Middle Names
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,601
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Do you have a middle name? How about others in your family? What do you think of middle names in general and would you give your kid a middle name or no?

I expect I'm one of the dull ones here who hasn't got a middle name, and neither does my brother. My parents told me that they never gave us middle names because they didn't know anyone whose name they wanted to use as our middle name, since my mum doesn't get on with her side of the family and my dad didn't want to give a middle name based on anyone on his side, so without anything that had a meaning behind it they didn't bother. I know my dad's middle name is based on a best friend of his father's, which is probably where he has the idea that middle names come from the name of someone else rather than just picking something you like even if it hasn't got a deeper meaning to it.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,601 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Do you have a middle name? How about others in your family? What do you think of middle names in general and would you give your kid a middle name or no?

I expect I'm one of the dull ones here who hasn't got a middle name, and neither does my brother. My parents told me that they never gave us middle names because they didn't know anyone whose name they wanted to use as our middle name, since my mum doesn't get on with her side of the family and my dad didn't want to give a middle name based on anyone on his side, so without anything that had a meaning behind it they didn't bother. I know my dad's middle name is based on a best friend of his father's, which is probably where he has the idea that middle names come from the name of someone else rather than just picking something you like even if it hasn't got a deeper meaning to it.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Mine's James and know that my mum, dad, sister and brother's are but I don't know what any of them are named after/based on. I just viewed it as an extra name of identity as there are other people with your exact forename and surname combination although obviously quite rare. Although Facebook tends to have a few on there. XD So an extra middle name helps pinning a specific person down. I haven't been bothered to learn if my own is a relative, friend, historical figure, etc, so haven't asked and could ask right now but I'm simply not curious enough. I usually use only my first and last names if asked about what my name is then only if someone specifically asks or it's for an official document/form of identity will I use my middle name.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,123 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Mine's James and know that my mum, dad, sister and brother's are but I don't know what any of them are named after/based on. I just viewed it as an extra name of identity as there are other people with your exact forename and surname combination although obviously quite rare. Although Facebook tends to have a few on there. XD So an extra middle name helps pinning a specific person down. I haven't been bothered to learn if my own is a relative, friend, historical figure, etc, so haven't asked and could ask right now but I'm simply not curious enough. I usually use only my first and last names if asked about what my name is then only if someone specifically asks or it's for an official document/form of identity will I use my middle name.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Oct 11th, 2023, 12:05 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Mine's James and know that my mum, dad, sister and brother's are...
Oh wow I didn't know everyone in your family has the same middle name! Gasp
I actually was trying to remember the middle names of your siblings but couldn't for the life of me. Best I could recall was they all sounded like they were religion inspired but that might also be bias talking from perceiving your mum as a Bible hugger at one point a long long time ago. XD

Fun fact, your middle name is what I gave myself as a fake middle name in primary school because I was jealous everyone but me seemed to have a middle name so I started writing James as my middle name on everything to the point the teacher started actually believing I had a middle name. I think they ended up telling my parents they didn't know I had a middle name because they hadn't given it as my name to the school and my parents were really confused. ROFL

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Oct 11th, 2023, 12:05 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Mine's James and know that my mum, dad, sister and brother's are...
Oh wow I didn't know everyone in your family has the same middle name! Gasp
I actually was trying to remember the middle names of your siblings but couldn't for the life of me. Best I could recall was they all sounded like they were religion inspired but that might also be bias talking from perceiving your mum as a Bible hugger at one point a long long time ago. XD

Fun fact, your middle name is what I gave myself as a fake middle name in primary school because I was jealous everyone but me seemed to have a middle name so I started writing James as my middle name on everything to the point the teacher started actually believing I had a middle name. I think they ended up telling my parents they didn't know I had a middle name because they hadn't given it as my name to the school and my parents were really confused. ROFL
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Darn it, I was going mention what my family's middle names were but decided against it but didn't change "that" into "what". My brother's could be considered biblical as it's one of the.. whatever they call them, sonething like chapters but not that, the others I don't remember being a part of those. OK I'll say them but won't say who's is which. Edwin, Kay, Louise and John.

Huh I didn't know that about you trying to give yourself a middle name, I assume that was in primary school. I can imagine your parents reacting like that though. XD
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Darn it, I was going mention what my family's middle names were but decided against it but didn't change "that" into "what". My brother's could be considered biblical as it's one of the.. whatever they call them, sonething like chapters but not that, the others I don't remember being a part of those. OK I'll say them but won't say who's is which. Edwin, Kay, Louise and John.

Huh I didn't know that about you trying to give yourself a middle name, I assume that was in primary school. I can imagine your parents reacting like that though. XD
Maniakkid25 Online
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,838
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
My middle name is William. I know a couple of my family's middle names. One of them is Francis, IIRC.

I actually tossed around in college the idea of calling myself by my middle name in university (I was mocked as a child for my name sounding like "gravy"), but I ultimately did not.
Maniakkid25 Online
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,838 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
My middle name is William. I know a couple of my family's middle names. One of them is Francis, IIRC.

I actually tossed around in college the idea of calling myself by my middle name in university (I was mocked as a child for my name sounding like "gravy"), but I ultimately did not.
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,960
Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
Yes, I do. I won't say what it is, because it's the sort of thing that I might have used as an answer to a security question at some point (I really hate those things, but I guess that's a matter for another thread entirely Tongue ).

I'm fine with it, although I would feel a bit weird being addressed by it!
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,960 Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
Yes, I do. I won't say what it is, because it's the sort of thing that I might have used as an answer to a security question at some point (I really hate those things, but I guess that's a matter for another thread entirely Tongue ).

I'm fine with it, although I would feel a bit weird being addressed by it!
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,231
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I happen to share my middle name with the name of the capital of a Balkan country. It was in reference to my late grandmother on my father's side, though, so unrelated to that country entirely lol

I'm almost never addressed by it in any regard. My father used to use it in that same threatening way your parents would utilize it when they were upset with you for a thing. LOL
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,231 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I happen to share my middle name with the name of the capital of a Balkan country. It was in reference to my late grandmother on my father's side, though, so unrelated to that country entirely lol

I'm almost never addressed by it in any regard. My father used to use it in that same threatening way your parents would utilize it when they were upset with you for a thing. LOL
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
(Oct 17th, 2023, 04:44 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

Yeesh, if someone tried addressing me like that, I'd be confused especially if it was only the middle name. Although would be different if they used my forename before it obviously, I'd probably take it more seriously if they knew it (if not family). I don't think not even my family have actually used my middle name calling me though. Actually in a way they have, my Dad and my mum call me "DJ" or "D", my bro "MJ" but not "M" because my sister gets called "Em", but if addressing us in a more serious tone or around others it'll be our full first name or at least my mum will. My Dad usually uses "D".
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him

Yeesh, if someone tried addressing me like that, I'd be confused especially if it was only the middle name. Although would be different if they used my forename before it obviously, I'd probably take it more seriously if they knew it (if not family). I don't think not even my family have actually used my middle name calling me though. Actually in a way they have, my Dad and my mum call me "DJ" or "D", my bro "MJ" but not "M" because my sister gets called "Em", but if addressing us in a more serious tone or around others it'll be our full first name or at least my mum will. My Dad usually uses "D".
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Oct 15th, 2023, 06:05 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Yeah it was primary school, roughly around Year 3 I think. I can't remember what made me stop caring about not having one to revert back to not pretending I have one. XD 

Also, good job not wanting to say whose middle name was whose only to give one of them away in your following post. Tongue

Use it as in by itself or in combination with your first name? Not having a middle name means I have no clue what the threatening way parents use it actually is.

(Oct 18th, 2023, 09:04 AM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
...but if addressing us in a more serious tone or around others it'll be our full first name or at least my mum will. My Dad usually uses "D".
My parents only ever address me by my full first name but that's because I don't know how else they would get my attention. They (and most others) never use a shorter version of my first name either.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Oct 15th, 2023, 06:05 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Yeah it was primary school, roughly around Year 3 I think. I can't remember what made me stop caring about not having one to revert back to not pretending I have one. XD 

Also, good job not wanting to say whose middle name was whose only to give one of them away in your following post. Tongue

Use it as in by itself or in combination with your first name? Not having a middle name means I have no clue what the threatening way parents use it actually is.

(Oct 18th, 2023, 09:04 AM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
...but if addressing us in a more serious tone or around others it'll be our full first name or at least my mum will. My Dad usually uses "D".
My parents only ever address me by my full first name but that's because I don't know how else they would get my attention. They (and most others) never use a shorter version of my first name either.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,231
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Oh, my bad, yeah I meant in conjunction with your first name. LOL

Here's a good example of it being utilized (although the last name was used here too)
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,231 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Oh, my bad, yeah I meant in conjunction with your first name. LOL

Here's a good example of it being utilized (although the last name was used here too)
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
(Oct 24th, 2023, 09:28 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Haha...yeah I'm an idiot. I knew I was doing that but still did it anyway, really should've worded it different to avoid it. Flub-a-dub-dub.  Doh

Huh, a little after I posed my previous post about parents calling me "D", realised my mum still does it too. Although it doesn't happen to me, some people get their name shortened to the first two letters so something like "Al" for Alex, Alphonse or I suppose Alison. So "Da" would be just weird. XD
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
(Oct 24th, 2023, 09:28 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Haha...yeah I'm an idiot. I knew I was doing that but still did it anyway, really should've worded it different to avoid it. Flub-a-dub-dub.  Doh

Huh, a little after I posed my previous post about parents calling me "D", realised my mum still does it too. Although it doesn't happen to me, some people get their name shortened to the first two letters so something like "Al" for Alex, Alphonse or I suppose Alison. So "Da" would be just weird. XD
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Princess Peach Showtime {PS5] FF7: Rebirth [PC] Snacko
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,920
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I actually go by my middle name since my parents thought the government just referred to you by what ever name you tell them. No, it does not as I had to tell the nurses to please call my that name instead since apparently it was "cute" my first name rhymed with my husband's last name added. Um no, just no I hate my first name do not call me that, so the nurse had to change it to my preferred middle name.

This was all during summer of 2021, when I was going though chemo during the summer.
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: ffix-p10.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Princess Peach Showtime {PS5] FF7: Rebirth [PC] Snacko
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,920 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I actually go by my middle name since my parents thought the government just referred to you by what ever name you tell them. No, it does not as I had to tell the nurses to please call my that name instead since apparently it was "cute" my first name rhymed with my husband's last name added. Um no, just no I hate my first name do not call me that, so the nurse had to change it to my preferred middle name.

This was all during summer of 2021, when I was going though chemo during the summer.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,802
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 

Ah yes, the good ol', "Oh shit they used my full name, I know I'm in trouble."

One of the three levels of knowing how much shit you're in with your parents.

Level 1 - A mild angry first name. You know you're in trouble, but that it won't be too bad.

Level 2 - An angry first, middle and last name. You know you dun fucked up and you'll probably be feeling the effects of it for a while.

Level 3 - Nothing. Just pure, silent rage. You know that you have just committed a colossal fuck up the size of Mount Everest and should probably start making your funeral arrangements.

As for the question of the topic: Yes, I have a middle name.
2023 Platinum Goal: 3/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Sword of the Vagrant
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,802 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 

Ah yes, the good ol', "Oh shit they used my full name, I know I'm in trouble."

One of the three levels of knowing how much shit you're in with your parents.

Level 1 - A mild angry first name. You know you're in trouble, but that it won't be too bad.

Level 2 - An angry first, middle and last name. You know you dun fucked up and you'll probably be feeling the effects of it for a while.

Level 3 - Nothing. Just pure, silent rage. You know that you have just committed a colossal fuck up the size of Mount Everest and should probably start making your funeral arrangements.

As for the question of the topic: Yes, I have a middle name.
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371
Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
I think it kinda interesting that your parents decided to only use the middle name as in honor of someone which is kind of a neat concept.

But like doesn't that mean your parents saying your fuill name isn't as threatening as you only have two names instead of three?

My middle name may or may not exist.
[Image: 30-humptypunch3.gif]
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371 Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
I think it kinda interesting that your parents decided to only use the middle name as in honor of someone which is kind of a neat concept.

But like doesn't that mean your parents saying your fuill name isn't as threatening as you only have two names instead of three?

My middle name may or may not exist.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
My parents have never used my full name in my entire life, even when I've on the rare occasion done stuff that has really pissed them off. It's actually an entirely new thing to me to be hearing all of you talking about your parents using your full names when you're really in trouble. XD

@Karo: By may or may not exist, I'm not sure if you're saying that because you don't know if you'll keep it since changing your first name or if you're just trying to be sneaky with us. Hmm

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
My parents have never used my full name in my entire life, even when I've on the rare occasion done stuff that has really pissed them off. It's actually an entirely new thing to me to be hearing all of you talking about your parents using your full names when you're really in trouble. XD

@Karo: By may or may not exist, I'm not sure if you're saying that because you don't know if you'll keep it since changing your first name or if you're just trying to be sneaky with us. Hmm