Favourite Commercials?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,589
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I know usually we all hate advertisements on TV or in YouTube videos, but every so often there are some that are actually so good you actually enjoyed watching them and remember them fondly from time to time. So what commercials have you seen that you were a big fan of?

One of my all time favourites has to be this one for a milk brand in the UK called Cravendale. I've never seen any other milk commercial that does anything as interesting of an idea as this one, where cats have developed thumbs for the sole purpose of being able to steal and open bottles of Cravendale milk from people:

Animals being featured for quirky ideas in UK commercials is pretty common too, with this one from Cadbury being an incredibly famous one that I wouldn't be surprised to see people outside of the UK have an awareness of where a gorilla plays the drums to "In The Air Tonight" by Phil Collins. Absolutely nothing about chocolate is shown or hinted at until the Cadbury logo appears at the end, and would make absolutely zero sense to be used for advertising chocolate if not for the "a glass and a half full of joy" slogan.

A couple of others that feature animals I always recall is this campaign by McVitie's for their Digestive biscuits, where instead of the packs containing biscuits they instead have kittens or puppies popping out of them like the things a clown car.

[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,589 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I know usually we all hate advertisements on TV or in YouTube videos, but every so often there are some that are actually so good you actually enjoyed watching them and remember them fondly from time to time. So what commercials have you seen that you were a big fan of?

One of my all time favourites has to be this one for a milk brand in the UK called Cravendale. I've never seen any other milk commercial that does anything as interesting of an idea as this one, where cats have developed thumbs for the sole purpose of being able to steal and open bottles of Cravendale milk from people:

Animals being featured for quirky ideas in UK commercials is pretty common too, with this one from Cadbury being an incredibly famous one that I wouldn't be surprised to see people outside of the UK have an awareness of where a gorilla plays the drums to "In The Air Tonight" by Phil Collins. Absolutely nothing about chocolate is shown or hinted at until the Cadbury logo appears at the end, and would make absolutely zero sense to be used for advertising chocolate if not for the "a glass and a half full of joy" slogan.

A couple of others that feature animals I always recall is this campaign by McVitie's for their Digestive biscuits, where instead of the packs containing biscuits they instead have kittens or puppies popping out of them like the things a clown car.

Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,960
Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
As a Formula One fan, I think this is a real classic:

Sadly, I was too young to appreciate it at the time (I wasn't yet following F1 when this would've been on) - but I don't think I've seen any better adverts featuring F1 personalities since!
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,960 Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
As a Formula One fan, I think this is a real classic:

Sadly, I was too young to appreciate it at the time (I wasn't yet following F1 when this would've been on) - but I don't think I've seen any better adverts featuring F1 personalities since!
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Yeah that one's great. RIP Murray once again.

Forgot this was a commercial because I watched it on YouTube a little while ago without the mention of what it's meant to be promoting at the end but here's the full video.

[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Yeah that one's great. RIP Murray once again.

Forgot this was a commercial because I watched it on YouTube a little while ago without the mention of what it's meant to be promoting at the end but here's the full video.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I've never seen either of those commercials before and I love them both. LOL
Although I question the sanity of a man who turns his pizza slice around and eats it from the crust end first. Hmm

That Powerade one reminds me of the Lucozade campaign with Lara Croft back in the early 2000's:

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I've never seen either of those commercials before and I love them both. LOL
Although I question the sanity of a man who turns his pizza slice around and eats it from the crust end first. Hmm

That Powerade one reminds me of the Lucozade campaign with Lara Croft back in the early 2000's:

Kyng Offline
Rookie
(Aug 27th, 2023, 11:42 PM)Moonface Wrote:

To be honest, I was questioning Murray Walker's sanity half the time he was commentating... but that was what made him so endearing!

As for the Lucozade one... it's a fun advert that packs a lot of action into its 33 seconds, but wow, those renderings and animations have aged poorly Tongue .
Kyng Offline
Rookie

To be honest, I was questioning Murray Walker's sanity half the time he was commentating... but that was what made him so endearing!

As for the Lucozade one... it's a fun advert that packs a lot of action into its 33 seconds, but wow, those renderings and animations have aged poorly Tongue .
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Aug 28th, 2023, 12:06 AM)Kyng Wrote:

If you want poorly aged animations I'll give you this then:

I don't think this was ever on TV and instead came on promotional discs, and there was also a Crash Bandicoot one too. I have no idea what the marketing teams for games were smoking at the time these two things got made, but I'm glad it seems to have only been these two that ever got made. XD

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him

I don't think this was ever on TV and instead came on promotional discs, and there was also a Crash Bandicoot one too. I have no idea what the marketing teams for games were smoking at the time these two things got made, but I'm glad it seems to have only been these two that ever got made. XD
Kyng Offline
Rookie
(Sep 1st, 2023, 01:51 AM)Moonface Wrote:

Wow, what the heck :-/ ? 

That one's aged really poorly. The Crash Bandicoot one is a little better (I guess because Crash isn't supposed to be realistic-looking), but it's still weird. 

I'm kinda glad these are the only two that ever got made... assuming there isn't another one that's hiding somewhere Tongue .
Kyng Offline
Rookie
(Sep 1st, 2023, 01:51 AM)Moonface Wrote:

Wow, what the heck :-/ ? 

That one's aged really poorly. The Crash Bandicoot one is a little better (I guess because Crash isn't supposed to be realistic-looking), but it's still weird. 

I'm kinda glad these are the only two that ever got made... assuming there isn't another one that's hiding somewhere Tongue .
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Speaking of poorly aged animation made me remember, and I didn't see it at the time of course because it's a commercial from Pakistan is this Sonic McDonald's Happy Meal commercial. Now this isn't exactly poorly aged, well OK it is but it isn't the glaring thing about it, it's well...I suppose they tried. XD 

Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Speaking of poorly aged animation made me remember, and I didn't see it at the time of course because it's a commercial from Pakistan is this Sonic McDonald's Happy Meal commercial. Now this isn't exactly poorly aged, well OK it is but it isn't the glaring thing about it, it's well...I suppose they tried. XD 

ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,227
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
An old K-Mart ad from when K-Mart was still around that is still golden today. Fantastic ad campaign:

Anyone else love to ship their pants?
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,227 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
An old K-Mart ad from when K-Mart was still around that is still golden today. Fantastic ad campaign:

Anyone else love to ship their pants?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I'd always heard the "I just shipped mah bed!" on a Twitch stream I watch as a sub alert but never knew until now it was actually from this, and that it was a play on words and not literally using the word "shit". XD
I swear I've seen other ads that take this approach with words but nothing comes to mind right now. Sad

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I'd always heard the "I just shipped mah bed!" on a Twitch stream I watch as a sub alert but never knew until now it was actually from this, and that it was a play on words and not literally using the word "shit". XD
I swear I've seen other ads that take this approach with words but nothing comes to mind right now. Sad
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I don't know why, but a product called Um Bongo was something I randomly kept remembering and had on my mind this past week, and I was surprised to learn the product still exists. I've never had the drink myself but the reason I remember it so well is partly because of the name and also because of this amazing commercial it had back in the 90's:

I also loved that when they did an alternate version of the drink they just called it Um Ognob. XD

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I don't know why, but a product called Um Bongo was something I randomly kept remembering and had on my mind this past week, and I was surprised to learn the product still exists. I've never had the drink myself but the reason I remember it so well is partly because of the name and also because of this amazing commercial it had back in the 90's:

I also loved that when they did an alternate version of the drink they just called it Um Ognob. XD
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,227
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Knowing what fruits are in the Ognob variant, I'm sad to learn that it doesn't exist anymore. Still, I love the animation in the ad campaign, very nostalgic. Grin
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,227 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Knowing what fruits are in the Ognob variant, I'm sad to learn that it doesn't exist anymore. Still, I love the animation in the ad campaign, very nostalgic. Grin
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Ah, that Um Bongo ad, so good. I forgot about that and never knew of the Um Ognob version.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Ah, that Um Bongo ad, so good. I forgot about that and never knew of the Um Ognob version.
Kyng Offline
Rookie
(Dec 26th, 2023, 02:02 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Does it, though?

Their website is still up; however, the copyright suggests that it hasn't been updated since 2013. And I can't find it in stock anywhere. 

So, if anyone can find any concrete proof that it is still being sold anywhere, I'd love to see it Smile !
Kyng Offline
Rookie

Does it, though?

Their website is still up; however, the copyright suggests that it hasn't been updated since 2013. And I can't find it in stock anywhere. 

So, if anyone can find any concrete proof that it is still being sold anywhere, I'd love to see it Smile !
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Dec 30th, 2023, 01:07 AM)Kyng Wrote:

Does it, though?

Ah, I just assumed it was still made because of this page on their website showing vendors that stock the drink, plus on Wikipedia it says "in the United Kingdom, Gerber Juice Company Limited continues to package the drink" which also made me think the drink is still actively produced.
It makes me wonder why the website would still be up a decade after the drinks have presumably stopped being produced. Hmm

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Dec 30th, 2023, 01:07 AM)Kyng Wrote:

Does it, though?

Ah, I just assumed it was still made because of this page on their website showing vendors that stock the drink, plus on Wikipedia it says "in the United Kingdom, Gerber Juice Company Limited continues to package the drink" which also made me think the drink is still actively produced.
It makes me wonder why the website would still be up a decade after the drinks have presumably stopped being produced. Hmm

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Favourite Trading Card Designs? Moonface 5 537 Oct 1st, 2023, 07:40 PM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  Favourite Actors/Actresses and/or Their Performances? Moonface 5 2,082 Sep 22nd, 2021, 03:39 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai