Poll: Will Games Go Above $70 Eventually?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
50.00%
4 50.00%
No
0%
0 0%
I Hope Not
50.00%
4 50.00%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Will Games Go Above $70 Eventually?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,667
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Back at the start of the current generation of consoles, I asked everyone if they would be willing to pay $70 for games which since then has now become the standard cost of most AAA games from all of the major publishers.

My question to you all now is do you think that $70 will remain the standard for a long time much like how $60 did, or do you think now that the band-aid has been ripped off that games will surpass the $70 mark sooner than later? If you do think the price will eventually go up again, what do you think it would go to or perhaps even max out at as the standard that will never be surpassed?

Personally I hope games don't go up in price any more than $70, especially since I've had more disappointments with games since paying $70 for them compared to when they were $60 to the point I'm not currently willing to buy any game at launch until I know for certain it isn't going to drop the ball somewhere during the experience (something I'm glad I did for Star Wars Jedi: Survivor after what I've seen of it). I also doubt they would go up further just because I think it'll push more players to waiting for price drops or pirating the games, unless the price increase happens a few generations from now where it might be easier to slide it in compared to trying to do a price increase within the next decade when this recent one is still going to be really fresh and such.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,667 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Back at the start of the current generation of consoles, I asked everyone if they would be willing to pay $70 for games which since then has now become the standard cost of most AAA games from all of the major publishers.

My question to you all now is do you think that $70 will remain the standard for a long time much like how $60 did, or do you think now that the band-aid has been ripped off that games will surpass the $70 mark sooner than later? If you do think the price will eventually go up again, what do you think it would go to or perhaps even max out at as the standard that will never be surpassed?

Personally I hope games don't go up in price any more than $70, especially since I've had more disappointments with games since paying $70 for them compared to when they were $60 to the point I'm not currently willing to buy any game at launch until I know for certain it isn't going to drop the ball somewhere during the experience (something I'm glad I did for Star Wars Jedi: Survivor after what I've seen of it). I also doubt they would go up further just because I think it'll push more players to waiting for price drops or pirating the games, unless the price increase happens a few generations from now where it might be easier to slide it in compared to trying to do a price increase within the next decade when this recent one is still going to be really fresh and such.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Princess Peach Showtime {PS5] FF7: Rebirth [PC] Snacko
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,666
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I technically did buy TotK due to my buying the Nintendo Switch Game vouchers. I saved back enough for it and ended up with Skyward Sword and reserved LoZ: TotK both of which cost me a total of $50 each, saving $30 total in the end. Sometimes with having an online connection depending on the console you can either get the game: for free or way cheaper then in the store. Yea, I'm not getting a physical copy but eh, whatever is my feeling atmo.

I will say that for some games it depends on if I want it day one or not if I think it's worth the $70 and with some games, atmo.. I'm not willing to be some dev's *ahem* game/bug tester. Grin
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: dj8g30-f027a6f5-6621-48fd-98ef-d91107be781c.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,666 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I technically did buy TotK due to my buying the Nintendo Switch Game vouchers. I saved back enough for it and ended up with Skyward Sword and reserved LoZ: TotK both of which cost me a total of $50 each, saving $30 total in the end. Sometimes with having an online connection depending on the console you can either get the game: for free or way cheaper then in the store. Yea, I'm not getting a physical copy but eh, whatever is my feeling atmo.

I will say that for some games it depends on if I want it day one or not if I think it's worth the $70 and with some games, atmo.. I'm not willing to be some dev's *ahem* game/bug tester. Grin
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(May 2nd, 2023, 08:52 AM)queenzelda Wrote:

Although I feel your reply is more about the "would you pay $70" topic that came before this one, going for deals is definitely the way especially with prices of games going up while the launch quality doesn't necessarily go up with it.

Do you think games would go higher than $70 eventually though queen? Smile

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(May 2nd, 2023, 08:52 AM)queenzelda Wrote:

Although I feel your reply is more about the "would you pay $70" topic that came before this one, going for deals is definitely the way especially with prices of games going up while the launch quality doesn't necessarily go up with it.

queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,666
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
(May 2nd, 2023, 06:10 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Yes because triple A game devs are greedy m.fers. According to a lot of arguments I've seen online about this very topic games should be costing $100 with inflation.

My argument though is: why are movie's still priced $20 to $30 when they release by comparison though? Both some have argued are entertainment. Just one is a movie while the other is just a movie where you control the character. Idk, just some stuff to consider. All I know is if video games release at $100 a pop I'm going to have to reconsider my gaming habit I guess. ^_^ Sweat
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: dj8g30-f027a6f5-6621-48fd-98ef-d91107be781c.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,666 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
(May 2nd, 2023, 06:10 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Yes because triple A game devs are greedy m.fers. According to a lot of arguments I've seen online about this very topic games should be costing $100 with inflation.

My argument though is: why are movie's still priced $20 to $30 when they release by comparison though? Both some have argued are entertainment. Just one is a movie while the other is just a movie where you control the character. Idk, just some stuff to consider. All I know is if video games release at $100 a pop I'm going to have to reconsider my gaming habit I guess. ^_^ Sweat
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(May 4th, 2023, 04:39 PM)queenzelda Wrote:
My guess is movies are priced cheaper because it's a much wider net being cast. The US alone has over 330 million people, but the best selling home consoles from each of the big three is PS2 at 155 million, Switch at 122 million, and Xbox 360 at 84 million. That only comes out to 30 million or so more units sold than the population of the US at present. If you look at sales of games, Minecraft, GTA V and Tetris are the only three to have broken 100 million copies sold. Movies are going to see way higher numbers of people and there are also multiple revenue streams for them; you've got the initial theater releases, and then home releases, while games are pretty much a buy it once and you're done type of deal unless you double/triple/etc. dip on it.

Although, at this point in my post I decided to go see how much money GTA V made in sales versus the highest grossing movies, and it basically made more than double of Avatar. Even Mario Kart 8 has made more money than it, assuming every copy of it has sold for $60. So now I actually don't know why movies can sell for cheaper than games since they clearly make their money back. I guess it just comes down to the fact a movie would never sell at $60 while a game always will because it's either always been the standard since the 80's and/or we've all been conditioned to view games as much more valuable experiences. Unsure

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(May 4th, 2023, 04:39 PM)queenzelda Wrote:
My guess is movies are priced cheaper because it's a much wider net being cast. The US alone has over 330 million people, but the best selling home consoles from each of the big three is PS2 at 155 million, Switch at 122 million, and Xbox 360 at 84 million. That only comes out to 30 million or so more units sold than the population of the US at present. If you look at sales of games, Minecraft, GTA V and Tetris are the only three to have broken 100 million copies sold. Movies are going to see way higher numbers of people and there are also multiple revenue streams for them; you've got the initial theater releases, and then home releases, while games are pretty much a buy it once and you're done type of deal unless you double/triple/etc. dip on it.

Although, at this point in my post I decided to go see how much money GTA V made in sales versus the highest grossing movies, and it basically made more than double of Avatar. Even Mario Kart 8 has made more money than it, assuming every copy of it has sold for $60. So now I actually don't know why movies can sell for cheaper than games since they clearly make their money back. I guess it just comes down to the fact a movie would never sell at $60 while a game always will because it's either always been the standard since the 80's and/or we've all been conditioned to view games as much more valuable experiences. Unsure
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,100
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Yes I think games will go up in price, hopefully not sooner than the last increase was, especially with games continued to be worked on past the initial release date nowadays. Yes even with DLC pricing on top later, they're bound to still increase launch price regardless. I'm not buying many games much anymore, but it'll still be slightly annoying looking at a £80-£100 game.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,100 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Yes I think games will go up in price, hopefully not sooner than the last increase was, especially with games continued to be worked on past the initial release date nowadays. Yes even with DLC pricing on top later, they're bound to still increase launch price regardless. I'm not buying many games much anymore, but it'll still be slightly annoying looking at a £80-£100 game.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Xbox to Bring Games to Other Systems Moonface 9 321 Feb 23rd, 2024, 07:09 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  What Notable Games Will Be Lost With the 3DS/Wii U eShop Closure? Moonface 7 1,165 Jan 18th, 2024, 04:26 PM
  Storing Your Games? Moonface 8 694 Nov 18th, 2023, 02:13 AM
Last Post: Kyng
  Would You Pay $70 For PS5/XSX Games? Moonface 33 9,403 Mar 3rd, 2023, 08:55 PM
  What If All PS4 Games Were Also On PC? Moonface 37 26,813 Jul 1st, 2021, 04:38 PM