What Should The Retirement Age Be?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,667
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I just saw that France is protesting (as they are known to often do) in response to the government wanting to raise the minimum retirement age from 62 to 64. While not as high as other countries, I don't blame them for disliking this proposal considering that the current highest retirement age in the world wasn't likely always 67. Better yet, apparently the lowest age is 52, which is a huge gap from the highest.

Of course I get that the age has gone up as life expectancy has increased throughout human history, but at the same time there has to be a point where people shouldn't be expected to continue working. I can't and don't want to even imagine myself working when I'm nearly 70, and although nothing stops me from retiring earlier except feasibility, it sucks that unless that safety net is there to retire early you're shit out of luck.

To me at a maximum it shouldn't be over 65 but I'd rather it cap at 60. What's the point in having money for retirement if when you retire you're too old to do a lot of things, especially if like the US you get very little vacation time to do certain things when you're younger. You shouldn't have to work for so long that your last years can't be lived to their fullest because of physical limits. Errm

What do you folks think?
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,667 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I just saw that France is protesting (as they are known to often do) in response to the government wanting to raise the minimum retirement age from 62 to 64. While not as high as other countries, I don't blame them for disliking this proposal considering that the current highest retirement age in the world wasn't likely always 67. Better yet, apparently the lowest age is 52, which is a huge gap from the highest.

Of course I get that the age has gone up as life expectancy has increased throughout human history, but at the same time there has to be a point where people shouldn't be expected to continue working. I can't and don't want to even imagine myself working when I'm nearly 70, and although nothing stops me from retiring earlier except feasibility, it sucks that unless that safety net is there to retire early you're shit out of luck.

To me at a maximum it shouldn't be over 65 but I'd rather it cap at 60. What's the point in having money for retirement if when you retire you're too old to do a lot of things, especially if like the US you get very little vacation time to do certain things when you're younger. You shouldn't have to work for so long that your last years can't be lived to their fullest because of physical limits. Errm

What do you folks think?
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,100
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
The cap should be 60 or around that, 65-67 or more is a joke. Hell 60 is also because it's towards the side of your life that you can't do as much, so what can you do then to enjoy yourself? I know not all retired people do this but I just imagine them not taking a risk because of their age in case they get injured, so they have to be careful and cautious and...well it's just not young enough anymore.

Then again I can't say much just sitting around on my time off, although if it was Summer I'd be willing to do a lot more than in Winter, plus I can see myself still working up to the current retirement age or longer not that I want to but because I may need the money still coming in then.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,100 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
The cap should be 60 or around that, 65-67 or more is a joke. Hell 60 is also because it's towards the side of your life that you can't do as much, so what can you do then to enjoy yourself? I know not all retired people do this but I just imagine them not taking a risk because of their age in case they get injured, so they have to be careful and cautious and...well it's just not young enough anymore.

Then again I can't say much just sitting around on my time off, although if it was Summer I'd be willing to do a lot more than in Winter, plus I can see myself still working up to the current retirement age or longer not that I want to but because I may need the money still coming in then.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
This tweet (shocker shocker: it's Fox News) I saw the other day just made me figuratively wretch inside

There is a study in there that they're basing this off of but holy shit the way its spun. Keep the fucking wheels a-churnin' til you can't churn no more. Fuck capitalism.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
This tweet (shocker shocker: it's Fox News) I saw the other day just made me figuratively wretch inside

There is a study in there that they're basing this off of but holy shit the way its spun. Keep the fucking wheels a-churnin' til you can't churn no more. Fuck capitalism.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 21st, 2023, 12:12 AM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
I know not all retired people do this but I just imagine them not taking a risk because of their age in case they get injured, so they have to be careful and cautious and...well it's just not young enough anymore.
If not for the risk of injury, there's also cases where you could have a health condition at that age which prevents you from doing things such as taking a flight, which means even if you just wanted to go somewhere to relax and see the sights your options would be severely limited. Eh

(Jan 21st, 2023, 06:11 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

I haven't read it yet (and not sure I want to...) but I'm not surprised to see this, considering there's also been an uptick in articles bitching about Gen Z not having as many kids and stuff which they say will lead to a worker shortage and isn't acceptable. I swear the fat cats of the world would bring back child labor if they could legally do it. Errm

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 21st, 2023, 12:12 AM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
I know not all retired people do this but I just imagine them not taking a risk because of their age in case they get injured, so they have to be careful and cautious and...well it's just not young enough anymore.
If not for the risk of injury, there's also cases where you could have a health condition at that age which prevents you from doing things such as taking a flight, which means even if you just wanted to go somewhere to relax and see the sights your options would be severely limited. Eh

(Jan 21st, 2023, 06:11 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

I haven't read it yet (and not sure I want to...) but I'm not surprised to see this, considering there's also been an uptick in articles bitching about Gen Z not having as many kids and stuff which they say will lead to a worker shortage and isn't acceptable. I swear the fat cats of the world would bring back child labor if they could legally do it. Errm
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
(Jan 21st, 2023, 08:51 PM)Moonface Wrote:
...I swear the fat cats of the world would bring back child labor if they could legally do it. Errm

...  Sweat

[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,193 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
...I swear the fat cats of the world would bring back child labor if they could legally do it. Errm

...  Sweat

Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,100
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Tsk. Welp. I really do not want to click on that video. Bet the kids weren't earning anything or very very little on top of that too. Frickin' hell.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,100 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Tsk. Welp. I really do not want to click on that video. Bet the kids weren't earning anything or very very little on top of that too. Frickin' hell.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I shouldn't be surprised by that video, but it really just proves my point in a very sad way. The fact that the company outright admitted to hiring them but says it was due to "rogue individuals who presented fake identification" when a lot of the kids were 13/14 is atrocious and a pathetic excuse that shouldn't have any weight because no way would people that age look remotely close to being an adult. Of course I expect any consequences to PSSI to be practically worth the cost of being caught with this, just like most companies never get punished in a way that makes what they did not worth the price.

I also find it insane that this first arose suspicion in 2016, and took seven years to reach this point?! Seven years is far too long to take trying to find out if a company is hiring child labor. Errm

As for what they were paid @Mr EliteL, the video makes no mention of it. I'd be interested to see if these kids did actually get paid the same wage as employees who were actually adults, because if not that would just further prove the company is full of shit and knew who they were hiring if there's a pay discrepancy.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I shouldn't be surprised by that video, but it really just proves my point in a very sad way. The fact that the company outright admitted to hiring them but says it was due to "rogue individuals who presented fake identification" when a lot of the kids were 13/14 is atrocious and a pathetic excuse that shouldn't have any weight because no way would people that age look remotely close to being an adult. Of course I expect any consequences to PSSI to be practically worth the cost of being caught with this, just like most companies never get punished in a way that makes what they did not worth the price.

I also find it insane that this first arose suspicion in 2016, and took seven years to reach this point?! Seven years is far too long to take trying to find out if a company is hiring child labor. Errm

As for what they were paid @Mr EliteL, the video makes no mention of it. I'd be interested to see if these kids did actually get paid the same wage as employees who were actually adults, because if not that would just further prove the company is full of shit and knew who they were hiring if there's a pay discrepancy.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 24th, 2023, 03:46 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

...  Sweat

While looking for updates about the Turkey/Syria earthquakes, I saw this article that the company involved with this story has been fined $1.5 million, which is apparently the maximum as the penalty per person can not exceed $15,000 each: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-64683265

That means the total number of minors employed by the company was at least 100, and I love some of the bullshit this company is saying they did or will do, such as providing "additional training" and plans "to make additional improvements to enforce our prohibition of employing anyone under the age of 18". Sorry but exactly what training does there need to be to know you're hiring people as young as 13 and that they're not actually 18? I could understand it for say, 16-17 year old's slipping through, but if you need to be trained to spot a 13 year old you shouldn't even be in a position to be hiring anyone. No one at 13 is passing for an 18 year old. Errm
I think what's really bad is seeing the article mention that there were "800 cases of child labour violations involving nearly 4,000 minors" just in 2022 in the US. Now granted, those violations can include someone old enough to work working hours beyond what they're supposed to, which isn't as bad as hiring people 5 years under the minimum age for the job, but it really does just go to show how much exploitation there would really be if no company was legally prevented from doing it. Meh

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jan 24th, 2023, 03:46 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

...  Sweat

While looking for updates about the Turkey/Syria earthquakes, I saw this article that the company involved with this story has been fined $1.5 million, which is apparently the maximum as the penalty per person can not exceed $15,000 each: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-64683265

That means the total number of minors employed by the company was at least 100, and I love some of the bullshit this company is saying they did or will do, such as providing "additional training" and plans "to make additional improvements to enforce our prohibition of employing anyone under the age of 18". Sorry but exactly what training does there need to be to know you're hiring people as young as 13 and that they're not actually 18? I could understand it for say, 16-17 year old's slipping through, but if you need to be trained to spot a 13 year old you shouldn't even be in a position to be hiring anyone. No one at 13 is passing for an 18 year old. Errm
I think what's really bad is seeing the article mention that there were "800 cases of child labour violations involving nearly 4,000 minors" just in 2022 in the US. Now granted, those violations can include someone old enough to work working hours beyond what they're supposed to, which isn't as bad as hiring people 5 years under the minimum age for the job, but it really does just go to show how much exploitation there would really be if no company was legally prevented from doing it. Meh
WR91 Offline
Casual
XP: 4,670
I think the retirement age should be 60.

After that age, I believe you should just get to enjoy your life with little to no worries.
WR91 Offline
Casual
XP: 4,670
I think the retirement age should be 60.

After that age, I believe you should just get to enjoy your life with little to no worries.