If a Third-Party Publisher Made a Console...
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,552
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
If a third-party publisher i.e. Ubisoft, Capcom, Bandai Namco, Take Two, etc. were to make a console, which:
  1. Do you think would be the most successful?
  2. Would be the one you would want to buy even if another third party publisher could be more successful instead?
Also this isn't meant to necessarily try and compete with the current consoles out there, because I know in that case nothing would stand a chance. I just thought this would be a fun hypothetical since Sega were a console maker and became just a publisher so I was thinking of what if the opposite happened instead. Tongue
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,552 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
If a third-party publisher i.e. Ubisoft, Capcom, Bandai Namco, Take Two, etc. were to make a console, which:
  1. Do you think would be the most successful?
  2. Would be the one you would want to buy even if another third party publisher could be more successful instead?
Also this isn't meant to necessarily try and compete with the current consoles out there, because I know in that case nothing would stand a chance. I just thought this would be a fun hypothetical since Sega were a console maker and became just a publisher so I was thinking of what if the opposite happened instead. Tongue
ShiraNoMai Online
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,219
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Out of all of those, Bandai Namco would probably be the one to do it successfully. Out of everyone there, they're the only ones with their hands in physical media of every kind. They're well-versed in licensing IPs and have experience in hardware.

EA would be the one I would dread something like this from. That thing would just milk you for everything you had and then some Errm
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Online
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,219 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Out of all of those, Bandai Namco would probably be the one to do it successfully. Out of everyone there, they're the only ones with their hands in physical media of every kind. They're well-versed in licensing IPs and have experience in hardware.

EA would be the one I would dread something like this from. That thing would just milk you for everything you had and then some Errm
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Princess Peach Showtime {PS5] FF7: Rebirth [PC] Snacko
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,920
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I think if Square Enix made a console for some reason, I imagine it would look like Cloud's Sword or something else ridiculous. But if SE released a third-party console, I'd buy it. I mean I hate they're into nfts but damn it I love their games.
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: ffix-p10.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Princess Peach Showtime {PS5] FF7: Rebirth [PC] Snacko
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,920 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I think if Square Enix made a console for some reason, I imagine it would look like Cloud's Sword or something else ridiculous. But if SE released a third-party console, I'd buy it. I mean I hate they're into nfts but damn it I love their games.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,838
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
The only one's of the list recommended I'd trust to make decent hardware is Bandai Namco, and that's because they've done it before. And no, I don't just mean the little toys like Tamagotchi and Digimon; I mean an actual games console. Anyone else rememeber the Wonderswan? Because I sure as hell do as the perennial Digimon fanboy that I am (like, 4 Digimon games are Wonderswan exclusives)! Then again, it never made it out if the Asian market (It DID make it out if Japan and into Hong Kong, and there is a TALE to that!), so maybe that's why you never heard of it. Either way, it's a cult classic system that tried to take on the GBA and failed because, well, it was taking on the GBA. I mean, have you seen those sales figures?! But, for its time, it was an innovative piece of kit with two ways to play it: vertical and horizontal! Not that you could switch on the fly like modern phones; these were built into the game. It's actually a really cool system, and if Bandai Namco were to try again, I'd be down for it.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,838 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
The only one's of the list recommended I'd trust to make decent hardware is Bandai Namco, and that's because they've done it before. And no, I don't just mean the little toys like Tamagotchi and Digimon; I mean an actual games console. Anyone else rememeber the Wonderswan? Because I sure as hell do as the perennial Digimon fanboy that I am (like, 4 Digimon games are Wonderswan exclusives)! Then again, it never made it out if the Asian market (It DID make it out if Japan and into Hong Kong, and there is a TALE to that!), so maybe that's why you never heard of it. Either way, it's a cult classic system that tried to take on the GBA and failed because, well, it was taking on the GBA. I mean, have you seen those sales figures?! But, for its time, it was an innovative piece of kit with two ways to play it: vertical and horizontal! Not that you could switch on the fly like modern phones; these were built into the game. It's actually a really cool system, and if Bandai Namco were to try again, I'd be down for it.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,552
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Feb 18th, 2024, 02:13 AM)queenzelda Wrote:
But if SE released a third-party console, I'd buy it. I mean I hate they're into nfts but damn it I love their games.
I'd imagine it would be like the PlayStation Stars program except the digital rewards are actual NFT's like people initially feared that program was going to be.

(Feb 17th, 2024, 04:06 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Yeah, I could imagine Bandai Namco having a good shot at doing a console because like Sega they have/had their own arcade cabinets. Capcom would be the only other publisher that may have a similar shot but I think out of those three companies they had the least amount of arcade games.

(Feb 18th, 2024, 02:46 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
Huh, I've never heard of that system before and seeing it for the first time the design of it is pretty slick. I wonder if Bandai Namco would have ever released it worldwide if it had been more successful and/or Nintendo weren't part of the handheld market already? Hmm
Also it's wild to me that SquareSoft going back to Nintendo is cited as a key factor in diminishing sales for the WonderSwan when a reason SquareSoft ditched Nintendo was because they continued to use carts. LOL
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,552 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Feb 18th, 2024, 02:13 AM)queenzelda Wrote:
But if SE released a third-party console, I'd buy it. I mean I hate they're into nfts but damn it I love their games.
I'd imagine it would be like the PlayStation Stars program except the digital rewards are actual NFT's like people initially feared that program was going to be.

(Feb 17th, 2024, 04:06 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Yeah, I could imagine Bandai Namco having a good shot at doing a console because like Sega they have/had their own arcade cabinets. Capcom would be the only other publisher that may have a similar shot but I think out of those three companies they had the least amount of arcade games.

(Feb 18th, 2024, 02:46 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
Huh, I've never heard of that system before and seeing it for the first time the design of it is pretty slick. I wonder if Bandai Namco would have ever released it worldwide if it had been more successful and/or Nintendo weren't part of the handheld market already? Hmm
Also it's wild to me that SquareSoft going back to Nintendo is cited as a key factor in diminishing sales for the WonderSwan when a reason SquareSoft ditched Nintendo was because they continued to use carts. LOL

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which Console Had The Best Launch Line-Up? Moonface 3 567 Sep 15th, 2023, 09:02 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  If Sega Didn't Leave The Console Business When They Did? Moonface 0 465 Jun 10th, 2023, 11:18 PM
  Do You Use Console Screenshot/Video Capture? Moonface 4 863 May 27th, 2023, 05:36 PM
Last Post: Dragon Lord
  Console Libraries: Quality or Quantity? Moonface 1 530 May 10th, 2023, 06:25 PM
Last Post: Dragon Lord
  Do You Keep Your Console Packaging? Moonface 8 1,618 Mar 12th, 2023, 08:13 PM