What a Controller Could Look Like 10 Years From Now
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Dead Space (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,378
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Sony recently put together a video that envisions the future of technology ten years from now through the concept of "Creative Entertainment Vision". Within it, there's a moment that shows a futuristic PlayStation controller:

[Image: ecnRt4I.png]

While it's obviously not an actual product pitch, I thought it would still be fun to see what everyone would think if a controller like this was actually a reality some day. So what do you think about it? Tongue
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,378 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Sony recently put together a video that envisions the future of technology ten years from now through the concept of "Creative Entertainment Vision". Within it, there's a moment that shows a futuristic PlayStation controller:

[Image: ecnRt4I.png]

While it's obviously not an actual product pitch, I thought it would still be fun to see what everyone would think if a controller like this was actually a reality some day. So what do you think about it? Tongue
ShiraNoMai Offline
πŸ–€πŸ€πŸ’œ / πŸ©·πŸ’›πŸ’™
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (PC) | Cassette Beasts (PC) | For The King (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,756
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I.... don't understand the central piece. Is it the thing projecting the screen? Huh
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
πŸ–€πŸ€πŸ’œ / πŸ©·πŸ’›πŸ’™
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (PC) | Cassette Beasts (PC) | For The King (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,756 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I.... don't understand the central piece. Is it the thing projecting the screen? Huh
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,378
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Jun 2nd, 2024, 02:15 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
I think the controller is projecting the image yeah, although that obviously wouldn't be feasible to the degree the video shows no matter how much time passes I think. It would be a neat way to have a handheld console though, especially if you could adjust the size of the projection depending on where you are so you're not stuck with a single resolution. Tongue
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,378 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Jun 2nd, 2024, 02:15 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
I think the controller is projecting the image yeah, although that obviously wouldn't be feasible to the degree the video shows no matter how much time passes I think. It would be a neat way to have a handheld console though, especially if you could adjust the size of the projection depending on where you are so you're not stuck with a single resolution. Tongue
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,359
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I'd rather not think about what gaming could look like in the future, don't want to hope for anything really, but at least an actual controller to hold with both hands might still be a thing, because I'm still old-school and prefer pads, the other alternatives to me just haven't felt comfortable enough though do still use some.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,359 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I'd rather not think about what gaming could look like in the future, don't want to hope for anything really, but at least an actual controller to hold with both hands might still be a thing, because I'm still old-school and prefer pads, the other alternatives to me just haven't felt comfortable enough though do still use some.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Princess Peach Showtime {PS5] FF7: Rebirth [PC] Snacko
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 10,043
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
So is that person in a holodeck or something. Tongue I'd say the closest thing would be sometime like these glasses I see advertised all the time where you can put them on and play whatever game you want on them (for example: viture).

Because I don't think we'll really see what Sony showed unless technology starts really going into the glass and no one seems to want to place tech in glass or plastic. Even then it wouldn't look as nice as that, it would be a bit clunky I feel for a while before the technology for it was ironed out. Tongue But I also don't think we're that far advanced in gaming tech as we would like either. We're still confined to our houses, what it looks like is they are playing a game at a game. Which would be hard to do with something so fiddly looking. (impo) The only thing that could survive actually being played at an outdoor venue atmo would be a Switch in reality or an old school 3DS.

Still, the idea of what gaming looks like in the future is nice. We just have to actually GET there, and I don't think we're quite there yet. But maybe one day someone will invent wizard tech and we'll be fine. lol
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: ffix-p10.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Princess Peach Showtime {PS5] FF7: Rebirth [PC] Snacko
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 10,043 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
So is that person in a holodeck or something. Tongue I'd say the closest thing would be sometime like these glasses I see advertised all the time where you can put them on and play whatever game you want on them (for example: viture).

Because I don't think we'll really see what Sony showed unless technology starts really going into the glass and no one seems to want to place tech in glass or plastic. Even then it wouldn't look as nice as that, it would be a bit clunky I feel for a while before the technology for it was ironed out. Tongue But I also don't think we're that far advanced in gaming tech as we would like either. We're still confined to our houses, what it looks like is they are playing a game at a game. Which would be hard to do with something so fiddly looking. (impo) The only thing that could survive actually being played at an outdoor venue atmo would be a Switch in reality or an old school 3DS.

Still, the idea of what gaming looks like in the future is nice. We just have to actually GET there, and I don't think we're quite there yet. But maybe one day someone will invent wizard tech and we'll be fine. lol
calamarik Offline
Newcomer
Currently Playing
Ghost of Tsushima
Favourite Platform(s)
PS4
XP: 1,190
Those VR headsets you see around are cool, but not exactly comfy beach companions, right? Switch and 3DS definitely win for on-the-go gaming for now.

The good news is, tech can jump leaps and bounds sometimes! Maybe those "magic glasses" they showed won't be such a fantasy in a few years. VR could develop way faster than we expect
calamarik Offline
Newcomer
Currently Playing
Ghost of Tsushima
Favourite Platform(s)
PS4
XP: 1,190
Those VR headsets you see around are cool, but not exactly comfy beach companions, right? Switch and 3DS definitely win for on-the-go gaming for now.

The good news is, tech can jump leaps and bounds sometimes! Maybe those "magic glasses" they showed won't be such a fantasy in a few years. VR could develop way faster than we expect

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PC Gaming - Mouse/Keyboard or Controller? Moonface 7 431 Apr 12th, 2024, 09:06 PM
Last Post: Dragon Lord
  Project Leonardo: PlayStation's new controller for players with disabilities aerodynamik 7 4,816 Jan 15th, 2023, 10:20 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  What’s the β€œCorrect” Way to Hold an N64 Controller? Moonface 8 1,805 Oct 1st, 2022, 10:56 PM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  Controller Shortages Incoming? Moonface 3 1,104 Jun 22nd, 2022, 04:51 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Nintendo Switch is 5 Years Old Today Moonface 6 2,103 Mar 7th, 2022, 08:13 AM
Last Post: Dragon Lord