Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,838
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
German reunification. I was wondering if maybe an incorrect clue might have been given, but German reunification happened in 1990, meaning Germany did technically exist with its current name prior to 1991 like I asked.

Are you in Albania?
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,838 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
German reunification. I was wondering if maybe an incorrect clue might have been given, but German reunification happened in 1990, meaning Germany did technically exist with its current name prior to 1991 like I asked.

Are you in Albania?
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,605
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Oct 13th, 2023, 10:30 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
Are you in Albania?
No.
*doesn't actually know where that is in the world or in relation to the answer*
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,605 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Are you in Albania?
No.
*doesn't actually know where that is in the world or in relation to the answer*
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Oct 5th, 2023, 08:04 PM)Moonface Wrote:
(Oct 5th, 2023, 07:55 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
Does the country you are in contain territory that was east of the Iron Curtain?
Yes.
I'm gonna clarify this just in case; by territory east of the Iron Curtain I took this to mean whether the country had any amount of land on the east side of the Iron Curtain, even if it wasn't actually next to the Iron Curtain. To try and give an example that won't give away the answer, if the Iron Curtain divided North and South America and the correct country was Canada, I would have considered that country to be north of the Iron Curtain even though Canada is not a country that sits next to the wall.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Oct 5th, 2023, 08:04 PM)Moonface Wrote:
(Oct 5th, 2023, 07:55 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
Does the country you are in contain territory that was east of the Iron Curtain?
Yes.
I'm gonna clarify this just in case; by territory east of the Iron Curtain I took this to mean whether the country had any amount of land on the east side of the Iron Curtain, even if it wasn't actually next to the Iron Curtain. To try and give an example that won't give away the answer, if the Iron Curtain divided North and South America and the correct country was Canada, I would have considered that country to be north of the Iron Curtain even though Canada is not a country that sits next to the wall.
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
The problem that I'm running into is that we are out of countries that

A. Are in Europe
B. Are East of the Curtain
C. Existed prior to 1991
D. Are not on the Black Sea
E. Have a coastline

Becuase the Iron Curtain isn't a straight barrier. It kind of wraps up and over Greece and Turkey, and pushes out Sweden and Finland in the north. D eliminates Bulgaria and Romania, and we've gone through all the countries that have a coast (Hungary is landlocked, and Czechia and Slovakia didn't exist). I asked about Albania because technically that was a Warsaw Pact country, and therefore some might consider it "behind" the Iron Curtain. Any other country over in Eastern Europe were either part of Yugoslavia or the Soviet Union, both of which only collapsed in '92 and '91, respectively (which is why I asked that question; I wanted to eliminate or focus down the former Soviet countries). So, unless there's something I'm missing, there might be a miscommunication.

It's probably my bad, because I always the weird historical questions. I know they are always weird, but they take out a lot of guesswork.

So, last guess, before I just throw out that 1991 criterion outright: Are you in Greece?
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
The problem that I'm running into is that we are out of countries that

A. Are in Europe
B. Are East of the Curtain
C. Existed prior to 1991
D. Are not on the Black Sea
E. Have a coastline

Becuase the Iron Curtain isn't a straight barrier. It kind of wraps up and over Greece and Turkey, and pushes out Sweden and Finland in the north. D eliminates Bulgaria and Romania, and we've gone through all the countries that have a coast (Hungary is landlocked, and Czechia and Slovakia didn't exist). I asked about Albania because technically that was a Warsaw Pact country, and therefore some might consider it "behind" the Iron Curtain. Any other country over in Eastern Europe were either part of Yugoslavia or the Soviet Union, both of which only collapsed in '92 and '91, respectively (which is why I asked that question; I wanted to eliminate or focus down the former Soviet countries). So, unless there's something I'm missing, there might be a miscommunication.

It's probably my bad, because I always the weird historical questions. I know they are always weird, but they take out a lot of guesswork.

So, last guess, before I just throw out that 1991 criterion outright: Are you in Greece?
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Oh wow....I just realized I'm fucking stupid. The country isn't east of the Iron Curtain, it's west. I don't know why I was so convinced that west was east but here we are. Dammit!! Doh Doh

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Oh wow....I just realized I'm fucking stupid. The country isn't east of the Iron Curtain, it's west. I don't know why I was so convinced that west was east but here we are. Dammit!! Doh Doh
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Welp, that changes the geography quite a bit, then.

Does the country you are in border the Mediterranean Sea?
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Oct 14th, 2023, 12:50 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:

*makes absolutely sure to give the right answer this time*
Yes.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Oct 14th, 2023, 12:50 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:

*makes absolutely sure to give the right answer this time*
Yes.
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Are you in Spain?
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Are you in Spain?
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
After spending more time looking at Europe castles this time, I'm thinking Spain is correct, looks like the Coca Castle or at the very least another castle, if there is one, with Spanish Mudejar brickwork. If that's wrong then fook.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
After spending more time looking at Europe castles this time, I'm thinking Spain is correct, looks like the Coca Castle or at the very least another castle, if there is one, with Spanish Mudejar brickwork. If that's wrong then fook.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Oct 16th, 2023, 01:48 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
Are you in Spain?
I am!

(Oct 16th, 2023, 08:53 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Hmm, not sure what castle it is since I didn't make a note of the exact location, just the country.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Oct 16th, 2023, 01:48 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
Are you in Spain?
I am!

(Oct 16th, 2023, 08:53 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Hmm, not sure what castle it is since I didn't make a note of the exact location, just the country.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,231
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
GG Spain guess, Maniak! I can't believe my husband would forget his right from his left again I missed out on this.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,231 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
GG Spain guess, Maniak! I can't believe my husband would forget his right from his left again I missed out on this.
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
As I recall, this isn't the first time that specific mistake has happened with this game. And it's something I still do on a regular basis, even knowing that East is right on the map, I still have to think about it if I don't have geographic ideas (e.g. The Far East, or the Western US) embedded in my memory. So, Moony isn't the only one with this problem, and I completely sympathize.
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
As I recall, this isn't the first time that specific mistake has happened with this game. And it's something I still do on a regular basis, even knowing that East is right on the map, I still have to think about it if I don't have geographic ideas (e.g. The Far East, or the Western US) embedded in my memory. So, Moony isn't the only one with this problem, and I completely sympathize.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, I'm sorry about making mistakes that affect the game that much and I'll try to be less impulsive about my answers in future to try and avoid it happening again. Sweat

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, I'm sorry about making mistakes that affect the game that much and I'll try to be less impulsive about my answers in future to try and avoid it happening again. Sweat
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,960
Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 

If you want to be even more technical, West Germany's official name was the "Federal Republic of Germany" - which is still Germany's official name today. In fact, the post-reunification Germany is officially an enlarged continuation of West Germany, rather than an entirely new country!

But given that we now know the castle is in Spain, I guess it's a moot point Tongue .
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,960 Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 

If you want to be even more technical, West Germany's official name was the "Federal Republic of Germany" - which is still Germany's official name today. In fact, the post-reunification Germany is officially an enlarged continuation of West Germany, rather than an entirely new country!

But given that we now know the castle is in Spain, I guess it's a moot point Tongue .

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where in the World #27 Moonface 7 152 Apr 12th, 2024, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Where in the World #26 Moonface 7 158 Apr 9th, 2024, 10:16 PM
  Where in the World #25 Moonface 6 259 Feb 20th, 2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  Where in the World #24 Moonface 18 865 Dec 27th, 2023, 08:57 PM
  Where in the World #23 Moonface 20 1,612 Nov 8th, 2023, 10:53 PM