General Game Chat
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Stellar Blade | Sword of the Necromancer | Bravely Default II | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,818
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Story was crap, characters were crap for the most part, they made the characters from the original worse (especially since most of them didn't have the original voice actors). Gameplay systems were crap. A lot of people hated that it lacked a traversable world map (didn't bother me too much personally).

I got the platinum for the game on PS3 and I can say that the game is overall pretty shit. The only good thing about it was how hilariously broken Marta can become after the optional dungeon. You get equipment for her that gives her 1 TP cost on all her spells and instant spell casting. One of her spells stuns the enemy it hits, bosses included. So you can imagine what 1 TP instant spell casting with that spell means.
2023 Platinum Goal: 3/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Sword of the Vagrant
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Stellar Blade | Sword of the Necromancer | Bravely Default II | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,818 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Story was crap, characters were crap for the most part, they made the characters from the original worse (especially since most of them didn't have the original voice actors). Gameplay systems were crap. A lot of people hated that it lacked a traversable world map (didn't bother me too much personally).

I got the platinum for the game on PS3 and I can say that the game is overall pretty shit. The only good thing about it was how hilariously broken Marta can become after the optional dungeon. You get equipment for her that gives her 1 TP cost on all her spells and instant spell casting. One of her spells stuns the enemy it hits, bosses included. So you can imagine what 1 TP instant spell casting with that spell means.
Maniakkid25 Online
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,858
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
(Jun 24th, 2021, 08:52 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World is one of the worst rated Tales games ever made, and absolutely hated by a large majority of the fanbase, so I'm not surprised that copies of the Wii version are extremely cheap. Especially since the game got a "remastered" release on the PS3, bundled with the original Tales of Symphonia.

PERFECT! I want it even more now, because it promises me GLORIOUS CONTENT as a sacrifice to the Youtube Algorithm! Also, I own Tales of Symphonia...twice (both the GCN version and the updated version that was eventually ported to PC), so I'MMA GRAB IT!
Maniakkid25 Online
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,858 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
(Jun 24th, 2021, 08:52 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World is one of the worst rated Tales games ever made, and absolutely hated by a large majority of the fanbase, so I'm not surprised that copies of the Wii version are extremely cheap. Especially since the game got a "remastered" release on the PS3, bundled with the original Tales of Symphonia.

PERFECT! I want it even more now, because it promises me GLORIOUS CONTENT as a sacrifice to the Youtube Algorithm! Also, I own Tales of Symphonia...twice (both the GCN version and the updated version that was eventually ported to PC), so I'MMA GRAB IT!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,742
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Jun 24th, 2021, 10:37 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:

Did the original Symphonia end in a way that it needed to continue? Sounds like it either ended fine as a standalone or it set up a sequel that was just poorly realised.

Anyone interested in anything in the Steam Summer Sale this year? I tried looking but I don't even know of a game I want so I quickly lost interest looking for any deals for now.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,742 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Jun 24th, 2021, 10:37 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:

Did the original Symphonia end in a way that it needed to continue? Sounds like it either ended fine as a standalone or it set up a sequel that was just poorly realised.

Anyone interested in anything in the Steam Summer Sale this year? I tried looking but I don't even know of a game I want so I quickly lost interest looking for any deals for now.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728
Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
it didn't need a sequel at all. it ended in a very good place imo. there was no sequel for years for a reason so why bother?

I'm sorry interested! there's a visual novel section! omg omg omg omg

I've been working so I haven't had a chance to look. might end up doing it on my phone because I just don't have time.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728 Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
it didn't need a sequel at all. it ended in a very good place imo. there was no sequel for years for a reason so why bother?

I'm sorry interested! there's a visual novel section! omg omg omg omg

I've been working so I haven't had a chance to look. might end up doing it on my phone because I just don't have time.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Well I think the Steam Summer Sale this year runs until July 8 so you still have plenty of time to look @Monocle. Wink

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Well I think the Steam Summer Sale this year runs until July 8 so you still have plenty of time to look @Monocle. Wink
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
As Monocle said, there was no reason for a sequel to Tales of Symphonia. They just wanted to try and cash in on Symphonia's popularity (a lot of Westerner's first Tales game). It ended pretty poorly for them in the end, as DotNW ended up being one of the most disliked Tales games made, and is viewed very poorly among the fan base.

It's a game I definitely would have never played if not for the fact that it was bundled in with Tales of Symphonia's PS3 release.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
As Monocle said, there was no reason for a sequel to Tales of Symphonia. They just wanted to try and cash in on Symphonia's popularity (a lot of Westerner's first Tales game). It ended pretty poorly for them in the end, as DotNW ended up being one of the most disliked Tales games made, and is viewed very poorly among the fan base.

It's a game I definitely would have never played if not for the fact that it was bundled in with Tales of Symphonia's PS3 release.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Did they ever make other direct Tales sequels after that one, assuming it was the first time they did it?

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Did they ever make other direct Tales sequels after that one, assuming it was the first time they did it?
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Dawn of the New World was the second time they made a direct sequel. Tales of Destiny 2 was the first instance (Destiny released on the PS1 in 1997, Destiny 2 on the PlayStation 2 in 2002). I never played them myself, so can't comment on how good Destiny 2 is as a sequel to Destiny.

Next came Symphonia (Gamecube in 2003) and Dawn of the New World (Wii in 2008).

Then the third and so far final time of a sequel happening was with Tales of Xillia (PS3 in 2011) and Tales of Xillia 2 (PS3 in 2012). These ones I did play, and while Xillia 2 had a lot of issues with its game systems, overall it did a much better job in not completely butchering the characters from the first game, while Dawn of the New World just absolutely dropped the ball when it came to handling the first game's cast.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Dawn of the New World was the second time they made a direct sequel. Tales of Destiny 2 was the first instance (Destiny released on the PS1 in 1997, Destiny 2 on the PlayStation 2 in 2002). I never played them myself, so can't comment on how good Destiny 2 is as a sequel to Destiny.

Next came Symphonia (Gamecube in 2003) and Dawn of the New World (Wii in 2008).

Then the third and so far final time of a sequel happening was with Tales of Xillia (PS3 in 2011) and Tales of Xillia 2 (PS3 in 2012). These ones I did play, and while Xillia 2 had a lot of issues with its game systems, overall it did a much better job in not completely butchering the characters from the first game, while Dawn of the New World just absolutely dropped the ball when it came to handling the first game's cast.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
It sounds like the Tales games tend to try and change things every time, which isn't bad in and of itself but it makes me wonder if it's like Pokemon where there's always a very similar base but then the things added into it are either good or bad and the good isn't necessarily always taken forward, or it is but something iffy can get added too that spoils it. Especially given how you speak of even the decent sequel in Xillia.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
It sounds like the Tales games tend to try and change things every time, which isn't bad in and of itself but it makes me wonder if it's like Pokemon where there's always a very similar base but then the things added into it are either good or bad and the good isn't necessarily always taken forward, or it is but something iffy can get added too that spoils it. Especially given how you speak of even the decent sequel in Xillia.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (PC) | Cassette Beasts (PC) | For The King (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,266
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
'Trying to think of what other games got sequels that really didn't turn out the way they should. Hmm I suppose it's debatable that Zelda II and Mario 2 are quite divisive (one moreso than the other), but I think they're unique enough to be objectively said they're standalone good titles.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,266 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
'Trying to think of what other games got sequels that really didn't turn out the way they should. Hmm I suppose it's debatable that Zelda II and Mario 2 are quite divisive (one moreso than the other), but I think they're unique enough to be objectively said they're standalone good titles.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
So leaks say that the Final Fantasy 1-6 Pixel Remasters will release in July. No official announcement from SE yet, but they did announce that the current versions of Final Fantasy V and Final Fantasy VI, which are hideous monstrosities, will be de-listed from Steam on July 27th. So that confirmation along with the rumors of a July release for the pixel remasters likely means they'll be released the same day the de-listing happens, or very soon after.

Either way, I'm super hyped for this. It'll be nice to have versions of FFV and FFVI on Steam that have pixel graphics similar to the original SNES games, rather than the super ugly graphics and sprites of the mobile versions. I do have FFV on Steam, despite absolutely hating how it looks, because I just wanted to be able to play FFV on a current platform, plus the allure of FFV with achievements (there's a lot to do in a completionist run of FFV lol) were too great for me to resist.

Now if I remember correctly, even if the game is de-listed, owners of the game still have access to play it, yes? So I can still 100% the current version of it, and then 100% the Pixel Remaster version.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
So leaks say that the Final Fantasy 1-6 Pixel Remasters will release in July. No official announcement from SE yet, but they did announce that the current versions of Final Fantasy V and Final Fantasy VI, which are hideous monstrosities, will be de-listed from Steam on July 27th. So that confirmation along with the rumors of a July release for the pixel remasters likely means they'll be released the same day the de-listing happens, or very soon after.

Either way, I'm super hyped for this. It'll be nice to have versions of FFV and FFVI on Steam that have pixel graphics similar to the original SNES games, rather than the super ugly graphics and sprites of the mobile versions. I do have FFV on Steam, despite absolutely hating how it looks, because I just wanted to be able to play FFV on a current platform, plus the allure of FFV with achievements (there's a lot to do in a completionist run of FFV lol) were too great for me to resist.

Now if I remember correctly, even if the game is de-listed, owners of the game still have access to play it, yes? So I can still 100% the current version of it, and then 100% the Pixel Remaster version.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jun 30th, 2021, 04:13 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Dead Space 3. Resident Evil 5 and 6. Wipeout Fusion. A good chunk of the Sonic games although I think most people expect them to be hit and miss given the series reputation.

(Jun 30th, 2021, 06:53 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
That should be the case since I'm sure in Europe it breaks some sort of law to revoke access to a game people paid for.

Speaking of rumours and speculation for things, looks like the chatter about Dead Space getting some sort of revival could hold some weight since the official YouTube account for the series updated its profile picture today, and it hasn't been updated since 2012. Seems unlikely they would just update the page for nothing. Hmm

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jun 30th, 2021, 04:13 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Dead Space 3. Resident Evil 5 and 6. Wipeout Fusion. A good chunk of the Sonic games although I think most people expect them to be hit and miss given the series reputation.

That should be the case since I'm sure in Europe it breaks some sort of law to revoke access to a game people paid for.

Speaking of rumours and speculation for things, looks like the chatter about Dead Space getting some sort of revival could hold some weight since the official YouTube account for the series updated its profile picture today, and it hasn't been updated since 2012. Seems unlikely they would just update the page for nothing. Hmm
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,266
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Ah I meant direct sequels, like literally the ones that followed up the really banger OG. The others are easy to find, especially through Sonic ROFL

I would love to play a remade version of Dead Space for the first time. Have that complete experience and it being possibly 100x more tense due to updated graphics and such. Wow
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,266 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Ah I meant direct sequels, like literally the ones that followed up the really banger OG. The others are easy to find, especially through Sonic ROFL

I would love to play a remade version of Dead Space for the first time. Have that complete experience and it being possibly 100x more tense due to updated graphics and such. Wow
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
(Jul 1st, 2021, 10:53 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Yeah, I'm fairly sure it works that way, because if I remember correctly, when Dark Souls Remastered come out, they delisted the original Dark Souls from Steam, but I believe anyone who owned it prior can still access and play it.

I actually have it myself, so I could just boot up Steam and check my library, but laziness wins.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
(Jul 1st, 2021, 10:53 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Yeah, I'm fairly sure it works that way, because if I remember correctly, when Dark Souls Remastered come out, they delisted the original Dark Souls from Steam, but I believe anyone who owned it prior can still access and play it.

I actually have it myself, so I could just boot up Steam and check my library, but laziness wins.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jul 4th, 2021, 12:45 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

Ah. That makes it a lot tougher to think of answers then. XD
Jak 2 would be one of those sequels where opinion of it depends on who you ask. It isn't necessarily a terrible game, but it is one of the biggest U-turns for a sequel I think I've ever played. The first game was a pleasant platformer, while Jak 2 is clearly a game heavily influenced by GTA 3 by featuring guns, drugs, car jacking, foul language, violence, and more. It would be like if Mario 64 was the first Mario game, and it being followed up by the Mario version of a Conker's Bad Fur Day type game, where it isn't bad but some would criticize it for being everything but what the game before it was.

The one thing I'd love for a Dead Space remake is for less predictability. Necromorphs jumping out of vents doesn't hold up once you get used to it, and especially so when you replay the game because they always use the same vents. I'd really like to never be able to know when a Necromorph might show up outside of full encounters so that I can't relax in hallways that I know are safe.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jul 4th, 2021, 12:45 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

Ah. That makes it a lot tougher to think of answers then. XD
Jak 2 would be one of those sequels where opinion of it depends on who you ask. It isn't necessarily a terrible game, but it is one of the biggest U-turns for a sequel I think I've ever played. The first game was a pleasant platformer, while Jak 2 is clearly a game heavily influenced by GTA 3 by featuring guns, drugs, car jacking, foul language, violence, and more. It would be like if Mario 64 was the first Mario game, and it being followed up by the Mario version of a Conker's Bad Fur Day type game, where it isn't bad but some would criticize it for being everything but what the game before it was.

The one thing I'd love for a Dead Space remake is for less predictability. Necromorphs jumping out of vents doesn't hold up once you get used to it, and especially so when you replay the game because they always use the same vents. I'd really like to never be able to know when a Necromorph might show up outside of full encounters so that I can't relax in hallways that I know are safe.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do You View Smash Bros. as a Party Game or a Fighting Game? Moonface 5 815 Aug 2nd, 2023, 03:38 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  Game creator Content ID'd on his own game Maniakkid25 4 4,951 Dec 7th, 2019, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Moonface