What Do You Think of Piracy?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,601
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I feel like the majority of people have pirated something at least once in their life, and I'm definitely one of those people, but just because I've pirated things it doesn't necessarily mean my view on piracy is "all of it is okay". For me, I have zero issues with pirating anything that is simply not accessible to me, like music that hasn't been released in my country, or old media that isn't available to purchase anymore like retro games and such. If I can't give the producer of the goods my money anyway, then me pirating the goods isn't going to make a difference to them is how I see it.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,601 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I feel like the majority of people have pirated something at least once in their life, and I'm definitely one of those people, but just because I've pirated things it doesn't necessarily mean my view on piracy is "all of it is okay". For me, I have zero issues with pirating anything that is simply not accessible to me, like music that hasn't been released in my country, or old media that isn't available to purchase anymore like retro games and such. If I can't give the producer of the goods my money anyway, then me pirating the goods isn't going to make a difference to them is how I see it.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,231
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Yeah, if you make it next to impossible for me to access your material in any legal measure, your ass is being taken to the high seas. That simple.

Otherwise, I do my best these days to acquire things and support the people I care about's works in the most legal way possible.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,231 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Yeah, if you make it next to impossible for me to access your material in any legal measure, your ass is being taken to the high seas. That simple.

Otherwise, I do my best these days to acquire things and support the people I care about's works in the most legal way possible.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Aug 4th, 2022, 03:54 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
That's something I really like about Spotify, since I think a lot of the Japanese stuff on there (especially anime OP's/ED's) probably hasn't been released physically outside of Japan so you have to rely on imports which can potentially be pricey.

I also won't be surprised when piracy sees an uptick due to the way streaming services are being nowadays. Errm

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Aug 4th, 2022, 03:54 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
That's something I really like about Spotify, since I think a lot of the Japanese stuff on there (especially anime OP's/ED's) probably hasn't been released physically outside of Japan so you have to rely on imports which can potentially be pricey.

I also won't be surprised when piracy sees an uptick due to the way streaming services are being nowadays. Errm
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Feel the same as you guys, would rather try to find and buy what I want than to pirate it. I have done fairly minor things before like the odd song I couldn't get anywhere but even that now I don't bother with. Dislike video game piracy the most though and won't ever to it, used to be films and shows too but can't be bothered with them anymore.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Feel the same as you guys, would rather try to find and buy what I want than to pirate it. I have done fairly minor things before like the odd song I couldn't get anywhere but even that now I don't bother with. Dislike video game piracy the most though and won't ever to it, used to be films and shows too but can't be bothered with them anymore.
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,960
Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
Yeah, as someone who works in software development, I'm in no position to post anything too supportive of piracy (after all, if everybody pirated, then I'd be out of a job).

But if the software is impossible to obtain legally... then, what's the alternative?
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,960 Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
Yeah, as someone who works in software development, I'm in no position to post anything too supportive of piracy (after all, if everybody pirated, then I'd be out of a job).

But if the software is impossible to obtain legally... then, what's the alternative?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Aug 7th, 2022, 07:15 PM)Kyng Wrote:
Unless the software is an Adobe product... Whistle
Not that I pirate mine because I share with @ShiraNoMai but their subscription model is way overpriced.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Aug 7th, 2022, 07:15 PM)Kyng Wrote:
Unless the software is an Adobe product... Whistle
Not that I pirate mine because I share with @ShiraNoMai but their subscription model is way overpriced.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
I somehow got the whole CC suite for $30. I got it originally for $15 on a Black Friday deal, and when the deal was up, it was $30. Not complaining. Apparently just Photoshop is $20. Errm

If it wasn't next to impossible to still do it, I'd probably be still doing it. Adobe is such a shit company that ruins everything it touches and has such a disgusting monopolizing grip over my entire industry.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
I somehow got the whole CC suite for $30. I got it originally for $15 on a Black Friday deal, and when the deal was up, it was $30. Not complaining. Apparently just Photoshop is $20. Errm

If it wasn't next to impossible to still do it, I'd probably be still doing it. Adobe is such a shit company that ruins everything it touches and has such a disgusting monopolizing grip over my entire industry.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Aug 14th, 2022, 12:13 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

Holy smokes that's a good deal. Isn't CC like hundreds of dollars back before it turned subscription based?

What sucks about alternatives to Adobe is that they all feel like ticking time bombs until they turn to garbage, and if not that then they're not going to be recognized in the industry to be used or even a good idea to put on resumes. Eh

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Aug 14th, 2022, 12:13 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

Holy smokes that's a good deal. Isn't CC like hundreds of dollars back before it turned subscription based?

What sucks about alternatives to Adobe is that they all feel like ticking time bombs until they turn to garbage, and if not that then they're not going to be recognized in the industry to be used or even a good idea to put on resumes. Eh
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
CC was always subscription based. You mean CS? Yeah those were hefty, couple hundred at least. But it was easy to "acquire" when it wasn't always connected to the online, ya know?

Now this shit gets patched like a badly made game on the regular. And they're always breaking something and causing the damn app to crash like the aforementioned "badly made game" Meh
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
CC was always subscription based. You mean CS? Yeah those were hefty, couple hundred at least. But it was easy to "acquire" when it wasn't always connected to the online, ya know?

Now this shit gets patched like a badly made game on the regular. And they're always breaking something and causing the damn app to crash like the aforementioned "badly made game" Meh
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Aug 28th, 2022, 03:10 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

Ah, right; forgot it used to be a different name before the subscription model took hold.

I expect for people who just want to use Photoshop as a hobby or to give it a whirl just go and pirate the old versions. I doubt there's many features in CC that someone would miss who's just doing stuff in the program for fun. I can't think of anything CC has that I would miss if I just used CS instead. Hmm

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Aug 28th, 2022, 03:10 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

Ah, right; forgot it used to be a different name before the subscription model took hold.

I expect for people who just want to use Photoshop as a hobby or to give it a whirl just go and pirate the old versions. I doubt there's many features in CC that someone would miss who's just doing stuff in the program for fun. I can't think of anything CC has that I would miss if I just used CS instead. Hmm