Rumour: Microsoft's Next Console To Have Local and Cloud Variations
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
As the title suggests, this is currently a rumour but I found it interesting enough to discuss the pros and cons of Microsoft's possible approach to their next Xbox consoles.

Thurrott has reported that Microsoft is planning to make a traditional console as well as a streaming box as a cheaper option. As you would expect, the traditional console will be what you expect from a console. The cheaper, streaming box option though "is a lower-powered device that is currently planned to ship with the next generation device that is designed for game-streaming.

The cloud console will have a limited amount of compute locally for specific tasks like controller input, image processing, and importantly, collision detection. The downside of this is that it since more hardware is needed locally, it will raise the price of the streaming box but it will still cost significantly less than what we are accustomed to paying for a new-generation console which should help expand the platform’s reach."

My Take:
I think the idea of the cheaper console is neat, but it relies on internet providers very heavily. Data usage could come into play, as well as internet speeds, and those are things Microsoft have zero control or say over. You may be able to afford the streaming console, but find your internet isn't up to the task of streaming the games to play them comfortably.

Whether it works or not wouldn't matter to me because if I were to buy the next Xbox console (highly doubtful) I'd get the one that lets me own the games and play them whenever I want even without an internet connection, but I do wonder if the cheaper option exists because the traditional console is going to be rather expensive. Hmm
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
As the title suggests, this is currently a rumour but I found it interesting enough to discuss the pros and cons of Microsoft's possible approach to their next Xbox consoles.

Thurrott has reported that Microsoft is planning to make a traditional console as well as a streaming box as a cheaper option. As you would expect, the traditional console will be what you expect from a console. The cheaper, streaming box option though "is a lower-powered device that is currently planned to ship with the next generation device that is designed for game-streaming.

The cloud console will have a limited amount of compute locally for specific tasks like controller input, image processing, and importantly, collision detection. The downside of this is that it since more hardware is needed locally, it will raise the price of the streaming box but it will still cost significantly less than what we are accustomed to paying for a new-generation console which should help expand the platform’s reach."

My Take:
I think the idea of the cheaper console is neat, but it relies on internet providers very heavily. Data usage could come into play, as well as internet speeds, and those are things Microsoft have zero control or say over. You may be able to afford the streaming console, but find your internet isn't up to the task of streaming the games to play them comfortably.

Whether it works or not wouldn't matter to me because if I were to buy the next Xbox console (highly doubtful) I'd get the one that lets me own the games and play them whenever I want even without an internet connection, but I do wonder if the cheaper option exists because the traditional console is going to be rather expensive. Hmm
lp0 on fire Offline
PC Load Letter WTF does that mean?!
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
XP: 3,152
Uncharted Tomb Raider Tekken 
If the rumor is true, this is once again Redwood showing their bloody fucking arrogance about places outside of Redwood and Silicon Valley, like they did with XBone with their plans of "Always online DRM" and other bullshit.

My fucking ISP for some stupid reason imposes an artificial 1TB cap per month, Hulu/netflix useage + 4 comptuers running windows 10 and its bullshit updates already kill that cap every month so we go over.

But no its not like most places in the us are limited to slow(er) internet due to ISP corruption and also just being IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE where your choices are dial up or satellite internet.

There have been gaming streaming services in the past and they fell flat because of lag, it doesn't really matter how far away, lag will get to you especially with how most of the US' internet infrastructure is set up.

Also here is a professional IT image for ya'll
[Image: TD5jAf8.jpg]

Buut Percussive "The consumer should be informed about their needs...blah blah blah...its their fault for buying something that isn't suited...blah blah blah"

I would normally agree but 1) MS has done shady shit in the past,
2) the pushback from it the first time (XBOne) was already a "OH HELL NO" and they are trying it again
3) Sadly informed consumerism is a myth for the population at large case study my mother: She kept on picking out microwaves that didn't fit the needs of the household that was using it and if she was allowed to act on her own she would have picked one that was under powered AND had horrible reviews because it was CHEAPER then the rest.
4)We all know the misinformed (grand)parents will get little BIlly and Judy who live in the middle of the country the one that will not fit their needs, because of deceptive marketing from Redwood.

Zaythus Network Community Lifeboat man I suck at advertising stuff...
[Image: pcmascot.png]
Putting the 'Percussive' in 'Maintenance' since Before (most of) you were born.
Any post do not reflect the views of Zaythus Netwroks Inc nor it's new Murderous OverLoard Tap A Talk (hereby referred to as "TAT").
Any posts do not necessary reflect the views of the poster, after all he does shitpost from time to time, like right now.

Percussive maintenance - the art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work again.
We need Tables!
The community's grumpy old man who goes on long winded rants.
WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
[Image: BDay-18-2nd.png]
[Image: ZUW3rka.gif]
Spooky scary skeletons
Send shivers down your spine
Shrieking skulls will shock your soul
Seal your doom tonight
[Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_qbGJuxCYY]
https://i.imgur.com/DVjkd5Z.gif
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
XP: 3,152 Uncharted Tomb Raider Tekken 
If the rumor is true, this is once again Redwood showing their bloody fucking arrogance about places outside of Redwood and Silicon Valley, like they did with XBone with their plans of "Always online DRM" and other bullshit.

My fucking ISP for some stupid reason imposes an artificial 1TB cap per month, Hulu/netflix useage + 4 comptuers running windows 10 and its bullshit updates already kill that cap every month so we go over.

But no its not like most places in the us are limited to slow(er) internet due to ISP corruption and also just being IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE where your choices are dial up or satellite internet.

There have been gaming streaming services in the past and they fell flat because of lag, it doesn't really matter how far away, lag will get to you especially with how most of the US' internet infrastructure is set up.

Also here is a professional IT image for ya'll
[Image: TD5jAf8.jpg]

Buut Percussive "The consumer should be informed about their needs...blah blah blah...its their fault for buying something that isn't suited...blah blah blah"

I would normally agree but 1) MS has done shady shit in the past,
2) the pushback from it the first time (XBOne) was already a "OH HELL NO" and they are trying it again
3) Sadly informed consumerism is a myth for the population at large case study my mother: She kept on picking out microwaves that didn't fit the needs of the household that was using it and if she was allowed to act on her own she would have picked one that was under powered AND had horrible reviews because it was CHEAPER then the rest.
4)We all know the misinformed (grand)parents will get little BIlly and Judy who live in the middle of the country the one that will not fit their needs, because of deceptive marketing from Redwood.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I think the only thing that will stop everyone ripping the streaming console to shreds like the XBO is because it isn't the sole option. People will still criticise it but Microsoft won't be forced to change it because it's the only console choice.

It would absolutely need to be clear to consumers on what it is at all times so that their brand isn't tarnished from the backlash that would occur from confused buyers. I'd also like to know what Microsoft would do when the servers go down due to high usage or an attack. No matter what you do you can never guarantee constant uptime.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I think the only thing that will stop everyone ripping the streaming console to shreds like the XBO is because it isn't the sole option. People will still criticise it but Microsoft won't be forced to change it because it's the only console choice.

It would absolutely need to be clear to consumers on what it is at all times so that their brand isn't tarnished from the backlash that would occur from confused buyers. I'd also like to know what Microsoft would do when the servers go down due to high usage or an attack. No matter what you do you can never guarantee constant uptime.
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
(Jul 23rd, 2018, 09:25 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Don't you leave the North American Fiber-Seeking Backhoe! Oh and random internet outages because Level3/CentryLink (which is a major part of the US internet backbone) likes to go down! Oh and ComCrap random outages just because!

Oh and MS own ineptitude

Any post do not reflect the views of Zaythus Netwroks Inc nor it's new Murderous OverLoard Tap A Talk (hereby referred to as "TAT").
Any posts do not necessary reflect the views of the poster, after all he does shitpost from time to time, like right now.

Percussive maintenance - the art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work again.
We need Tables!
WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
Spooky scary skeletons
Seal your doom tonight
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
(Jul 23rd, 2018, 09:25 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Don't you leave the North American Fiber-Seeking Backhoe! Oh and random internet outages because Level3/CentryLink (which is a major part of the US internet backbone) likes to go down! Oh and ComCrap random outages just because!

Oh and MS own ineptitude
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
XP: 5,252
Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
I don't see how any idea like this one could even be conceived (let alone pushed into the market) with heavy reliance on the user's internet capabilities as a key part of the whole thing.

Seriously, I have a terribly restrictive data cap (is not even two digits on GBs allowed per month) and my internet is shared with two Smart TVs, a PS4 user and a Netflix user... I would be burning my money in more than one way with this.

Give me offline gaming and let's call it a deal.
When leaves have fallen.
And skies turned to grey.
The night keeps on closing in on the day.
A nightingale sings his song of farewell.
You better hide from her freezing hell. ~ Ice Queen, Within Temptation.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
XP: 5,252 Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
I don't see how any idea like this one could even be conceived (let alone pushed into the market) with heavy reliance on the user's internet capabilities as a key part of the whole thing.

Seriously, I have a terribly restrictive data cap (is not even two digits on GBs allowed per month) and my internet is shared with two Smart TVs, a PS4 user and a Netflix user... I would be burning my money in more than one way with this.

lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
(Jul 24th, 2018, 12:25 AM)Nightingale Wrote:

I have 3 smart TVs, a ton of computers (Thanks being in IT with my dad also...), and 3 phones in our houses network + who knows what else. 1TB isn't enough.

They are conceived because Silicon Valley and Redmond are little spears of "high tech everything" and they do not often go outside their bubble of protection from the low tech peasants.

We need Tables!
Spooky scary skeletons
Seal your doom tonight
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race

I have 3 smart TVs, a ton of computers (Thanks being in IT with my dad also...), and 3 phones in our houses network + who knows what else. 1TB isn't enough.

They are conceived because Silicon Valley and Redmond are little spears of "high tech everything" and they do not often go outside their bubble of protection from the low tech peasants.
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
(Jul 24th, 2018, 12:50 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:

See? You and I are both out as potential costumers way before the console is even announced. That's some genius idea right there.

I expect every Verizon/ComCast user to be as pleased as we both are.
When leaves have fallen.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing

See? You and I are both out as potential costumers way before the console is even announced. That's some genius idea right there.

lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
(Jul 24th, 2018, 01:01 AM)Nightingale Wrote:

And like every other major ISP.

There is an ISP over in my area that doesnt do caps, but does my dad actually switch over? Noooooo! <_<

We need Tables!
Spooky scary skeletons
Seal your doom tonight
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
(Jul 24th, 2018, 01:01 AM)Nightingale Wrote:

And like every other major ISP.

There is an ISP over in my area that doesnt do caps, but does my dad actually switch over? Noooooo! <_<
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Offline would still be a thing because there are two console options. One is streaming, one is not.
I also would hope a streaming based console would make the games a lot cheaper, as you don't own them and are essentially renting them. I wouldn't get any console like it because no internet turns the console into a brick, and you could find access to certain games is removed when they become old and get removed from servers because no one plays them enough, much like the online component to multi-player games.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Offline would still be a thing because there are two console options. One is streaming, one is not.
I also would hope a streaming based console would make the games a lot cheaper, as you don't own them and are essentially renting them. I wouldn't get any console like it because no internet turns the console into a brick, and you could find access to certain games is removed when they become old and get removed from servers because no one plays them enough, much like the online component to multi-player games.
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
(Aug 1st, 2018, 07:17 PM)Moonface Wrote:
I also would hope a streaming based console would make the games a lot cheaper, as you don't own them and are essentially renting them.

You are "renting" them anyways per the EULA (which is shit).
And the people said the same thing about digital distribution ("Oh it will be cheaper then going to a physical store!")
Instead I get to pay the same price on release with nothing to justify the cost (i.e. no box/physical manual, Feelies (warning, TV Tropes) .

We need Tables!
Spooky scary skeletons
Seal your doom tonight
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
(Aug 1st, 2018, 07:17 PM)Moonface Wrote:
I also would hope a streaming based console would make the games a lot cheaper, as you don't own them and are essentially renting them.

You are "renting" them anyways per the EULA (which is shit).
And the people said the same thing about digital distribution ("Oh it will be cheaper then going to a physical store!")
Instead I get to pay the same price on release with nothing to justify the cost (i.e. no box/physical manual, Feelies (warning, TV Tropes) .
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
At least with a digital purchase you get to keep it. A streaming service can take content away whenever it wants to, and charging the same price for that as owning the content would negate the point of making it a cheaper end system. You'd be paying a little less up front to rent games at the same cost as owning them. People hated the idea of the original Xbox One, and doing the same but with a cheaper console wouldn't magically make it appealing.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
At least with a digital purchase you get to keep it. A streaming service can take content away whenever it wants to, and charging the same price for that as owning the content would negate the point of making it a cheaper end system. You'd be paying a little less up front to rent games at the same cost as owning them. People hated the idea of the original Xbox One, and doing the same but with a cheaper console wouldn't magically make it appealing.
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
(Aug 1st, 2018, 09:20 PM)Moonface Wrote:

If steam goes out of business Im shit out of luck, GOG might be okay if I remember to download every game before they close.

with physical, at lease you always had that tape/floppy/CD/DVD you could go to.

We need Tables!
Spooky scary skeletons
Seal your doom tonight
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
(Aug 1st, 2018, 09:20 PM)Moonface Wrote:

If steam goes out of business Im shit out of luck, GOG might be okay if I remember to download every game before they close.

with physical, at lease you always had that tape/floppy/CD/DVD you could go to.
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
I'm very tired of this persistent trend of having the user be less and less of an owner of the things they have bought.
When leaves have fallen.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
I'm very tired of this persistent trend of having the user be less and less of an owner of the things they have bought.
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
(Aug 2nd, 2018, 12:35 AM)Nightingale Wrote:

^ Seconded and Thirded and Infinity-ed?

And It forces me to admit "Stallman is right" Augh.

We need Tables!
Spooky scary skeletons
Seal your doom tonight
lp0 on fire Offline
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
(Aug 2nd, 2018, 12:35 AM)Nightingale Wrote:

^ Seconded and Thirded and Infinity-ed?

And It forces me to admit "Stallman is right" Augh.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Pokemon Scarlet/Violet: DLC [PS5] Star Trek: Resurgence [PC] FFX
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
The only reason the 'gaming' companies don't want you to own their thing is so that they have more power over what you end up getting. If you have this cloud powered abomination of a video game console, then anything you download you can't trade in. Games have become a thing to trade in for credit at a lot of stores, BUT one thing you can't trade in is that download code. So of course they want to go with this business model cause then they get to cut out the middle man while RISING the prices. To THEM it's a win win situation.

In the end, it's not going to work though because not every one is able to afford that high end wifi & will just skip out on that new XBOX ONE20 console cause it's just easier & CHEAPER to get their games through STEAM or GOG sales anyway.
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: dj8g30-f027a6f5-6621-48fd-98ef-d91107be781c.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Pokemon Scarlet/Violet: DLC [PS5] Star Trek: Resurgence [PC] FFX
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
The only reason the 'gaming' companies don't want you to own their thing is so that they have more power over what you end up getting. If you have this cloud powered abomination of a video game console, then anything you download you can't trade in. Games have become a thing to trade in for credit at a lot of stores, BUT one thing you can't trade in is that download code. So of course they want to go with this business model cause then they get to cut out the middle man while RISING the prices. To THEM it's a win win situation.

In the end, it's not going to work though because not every one is able to afford that high end wifi & will just skip out on that new XBOX ONE20 console cause it's just easier & CHEAPER to get their games through STEAM or GOG sales anyway.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If a Third-Party Publisher Made a Console... Moonface 4 164 Mar 9th, 2024, 01:17 AM
Last Post: Moonface
  Microsoft Potentially Ditching Physical Media Entirely? Moonface 7 303 Feb 2nd, 2024, 12:11 AM
  Which Console Had The Best Launch Line-Up? Moonface 3 530 Sep 15th, 2023, 09:02 PM
  If Sega Didn't Leave The Console Business When They Did? Moonface 0 439 Jun 10th, 2023, 11:18 PM
  Do You Use Console Screenshot/Video Capture? Moonface 4 795 May 27th, 2023, 05:36 PM
Last Post: Dragon Lord