PlayStation 5 | Pro Spec Analysis
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,649
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Details and Pricing Shared for Dedicated "Remote Play" Device PlayStation Portal
Sony has officially shared the full details for PlayStation Portal, the first Remote Play dedicated device that we got a sneak peek of back in May when it was codenamed Project Q.

[Image: 7z0kj95.png]

As stated on the PlayStation Blog, the PlayStation Portal will comes with an 8-inch LCD screen capable of 1080p resolution at 60fps, with the controller on either side of the screen offering all of the features a standard DualSense controller offers, including adaptive triggers and haptic feedback. It also includes a 3.5mm audio jack for wired audio.

The device is designed purely for Remote Play, and as such is not a dedicated portable gaming device. PlayStation Portal will connect remotely to your PS5 over Wi-Fi, allowing you to switch to it quickly when you want to play your PS5 games elsewhere in your house or are unable to use a TV. Only games that are installed on your PS5 console and use the DualSense controller are supported. PS VR2 games, and games that are streamed through PlayStation Plus Premium's cloud streaming, are not supported.

PlayStation Portal remote player will launch later this year for 199.99 USD | 219.99 EURO | 199.99 GBP | 29,980 YEN.

I was already expecting this to be Remote Play only when the original sneak peek was shown, and I wasn't far from guessing the price point since I said it would be at least $179. I would never pay $200 for this thing though; it isn't worth that much money to just be able to play PS5 games away from a TV. Errm
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,649 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Details and Pricing Shared for Dedicated "Remote Play" Device PlayStation Portal
Sony has officially shared the full details for PlayStation Portal, the first Remote Play dedicated device that we got a sneak peek of back in May when it was codenamed Project Q.

[Image: 7z0kj95.png]

As stated on the PlayStation Blog, the PlayStation Portal will comes with an 8-inch LCD screen capable of 1080p resolution at 60fps, with the controller on either side of the screen offering all of the features a standard DualSense controller offers, including adaptive triggers and haptic feedback. It also includes a 3.5mm audio jack for wired audio.

The device is designed purely for Remote Play, and as such is not a dedicated portable gaming device. PlayStation Portal will connect remotely to your PS5 over Wi-Fi, allowing you to switch to it quickly when you want to play your PS5 games elsewhere in your house or are unable to use a TV. Only games that are installed on your PS5 console and use the DualSense controller are supported. PS VR2 games, and games that are streamed through PlayStation Plus Premium's cloud streaming, are not supported.

PlayStation Portal remote player will launch later this year for 199.99 USD | 219.99 EURO | 199.99 GBP | 29,980 YEN.

I was already expecting this to be Remote Play only when the original sneak peek was shown, and I wasn't far from guessing the price point since I said it would be at least $179. I would never pay $200 for this thing though; it isn't worth that much money to just be able to play PS5 games away from a TV. Errm
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Pulse Elite Wireless Headset and Pulse Explore Wireless Earbuds Details
Sony has also shared further details about their newest PlayStation wireless headset and earbuds, which were also part of the same sneak peek back in May that featured Project Q a.k.a. PlayStation Portal.

• Pulse Elite is a new wireless headset that offers lossless audio and comes with a retractable boom mic and AI-enhanced noise rejection capable of filtering background sounds. A charging hanger is also included with the product for a convenient charging and storage option. Pulse Elite will be available for 149.99 USD | 149.99 EURO | 129.99 GBP | 18,980 YEN.
  • Pulse Explore is PlayStation's first set of wireless earbuds, providing a premium portable audio experience with dual microphones and AI-enhanced noise rejection capable of filtering background sounds. It also offers lossless audio and comes with a charging case. Pulse Explore will be available for 199.99 USD | 219.99 EURO | 199.99 GBP | 29,980 YEN.
Both of these devices can connect directly with PlayStation Portal by leveraging PlayStation Link, a new wireless audio technology. This delivers low latency, lossless audio and easy switching between multiple PlayStation Link hosts such as PS5 with the USB adapter and PlayStation Portal.

When using Pulse Elite and Pulse Explore with PS5, the USB adapter that’s included with each headset and earbuds is required for PlayStation Link. The PlayStation Link USB adapter will also be sold separately as a standalone item, and can be used on PC and Mac, so players can connect Pulse Elite or Pulse Explore to experience the same lossless and low latency audio.

Pulse Elite and Pulse Explore can simultaneously connect to a PlayStation Link supported device (PS5, PC, Mac, or PlayStation Portal) and a Bluetooth supported device. For example, Pulse Explore can be connected to PS5 (via the USB adapter) using PlayStation Link and also to a mobile phone through Bluetooth at the same time. While playing on PS5, gamers can instantly answer a call and hear it through the same Pulse Explore earbuds.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Pulse Elite Wireless Headset and Pulse Explore Wireless Earbuds Details
Sony has also shared further details about their newest PlayStation wireless headset and earbuds, which were also part of the same sneak peek back in May that featured Project Q a.k.a. PlayStation Portal.

• Pulse Elite is a new wireless headset that offers lossless audio and comes with a retractable boom mic and AI-enhanced noise rejection capable of filtering background sounds. A charging hanger is also included with the product for a convenient charging and storage option. Pulse Elite will be available for 149.99 USD | 149.99 EURO | 129.99 GBP | 18,980 YEN.
  • Pulse Explore is PlayStation's first set of wireless earbuds, providing a premium portable audio experience with dual microphones and AI-enhanced noise rejection capable of filtering background sounds. It also offers lossless audio and comes with a charging case. Pulse Explore will be available for 199.99 USD | 219.99 EURO | 199.99 GBP | 29,980 YEN.
Both of these devices can connect directly with PlayStation Portal by leveraging PlayStation Link, a new wireless audio technology. This delivers low latency, lossless audio and easy switching between multiple PlayStation Link hosts such as PS5 with the USB adapter and PlayStation Portal.

When using Pulse Elite and Pulse Explore with PS5, the USB adapter that’s included with each headset and earbuds is required for PlayStation Link. The PlayStation Link USB adapter will also be sold separately as a standalone item, and can be used on PC and Mac, so players can connect Pulse Elite or Pulse Explore to experience the same lossless and low latency audio.

Pulse Elite and Pulse Explore can simultaneously connect to a PlayStation Link supported device (PS5, PC, Mac, or PlayStation Portal) and a Bluetooth supported device. For example, Pulse Explore can be connected to PS5 (via the USB adapter) using PlayStation Link and also to a mobile phone through Bluetooth at the same time. While playing on PS5, gamers can instantly answer a call and hear it through the same Pulse Explore earbuds.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,129
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Hm, a similar type of thing to the Switch but not an actual console itself of course. Wow, time to get multi-tasking with my PS games too now, yay! *shot*

I rarely use my Switch out of it's dock so I don't know about having a separate screen for my PS5. I suppose some people will find a use for it.

Not liking the Headset or Earbuds, I don't use earbuds anymore anyway and in-ear ones are just awful.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,129 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Hm, a similar type of thing to the Switch but not an actual console itself of course. Wow, time to get multi-tasking with my PS games too now, yay! *shot*

I rarely use my Switch out of it's dock so I don't know about having a separate screen for my PS5. I suppose some people will find a use for it.

Not liking the Headset or Earbuds, I don't use earbuds anymore anyway and in-ear ones are just awful.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I already think the Portal is a bad idea anyway, but the fact you can't use a Bluetooth headset with it and have to buy one of those new Pulse devices to do wireless audio with PS Link just screams of finding ways to push people into buying those. It reminds me of when Sony pushed their own media formats for the PSP and the Vita instead of using the standard ones so they could upcharge it.

$200 for Portal vs. $200 for a Switch Lite is also a no brainer to me. At least the latter gives you another library of games that you could enjoy when you aren't able to use your PS5 and you can take that anywhere you want.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I already think the Portal is a bad idea anyway, but the fact you can't use a Bluetooth headset with it and have to buy one of those new Pulse devices to do wireless audio with PS Link just screams of finding ways to push people into buying those. It reminds me of when Sony pushed their own media formats for the PSP and the Vita instead of using the standard ones so they could upcharge it.

$200 for Portal vs. $200 for a Switch Lite is also a no brainer to me. At least the latter gives you another library of games that you could enjoy when you aren't able to use your PS5 and you can take that anywhere you want.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Stellar Blade | Sword of the Necromancer | Bravely Default II | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,818
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
I'm very tempted by the new headset after learning that it has Planar Magnetic Drives. Even more interested after it was announced a few days ago that SIE is buying Audeze, one of the leaving audiophile level headphone companies that is known for being the best with Planar Magnetic drivers. The wireless headset I currently have (the Maxwell) is Audeze and so far it's been everything as advertised in terms of amazing sound quality for both gaming and listening to music, and with PlayStation now having Audeze in their pockets to help make even better headsets for PlayStation, it's pretty exciting.

If Sony can deliver a Maxwell level headset with the Pulse Elite at a $150 price tag (compared to the Maxwell's $300 price tag, which HAS been worth it thus far), then that's a HUGE win. Of course only time will tell if they deliver, but the thought of Audeze's tech and experience in making amazing headphones/headsets paired up with PlayStation's Tempest 3D Audio is just wonderful. If the Pulse Elite does indeed delivery an absolutely amazing experience, I definitely see myself buying one for PS5 use while keeping my Maxwell's as my PC headset.
2023 Platinum Goal: 3/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Sword of the Vagrant
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Stellar Blade | Sword of the Necromancer | Bravely Default II | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,818 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
I'm very tempted by the new headset after learning that it has Planar Magnetic Drives. Even more interested after it was announced a few days ago that SIE is buying Audeze, one of the leaving audiophile level headphone companies that is known for being the best with Planar Magnetic drivers. The wireless headset I currently have (the Maxwell) is Audeze and so far it's been everything as advertised in terms of amazing sound quality for both gaming and listening to music, and with PlayStation now having Audeze in their pockets to help make even better headsets for PlayStation, it's pretty exciting.

If Sony can deliver a Maxwell level headset with the Pulse Elite at a $150 price tag (compared to the Maxwell's $300 price tag, which HAS been worth it thus far), then that's a HUGE win. Of course only time will tell if they deliver, but the thought of Audeze's tech and experience in making amazing headphones/headsets paired up with PlayStation's Tempest 3D Audio is just wonderful. If the Pulse Elite does indeed delivery an absolutely amazing experience, I definitely see myself buying one for PS5 use while keeping my Maxwell's as my PC headset.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Aug 28th, 2023, 03:42 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
I forget if we've discussed this before but what do PMD's offer over headsets that don't have it? Unsure

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Aug 28th, 2023, 03:42 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
I forget if we've discussed this before but what do PMD's offer over headsets that don't have it? Unsure
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,818
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
I'm not expert on the matter, but from my understanding, it's just a tech that makes sound quality a lot better sounding over headphones with non-PMDs. Audeze is probably the most well known for using the tech and having absolutely amazing sounding headphones (can confirm from how good the Maxwells sound, and that's not even close to their audiophile level headphones that are $3,000+).
2023 Platinum Goal: 3/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Sword of the Vagrant
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,818 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
I'm not expert on the matter, but from my understanding, it's just a tech that makes sound quality a lot better sounding over headphones with non-PMDs. Audeze is probably the most well known for using the tech and having absolutely amazing sounding headphones (can confirm from how good the Maxwells sound, and that's not even close to their audiophile level headphones that are $3,000+).
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Ah. I don't use headsets very often (literally only for Phas and DbD) but it would be nice if that sort of tech could be implemented into regular speaker systems too. Whistle

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Ah. I don't use headsets very often (literally only for Phas and DbD) but it would be nice if that sort of tech could be implemented into regular speaker systems too. Whistle
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
XP: 2,440
(Aug 27th, 2023, 12:07 AM)Moonface Wrote:

The portal is for people like me with young kids and a wife. I can casually game when they aren't supposed to be on the TV(screen time) or while they are watching movies. 

The PS Link from what I hear has less latency than BlueTooth and is far superior but yeah it's a money grab.
[Image: 2_24_05_19_10_25_51.png]
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
XP: 2,440
(Aug 27th, 2023, 12:07 AM)Moonface Wrote:

The portal is for people like me with young kids and a wife. I can casually game when they aren't supposed to be on the TV(screen time) or while they are watching movies. 

The PS Link from what I hear has less latency than BlueTooth and is far superior but yeah it's a money grab.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Metallix: I assume you don't have any other device you could stream to with Remote Play instead? While I don't disagree that the Portal is good for situations like yours I'd expect a small laptop or decent sized phone/tablet with a controller hooked up to it would be pretty on par but without the $200 price tag attached. Unsure

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Metallix: I assume you don't have any other device you could stream to with Remote Play instead? While I don't disagree that the Portal is good for situations like yours I'd expect a small laptop or decent sized phone/tablet with a controller hooked up to it would be pretty on par but without the $200 price tag attached. Unsure
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
PS5 Deep Earth Collection Announced
Three new colour choices for DualSense controllers and PlayStation 5 faceplates were announced during today's State of Play presentation:

Inspired by the powerful hues found in the depths of our planet and then elevated with a metallic finish for a touch of sophistication, choose from the molten Volcanic Red, the alluring Cobalt Blue, or the sleek Sterling Silver.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
PS5 Deep Earth Collection Announced
Three new colour choices for DualSense controllers and PlayStation 5 faceplates were announced during today's State of Play presentation:

Inspired by the powerful hues found in the depths of our planet and then elevated with a metallic finish for a touch of sophistication, choose from the molten Volcanic Red, the alluring Cobalt Blue, or the sleek Sterling Silver.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
I take these are new hues for Red and Blue to the ones already out. Looks brighter than my Red PS5 Dual Sense. Ah yes, mine is Cosmic Red not Volcanic so yes they're new. If I need a new controller perhaps might consider one of them, but still won't bother with console faceplates.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
I take these are new hues for Red and Blue to the ones already out. Looks brighter than my Red PS5 Dual Sense. Ah yes, mine is Cosmic Red not Volcanic so yes they're new. If I need a new controller perhaps might consider one of them, but still won't bother with console faceplates.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I was comparing the Cosmic Red to the Volcanic Red and questioned if these new colours are metallic. Turns out the answer is yes and that I never noticed the word when I made my post yesterday above. XD
The colours being metallic makes them a lot more appealing to me than they already are. Depending on how they look in reality I might consider grabbing one at some point. I do wonder if the plates will look odd being metallic against the glossy black the rest of the console has though. Hmm

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I was comparing the Cosmic Red to the Volcanic Red and questioned if these new colours are metallic. Turns out the answer is yes and that I never noticed the word when I made my post yesterday above. XD
The colours being metallic makes them a lot more appealing to me than they already are. Depending on how they look in reality I might consider grabbing one at some point. I do wonder if the plates will look odd being metallic against the glossy black the rest of the console has though. Hmm
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Ah then the metallic finish should make Silver look like...Silver more convincingly then. Nice, hope that's true when seeing one in person, same for the other two colours as well.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
Ah then the metallic finish should make Silver look like...Silver more convincingly then. Nice, hope that's true when seeing one in person, same for the other two colours as well.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 15th, 2023, 09:21 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Interestingly there hasn't been a metallic finish to any colours used for PlayStation consoles or controllers since the PS2, which is also the only console to get metallic colours. If the Deep Earth colours have a relatively close tone to the metallic PS2 colours then looking at images of those PS2's could be a good way to see how nice metallic will be.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 15th, 2023, 09:21 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Interestingly there hasn't been a metallic finish to any colours used for PlayStation consoles or controllers since the PS2, which is also the only console to get metallic colours. If the Deep Earth colours have a relatively close tone to the metallic PS2 colours then looking at images of those PS2's could be a good way to see how nice metallic will be.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PlayStation Boss Jim Ryan Stepping Down Moonface 6 760 Oct 3rd, 2023, 12:21 AM
Last Post: Moonface
  New PlayStation Plus Tiers Announced Moonface 45 7,536 Sep 18th, 2023, 08:32 PM
  Sony to Retire PlayStation Plus Collection Moonface 1 601 Feb 1st, 2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Mr EliteL
  Project Leonardo: PlayStation's new controller for players with disabilities aerodynamik 7 4,610 Jan 15th, 2023, 10:20 PM
  PlayStation Loyalty Program Announced Moonface 7 1,842 Sep 15th, 2022, 11:09 PM