Favourite Trading Card Designs?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,601
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
So when I was in class yesterday I learned that The Pokémon Company holds a yearly contest for people to design the illustration for a future Pokémon card, so long as it's for one of the Pokémon that are listed for that particular contest. I also learned that the official Pokémon website has an entire database of pretty much every card ever made, and I found it cool to get to see so many card designs I had never seen before and probably never would have seen either: https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/pokemon-cards/

Rather than ask folks what their favourite designs from that website are though, I figured it would be better to just expand this thread to cover all cards, since I know some of you here have experience/knowledge of other card games. Smile

I've never personally had (or at least can't recall) a favourite card design from when I collected Pokémon cards, but I did like this Mewtwo one I came across while making this thread and looking up random Pokémon: https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/p...smp/SM191/
I just love how he's just so done with Mew's shit in this. XD

Also I can't link to the singular card because it's a set, but I always liked cards that do a big design across multiple, like the Mewtwo one that comes as a set of four on this page: https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/p...ame=mewtwo
The only thing that sucks is they don't seem to ever do that design on one singular piece, so although it looks cool they're harder to appreciate the designs for. Sad
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,601 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
So when I was in class yesterday I learned that The Pokémon Company holds a yearly contest for people to design the illustration for a future Pokémon card, so long as it's for one of the Pokémon that are listed for that particular contest. I also learned that the official Pokémon website has an entire database of pretty much every card ever made, and I found it cool to get to see so many card designs I had never seen before and probably never would have seen either: https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/pokemon-cards/

Rather than ask folks what their favourite designs from that website are though, I figured it would be better to just expand this thread to cover all cards, since I know some of you here have experience/knowledge of other card games. Smile

I've never personally had (or at least can't recall) a favourite card design from when I collected Pokémon cards, but I did like this Mewtwo one I came across while making this thread and looking up random Pokémon: https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/p...smp/SM191/
I just love how he's just so done with Mew's shit in this. XD

Also I can't link to the singular card because it's a set, but I always liked cards that do a big design across multiple, like the Mewtwo one that comes as a set of four on this page: https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/p...ame=mewtwo
The only thing that sucks is they don't seem to ever do that design on one singular piece, so although it looks cool they're harder to appreciate the designs for. Sad
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Makes me wonder how someone would've had to collect that set of four Mewtwo, did it come guaranteed with each other in a pack or like they do with some nowadays where there's a featured card so set in this case, or had to hunt for them individually? Darn the classic Mewtwo card looks so meh, both design and it's abilities.

Anyway one of my favourites that isn't even on the card database was Dark Charmeleon, and just because I had it, Dark Charizard too.

Can't think of anymore right now, just the EX cards are a bit much but I suppose they aren't so bad really. XD
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Makes me wonder how someone would've had to collect that set of four Mewtwo, did it come guaranteed with each other in a pack or like they do with some nowadays where there's a featured card so set in this case, or had to hunt for them individually? Darn the classic Mewtwo card looks so meh, both design and it's abilities.

Anyway one of my favourites that isn't even on the card database was Dark Charmeleon, and just because I had it, Dark Charizard too.

Can't think of anymore right now, just the EX cards are a bit much but I suppose they aren't so bad really. XD
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,601
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Sep 25th, 2023, 10:34 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
I'd imagine it was probably sold in one of those box sets where they showcase some cards on the front through the plastic window so you're always guaranteed the four. Not sure if this is the actual set but this is what I'm referring to: https://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-TCG-Mewtw...B01M1VMURA

Are those official cards? Seems odd for them to not be in the database, but then it's also odd if they are official for Pokemon to get given a variant that hasn't existed in the games. Hmm
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,601 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I'd imagine it was probably sold in one of those box sets where they showcase some cards on the front through the plastic window so you're always guaranteed the four. Not sure if this is the actual set but this is what I'm referring to: https://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-TCG-Mewtw...B01M1VMURA

Are those official cards? Seems odd for them to not be in the database, but then it's also odd if they are official for Pokemon to get given a variant that hasn't existed in the games. Hmm
shadow Offline
Newcomer
Currently Playing
Moonstone Isle
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 735
Other card designs are different Dark Magician Girl variants from YuGiOh, the god cars. My personal favorite being the Winged Dargon of Ra. There's also Magic the Gathering if you're into that, my brother is. I tend to think the cards are overly priced, thus I stay out.

There are also video games with cards in mind, one such I'm playing with is Moonstone Isle.
https://twinfinite.net/wp-content/upload...jpg?w=1200
^This is just the kind of cards you get in your hand, depending on the monster.
[Image: shadow10.png]
"You best try your hardest. Or else you'll get hurt" - Shadow before fighting Emerl.
shadow Offline
Newcomer
Currently Playing
Moonstone Isle
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 735
Other card designs are different Dark Magician Girl variants from YuGiOh, the god cars. My personal favorite being the Winged Dargon of Ra. There's also Magic the Gathering if you're into that, my brother is. I tend to think the cards are overly priced, thus I stay out.

There are also video games with cards in mind, one such I'm playing with is Moonstone Isle.
https://twinfinite.net/wp-content/upload...jpg?w=1200
^This is just the kind of cards you get in your hand, depending on the monster.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Princess Peach Showtime {PS5] FF7: Rebirth [PC] Snacko
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,920
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
[Image: dark_m10.jpg]
My favorite Dark Magician Girl design so far. My favorite god card from YGO is Slifer the Sky Dragon. 💖
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: ffix-p10.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Princess Peach Showtime {PS5] FF7: Rebirth [PC] Snacko
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,920 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
[Image: dark_m10.jpg]
My favorite Dark Magician Girl design so far. My favorite god card from YGO is Slifer the Sky Dragon. 💖
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
(Sep 26th, 2023, 11:26 PM)Moonface Wrote:

I thought they were official, can't remember where I bought them but I assume they were with other Pokémon card packs, I got quite a few "R"/Team Rocket versions of Pokémon but perhaps they were discontinued or something thus no longer featured on the database? Ah, mentioned here on Bulbapedia as a set that released after the Mystery of the Fossils set so seems to be official.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
(Sep 26th, 2023, 11:26 PM)Moonface Wrote:

I thought they were official, can't remember where I bought them but I assume they were with other Pokémon card packs, I got quite a few "R"/Team Rocket versions of Pokémon but perhaps they were discontinued or something thus no longer featured on the database? Ah, mentioned here on Bulbapedia as a set that released after the Mystery of the Fossils set so seems to be official.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Favourite Commercials? Moonface 14 1,090 Jan 3rd, 2024, 06:40 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Do/Did You Collect Trading Cards? Moonface 14 2,265 Oct 9th, 2022, 11:32 PM
Last Post: WR91
  Favourite Actors/Actresses and/or Their Performances? Moonface 5 2,085 Sep 22nd, 2021, 03:39 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai