Poll: Do You Still Celebrate Your Birthday?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
42.86%
3 42.86%
No
0%
0 0%
Depends on those around me
57.14%
4 57.14%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Do You Still Celebrate Your Birthday?
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,589
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
As people get older, I find there tends to be a split between those who continue to do something for their birthday (go out for a meal, take the day off work, etc.) and those who just stop caring much about it and just go about their business like it was any other day of the year. So I'm curious where everyone here stands on the matter. Smile

I sorta fall into a middle ground I think. I didn't really do much for my birthday in the years prior to moving to the US, and only really started doing anything for it because @ShiraNoMai would do something for me or offer to take me somewhere. I'd never really book the day off work, and unless there's something I'd be doing on the day I doubt I'd book the day off at my current job because I'd lose out on pay. Basically what I do comes down to what those around me do; if no one really pitched to do anything I don't know if I'd care to do anything for myself. Errm
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,589 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
As people get older, I find there tends to be a split between those who continue to do something for their birthday (go out for a meal, take the day off work, etc.) and those who just stop caring much about it and just go about their business like it was any other day of the year. So I'm curious where everyone here stands on the matter. Smile

I sorta fall into a middle ground I think. I didn't really do much for my birthday in the years prior to moving to the US, and only really started doing anything for it because @ShiraNoMai would do something for me or offer to take me somewhere. I'd never really book the day off work, and unless there's something I'd be doing on the day I doubt I'd book the day off at my current job because I'd lose out on pay. Basically what I do comes down to what those around me do; if no one really pitched to do anything I don't know if I'd care to do anything for myself. Errm
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I'd prefer to treat my birthday as a standard day but tend not to as my family usually wants to do something so I accept a meal out, usually not on the day but near or shared with my brother's, but not much more than that. Don't even want to hear the words "Happy Birthday" to me mainly because I hate it and dislike knowing the year's passed. Don't want presents anymore either, both for birthday and Christmas.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I'd prefer to treat my birthday as a standard day but tend not to as my family usually wants to do something so I accept a meal out, usually not on the day but near or shared with my brother's, but not much more than that. Don't even want to hear the words "Happy Birthday" to me mainly because I hate it and dislike knowing the year's passed. Don't want presents anymore either, both for birthday and Christmas.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Oct 12th, 2022, 09:50 AM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Don't even want to hear the words "Happy Birthday" to me mainly because I hate it and dislike knowing the year's passed. Don't want presents anymore either, both for birthday and Christmas.
Ah, now on that part I'm definitely different. While those around me is dependent on the celebratory action side of things, I still always like people wishing me a happy birthday. As for gifts, I don't expect to get a ton of stuff or anything that has to be expensive, but even just getting at least one thing makes me happy.

I guess really now thinking on it I celebrate my birthday by those around me because others doing stuff for me for that is a sign of caring which I like to see from people. If everyone forgot or didn't do/say anything I'd be sad that nobody cares about it and wouldn't do anything for myself to try and not remind myself of that in its absence. Errm

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Don't even want to hear the words "Happy Birthday" to me mainly because I hate it and dislike knowing the year's passed. Don't want presents anymore either, both for birthday and Christmas.
Ah, now on that part I'm definitely different. While those around me is dependent on the celebratory action side of things, I still always like people wishing me a happy birthday. As for gifts, I don't expect to get a ton of stuff or anything that has to be expensive, but even just getting at least one thing makes me happy.

I guess really now thinking on it I celebrate my birthday by those around me because others doing stuff for me for that is a sign of caring which I like to see from people. If everyone forgot or didn't do/say anything I'd be sad that nobody cares about it and wouldn't do anything for myself to try and not remind myself of that in its absence. Errm
WR91 Offline
Casual
XP: 4,670
Yes. I love my birthday. Each and every year, most of the world celebrates it with me (December 31st) too.
WR91 Offline
Casual
XP: 4,670
Yes. I love my birthday. Each and every year, most of the world celebrates it with me (December 31st) too.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,227
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 

Aww man, I'm sorry to hear that, dude. Would you rather us not mention it here either, in future? Sad 

I've always celebrated, and find it weird when I don't to some degree. There was one year I can think of in recent history that was quite possibly the most "whatever" birthday, but other than that, I enjoy being acknowledged and doing a thing for it in celebration. Smile
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,227 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 

Aww man, I'm sorry to hear that, dude. Would you rather us not mention it here either, in future? Sad 

I've always celebrated, and find it weird when I don't to some degree. There was one year I can think of in recent history that was quite possibly the most "whatever" birthday, but other than that, I enjoy being acknowledged and doing a thing for it in celebration. Smile
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,802
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
No, and I haven't celebrated by birthday since... I think I was 13 when I last had an actual, true birthday party. Definitely lost interest in celebrating my birthday in my later teens. After that many years of birthdays, it just got boring and stale and there's really no point in it any more. I don't mind if my family members/close friends get me presents, but I don't go out of my way to make any sort of big deal about my birthday and I just would rather spend the day by myself doing what I love the most (gaming).

I'm turning 33 in November and after that many years, I just don't see the appeal in throwing any kind of celebration anymore. Just another day in just another year.
2023 Platinum Goal: 3/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Sword of the Vagrant
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,802 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
No, and I haven't celebrated by birthday since... I think I was 13 when I last had an actual, true birthday party. Definitely lost interest in celebrating my birthday in my later teens. After that many years of birthdays, it just got boring and stale and there's really no point in it any more. I don't mind if my family members/close friends get me presents, but I don't go out of my way to make any sort of big deal about my birthday and I just would rather spend the day by myself doing what I love the most (gaming).

I'm turning 33 in November and after that many years, I just don't see the appeal in throwing any kind of celebration anymore. Just another day in just another year.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
For everyone who said they're rather indifferent about their birthdays currently, do you think you'd ever make a big deal at all about any milestones such as 40, 50, retirement age, etc. or no because you still wouldn't care and/or just wouldn't want to acknowledge such high ages?

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
For everyone who said they're rather indifferent about their birthdays currently, do you think you'd ever make a big deal at all about any milestones such as 40, 50, retirement age, etc. or no because you still wouldn't care and/or just wouldn't want to acknowledge such high ages?
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
@ShiraNoMai : I should've mentioned I actually don't mind Happy Birthday in text form, just I don't like it said out loud to me on the day. XD So in a way I allow some form of celebration.

@Moonface : Nah don't think I would want any milestone celebrations either. I've already passed 30, and if it weren't for Covid screwing everything up and if I had...perhaps met someone I would consider for that, because at least 30 still sounds somewhat young compared to 40+. 40, that's too close to, or in some respects IS middle-aged. ROFL
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
@ShiraNoMai : I should've mentioned I actually don't mind Happy Birthday in text form, just I don't like it said out loud to me on the day. XD So in a way I allow some form of celebration.

@Moonface : Nah don't think I would want any milestone celebrations either. I've already passed 30, and if it weren't for Covid screwing everything up and if I had...perhaps met someone I would consider for that, because at least 30 still sounds somewhat young compared to 40+. 40, that's too close to, or in some respects IS middle-aged. ROFL
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,802
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
(Oct 17th, 2022, 09:35 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Nah, still wouldn't. Like I said in my previous post, after 30+ years of birthdays, it's just become another ordinary day. The age I turn would not change my outlook on that at all.
2023 Platinum Goal: 3/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Sword of the Vagrant
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,802 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
(Oct 17th, 2022, 09:35 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Nah, still wouldn't. Like I said in my previous post, after 30+ years of birthdays, it's just become another ordinary day. The age I turn would not change my outlook on that at all.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, I dunno if I would want to celebrate a particular milestone ahead of me. I think I'd rather just continue with how my birthdays are treated now, since I feel any milestone after like...21 is just a "You're getting old" milestone whereas everything 21 and under is actually reaching a new stage in life or being given more freedoms like drinking, voting, becoming an adult, etc. You don't really get any actual life changes for 21+ besides retirement but I doubt I would ever 100% retire from working anyway because I like the social aspect it offers. Plus I would like to hit the ability to retire before reaching retirement age because that feels like an accomplishment over "Congrats, you worked so long you're now too old and you get to try and enjoy the money you have with a decrepit body that can't do half the stuff you could've done with the money when you were younger". ROFL

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, I dunno if I would want to celebrate a particular milestone ahead of me. I think I'd rather just continue with how my birthdays are treated now, since I feel any milestone after like...21 is just a "You're getting old" milestone whereas everything 21 and under is actually reaching a new stage in life or being given more freedoms like drinking, voting, becoming an adult, etc. You don't really get any actual life changes for 21+ besides retirement but I doubt I would ever 100% retire from working anyway because I like the social aspect it offers. Plus I would like to hit the ability to retire before reaching retirement age because that feels like an accomplishment over "Congrats, you worked so long you're now too old and you get to try and enjoy the money you have with a decrepit body that can't do half the stuff you could've done with the money when you were younger". ROFL
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,227
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I almost feel like celebrating reaching age milestones later in life feels like a morbid/pessimistic kind of approach. Like, hey congrats on making it through all these years on this hellscape. Look at that, 40 years, and you're still here! Even after all of life's bullshit thrown at you! ROFL
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,227 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I almost feel like celebrating reaching age milestones later in life feels like a morbid/pessimistic kind of approach. Like, hey congrats on making it through all these years on this hellscape. Look at that, 40 years, and you're still here! Even after all of life's bullshit thrown at you! ROFL
popopdc Offline
Newcomer
XP: 2,920
I mean I try to celebrate with family and friends via a dinner gathering and whatnot but otherwise it's pretty normal. If my birthday falls on a work day I still work and hold the celebration for the weekend. I've never been one to get overly excited about birthdays to be honest.
popopdc Offline
Newcomer
XP: 2,920
I mean I try to celebrate with family and friends via a dinner gathering and whatnot but otherwise it's pretty normal. If my birthday falls on a work day I still work and hold the celebration for the weekend. I've never been one to get overly excited about birthdays to be honest.
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,960
Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
Yes, I do... it doesn't have quite the same magic as it did before, but I still enjoy it anyway Smile .
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,960 Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
Yes, I do... it doesn't have quite the same magic as it did before, but I still enjoy it anyway Smile .