What Was Your First Job?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,601
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I was randomly remembering previous jobs I had, as well as the time @Karo told me about her time working for Wal-Mart (no idea why this one entered my head too but it did), and since I figured most if not all of us have had at least one or more jobs, I'm curious what everyone's first job was? XD

I'm not too sure how to determine what my first was. Technically it was working at a library for two weeks when I was 15, but it was for work experience as part of our Year 10 curriculum so we didn't get paid squat the entire time for that work. If I were to base it on doing a job and actually being paid for it, then working in a candy store until I got "fired" because the owner was a fucking idiot. Rolleyes
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,601 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I was randomly remembering previous jobs I had, as well as the time @Karo told me about her time working for Wal-Mart (no idea why this one entered my head too but it did), and since I figured most if not all of us have had at least one or more jobs, I'm curious what everyone's first job was? XD

I'm not too sure how to determine what my first was. Technically it was working at a library for two weeks when I was 15, but it was for work experience as part of our Year 10 curriculum so we didn't get paid squat the entire time for that work. If I were to base it on doing a job and actually being paid for it, then working in a candy store until I got "fired" because the owner was a fucking idiot. Rolleyes
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Similarly I did work experience in a library too, at the same time as Moony but not the same place as it was at a Headquarters, which no longer is about anymore. For my first paying job, I joined Moony at the same candy store and left at the same time he did. Wasn't a contracted job luckily, just something for a small amount of cash. Started doing volunteering work for local reserves too while waiting for a proper job, which is still my current. Yay.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Similarly I did work experience in a library too, at the same time as Moony but not the same place as it was at a Headquarters, which no longer is about anymore. For my first paying job, I joined Moony at the same candy store and left at the same time he did. Wasn't a contracted job luckily, just something for a small amount of cash. Started doing volunteering work for local reserves too while waiting for a proper job, which is still my current. Yay.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(May 13th, 2022, 11:06 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
I thought you did a newspaper route one time or was that your brothers and you were covering it? Or maybe it wasn't you at all and someone else (god knows who). XD

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(May 13th, 2022, 11:06 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
I thought you did a newspaper route one time or was that your brothers and you were covering it? Or maybe it wasn't you at all and someone else (god knows who). XD
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,960
Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
Doing odd jobs around my dad's workplace during a summer.

However, my first real job was (and is) as a software developer, for a small local company. I've been doing it for over eight years now, and I'm still enjoying it (at least, as much as anybody can enjoy any job!)
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,960 Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 

However, my first real job was (and is) as a software developer, for a small local company. I've been doing it for over eight years now, and I'm still enjoying it (at least, as much as anybody can enjoy any job!)
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(May 16th, 2022, 12:05 AM)Kyng Wrote:

My dad would often invite me to go to work with him but I never wanted to. Tongue
Ooh, I knew you did something with computers but didn't know it was developing software. What sort of software is it?

Also @Mr EliteL, I found out yesterday that they got rid of work experience as a requirement in UK schools in 2011. I found out when I wondered what happened to make it work during Covid lockdowns. XD

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(May 16th, 2022, 12:05 AM)Kyng Wrote:

My dad would often invite me to go to work with him but I never wanted to. Tongue
Ooh, I knew you did something with computers but didn't know it was developing software. What sort of software is it?

Also @Mr EliteL, I found out yesterday that they got rid of work experience as a requirement in UK schools in 2011. I found out when I wondered what happened to make it work during Covid lockdowns. XD
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,231
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Same as Kyng: still in my first real career job! It'll be 7 years this coming September. Whew. I worry sometimes that I'm not as diversified as other folk in my field night be with that much experience but who knows where the road will take me next.

First regular job was with the regional grocery store chain as a cashier. I feel like both my opportunities at these jobs was pure luck based on the employers having faith in me based on initial impressions. Wondering if that luck will ever run out Errm
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,231 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Same as Kyng: still in my first real career job! It'll be 7 years this coming September. Whew. I worry sometimes that I'm not as diversified as other folk in my field night be with that much experience but who knows where the road will take me next.

First regular job was with the regional grocery store chain as a cashier. I feel like both my opportunities at these jobs was pure luck based on the employers having faith in me based on initial impressions. Wondering if that luck will ever run out Errm
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(May 17th, 2022, 05:30 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
I feel like both my opportunities at these jobs was pure luck based on the employers having faith in me based on initial impressions. Wondering if that luck will ever run out Errm
I don't see why future jobs would require luck as much, considering that so far every job you've had has been the first within its respective field. Any future jobs you get would have the tenure of your current job to back your applications up so there would be more for employers to work with than just being reliant on faith and personal impressions. Wink

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(May 17th, 2022, 05:30 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
I feel like both my opportunities at these jobs was pure luck based on the employers having faith in me based on initial impressions. Wondering if that luck will ever run out Errm
I don't see why future jobs would require luck as much, considering that so far every job you've had has been the first within its respective field. Any future jobs you get would have the tenure of your current job to back your applications up so there would be more for employers to work with than just being reliant on faith and personal impressions. Wink
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
(May 13th, 2022, 11:26 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Ah yes, that was my brother's first job. Myself and my sister did help him sometimes, both filling papers with the extra leaflets and what have you that come with the main newspaper, or help him with the round, more of the former though, and he'd give us a quid or two depending how much we did from his earnings. I didn't really class that as it was my own job at the time, but yeah that gave me a little taste of the working life.

Also about work experience, they stopped that sooner than I thought. Well I didn't think anything, but 2011 is 11 years away now, wonder if something else is done instead. Actually no, I don't wonder, I don't care. XD
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
(May 13th, 2022, 11:26 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Ah yes, that was my brother's first job. Myself and my sister did help him sometimes, both filling papers with the extra leaflets and what have you that come with the main newspaper, or help him with the round, more of the former though, and he'd give us a quid or two depending how much we did from his earnings. I didn't really class that as it was my own job at the time, but yeah that gave me a little taste of the working life.

Also about work experience, they stopped that sooner than I thought. Well I didn't think anything, but 2011 is 11 years away now, wonder if something else is done instead. Actually no, I don't wonder, I don't care. XD
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Mr EliteL: I maybe mixed it up because I think one time I went with you on a round but your brother wasn't present. If that never happened then I have no idea... XD

I doubt they replaced it with anything. Although looking it up it seems to just no longer be compulsory so it still happens but I guess schools or students can choose not to do it.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Mr EliteL: I maybe mixed it up because I think one time I went with you on a round but your brother wasn't present. If that never happened then I have no idea... XD

I doubt they replaced it with anything. Although looking it up it seems to just no longer be compulsory so it still happens but I guess schools or students can choose not to do it.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Oh, really we did? I may need to ask him when he had the job, was when I was in secondary school but perhaps while he was in Sixth Form into Uni, as I was in Year 7 when he was in Year 11 and we became friends in Year 9. If we (me and sister) helped do a round, it was usually with him but we took separate areas of the run, so perhaps if you joined me then I was delivering around your house. I know I wouldn't have done a round completely on my own though, so at the absolute very least my sister was there too if somehow my brother wasn't helping. But if not and then yeah not too sure or we both got the time frame so wrong and it never happened. LOL
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Oh, really we did? I may need to ask him when he had the job, was when I was in secondary school but perhaps while he was in Sixth Form into Uni, as I was in Year 7 when he was in Year 11 and we became friends in Year 9. If we (me and sister) helped do a round, it was usually with him but we took separate areas of the run, so perhaps if you joined me then I was delivering around your house. I know I wouldn't have done a round completely on my own though, so at the absolute very least my sister was there too if somehow my brother wasn't helping. But if not and then yeah not too sure or we both got the time frame so wrong and it never happened. LOL
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I don't know if this would count as a job or not, since it wasn't paid but it was basically doing the job of someone else. If so this would actually be my first:

So in primary school, the school office wouldn't have enough people in it to have them be able to take a lunch and leave the office. Rather than find an ethical way to deal with this, the school instead would ask students in Year 5/6 if they wanted to work in the office for lunch. Oddly enough, we were allowed to eat in there during lunch so I guess we were giving the staff a break out of the office entirely rather than a break to eat, but we'd be in there in groups of two and just basically watch the office and deal with the rare phone call or visitor. I can't remember for the life of me if we got anything at all out of doing it other than flexing that we got to sit in an office students usually weren't allowed to be in. ROFL

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I don't know if this would count as a job or not, since it wasn't paid but it was basically doing the job of someone else. If so this would actually be my first:

So in primary school, the school office wouldn't have enough people in it to have them be able to take a lunch and leave the office. Rather than find an ethical way to deal with this, the school instead would ask students in Year 5/6 if they wanted to work in the office for lunch. Oddly enough, we were allowed to eat in there during lunch so I guess we were giving the staff a break out of the office entirely rather than a break to eat, but we'd be in there in groups of two and just basically watch the office and deal with the rare phone call or visitor. I can't remember for the life of me if we got anything at all out of doing it other than flexing that we got to sit in an office students usually weren't allowed to be in. ROFL
WR91 Offline
Casual
XP: 4,670
My first job was working at Target as a cart attendant. I worked there for a year and then moved onto something better.
WR91 Offline
Casual
My first job was working at Target as a cart attendant. I worked there for a year and then moved onto something better.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jun 30th, 2022, 01:36 PM)WrestleRacer91 Wrote:
What did you move onto?

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
What did you move onto?
WR91 Offline
Casual
(Jul 1st, 2022, 07:03 PM)Moonface Wrote:
What did you move onto?
Just another retail job. But it was better than Target.
WR91 Offline
Casual
What did you move onto?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jul 4th, 2022, 05:35 AM)WrestleRacer91 Wrote:
What did you move onto?
I've not heard much about Target as a job but the little I have heard implied that hours are very sporadic and they sometimes do one of those cringey group cheer things.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jul 4th, 2022, 05:35 AM)WrestleRacer91 Wrote:
What did you move onto?
I've not heard much about Target as a job but the little I have heard implied that hours are very sporadic and they sometimes do one of those cringey group cheer things.