PlayStation Boss Jim Ryan Stepping Down
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,589
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 

Pretty much what the Tweet says. Thought it was interesting enough to share it and I wouldn't be surprised if this is true.

UPDATE: Sony has officially confirmed that Jim Ryan will be stepping down in March 2024: https://sonyinteractive.com/en/press-rel...ainment-2/

Sony Interactive Entertainment Wrote:
(September 28, 2023, Tokyo / September 27, San Mateo, CA) – Sony Group Corporation and Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) today announced that SIE President and CEO Jim Ryan has made the decision to retire in March 2024 after almost thirty years with the PlayStation business. To support Mr. Ryan in his transition, Sony Group Corporation President, COO and CFO Hiroki Totoki will assume the role of Chairman of SIE effective October 2023. Effective April 1, 2024, Mr. Totoki will be appointed Interim CEO of SIE while he continues his current role at Sony Group Corporation. Mr. Totoki will work closely with Sony Group Corporation Chairman and CEO Kenichiro Yoshida and the management team of SIE to help define the next chapter of PlayStation’s future, including the succession of the SIE CEO role.
Jim Ryan Wrote:
After 30 years, I have made the decision to retire from SIE in March 2024. I’ve relished the opportunity to have a job I love in a very special company, working with great people and incredible partners. But I’ve found it increasingly difficult to reconcile living in Europe and working in North America. I will leave having been privileged to work on products that have touched millions of lives across the world; PlayStation will always be part of my life, and I feel more optimistic than ever about the future of SIE. I want to thank Yoshida-san for placing so much trust in me and being an incredibly sensitive and supportive leader.

As per the statement, Hiroki Totoki to assume Interim CEO role while keeping his current role at Sony Group. I couldn't determine from the statement if he's going to become the full CEO once Jim Ryan steps down or if it'll be someone else.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,589 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 

Pretty much what the Tweet says. Thought it was interesting enough to share it and I wouldn't be surprised if this is true.

UPDATE: Sony has officially confirmed that Jim Ryan will be stepping down in March 2024: https://sonyinteractive.com/en/press-rel...ainment-2/

Sony Interactive Entertainment Wrote:
(September 28, 2023, Tokyo / September 27, San Mateo, CA) – Sony Group Corporation and Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) today announced that SIE President and CEO Jim Ryan has made the decision to retire in March 2024 after almost thirty years with the PlayStation business. To support Mr. Ryan in his transition, Sony Group Corporation President, COO and CFO Hiroki Totoki will assume the role of Chairman of SIE effective October 2023. Effective April 1, 2024, Mr. Totoki will be appointed Interim CEO of SIE while he continues his current role at Sony Group Corporation. Mr. Totoki will work closely with Sony Group Corporation Chairman and CEO Kenichiro Yoshida and the management team of SIE to help define the next chapter of PlayStation’s future, including the succession of the SIE CEO role.
Jim Ryan Wrote:
After 30 years, I have made the decision to retire from SIE in March 2024. I’ve relished the opportunity to have a job I love in a very special company, working with great people and incredible partners. But I’ve found it increasingly difficult to reconcile living in Europe and working in North America. I will leave having been privileged to work on products that have touched millions of lives across the world; PlayStation will always be part of my life, and I feel more optimistic than ever about the future of SIE. I want to thank Yoshida-san for placing so much trust in me and being an incredibly sensitive and supportive leader.

As per the statement, Hiroki Totoki to assume Interim CEO role while keeping his current role at Sony Group. I couldn't determine from the statement if he's going to become the full CEO once Jim Ryan steps down or if it'll be someone else.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Never knew who Jim Ryan was so it's whatever news to me other than wow 30 years, and he seemed to have enjoyed his time in the role overall.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Never knew who Jim Ryan was so it's whatever news to me other than wow 30 years, and he seemed to have enjoyed his time in the role overall.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 28th, 2023, 10:59 AM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
He was the guy in charge of PlayStation as a whole since 2019, but unlike those before him he wasn't as prominent as a public facing figure, similar to how Doug Bowser currently is for Nintendo compared to Reggie, where the latter was far more of a public facing figure than Bowser has been. Prior to Ryan, the CEO's were Shawn Layden (2014 - 2019) and Jack Tretton (2006 - 2014), who were both a bit more well known compared to Ryan, although that was also helped by the fact back during their tenures PlayStation still did live presentations at E3 and whatnot and both Layden and Tretton would attend those. PlayStation moving away from those to State of Play's meant Ryan would've only had those to show his face at but he never really did. As CEO though from 2019 - 2024 it would mean most major decisions related to PlayStation are attributed to him, both good and bad, including the increase to PS+ prices.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 28th, 2023, 10:59 AM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
He was the guy in charge of PlayStation as a whole since 2019, but unlike those before him he wasn't as prominent as a public facing figure, similar to how Doug Bowser currently is for Nintendo compared to Reggie, where the latter was far more of a public facing figure than Bowser has been. Prior to Ryan, the CEO's were Shawn Layden (2014 - 2019) and Jack Tretton (2006 - 2014), who were both a bit more well known compared to Ryan, although that was also helped by the fact back during their tenures PlayStation still did live presentations at E3 and whatnot and both Layden and Tretton would attend those. PlayStation moving away from those to State of Play's meant Ryan would've only had those to show his face at but he never really did. As CEO though from 2019 - 2024 it would mean most major decisions related to PlayStation are attributed to him, both good and bad, including the increase to PS+ prices.
shadow Offline
Newcomer
Currently Playing
Moonstone Isle
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 735
My personal opinion: he should have retired when Fils-Aimé did. 🤷‍♂️ Still, should be interesting to see how Sony moves forward after his departure.
[Image: shadow10.png]
"You best try your hardest. Or else you'll get hurt" - Shadow before fighting Emerl.
shadow Offline
Newcomer
Currently Playing
Moonstone Isle
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 735
My personal opinion: he should have retired when Fils-Aimé did. 🤷‍♂️ Still, should be interesting to see how Sony moves forward after his departure.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 28th, 2023, 10:18 PM)shadow Wrote:
That could only happen if Ryan chose to not become PlayStation CEO, since he was put into the role in the same year that Reggie retired as Nintendo CEO.

I could see Hermen Hulst becoming the next CEO, since he is currently the head of PlayStation Studios and before that was Co-Founder and Managing Director at Guerilla Games. If it isn't him I don't have a clue who else it's going to be.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 28th, 2023, 10:18 PM)shadow Wrote:
That could only happen if Ryan chose to not become PlayStation CEO, since he was put into the role in the same year that Reggie retired as Nintendo CEO.

I could see Hermen Hulst becoming the next CEO, since he is currently the head of PlayStation Studios and before that was Co-Founder and Managing Director at Guerilla Games. If it isn't him I don't have a clue who else it's going to be.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Princess Peach Showtime {PS5] FF7: Rebirth [PC] Snacko
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,920
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
Honestly, I'm not going to miss him. He is the guy who said; "Who wants ps1 or ps2 on their system? They look terrible no one want to play that." [I'm paraphrasing but still.) Um, I would like to play my ps1 copy of FF7 Jim Ryan, and my PS2 copy of Shadows of Darkness looks just fine to me in 2023.
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: ffix-p10.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Princess Peach Showtime {PS5] FF7: Rebirth [PC] Snacko
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,920 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
Honestly, I'm not going to miss him. He is the guy who said; "Who wants ps1 or ps2 on their system? They look terrible no one want to play that." [I'm paraphrasing but still.) Um, I would like to play my ps1 copy of FF7 Jim Ryan, and my PS2 copy of Shadows of Darkness looks just fine to me in 2023.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 28th, 2023, 11:13 PM)queenzelda Wrote:
Seems a lot of people aren't going to miss him: Bloomberg | Why PlayStation Fans Are Cheering CEO’s Departure

For the part you're paraphrasing, the article I just linked to has the full quote:

Bloomberg Wrote:
At one point, he infuriated retro game fans and preservationists by saying that old PlayStation 1 and PlayStation 2 games “looked ancient — like why would anybody play this?”
I remembered he had made some remark about retro games but I forgot just how out of touch it was. Just because a game looks ancient doesn't mean it's bad or that people no longer want to play it. Errm

Also if all of this can get dumped into a fire that'll be good:

Bloomberg Wrote:
But Sony’s stable of game studios, such as Naughty Dog (The Last of Us), Insomniac (Spider-Man) and Guerrilla Games (Horizon), have also been working on multiplayer service games — with mixed levels of success. Most have not been revealed yet. Some have been canceled or overhauled, such as an online game based on The Last of Us.
I wasn't aware of Insomniac working on a multiplayer game at any point, but I knew of Naughty Dog with The Last of Us: Factions which I could never trust them to balance as a live service game when they've never balanced the multiplayer in any of their previous games remotely well. Guerilla's multiplayer game was announced to be some form of co-op game set in the Horizon universe, but nothing more has been said ever since that initial statement.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 28th, 2023, 11:13 PM)queenzelda Wrote:
Seems a lot of people aren't going to miss him: Bloomberg | Why PlayStation Fans Are Cheering CEO’s Departure

For the part you're paraphrasing, the article I just linked to has the full quote:

Bloomberg Wrote:
At one point, he infuriated retro game fans and preservationists by saying that old PlayStation 1 and PlayStation 2 games “looked ancient — like why would anybody play this?”
I remembered he had made some remark about retro games but I forgot just how out of touch it was. Just because a game looks ancient doesn't mean it's bad or that people no longer want to play it. Errm

Also if all of this can get dumped into a fire that'll be good:

Bloomberg Wrote:
But Sony’s stable of game studios, such as Naughty Dog (The Last of Us), Insomniac (Spider-Man) and Guerrilla Games (Horizon), have also been working on multiplayer service games — with mixed levels of success. Most have not been revealed yet. Some have been canceled or overhauled, such as an online game based on The Last of Us.
I wasn't aware of Insomniac working on a multiplayer game at any point, but I knew of Naughty Dog with The Last of Us: Factions which I could never trust them to balance as a live service game when they've never balanced the multiplayer in any of their previous games remotely well. Guerilla's multiplayer game was announced to be some form of co-op game set in the Horizon universe, but nothing more has been said ever since that initial statement.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PlayStation 5 | Pro Spec Analysis Moonface 420 123,017 Mar 22nd, 2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  New PlayStation Plus Tiers Announced Moonface 45 7,357 Sep 18th, 2023, 08:32 PM
  Sony to Retire PlayStation Plus Collection Moonface 1 595 Feb 1st, 2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  Project Leonardo: PlayStation's new controller for players with disabilities aerodynamik 7 4,591 Jan 15th, 2023, 10:20 PM
  PlayStation Loyalty Program Announced Moonface 7 1,826 Sep 15th, 2022, 11:09 PM