Sony Won’t Release Any New Major Existing Franchise Titles before April 2025
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,597
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Sony Interactive Entertainment has stated there are no plans for "any new major existing franchise titles" before March 31, 2025 during their fiscal year 2023 Q3 earnings briefing.

Hiroki Totoki Wrote:
Regarding first-party software, we aim to continue to focus on producing high-quality works and developing live service games. But while major projects are currently under development, we do not plan to release any new major existing franchise titles next fiscal year (April 1, 2024 - March 31, 2025) like God of War Ragnarök and Marvel’s Spider-Man 2.

Although the burden of acquisition related costs will ease next fiscal year, we expect profit from first-party software to decrease slightly from this fiscal year due to the impact of the decrease in sales. Due to this, operating income for the next fiscal year is currently expected to increase slightly from this fiscal year. However, while this our baseline, we are reviewing measures for further improvement in profitability in advance of the annual forecast results announcement this May.
For clarification, anything that is a new IP does not fall under this plan nor any IP that are not viewed by SIE as major franchises. Hiroki Totoki also commented on the future outlook of sales for the PlayStation 5, as well as his experience in the role of chairman since taking the position in October 2023, which can be read in the same article that reported this story: https://www.gematsu.com/2024/02/sony-int...ch-31-2025

I'm not really surprised about this. I can't even think of a major IP Sony has under their belt that hasn't had a recent entry. Hmm
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,597 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Sony Interactive Entertainment has stated there are no plans for "any new major existing franchise titles" before March 31, 2025 during their fiscal year 2023 Q3 earnings briefing.

Hiroki Totoki Wrote:
Regarding first-party software, we aim to continue to focus on producing high-quality works and developing live service games. But while major projects are currently under development, we do not plan to release any new major existing franchise titles next fiscal year (April 1, 2024 - March 31, 2025) like God of War Ragnarök and Marvel’s Spider-Man 2.

Although the burden of acquisition related costs will ease next fiscal year, we expect profit from first-party software to decrease slightly from this fiscal year due to the impact of the decrease in sales. Due to this, operating income for the next fiscal year is currently expected to increase slightly from this fiscal year. However, while this our baseline, we are reviewing measures for further improvement in profitability in advance of the annual forecast results announcement this May.
For clarification, anything that is a new IP does not fall under this plan nor any IP that are not viewed by SIE as major franchises. Hiroki Totoki also commented on the future outlook of sales for the PlayStation 5, as well as his experience in the role of chairman since taking the position in October 2023, which can be read in the same article that reported this story: https://www.gematsu.com/2024/02/sony-int...ch-31-2025

I'm not really surprised about this. I can't even think of a major IP Sony has under their belt that hasn't had a recent entry. Hmm

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sony to Retire PlayStation Plus Collection Moonface 1 596 Feb 1st, 2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  Sony Finally Offers PSN ID Changes Moonface 5 7,812 Apr 12th, 2019, 09:30 PM
Last Post: Mr EliteL