Are you allergic to any animals?
Nebulous Offline
Hakuna Matata
XP: 2,847

If so, which ones and how does your body react when you meet them?
Nebulous Offline
Hakuna Matata

If so, which ones and how does your body react when you meet them?
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I'm currently not allergic to any animal, but I have not come across every animal in the world, so perhaps there could be one that may affect me in a bad way out there somewhere. I suppose I'll know once that happens but I'm not much of a traveller, so chances are slim in my coming into contact with that but still possible, unless I stay holed up in the UK for the rest of my life...heck the animal could be here too. XD
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I'm currently not allergic to any animal, but I have not come across every animal in the world, so perhaps there could be one that may affect me in a bad way out there somewhere. I suppose I'll know once that happens but I'm not much of a traveller, so chances are slim in my coming into contact with that but still possible, unless I stay holed up in the UK for the rest of my life...heck the animal could be here too. XD
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,552
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Not that I'm aware of. The worst I get is my skin getting itchy from a cat scratch but I think that's just a normal thing everyone experiences with that.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,552 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Not that I'm aware of. The worst I get is my skin getting itchy from a cat scratch but I think that's just a normal thing everyone experiences with that.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,227
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
There's a chance I may be allergic to bees. My mother is highly allergic, but I've yet to be stung to be able to tell if I've inherited that.

Other than that, I'm free of other animals as far as I can tell. Specific pet dander can bother my nose sometimes, but it's nothing full blown. I'm grateful I didn't get to inherit a pet allergy from my great aunt (though the genealogy in that would have to be so unfortunately unlucky for me to get that) because she literally can't even be in the same room as a cat. I couldn't live without my fur babies  Cry
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,227 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
There's a chance I may be allergic to bees. My mother is highly allergic, but I've yet to be stung to be able to tell if I've inherited that.

Other than that, I'm free of other animals as far as I can tell. Specific pet dander can bother my nose sometimes, but it's nothing full blown. I'm grateful I didn't get to inherit a pet allergy from my great aunt (though the genealogy in that would have to be so unfortunately unlucky for me to get that) because she literally can't even be in the same room as a cat. I couldn't live without my fur babies  Cry
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,798
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
I used to have an extremely bad allergy to cats when I was a kid, but thankfully at some point in life it went away. For the longest time I couldn't even think about owning a cat due to it (I couldn't be around a cat for more than a minute or two before my symptoms got so bad I had to take medicine), which was really hard as a kid because I adored cats. Thankfully it's not something I have to worry about any more and I can enjoy as much time with my four buttheads as much as I want.
2023 Platinum Goal: 3/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Sword of the Vagrant
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,798 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
I used to have an extremely bad allergy to cats when I was a kid, but thankfully at some point in life it went away. For the longest time I couldn't even think about owning a cat due to it (I couldn't be around a cat for more than a minute or two before my symptoms got so bad I had to take medicine), which was really hard as a kid because I adored cats. Thankfully it's not something I have to worry about any more and I can enjoy as much time with my four buttheads as much as I want.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Yeah my brother used to have some problems being around cats, I think if his skin touched them too much he'd get a rash (hands might've been OK because of frequent hand washing or at least palm side was fine), or he'd sneeze around them a bit but wasn't too hindering, as he did spend some time with our past three cats. He has one himself now he's not bad with.  I can't imagine myself having a bad reaction to cats too, no that cannot happen!  D= So glad both DL got over his and Shira avoided her great aunt's condition.  =3
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Yeah my brother used to have some problems being around cats, I think if his skin touched them too much he'd get a rash (hands might've been OK because of frequent hand washing or at least palm side was fine), or he'd sneeze around them a bit but wasn't too hindering, as he did spend some time with our past three cats. He has one himself now he's not bad with.  I can't imagine myself having a bad reaction to cats too, no that cannot happen!  D= So glad both DL got over his and Shira avoided her great aunt's condition.  =3
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
After the party I hosted today, apparently a lot of people have issues with cats. I think out of the 6 people who came over, half of them had issues with cats and there were others who didn't come who have issues with cats too. Yet oddly none of them have problems with dogs, which I find weird only because with how many people have a cat issue, you'd think at least one would have a dog issue but seemingly no. Unsure

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
After the party I hosted today, apparently a lot of people have issues with cats. I think out of the 6 people who came over, half of them had issues with cats and there were others who didn't come who have issues with cats too. Yet oddly none of them have problems with dogs, which I find weird only because with how many people have a cat issue, you'd think at least one would have a dog issue but seemingly no. Unsure
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
So, having been curious myself, I was sure there was a scientific answer for that question: Why is it that cat allergies are more common than dog ones?

Pet allergies occur in about 1 in 10 folk, with cat allergies being twice as common as dog allergies. In kids, that's 1 in 7 (aged 6-19) allergic to cats. Of course, like any allergy, you can grow out of them (or grow into them). But yeah, why cats over dogs? No, it's not the fur. It's actually a cat-specific protein called "Fel d 1". All cats have it, and its the size and shape of this protein that makes it a tricky one.

LiveScience.com Wrote:
The protein enters the air on bits of cat hair and skin, and it is so small and light — it's about one-tenth the size of a dust allergen — that it can stay airborne for hours. "Dog allergens don't stay airborne the same way cat allergens do. The particle size is just right to breathe deep into your lungs," Larché said.

The Fel d 1 protein is also incredibly sticky, readily glomming onto human skin and clothes and remaining there, making it ubiquitous in the environment. It has been found in places where there are no cats — classrooms, doctors' offices, even the Arctic, Larché said. Source

It's also apparently more prevalent in male cats, particularly so if they're unneutered, due to the fact that testosterone increases glandular secretions (where these proteins secrete from).
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
So, having been curious myself, I was sure there was a scientific answer for that question: Why is it that cat allergies are more common than dog ones?

Pet allergies occur in about 1 in 10 folk, with cat allergies being twice as common as dog allergies. In kids, that's 1 in 7 (aged 6-19) allergic to cats. Of course, like any allergy, you can grow out of them (or grow into them). But yeah, why cats over dogs? No, it's not the fur. It's actually a cat-specific protein called "Fel d 1". All cats have it, and its the size and shape of this protein that makes it a tricky one.

LiveScience.com Wrote:
The protein enters the air on bits of cat hair and skin, and it is so small and light — it's about one-tenth the size of a dust allergen — that it can stay airborne for hours. "Dog allergens don't stay airborne the same way cat allergens do. The particle size is just right to breathe deep into your lungs," Larché said.

The Fel d 1 protein is also incredibly sticky, readily glomming onto human skin and clothes and remaining there, making it ubiquitous in the environment. It has been found in places where there are no cats — classrooms, doctors' offices, even the Arctic, Larché said. Source

It's also apparently more prevalent in male cats, particularly so if they're unneutered, due to the fact that testosterone increases glandular secretions (where these proteins secrete from).
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@ShiraNoMai: Interesting. Given the number of people with cat allergies and how I never hear of any of them being able to alleviate the problem with regular allergy medicine, it makes me wonder if there's actually a drug out there to properly deal with this or if people just don't bother to buy/use it. Hmm

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@ShiraNoMai: Interesting. Given the number of people with cat allergies and how I never hear of any of them being able to alleviate the problem with regular allergy medicine, it makes me wonder if there's actually a drug out there to properly deal with this or if people just don't bother to buy/use it. Hmm
Heatman Offline
Newcomer
XP: 326
Yes of course, I'm allergic to snakes. I can't seem to understand how a human being can have a snake as a pet. Snake that's capable of killing you at any moment unless they have a way of getting rid of its poisons.
Heatman Offline
Newcomer
XP: 326
Yes of course, I'm allergic to snakes. I can't seem to understand how a human being can have a snake as a pet. Snake that's capable of killing you at any moment unless they have a way of getting rid of its poisons.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
I mean, to be fair, not all snakes are venomous, and even the ones that do have venom are not always problematic (deadly, if you will). You'd also have to be antagonizing it to cause it to want to strike.

Being allergic to them stinks, though. Gotta be careful walking in fields of grass. Sad
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
I mean, to be fair, not all snakes are venomous, and even the ones that do have venom are not always problematic (deadly, if you will). You'd also have to be antagonizing it to cause it to want to strike.

Being allergic to them stinks, though. Gotta be careful walking in fields of grass. Sad
Nebulous Offline
Hakuna Matata
I am not but I feel for those who are *hugs*
Nebulous Offline
Hakuna Matata
I am not but I feel for those who are *hugs*