Game Manuals
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,665
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
So I just saw Kotaku reporting that every U.S. PS2 game manual has been scanned in 4K and uploaded online, and was going to share it in General Game Chat but figured since game manuals are basically non-existent nowadays, it'd be nice to just have a thread to talk about these things as a whole instead. ^_^

I find it crazy that someone managed to get a copy of every PS2 game manual to make scans of them. I'd have thought this would have been a group effort since that's so many games and I would expect a number of them to be really hard to find, but from what I can tell that doesn't seem to be the case. The Kotaku article also mentions a SNES manual archive too but I didn't look into it at all yet to know how that was compiled. Anyway, I might check out some of the manuals of games I own to see if there's any notable differences I can find in the US manuals compared to the UK ones or if they're practically the same except for some changes to spellings or word choices due to the differences in US and UK English.

So along with that, does anyone have any fond memories of game manuals as a whole or of particular ones? Do you miss seeing them in game cases, or do you feel indifferent about that? Smile
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,665 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
So I just saw Kotaku reporting that every U.S. PS2 game manual has been scanned in 4K and uploaded online, and was going to share it in General Game Chat but figured since game manuals are basically non-existent nowadays, it'd be nice to just have a thread to talk about these things as a whole instead. ^_^

I find it crazy that someone managed to get a copy of every PS2 game manual to make scans of them. I'd have thought this would have been a group effort since that's so many games and I would expect a number of them to be really hard to find, but from what I can tell that doesn't seem to be the case. The Kotaku article also mentions a SNES manual archive too but I didn't look into it at all yet to know how that was compiled. Anyway, I might check out some of the manuals of games I own to see if there's any notable differences I can find in the US manuals compared to the UK ones or if they're practically the same except for some changes to spellings or word choices due to the differences in US and UK English.

So along with that, does anyone have any fond memories of game manuals as a whole or of particular ones? Do you miss seeing them in game cases, or do you feel indifferent about that? Smile
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,129
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Yeah, I miss reading character bios manuals usually have. Tekken always had it up until T5 (I believe it was then), once PS3 came in, manuals were gone.

Also just to get the gist of the controls before playing for the first time, or if not played for a long while, reading a manual to refresh was good to have. Or getting a bit of backstory before the game's plot begins, I think some manuals had that too.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,129 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Yeah, I miss reading character bios manuals usually have. Tekken always had it up until T5 (I believe it was then), once PS3 came in, manuals were gone.

Also just to get the gist of the controls before playing for the first time, or if not played for a long while, reading a manual to refresh was good to have. Or getting a bit of backstory before the game's plot begins, I think some manuals had that too.
Frank Offline
The "Golden" One
Favourite Platform(s)
Nintendo
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 4,345
Metroid Mario Kart Super Mario Bros. 
My memories of the manuals growing up, was that I typically read them on the car ride home.

Sometimes I would sneak some to school and read them during class :-P
[Image: wrdxyKE.png]

Frank Offline
The "Golden" One
Favourite Platform(s)
Nintendo
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 4,345 Metroid Mario Kart Super Mario Bros. 
My memories of the manuals growing up, was that I typically read them on the car ride home.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,665
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Oct 25th, 2022, 08:32 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:

Nah, Tekken 6 had a manual: https://manuall.co.uk/sony-playstation-3-tekken-6/
It was the PS4 era that started phasing them out, where it originally went down to just a slip of paper and now you don't get anything in the boxes except a disc. You can see how PS3 games gradually began to put more and more tutorial content and stuff into the actual game which negated the need for manuals, and was likely put in because digital games having to require the player to switch out of the game to their digital manual was tedious. Nowadays there's not much a manual could contain that the game can't just put in itself, or just got moved over to physical guides when it comes to lore dumps and such.

(Oct 29th, 2022, 03:00 AM)Frank Wrote:

If anyone never read a game manual on the car ride home from buying a new game they didn't live. Whistle
Can't say I ever snuck one to school though, especially since I wouldn't trust someone not stealing it from my bag when I'm not looking. Errm

It's also interesting to see how game manuals started to use colour when PS2 hit. All of the PS1 manuals I ever had were black and white, but looking through some of the manuals of PS2 games I owned on that archive site I have yet to find one that isn't colour. Funny how they were b/w to keep them cheap, then colour which makes them more expensive to produce, to gradually phasing out entirely. It gives me the impression manuals just went away because better ways were found to deliver the content in them rather than a cost measure, considering the production got better with time rather than worse. XD
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,665 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Oct 25th, 2022, 08:32 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:

Nah, Tekken 6 had a manual: https://manuall.co.uk/sony-playstation-3-tekken-6/
It was the PS4 era that started phasing them out, where it originally went down to just a slip of paper and now you don't get anything in the boxes except a disc. You can see how PS3 games gradually began to put more and more tutorial content and stuff into the actual game which negated the need for manuals, and was likely put in because digital games having to require the player to switch out of the game to their digital manual was tedious. Nowadays there's not much a manual could contain that the game can't just put in itself, or just got moved over to physical guides when it comes to lore dumps and such.

(Oct 29th, 2022, 03:00 AM)Frank Wrote:

If anyone never read a game manual on the car ride home from buying a new game they didn't live. Whistle
Can't say I ever snuck one to school though, especially since I wouldn't trust someone not stealing it from my bag when I'm not looking. Errm

It's also interesting to see how game manuals started to use colour when PS2 hit. All of the PS1 manuals I ever had were black and white, but looking through some of the manuals of PS2 games I owned on that archive site I have yet to find one that isn't colour. Funny how they were b/w to keep them cheap, then colour which makes them more expensive to produce, to gradually phasing out entirely. It gives me the impression manuals just went away because better ways were found to deliver the content in them rather than a cost measure, considering the production got better with time rather than worse. XD

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do You View Smash Bros. as a Party Game or a Fighting Game? Moonface 5 806 Aug 2nd, 2023, 03:38 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  Game creator Content ID'd on his own game Maniakkid25 4 4,942 Dec 7th, 2019, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Moonface