Do You Replay a Game to Prepare for its Sequel?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,601
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
With God of War Ragnarök around the corner, a streamer I watch has been replaying God of War 2018 in preparation for Ragnarök's release. I don't think I'll be doing that myself, but I know I have done that in the past for games I just really love or want to get a refresher on the story of before I play the sequel. I can't remember many since I haven't done it in a long time, but I do know I've done it with the Ratchet & Clank Future quadrilogy before I played Rift Apart (part of the incentive there was also that I had never played Into The Nexus).

If I lack the time or interest to replay a game in preparation for its sequel, I'll usually just quickly brush up on the story via Wikipedia if I know the sequel will directly continue the story at all.

So how about you guys? Do you ever replay a game to get ready for its sequel or do you just play sequels without worrying too much about when you last played the previous game or how much you remember about it?
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,601 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
With God of War Ragnarök around the corner, a streamer I watch has been replaying God of War 2018 in preparation for Ragnarök's release. I don't think I'll be doing that myself, but I know I have done that in the past for games I just really love or want to get a refresher on the story of before I play the sequel. I can't remember many since I haven't done it in a long time, but I do know I've done it with the Ratchet & Clank Future quadrilogy before I played Rift Apart (part of the incentive there was also that I had never played Into The Nexus).

If I lack the time or interest to replay a game in preparation for its sequel, I'll usually just quickly brush up on the story via Wikipedia if I know the sequel will directly continue the story at all.

So how about you guys? Do you ever replay a game to get ready for its sequel or do you just play sequels without worrying too much about when you last played the previous game or how much you remember about it?
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,231
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
There's a high chance I'd have never played or beaten the previous entry, so usually I make it a goal to actually not play the newer game until I have beaten the prior ones (obvious for games that have continuous stories, but this includes those without).
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,231 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
There's a high chance I'd have never played or beaten the previous entry, so usually I make it a goal to actually not play the newer game until I have beaten the prior ones (obvious for games that have continuous stories, but this includes those without).
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Don't think I do, or at least not usually. I just try and remember how I played in the last game and just get stuck in the new game, but I might have done so for some titles with a sequel. Can't name them, I just can't remember. I am considering playing Tekken 7 and/or Tekken Tag 2 when Tekken 8 is about to release though, but then again I might just not. XD

I still haven't started them yet, but I didn't play any Mario Party/Strikers games when I got Superstarts and Battle League respectively, nor any Mario Kart game when I got Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. May have played SSB3DS when I got Ultimate, but again I can't remember.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Don't think I do, or at least not usually. I just try and remember how I played in the last game and just get stuck in the new game, but I might have done so for some titles with a sequel. Can't name them, I just can't remember. I am considering playing Tekken 7 and/or Tekken Tag 2 when Tekken 8 is about to release though, but then again I might just not. XD

I still haven't started them yet, but I didn't play any Mario Party/Strikers games when I got Superstarts and Battle League respectively, nor any Mario Kart game when I got Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. May have played SSB3DS when I got Ultimate, but again I can't remember.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,601
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Oct 22nd, 2022, 10:31 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Mmm, to be fair replaying games like those is if you want to just get familiar with mechanics again for the most part I think. That said, I will sometimes play a lot more of a game that has replayability to it like those when a new one is coming out soon just to get a fix while I have to wait for the release, rather than to refresh myself on anything.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,601 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Oct 22nd, 2022, 10:31 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Mmm, to be fair replaying games like those is if you want to just get familiar with mechanics again for the most part I think. That said, I will sometimes play a lot more of a game that has replayability to it like those when a new one is coming out soon just to get a fix while I have to wait for the release, rather than to refresh myself on anything.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do You View Smash Bros. as a Party Game or a Fighting Game? Moonface 5 794 Aug 2nd, 2023, 03:38 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  What's Something a Game Did Better Than Its Sequel? Moonface 6 1,599 Jul 27th, 2022, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Game creator Content ID'd on his own game Maniakkid25 4 4,927 Dec 7th, 2019, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Moonface