite to get for me yet if I hadn't made that obvious. XD
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, final evolutions are always what makes me decide on a starter but right now I'm all in on the fire one. I just love how goofy he looks. It reminds me of Totodile in that sense. Grin

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, final evolutions are always what makes me decide on a starter but right now I'm all in on the fire one. I just love how goofy he looks. It reminds me of Totodile in that sense. Grin
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
(Feb 28th, 2022, 07:17 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Oh, that's also depending on customisation because oof their attire, yikes. Not a fan of it, also won't choose male this time either. Darn I miss BW era designs, barring BW2 male. This isn't definite to get for me yet if I hadn't made that obvious. XD

Yeah, the default outfits are super painful, so hopefully there's tons of customization to make them look better. 

Though I don't think there's any fixing the fact they look like the should be in Kindergarten. Like I said before, Pokemon protags are always young, but normally they're around what... 12 or so? These two look like they're 5. 

I hope the grass Cat will end up looking okay in the end, but I'm afraid of it going down the same route that Fennekin did, and its final evo just being some furry's wet dream. Hopefully it actually stays cat-like and doesn't end up looking like garbage. 

The other two starters I have no hope for. I expect the water start to just be Donald Duck for its final evo and I don't even want to see how stupid the fire one is going to look at the end.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
(Feb 28th, 2022, 07:17 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Oh, that's also depending on customisation because oof their attire, yikes. Not a fan of it, also won't choose male this time either. Darn I miss BW era designs, barring BW2 male. This isn't definite to get for me yet if I hadn't made that obvious. XD

Yeah, the default outfits are super painful, so hopefully there's tons of customization to make them look better. 

Though I don't think there's any fixing the fact they look like the should be in Kindergarten. Like I said before, Pokemon protags are always young, but normally they're around what... 12 or so? These two look like they're 5. 

I hope the grass Cat will end up looking okay in the end, but I'm afraid of it going down the same route that Fennekin did, and its final evo just being some furry's wet dream. Hopefully it actually stays cat-like and doesn't end up looking like garbage. 

The other two starters I have no hope for. I expect the water start to just be Donald Duck for its final evo and I don't even want to see how stupid the fire one is going to look at the end.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,187
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
(Feb 28th, 2022, 07:27 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Moony gets it  Wow

He's precious fire croc boi and I love and will protect him.

I'm intrigued by this. I can't say I'm balls to the wall hype but I'm definitely giving it my full attention. I'm loving the inspirations on Spanish culture so far. The names of the starters are great.

[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,187 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
(Feb 28th, 2022, 07:27 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Moony gets it  Wow

He's precious fire croc boi and I love and will protect him.

I'm intrigued by this. I can't say I'm balls to the wall hype but I'm definitely giving it my full attention. I'm loving the inspirations on Spanish culture so far. The names of the starters are great.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Is anyone else hoping there's no one-off gimmick in this one like there has been for a while now? We've had Mega Evolutions, Gigantimax, Z Moves, and whatever else and it always stays for one game. The only thing that got added and stayed that affected Pokemon themselves were the region variants, which is actually a decent way to do new evolutions without throwing them all in the garbage as soon as the next game comes out.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Is anyone else hoping there's no one-off gimmick in this one like there has been for a while now? We've had Mega Evolutions, Gigantimax, Z Moves, and whatever else and it always stays for one game. The only thing that got added and stayed that affected Pokemon themselves were the region variants, which is actually a decent way to do new evolutions without throwing them all in the garbage as soon as the next game comes out.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Oh, I'm sure Gamefreak will come up with something stupid for us in these ones too. They already used up all their good development on Legends, can't release two well developed Pokemon games in the same year. They wouldn't meet their quota of stupid decisions that way.

Like I said before, go into these ones with very low expectations and everything will be fine.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Oh, I'm sure Gamefreak will come up with something stupid for us in these ones too. They already used up all their good development on Legends, can't release two well developed Pokemon games in the same year. They wouldn't meet their quota of stupid decisions that way.

Like I said before, go into these ones with very low expectations and everything will be fine.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I was curious what the rest of the internet was coming up with for gimmick speculation and a common one I saw was something connected to type swapping of moves. Seems to have come up based on the star emblem in the plaza from the trailer and that the Japanese logos for these games also feature a star emblem, and that apparently previous Japanese logos for Pokemon games have contained something related to that games respective gimmick.

I can get behind this one too since the Pokeball in the plaza emblem is rainbow coloured, and the game names could be referencing infrared and ultraviolet which are on the furthest ends of the light spectrum, so maybe the gimmick is related to how colour can change to anything on that spectrum and the types are all surrounding that Pokeball emblem.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I was curious what the rest of the internet was coming up with for gimmick speculation and a common one I saw was something connected to type swapping of moves. Seems to have come up based on the star emblem in the plaza from the trailer and that the Japanese logos for these games also feature a star emblem, and that apparently previous Japanese logos for Pokemon games have contained something related to that games respective gimmick.

I can get behind this one too since the Pokeball in the plaza emblem is rainbow coloured, and the game names could be referencing infrared and ultraviolet which are on the furthest ends of the light spectrum, so maybe the gimmick is related to how colour can change to anything on that spectrum and the types are all surrounding that Pokeball emblem.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,187
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
oh god, adding MORE RNG to the battle systems Shock

I mean, there are existing abilities and moves that do this already (Hidden Power, for example, is a move that's type and power is determined by the user's IVs). Or full Pokemon that just take on the typing of whatever move hits it.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,187 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
oh god, adding MORE RNG to the battle systems Shock

I mean, there are existing abilities and moves that do this already (Hidden Power, for example, is a move that's type and power is determined by the user's IVs). Or full Pokemon that just take on the typing of whatever move hits it.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet | Second Trailer
A new trailer has been released for Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet, showing off new features, new Pokémon, and giving us an official release date!

• Each version will have its own professor: Professor Sada for Scarlet, and Professor Turo for Violet - Official Artwork
  • There is four player online co-op which allows you to explore the world together.
  • New Pokémon! Pawmi (Electric) - Official Artwork
  • New Pokémon! Smoliv (Grass/Normal) - Official Artwork
  • New Pokémon! Lechonk (Normal) - Official Artwork
  • The players rival is called Nemona - Official Artwork
  • The game is entirely open world and can be played in any order the player wishes.
  • New Legendary Pokémon! Koraidon (???) | Scarlet Version
  • New Legendary Pokémon! Miraidon (???) | Violet Version
  • Pokémon Centers appear to be open booth style in this game, allowing access to them in the open world without entering a building.
  • Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet release on November 18th.
For lack of a better image, here are the official box arts:

[Image: FUKzdV6XEAAtszy?format=jpg]

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet | Second Trailer
A new trailer has been released for Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet, showing off new features, new Pokémon, and giving us an official release date!

• Each version will have its own professor: Professor Sada for Scarlet, and Professor Turo for Violet - Official Artwork
  • There is four player online co-op which allows you to explore the world together.
  • New Pokémon! Pawmi (Electric) - Official Artwork
  • New Pokémon! Smoliv (Grass/Normal) - Official Artwork
  • New Pokémon! Lechonk (Normal) - Official Artwork
  • The players rival is called Nemona - Official Artwork
  • The game is entirely open world and can be played in any order the player wishes.
  • New Legendary Pokémon! Koraidon (???) | Scarlet Version
  • New Legendary Pokémon! Miraidon (???) | Violet Version
  • Pokémon Centers appear to be open booth style in this game, allowing access to them in the open world without entering a building.
  • Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet release on November 18th.
For lack of a better image, here are the official box arts:

[Image: FUKzdV6XEAAtszy?format=jpg]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Okay, true open world is pretty damn awesome. Very interested now. The co-op aspect of it is also extremely interesting. Being able to do an entire co-op playthrough with friends? That sounds pretty cool.

But the most important part of this entire trailer... THERE WAS A FLAFFY IN THERE. Which is an indication that for the first time in FOREVER, we'll actually be able to have an Ampharos without needing to transfer from another generation! That has me very happy.

Now that we've gotten such good information about the game, I can say that I'm feeling a little bit of hype for them now.

Though the Legendary Pokemon look stupid as hell, but I expect that from them at this point. Hopefully the games are filled with enough Gen I-IV Pokemon that I can avoid any of the new ones (except maybe grass Kitty if its second and third evos don't look like super ass).
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Okay, true open world is pretty damn awesome. Very interested now. The co-op aspect of it is also extremely interesting. Being able to do an entire co-op playthrough with friends? That sounds pretty cool.

But the most important part of this entire trailer... THERE WAS A FLAFFY IN THERE. Which is an indication that for the first time in FOREVER, we'll actually be able to have an Ampharos without needing to transfer from another generation! That has me very happy.

Now that we've gotten such good information about the game, I can say that I'm feeling a little bit of hype for them now.

Though the Legendary Pokemon look stupid as hell, but I expect that from them at this point. Hopefully the games are filled with enough Gen I-IV Pokemon that I can avoid any of the new ones (except maybe grass Kitty if its second and third evos don't look like super ass).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pokémon (Series) | Feb. 27 Presents Summary Moonface 100 26,708 Apr 7th, 2024, 07:26 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Pokémon Legends: Arceus Moonface 83 20,215 May 29th, 2022, 03:50 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Moonface 74 18,740 Mar 19th, 2022, 05:10 PM
Last Post: Dragon Lord
  Pokémon Unite Karo 9 3,239 Aug 22nd, 2021, 04:26 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield Moonface 224 116,429 Jan 28th, 2021, 12:07 PM
Last Post: Mr EliteL