What is the best book-to-video game adaptation?
popopdc Offline
Newcomer
XP: 2,920
What are some of the best video games that are based on books or set in universes from books? What made them successful at capturing those books and their worlds?
popopdc Offline
Newcomer
XP: 2,920
What are some of the best video games that are based on books or set in universes from books? What made them successful at capturing those books and their worlds?
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
The few I can think of off the top of my head are the Harry Potter games (mainline and LEGO variety) and Lord of the Rings (mainline and LEGO, as well).

Both of those I feel crutch a lot on the movie adaptations (because they were effectively movie games) but from what I gathered, they did expand upon a few things to open it up, especially for things like side quests and fleshing out fights/plotlines for the sake of action/adventure segments.

I can say that the reverse is actually quite neat. Like the Halo book series, for instance, is supposed to be really cool.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
The few I can think of off the top of my head are the Harry Potter games (mainline and LEGO variety) and Lord of the Rings (mainline and LEGO, as well).

Both of those I feel crutch a lot on the movie adaptations (because they were effectively movie games) but from what I gathered, they did expand upon a few things to open it up, especially for things like side quests and fleshing out fights/plotlines for the sake of action/adventure segments.

I can say that the reverse is actually quite neat. Like the Halo book series, for instance, is supposed to be really cool.
Maniakkid25 Online
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
I'm gonna nominate Megami Tensei. Yes, the Persona series and all that started as an adaptation of the book Digital Devil Story: Goddess Reincarnation ("Megami Tensei" literally translates to "Goddess Reincarnation", hence the name of the series) on NES, making it among the oldest continuously updated game series of all time, and the third of the Big Three of JRPGs (the other two being Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest; yes, it's actually that prestigious in its native nation of Japan). Sadly, the books have never officially been released outside of Japan; these are very 1980's pulp fiction type books, and to say that the appeal is niche is understating it. There is a fan translation of the first and second book (it's a three book series), but currently no translation exists for the third as far as I know.
Maniakkid25 Online
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,641 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
I'm gonna nominate Megami Tensei. Yes, the Persona series and all that started as an adaptation of the book Digital Devil Story: Goddess Reincarnation ("Megami Tensei" literally translates to "Goddess Reincarnation", hence the name of the series) on NES, making it among the oldest continuously updated game series of all time, and the third of the Big Three of JRPGs (the other two being Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest; yes, it's actually that prestigious in its native nation of Japan). Sadly, the books have never officially been released outside of Japan; these are very 1980's pulp fiction type books, and to say that the appeal is niche is understating it. There is a fan translation of the first and second book (it's a three book series), but currently no translation exists for the third as far as I know.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,168
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Nov 25th, 2022, 10:03 PM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

In the case of Harry Potter, I feel like that although they were released to coincide with the movies, they weren't straight-up clones of the movies and would add a lot of original content in until about halfway through the overall series. They weren't like say, the Ratchet & Clank Reimagining, which was blatantly just taking the movie and turning it into playable levels with little scope beyond that.

I've never played them, but the best ones are probably any like The Witcher or Metro and such where a game was made based on/inspired by the books without being tethered to a movie adaptation. I find if a movie adaptation is involved alongside the game adaptation that there's a high chance for the game to be neutered down to what the movie contains in a likely two hour run time blown out to 8+ hours, rather than the game doing its own way of telling the same story of the book.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,168 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Nov 25th, 2022, 10:03 PM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

In the case of Harry Potter, I feel like that although they were released to coincide with the movies, they weren't straight-up clones of the movies and would add a lot of original content in until about halfway through the overall series. They weren't like say, the Ratchet & Clank Reimagining, which was blatantly just taking the movie and turning it into playable levels with little scope beyond that.

I've never played them, but the best ones are probably any like The Witcher or Metro and such where a game was made based on/inspired by the books without being tethered to a movie adaptation. I find if a movie adaptation is involved alongside the game adaptation that there's a high chance for the game to be neutered down to what the movie contains in a likely two hour run time blown out to 8+ hours, rather than the game doing its own way of telling the same story of the book.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Personal Video Game of Each Year List WR91 35 13,308 Oct 18th, 2023, 11:27 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  SAG-AFTRA Approves Video Game Strike Authorization Moonface 6 705 Sep 29th, 2023, 09:28 PM
  Do You View Smash Bros. as a Party Game or a Fighting Game? Moonface 5 730 Aug 2nd, 2023, 03:38 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  Guess The Video-Game Moonface 248 113,183 Jun 17th, 2023, 07:27 PM
  How Video Games Will Look in 2021 Moonface 3 2,482 Apr 7th, 2021, 05:31 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai