General Game Chat
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,227
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I think the opposite side is just as annoying. Don't go spoiling shit for people when they're clearly playing for the first time. Imagine having to wait until Saturday to watch the new "Big Hit" movie when it launched the night before, and your friend goes with you (after seeing it at launch) and starts going "oh boy, this part, get ready" at some of the key moments. Like, how annoying is that?
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,227 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
I think the opposite side is just as annoying. Don't go spoiling shit for people when they're clearly playing for the first time. Imagine having to wait until Saturday to watch the new "Big Hit" movie when it launched the night before, and your friend goes with you (after seeing it at launch) and starts going "oh boy, this part, get ready" at some of the key moments. Like, how annoying is that?
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,802
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
(May 26th, 2021, 02:06 AM)Monocle Wrote:
oh i remember the P5 nonsense. it's stupid. let them stream what they want. it's up to the viewers to avoid the content. I don't tell any channel to stop broadcasting a specific show. I just don't watch the program.

The best part of all of the P5 drama is that streamers pretty much gave Atlus the biggest middle finger possible and just continued to stream the game anyways. While they were able to prevent anyone streaming on the PS4 to not be able to stream past that point, all the streamers using capture cards (which is most of them) were able to completely bypass it anyways and just continue streaming the game. Nothing Atlus could do about it other than cry. Now they just "nicely ask" people not to spoil anything, rather than attempt to put any streaming blocks in place. Guess they don't want to have to surrender with their tails between their legs a second time. 

It was funny watching Atlus attempt to stop them, and having streamers just go, "What are you going to do about it?" and Atlus having no answer. As you said, it's up to individual people to be smart enough to go, "Oh, I don't want spoilers. I probably should go into the channel of this streamer who is playing the game I don't want spoiled right now." But sadly no matter what, you'll always have those dumbasses that go into the stream and go "OmG i CaN't BeLiEvE yOu SpOiLeD iT fOr Me!!!!"
2023 Platinum Goal: 3/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Sword of the Vagrant
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,802 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
(May 26th, 2021, 02:06 AM)Monocle Wrote:
oh i remember the P5 nonsense. it's stupid. let them stream what they want. it's up to the viewers to avoid the content. I don't tell any channel to stop broadcasting a specific show. I just don't watch the program.

The best part of all of the P5 drama is that streamers pretty much gave Atlus the biggest middle finger possible and just continued to stream the game anyways. While they were able to prevent anyone streaming on the PS4 to not be able to stream past that point, all the streamers using capture cards (which is most of them) were able to completely bypass it anyways and just continue streaming the game. Nothing Atlus could do about it other than cry. Now they just "nicely ask" people not to spoil anything, rather than attempt to put any streaming blocks in place. Guess they don't want to have to surrender with their tails between their legs a second time. 

It was funny watching Atlus attempt to stop them, and having streamers just go, "What are you going to do about it?" and Atlus having no answer. As you said, it's up to individual people to be smart enough to go, "Oh, I don't want spoilers. I probably should go into the channel of this streamer who is playing the game I don't want spoiled right now." But sadly no matter what, you'll always have those dumbasses that go into the stream and go "OmG i CaN't BeLiEvE yOu SpOiLeD iT fOr Me!!!!"
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728
Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
(May 26th, 2021, 04:22 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

Yeah but that's a bit more personal and takes away a lot of the control from the viewer. obviously you can't control your friend right in front of you from being an ass, but I still hold some responsibility by going with someone who viewed it and expecting them to stay 100% silent. 

I'm not saying it doesn't suck but I don't think Atlus, or any company for that matter, should be so demanding as to take down someone's stream, which could very well be their very legal way of living, because it spoils the ending
(May 26th, 2021, 06:01 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:

yeah but atlus and sega actually took down a bunch of streams and videos that were recorded last the point they wanted. I don't remember it being an agreed upon stipulation of any streaming contract within the game that they weren't allowed to stream after a certain point in the game
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728 Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
(May 26th, 2021, 04:22 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

Yeah but that's a bit more personal and takes away a lot of the control from the viewer. obviously you can't control your friend right in front of you from being an ass, but I still hold some responsibility by going with someone who viewed it and expecting them to stay 100% silent. 

I'm not saying it doesn't suck but I don't think Atlus, or any company for that matter, should be so demanding as to take down someone's stream, which could very well be their very legal way of living, because it spoils the ending
(May 26th, 2021, 06:01 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:

yeah but atlus and sega actually took down a bunch of streams and videos that were recorded last the point they wanted. I don't remember it being an agreed upon stipulation of any streaming contract within the game that they weren't allowed to stream after a certain point in the game
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Like I said, all they could do was make it so that streaming directly via the PS4 would cut off the stream feed at that point in the game. They couldn't do a damn thing about streamers who use capture cards to stream from console, so instead they tried to be tough and strongarm streamers into not streaming the game past that point, but all of the streamers were just like "lol ok" and continued to stream it anyways. There's nothing Atlus could do about it unless they had some type of contract in place with Twitch to prevent the game from being streamed at that point, and that's not something Twitch would have ever agreed to.

I just find it funny that Atlus is the only company that gets their panties in a twist about people streaming their games. Persona 5 wouldn't have done nearly as well as it did if it wasn't for the massive exposure the game got from high viewer streamers playing the game.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Like I said, all they could do was make it so that streaming directly via the PS4 would cut off the stream feed at that point in the game. They couldn't do a damn thing about streamers who use capture cards to stream from console, so instead they tried to be tough and strongarm streamers into not streaming the game past that point, but all of the streamers were just like "lol ok" and continued to stream it anyways. There's nothing Atlus could do about it unless they had some type of contract in place with Twitch to prevent the game from being streamed at that point, and that's not something Twitch would have ever agreed to.

I just find it funny that Atlus is the only company that gets their panties in a twist about people streaming their games. Persona 5 wouldn't have done nearly as well as it did if it wasn't for the massive exposure the game got from high viewer streamers playing the game.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
ehhh I don't know about that. Persona was in the limelight already and pretty much sold itself. I wouldn't give it to the steamers for their sales.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
ehhh I don't know about that. Persona was in the limelight already and pretty much sold itself. I wouldn't give it to the steamers for their sales.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
You're definitely underestimating the effect streamers and YouTube channels have on people's exposure to games and their decisions to buy them. There's no way Persona 5 explodes in the west as much as it did without them. There's a reason why so many game companies will pay streamers to play their games now days. SEGA themselves have done it multiple times after the release of Persona 5.

Western gamers are especially prone to making their decisions based upon a review or the opinion of a content creator they like. A big reason why Genshin Impact was able to dominate like it did when it released as because of how many content creators were hyping the game up and getting everyone else excited for it.

If having large streamers play your games didn't make a difference in their exposure/sales, companies wouldn't be going out and shelling out cash to streamers to get them to play their games.

I'm not saying Persona 5 wouldn't have had respectable sales numbers otherwise, but there's no way it becomes a 5+ million sales game without that exposure.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
You're definitely underestimating the effect streamers and YouTube channels have on people's exposure to games and their decisions to buy them. There's no way Persona 5 explodes in the west as much as it did without them. There's a reason why so many game companies will pay streamers to play their games now days. SEGA themselves have done it multiple times after the release of Persona 5.

Western gamers are especially prone to making their decisions based upon a review or the opinion of a content creator they like. A big reason why Genshin Impact was able to dominate like it did when it released as because of how many content creators were hyping the game up and getting everyone else excited for it.

If having large streamers play your games didn't make a difference in their exposure/sales, companies wouldn't be going out and shelling out cash to streamers to get them to play their games.

I'm not saying Persona 5 wouldn't have had respectable sales numbers otherwise, but there's no way it becomes a 5+ million sales game without that exposure.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
I'm not saying they don't have an effect on it but I think you're overestimating the effect it had this time. P4 and P4G, along with both anime, rhythm game, and both fighting games, did most of the leg work. but that time, persona had its fingers in a bit of everything. I wouldn't say it was mainly because of steamers and youtubers. kinda wish this could be measured accurately.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
I'm not saying they don't have an effect on it but I think you're overestimating the effect it had this time. P4 and P4G, along with both anime, rhythm game, and both fighting games, did most of the leg work. but that time, persona had its fingers in a bit of everything. I wouldn't say it was mainly because of steamers and youtubers. kinda wish this could be measured accurately.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Persona 5/Persona 5 Royal make up nearly half of the life-time sales of the entire Persona series (including spin-offs). Persona 4 wouldn't have had that much of an effect, especially considering how many people played Persona 5 as their very first Persona game.

If anything, Persona 4 has P5 to thank for making Golden sell 500,000 copies on Steam.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Persona 5/Persona 5 Royal make up nearly half of the life-time sales of the entire Persona series (including spin-offs). Persona 4 wouldn't have had that much of an effect, especially considering how many people played Persona 5 as their very first Persona game.

If anything, Persona 4 has P5 to thank for making Golden sell 500,000 copies on Steam.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
one hand washes the other. P4 helped P5 and P5 helped P4. symbiosis! no steamers helped at all
nope!

like I said, they had a part and I didn't even say insignificant. I just don't believe they're the majority reason for sales
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
one hand washes the other. P4 helped P5 and P5 helped P4. symbiosis! no steamers helped at all
nope!

like I said, they had a part and I didn't even say insignificant. I just don't believe they're the majority reason for sales
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,589
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(May 23rd, 2021, 02:09 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
...I mean, there's really no way I can respond to that that doesn't give away a lot of the story of the entire series. And it doesn't help that this basically gives away three of the six possible endings in the game! It's THAT bad, and they have the balls to tell other people "yo, no spoilers!" >.=.< Spoiler culture drives me up a friggin' wall, sometimes!
Reminds me of this tweet by THQ Nordic trying to be clever with two conflicting statements and it just not working:

On the subject of spoilers, I'd say the only time streamers should respect not streaming a game is if they get an early copy, since it could put spoilers out in the wild that people wouldn't expect to see yet depending on how far out from release they get the copy.

In other news, some absolute muppet spent almost $100,000 for this:

Good on the person who initially sold it because they clearly weren't trying to make bank like that when they tossed it up for 99c, and if a fool wants to be so easily parted with their money for what that person offered then the only questionable side is the buyer. Like, there's no way they'll ever make that money back and I doubt that McNugget is going to last forever (even if it is made of McDonalds anti-rot technology).
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,589 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(May 23rd, 2021, 02:09 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
...I mean, there's really no way I can respond to that that doesn't give away a lot of the story of the entire series. And it doesn't help that this basically gives away three of the six possible endings in the game! It's THAT bad, and they have the balls to tell other people "yo, no spoilers!" >.=.< Spoiler culture drives me up a friggin' wall, sometimes!
Reminds me of this tweet by THQ Nordic trying to be clever with two conflicting statements and it just not working:

On the subject of spoilers, I'd say the only time streamers should respect not streaming a game is if they get an early copy, since it could put spoilers out in the wild that people wouldn't expect to see yet depending on how far out from release they get the copy.

In other news, some absolute muppet spent almost $100,000 for this:

Good on the person who initially sold it because they clearly weren't trying to make bank like that when they tossed it up for 99c, and if a fool wants to be so easily parted with their money for what that person offered then the only questionable side is the buyer. Like, there's no way they'll ever make that money back and I doubt that McNugget is going to last forever (even if it is made of McDonalds anti-rot technology).
Maniakkid25 Offline
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,838
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
So, ever since my dad installed our new router, I have been unable to access Xbox Live on my 360. I had three options: change the router settings (which my dad will NOT let me do), use a wired connection (which I don't have a port for in my room), or the really stupid option that I did. So now I have my 360 in an internet daisy chain, leeching access off my PC. It's brilliantly stupid!
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,838 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
So, ever since my dad installed our new router, I have been unable to access Xbox Live on my 360. I had three options: change the router settings (which my dad will NOT let me do), use a wired connection (which I don't have a port for in my room), or the really stupid option that I did. So now I have my 360 in an internet daisy chain, leeching access off my PC. It's brilliantly stupid!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jun 6th, 2021, 10:45 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
So now I have my 360 in an internet daisy chain, leeching access off my PC. It's brilliantly stupid!
What the heck is an internet daisy chain? XD

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jun 6th, 2021, 10:45 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
So now I have my 360 in an internet daisy chain, leeching access off my PC. It's brilliantly stupid!
What the heck is an internet daisy chain? XD
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
A daisy chain is any time you wire devices in a series to get something to work. Imagine you had a DVD player connected to your cable box, which then connected to your TV, because you only had space for the one port on the TV. That is a daisy chain. In MY case, I have my PC hooked into the internet via wifi, and then my 360 is connected to my PC via an ethernet cable. AND IT ACTUALLY WORKS!
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
A daisy chain is any time you wire devices in a series to get something to work. Imagine you had a DVD player connected to your cable box, which then connected to your TV, because you only had space for the one port on the TV. That is a daisy chain. In MY case, I have my PC hooked into the internet via wifi, and then my 360 is connected to my PC via an ethernet cable. AND IT ACTUALLY WORKS!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Ah, I see. Well, it's stupid but at least it works. Although I assume the PC has to be on for the 360 to get the internet from it?

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Ah, I see. Well, it's stupid but at least it works. Although I assume the PC has to be on for the 360 to get the internet from it?
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Yeah, but I basically leave my computer on, anyway. I know, I know, bad Maniak, but I need a nightlight. I'm still a pansy who can't sleep in full darkness. Plus, I have yet to truly burn out a computer, and my desktop before I started buying my own was mine for a decade with me handling it roughly.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
Any/Any
Yeah, but I basically leave my computer on, anyway. I know, I know, bad Maniak, but I need a nightlight. I'm still a pansy who can't sleep in full darkness. Plus, I have yet to truly burn out a computer, and my desktop before I started buying my own was mine for a decade with me handling it roughly.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do You View Smash Bros. as a Party Game or a Fighting Game? Moonface 5 786 Aug 2nd, 2023, 03:38 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  Game creator Content ID'd on his own game Maniakkid25 4 4,925 Dec 7th, 2019, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Moonface