Best/Worst DLC?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,643
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I'm currently playing through The Lost Artifact DLC for Tomb Raider III Remastered, which I never got to play back when it originally released because the DLC was exclusive to the PC version of the game and I've only ever played the Tomb Raider games on PlayStation. I've already gone through the two DLC packs for TR1 and TR2, and I was already feeling iffy about the level design in those but The Lost Artifact is such a strange DLC I can't even decide if it's good or not.

The biggest gripe I have with it so far is it feels like what I'd expect from a user created set of fan levels. Visually they're incredibly basic compared to the levels in the base game of TR3, but even if they were designed on-par to the base game there are so many utterly random things going on. The first two levels take place in Scotland, and the second level opens with an in-game cutscene of a Scottish highlander just sitting on a ledge. I thought he was going to be a notable character for the level, but nope; they never show up at any point. Unless, you find a key to unlock the last secret in the level, which upon using it spawns in multiple Scottish highlander looking enemies to attack you. I have no idea what the lore is meant to be for this, and it's like the developers who did this DLC just thought "Ooh it's in Scotland so we should throw in every stereotypical thing we can", because even the Loch Ness monster just appears in these levels too.
Level 3 then just takes place in the Euro Tunnel, but the final secret of this level has you flood a pit, swim through a tunnel in this pit, and where else do you surface except a volcanic prehistoric landscape complete with an actual skybox despite the fact this entire area is incredibly far underground! Just look at this stupid shit: https://tombraiders.net/stella/walks/TRL...ff-12.html

It's just full of stuff that was just tossed in for no reason other than the devs thought it would be cool, and even if that wasn't in it the level design is so sloppy I'm surprised Eidos and Core even accepted the work from whatever studio they had make this stuff. I went into these three DLC's excited to play new stuff but the decline in quality for each one is so extreme I'm not surprised TR4 and TR5 never got DLC expansions. I'm just happy this stuff was included with games I would have bought either way and that I didn't spend extra money on it, otherwise my views on it would be way more negative.

Anyway, I totally didn't make this thread just to get that off my chest. Well I mean I did but I do also wanna just talk about DLC for games and whether it was good or not. Whistle
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,643 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I'm currently playing through The Lost Artifact DLC for Tomb Raider III Remastered, which I never got to play back when it originally released because the DLC was exclusive to the PC version of the game and I've only ever played the Tomb Raider games on PlayStation. I've already gone through the two DLC packs for TR1 and TR2, and I was already feeling iffy about the level design in those but The Lost Artifact is such a strange DLC I can't even decide if it's good or not.

The biggest gripe I have with it so far is it feels like what I'd expect from a user created set of fan levels. Visually they're incredibly basic compared to the levels in the base game of TR3, but even if they were designed on-par to the base game there are so many utterly random things going on. The first two levels take place in Scotland, and the second level opens with an in-game cutscene of a Scottish highlander just sitting on a ledge. I thought he was going to be a notable character for the level, but nope; they never show up at any point. Unless, you find a key to unlock the last secret in the level, which upon using it spawns in multiple Scottish highlander looking enemies to attack you. I have no idea what the lore is meant to be for this, and it's like the developers who did this DLC just thought "Ooh it's in Scotland so we should throw in every stereotypical thing we can", because even the Loch Ness monster just appears in these levels too.
Level 3 then just takes place in the Euro Tunnel, but the final secret of this level has you flood a pit, swim through a tunnel in this pit, and where else do you surface except a volcanic prehistoric landscape complete with an actual skybox despite the fact this entire area is incredibly far underground! Just look at this stupid shit: https://tombraiders.net/stella/walks/TRL...ff-12.html

It's just full of stuff that was just tossed in for no reason other than the devs thought it would be cool, and even if that wasn't in it the level design is so sloppy I'm surprised Eidos and Core even accepted the work from whatever studio they had make this stuff. I went into these three DLC's excited to play new stuff but the decline in quality for each one is so extreme I'm not surprised TR4 and TR5 never got DLC expansions. I'm just happy this stuff was included with games I would have bought either way and that I didn't spend extra money on it, otherwise my views on it would be way more negative.

Anyway, I totally didn't make this thread just to get that off my chest. Well I mean I did but I do also wanna just talk about DLC for games and whether it was good or not. Whistle
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Stellar Blade | Sword of the Necromancer | Bravely Default II | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,818
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Bloodborne's The Old Hunters DLC is probably the absolute best example in all of gaming on how to make a DLC a solid 1,000/10. I don't think we'll ever see a DLC that elevated an already amazing game to absolute god status like The Old Hunters did.
2023 Platinum Goal: 3/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Sword of the Vagrant
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Stellar Blade | Sword of the Necromancer | Bravely Default II | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,818 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Bloodborne's The Old Hunters DLC is probably the absolute best example in all of gaming on how to make a DLC a solid 1,000/10. I don't think we'll ever see a DLC that elevated an already amazing game to absolute god status like The Old Hunters did.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,643
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I've never managed to convince myself to get the DLC for Bloodborne despite really enjoying the base game. I think that's mostly because the majority of what I first heard/saw about it was that Orphan of Kos is awful and seeing people who aren't even bad at the Souls games rage quitting against that boss which just makes it hard for me to think of the DLC as actually enjoyable. LOL

I'm curious @Dragon Lord, how would you rank the FromSoft DLC's against each other?
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,643 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I've never managed to convince myself to get the DLC for Bloodborne despite really enjoying the base game. I think that's mostly because the majority of what I first heard/saw about it was that Orphan of Kos is awful and seeing people who aren't even bad at the Souls games rage quitting against that boss which just makes it hard for me to think of the DLC as actually enjoyable. LOL

I'm curious @Dragon Lord, how would you rank the FromSoft DLC's against each other?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pitch A Game/DLC Idea Moonface 6 6,324 Apr 27th, 2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Worst (Cyber) Attack to a Game Company? Moonface 4 338 Dec 22nd, 2023, 07:29 PM
  What was the worst incident of spoilers that ever happened to you? popopdc 1 602 Oct 22nd, 2022, 08:15 PM
  Worst Game Launch? Moonface 24 18,780 Sep 7th, 2022, 08:28 PM
  Best/Worst Sections in Games Moonface 14 9,758 Jul 14th, 2022, 01:23 AM
Last Post: WR91