General Game Chat
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,802
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
So after starting up the demo, it's revealed that you are set a time limit in the demo. You have 5 hours to play as much of the demo as you want before you are locked out of that play through. You can start another file, but you have to start from the beginning.

Also to note: Save data does not carry over into the main game. Kind of a bummer, but maybe at least you'll get something in the full game for having the demo downloaded.
2023 Platinum Goal: 3/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Sword of the Vagrant
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,802 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
So after starting up the demo, it's revealed that you are set a time limit in the demo. You have 5 hours to play as much of the demo as you want before you are locked out of that play through. You can start another file, but you have to start from the beginning.

Also to note: Save data does not carry over into the main game. Kind of a bummer, but maybe at least you'll get something in the full game for having the demo downloaded.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,556
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Weird that the demo is the full game on a timer but your data can't carry over. I don't even get why anyone would care to restart their run of the demo knowing it won't gain them anything except to either see a bit more (but if you wanted to do that I feel you'd just get the game) or try a different build if that's a thing.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,556 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Weird that the demo is the full game on a timer but your data can't carry over. I don't even get why anyone would care to restart their run of the demo knowing it won't gain them anything except to either see a bit more (but if you wanted to do that I feel you'd just get the game) or try a different build if that's a thing.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
I think it's so people can just try different things in the demo. Go through it the first time, and then maybe go through doing an all Black Mage team or something. Do challenge runs of the demo, get used to the mechanics, learn some neat strats, etc.. Nothing that I would personally do, because I'd rather just use up the 5 hours of the demo and then wait for the actual game but I can see people doing that kind of stuff with it.

Not transferring the save over to the main game is probably the main issue. It does make it feel like you're wasting your time with it because you are going to be forced to play through this again, but I don't mind it. The reason for it though is because this demo happens in Chapter 1 of the game, but there's a prologue that you have to play through in the full game. Kind of makes me wonder why the demo isn't of the prologue instead, so you can just start the full game in Chapter 1, but oh well.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
I think it's so people can just try different things in the demo. Go through it the first time, and then maybe go through doing an all Black Mage team or something. Do challenge runs of the demo, get used to the mechanics, learn some neat strats, etc.. Nothing that I would personally do, because I'd rather just use up the 5 hours of the demo and then wait for the actual game but I can see people doing that kind of stuff with it.

Not transferring the save over to the main game is probably the main issue. It does make it feel like you're wasting your time with it because you are going to be forced to play through this again, but I don't mind it. The reason for it though is because this demo happens in Chapter 1 of the game, but there's a prologue that you have to play through in the full game. Kind of makes me wonder why the demo isn't of the prologue instead, so you can just start the full game in Chapter 1, but oh well.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,227
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Didn't the demo for the first game also not carry over? I vaguely remember that fact and was frustrated to learn that when I got the full game later. Though, I may be conflating that with replaying the first section of the game because I'm bad at it...

I do recall thinking it silly I couldn't carry my Octopath save over when they let that demo out but I realize it was because the game wasn't even complete yet. I think it was still called "Project Octopath" on the demo XD
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,227 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Didn't the demo for the first game also not carry over? I vaguely remember that fact and was frustrated to learn that when I got the full game later. Though, I may be conflating that with replaying the first section of the game because I'm bad at it...

I do recall thinking it silly I couldn't carry my Octopath save over when they let that demo out but I realize it was because the game wasn't even complete yet. I think it was still called "Project Octopath" on the demo XD
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
The very first Bravely Default for 3DS? That was quite a long time ago, but I do believe the data didn't fully carry over. I think I vaguely remember something about the demo carrying over, but I can't remember 100%.

Speaking of the first game, I would just like to re-iterate for anyone interested in this game, but worried about not having played the previous two, this game does not have any connection to Bravely Default or Bravely Second. Aside from the name, they share nothing in common. Bravely Default II is set in a different world with a completely new cast of characters. You are completely free to go into this game without worrying about the previous ones.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
The very first Bravely Default for 3DS? That was quite a long time ago, but I do believe the data didn't fully carry over. I think I vaguely remember something about the demo carrying over, but I can't remember 100%.

Speaking of the first game, I would just like to re-iterate for anyone interested in this game, but worried about not having played the previous two, this game does not have any connection to Bravely Default or Bravely Second. Aside from the name, they share nothing in common. Bravely Default II is set in a different world with a completely new cast of characters. You are completely free to go into this game without worrying about the previous ones.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Dec 24th, 2020, 09:52 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
I guess maybe there's not much combat in the Prologue, or just not enough abilities/options to see what the game has to truly offer once you get into the game proper. Seeing Octopath mentioned, a demo of that (I don't know what the one that came out was actually like) would need to be at a stage where you can have multiple characters available, otherwise all your choices would be "Pick your first character and then use only that person because you'll likely not reach another character in this demo without dying or running out of time" which would be a disservice to showing what the game mostly plays like.

It's nice to hear that the other games aren't tied to this one; makes it sound like Final Fantasy in that regard. I just need to remember the demo exists. Doh

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Dec 24th, 2020, 09:52 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
I guess maybe there's not much combat in the Prologue, or just not enough abilities/options to see what the game has to truly offer once you get into the game proper. Seeing Octopath mentioned, a demo of that (I don't know what the one that came out was actually like) would need to be at a stage where you can have multiple characters available, otherwise all your choices would be "Pick your first character and then use only that person because you'll likely not reach another character in this demo without dying or running out of time" which would be a disservice to showing what the game mostly plays like.

It's nice to hear that the other games aren't tied to this one; makes it sound like Final Fantasy in that regard. I just need to remember the demo exists. Doh
Maniakkid25 Online
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,838
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
WOOOOOOOOOOO!

I beat my review subject today! Now comes the hard part! Recording and editing, because I'm in a tight house and I can't record myself talking for most of the day. So! I'll need to figure out how to go about this. Awesome...
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,838 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
WOOOOOOOOOOO!

I beat my review subject today! Now comes the hard part! Recording and editing, because I'm in a tight house and I can't record myself talking for most of the day. So! I'll need to figure out how to go about this. Awesome...
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Dec 31st, 2020, 12:33 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
WOOOOOOOOOOO!

Depending on how long you need you could always try telling your parents and whoever else lives with you that you need a moment to record a thing and explain upfront what it is so no one freaks out about it. XD

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Dec 31st, 2020, 12:33 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
WOOOOOOOOOOO!

Depending on how long you need you could always try telling your parents and whoever else lives with you that you need a moment to record a thing and explain upfront what it is so no one freaks out about it. XD
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Yeah, and that would require explaining to them that I'm doing it in the first place, and they are going to be none too pleased considering I swear in them, and I'm supposed to be working with kids. "You can get fired, it looks bad, blah blah blah". Yeah, better to not bother and just work around them. Plus, based on the time its already taken me, I'd need at least 12 to 15 HOURS to record the rest of my script, and my parents work from home. Yeah, they will not play ball.
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Yeah, and that would require explaining to them that I'm doing it in the first place, and they are going to be none too pleased considering I swear in them, and I'm supposed to be working with kids. "You can get fired, it looks bad, blah blah blah". Yeah, better to not bother and just work around them. Plus, based on the time its already taken me, I'd need at least 12 to 15 HOURS to record the rest of my script, and my parents work from home. Yeah, they will not play ball.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Ah, I didn't think it was that much content you needed to record with privacy. XD
Eh, the kids thing would matter more if you could be easily associated with the project, but I expect the video would be purely audio and it wouldn't be easy to tell who the person behind the content is very easily. Just the same as how you could basically write the second coming of Hitler under your username you use here* and no one would be able to go "Hey that's that one guy who works at this exact job".

*Do not actually write the second coming of Hitler.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Ah, I didn't think it was that much content you needed to record with privacy. XD
Eh, the kids thing would matter more if you could be easily associated with the project, but I expect the video would be purely audio and it wouldn't be easy to tell who the person behind the content is very easily. Just the same as how you could basically write the second coming of Hitler under your username you use here* and no one would be able to go "Hey that's that one guy who works at this exact job".

*Do not actually write the second coming of Hitler.
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Yeah, no, I still have ten pages of my script to go through. Each page is about 3-4 minutes, but it easily takes ten times that length with all the little edits of flubbed lines and the like, as well as stress on my throat, and its all craziness. And that's just recording the audio. That's not even counting the editing it would take, which each minute is easily a HALF HOUR! It's surprising how much work it takes to just put together an audio review.
Maniakkid25 Online
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Yeah, no, I still have ten pages of my script to go through. Each page is about 3-4 minutes, but it easily takes ten times that length with all the little edits of flubbed lines and the like, as well as stress on my throat, and its all craziness. And that's just recording the audio. That's not even counting the editing it would take, which each minute is easily a HALF HOUR! It's surprising how much work it takes to just put together an audio review.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
So a report has surfaced talking about how when Microsoft was first breaking into the gaming scene, before they made the first Xbox, they had actually approached multiple companies in an attempt to acquire them.

These companies include the likes of Nintendo, EA and Squaresoft (Squaresoft would merge with Enix two years later).

EA said not a chance. Squaresoft told them their offer was far too low.

This was how Nintendo responded:

Quote:Steve [Ballmer] made us go meet with Nintendo to see if they would consider being acquired. They just laughed their asses off. Like, imagine an hour of somebody just laughing at you. That was kind of how that meeting went.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
So a report has surfaced talking about how when Microsoft was first breaking into the gaming scene, before they made the first Xbox, they had actually approached multiple companies in an attempt to acquire them.

These companies include the likes of Nintendo, EA and Squaresoft (Squaresoft would merge with Enix two years later).

EA said not a chance. Squaresoft told them their offer was far too low.

This was how Nintendo responded:

Quote:Steve [Ballmer] made us go meet with Nintendo to see if they would consider being acquired. They just laughed their asses off. Like, imagine an hour of somebody just laughing at you. That was kind of how that meeting went.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
How on Earth did they ever expect to acquire Nintendo?! They would have had a better chance getting Sega given that their most recent console put them out of the market around that time and so no longer had a hardware foothold in the industry. Nintendo must have been having a very slow day to entertain Microsoft for an hour over a request to be acquired by them.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
How on Earth did they ever expect to acquire Nintendo?! They would have had a better chance getting Sega given that their most recent console put them out of the market around that time and so no longer had a hardware foothold in the industry. Nintendo must have been having a very slow day to entertain Microsoft for an hour over a request to be acquired by them.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Funny that you mention that, because Microsoft did try to buy out SEGA around this same time, only to walk away from those talks in failure as well.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Funny that you mention that, because Microsoft did try to buy out SEGA around this same time, only to walk away from those talks in failure as well.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I wonder how many failed acquisitions Microsoft regrets from that time that failed only because they didn't offer enough money. If companies like EA and Square still had roughly the same growth but under Microsoft then they would've made so much money back on those investments.

On the flip side, I wonder how different those companies could be today if they had gone under Microsoft. I feel the only precedent to go on is Rare but I don't know how fair it is to use just that one developer to judge how every other one would've gone.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I wonder how many failed acquisitions Microsoft regrets from that time that failed only because they didn't offer enough money. If companies like EA and Square still had roughly the same growth but under Microsoft then they would've made so much money back on those investments.

On the flip side, I wonder how different those companies could be today if they had gone under Microsoft. I feel the only precedent to go on is Rare but I don't know how fair it is to use just that one developer to judge how every other one would've gone.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do You View Smash Bros. as a Party Game or a Fighting Game? Moonface 5 779 Aug 2nd, 2023, 03:38 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  Game creator Content ID'd on his own game Maniakkid25 4 4,918 Dec 7th, 2019, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Moonface