General Game Chat
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,991
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Dec 11th, 2021, 02:45 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
It Takes Two was a solid game and it winning was a big fuck you to Take Two Interactive's recent lawsuit about their name infringing copyright.
Unfortunately, it seems games journalism has struck again in painting this in a light that is not close to the truth:

For those who want a tl;dw, basically "It Takes Two" can not be trademarked nor copyrighted as it is a singular title, and Take Two Interactive opposed the trademark filing because of the poor strength the filing had. If that game were to become a series, then Hazelight could trademark the name and would have a strong shot at winning, because it is then a series or franchise. Hazelight dropped the trademark filing after Take Two extended their opposition case against them, but Hazelight didn't drop it because they have to also drop the name. They just can not currently trademark that singular title.

If Take Two were demanding they change the name of the game, I'd still side that they're bastards (not that they aren't for other reasons like the GTA Trilogy), but simply opposing a trademark filing of a title isn't wrong for them to do. Gaming journalists just saw fit to run with a story without either all the facts or they opted to ignore them for the sake of an engaging story; journalists gonna journo' as always it seems. Hmph
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,991 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Dec 11th, 2021, 02:45 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
It Takes Two was a solid game and it winning was a big fuck you to Take Two Interactive's recent lawsuit about their name infringing copyright.
Unfortunately, it seems games journalism has struck again in painting this in a light that is not close to the truth:

For those who want a tl;dw, basically "It Takes Two" can not be trademarked nor copyrighted as it is a singular title, and Take Two Interactive opposed the trademark filing because of the poor strength the filing had. If that game were to become a series, then Hazelight could trademark the name and would have a strong shot at winning, because it is then a series or franchise. Hazelight dropped the trademark filing after Take Two extended their opposition case against them, but Hazelight didn't drop it because they have to also drop the name. They just can not currently trademark that singular title.

If Take Two were demanding they change the name of the game, I'd still side that they're bastards (not that they aren't for other reasons like the GTA Trilogy), but simply opposing a trademark filing of a title isn't wrong for them to do. Gaming journalists just saw fit to run with a story without either all the facts or they opted to ignore them for the sake of an engaging story; journalists gonna journo' as always it seems. Hmph
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Stellar Blade | Sword of the Necromancer | Bravely Default II | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,840
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
So I missed this announcement from the Game Awards, but Google has announced that they will be bringing Google Play to PCs in 2022! This is huge news for me! Since Windows 11 only supports the Amazon App store, which lacks all of the games I play, such as Azur Lane and Arknights, knowing that next year we'll just be able to straight up access the Play Store and play Android game on our PCs that way is fucking awesome.

It also means I won't have to worry about any issues switching between devices. Even if Amazon App store had one of the games I play, I'd have to worry about the fact that the those games are on my Google Play account on my other devices, and if accessing one of those games via a different app store would end up screwing something up. I know for sure that it screws up paid currency. For example: If I were to buy a pack of gems in Azur Lane on my phone (Google Play Store) and then go on an iPhone and boot up my account on there (obviously coming from the Apple app store), I would not have those gems accessible to me on my account until I logged into the game from a device with the Google Play Store again. So that would make it an annoyance if I had to switch between GPS and Amazon App store constantly like that.

Luckily I won't have to worry about that come 2022! Hopefully we'll get more information on when exactly we can expect the Google Play Store to make an appearance on PCs and what games will be available (hopefully all of them, but we won't know for sure until they make an announcement).
2023 Platinum Goal: 3/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Sword of the Vagrant
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Stellar Blade | Sword of the Necromancer | Bravely Default II | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,840 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
So I missed this announcement from the Game Awards, but Google has announced that they will be bringing Google Play to PCs in 2022! This is huge news for me! Since Windows 11 only supports the Amazon App store, which lacks all of the games I play, such as Azur Lane and Arknights, knowing that next year we'll just be able to straight up access the Play Store and play Android game on our PCs that way is fucking awesome.

It also means I won't have to worry about any issues switching between devices. Even if Amazon App store had one of the games I play, I'd have to worry about the fact that the those games are on my Google Play account on my other devices, and if accessing one of those games via a different app store would end up screwing something up. I know for sure that it screws up paid currency. For example: If I were to buy a pack of gems in Azur Lane on my phone (Google Play Store) and then go on an iPhone and boot up my account on there (obviously coming from the Apple app store), I would not have those gems accessible to me on my account until I logged into the game from a device with the Google Play Store again. So that would make it an annoyance if I had to switch between GPS and Amazon App store constantly like that.

Luckily I won't have to worry about that come 2022! Hopefully we'll get more information on when exactly we can expect the Google Play Store to make an appearance on PCs and what games will be available (hopefully all of them, but we won't know for sure until they make an announcement).
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I missed that too, likely because I thought it was just an ad for Google Play in general and not actually an announcement of anything. I would hope that all the games can come over, since touch screen functionality can just be replicated with a mouse and laptops these days even have touch screens too.
I know it would never happen but you know what would be really cool to get Google Play? The Nintendo Switch. Just restrict touch based games to undocked mode and it would be good to go as a way to play GP games on a tablet style device if you only own a phone and want to use something else.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I missed that too, likely because I thought it was just an ad for Google Play in general and not actually an announcement of anything. I would hope that all the games can come over, since touch screen functionality can just be replicated with a mouse and laptops these days even have touch screens too.
I know it would never happen but you know what would be really cool to get Google Play? The Nintendo Switch. Just restrict touch based games to undocked mode and it would be good to go as a way to play GP games on a tablet style device if you only own a phone and want to use something else.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
So a Japanese television network called TV Asahi aired a special program broadcasting the results of a poll of 50,000 viewers for their favorite games, and these were the results:
I just thought it was interesting to see what games are currently seen as favourites in Japan, especially since there's a few games in here I didn't expect to see like Apex Legends. Also a lot less games in here I've never heard of than I expected to see too.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
So a Japanese television network called TV Asahi aired a special program broadcasting the results of a poll of 50,000 viewers for their favorite games, and these were the results:
I just thought it was interesting to see what games are currently seen as favourites in Japan, especially since there's a few games in here I didn't expect to see like Apex Legends. Also a lot less games in here I've never heard of than I expected to see too.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
The fact that Diamond/Pearl are higher on that list than Platinum makes me extremely disappointed in the people who voted in this. I will never trust Japanese gamers again.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
The fact that Diamond/Pearl are higher on that list than Platinum makes me extremely disappointed in the people who voted in this. I will never trust Japanese gamers again.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I wonder if those games scored higher because of people being reminded of them due to the remakes, or maybe the poll placed both the originals and the remake under one option. I've seen comments questioning Persona 5 instead of Royal being in the list when the latter is just P5 but with more and better.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I wonder if those games scored higher because of people being reminded of them due to the remakes, or maybe the poll placed both the originals and the remake under one option. I've seen comments questioning Persona 5 instead of Royal being in the list when the latter is just P5 but with more and better.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
If they had them separately on the poll, but them merged the results, then that's just stupid. In no world is Diamond/Pearl even on the same level as Platinum. Platinum took everything thing that was good about those games and cranked it up to 20.

You can also tell that most of these 50,000 users are super hardcore Nintendo fanboys. Definitely a very good demographic to poll for this type of thing. Of course lots of Dragon Quest on this list, since Japan loves that boring series for some reason.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
If they had them separately on the poll, but them merged the results, then that's just stupid. In no world is Diamond/Pearl even on the same level as Platinum. Platinum took everything thing that was good about those games and cranked it up to 20.

You can also tell that most of these 50,000 users are super hardcore Nintendo fanboys. Definitely a very good demographic to poll for this type of thing. Of course lots of Dragon Quest on this list, since Japan loves that boring series for some reason.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (PC) | Cassette Beasts (PC) | For The King (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,305
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
(Dec 27th, 2021, 10:41 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:

BRO AND SWORD/SHIELD WAS LIKE NEXT UP. Too many Zoomers in this poll honestly, holy shit.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (PC) | Cassette Beasts (PC) | For The King (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,305 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 

BRO AND SWORD/SHIELD WAS LIKE NEXT UP. Too many Zoomers in this poll honestly, holy shit.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728
Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
ooooh. I've played 63 of the games on the list!

yaaaaaaaay!

@Dragon Lord let it be known that I have Japanese taste because the only Tales game on this list is Abyss.

waiting for your inevitable trash taste comment
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728 Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 

yaaaaaaaay!

@Dragon Lord let it be known that I have Japanese taste because the only Tales game on this list is Abyss.

Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
(Dec 29th, 2021, 05:48 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

Yeah... and the fact that not only is Sw/Sh higher than Gold/Silver, but so is Black/White. Bleh. Like even if they haven't aged the best, the fact that Gold/Silver let us GO BACK TO KANTO AND FIGHT THE OG GYM LEADERS is enough to make it the best Pokemon games ever. Still waiting for another Pokemon game to let us do anything similar to that.  That shit blew my mind as a kid.

(Dec 29th, 2021, 07:36 AM)Monocle Wrote:

yaaaaaaaay!

It is pretty trash taste on their part, but like I said, obviously this poll was mostly Nintendo fanboys. Vesperia, Symphonia and Berseria >>>>>> Abyss at the very least. Can probably add Arise to that list as well. Hell, any Tales game that doesn't have that annoying little twat Luke is automatically better than Abyss.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
(Dec 29th, 2021, 05:48 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:

Yeah... and the fact that not only is Sw/Sh higher than Gold/Silver, but so is Black/White. Bleh. Like even if they haven't aged the best, the fact that Gold/Silver let us GO BACK TO KANTO AND FIGHT THE OG GYM LEADERS is enough to make it the best Pokemon games ever. Still waiting for another Pokemon game to let us do anything similar to that.  That shit blew my mind as a kid.

(Dec 29th, 2021, 07:36 AM)Monocle Wrote:

yaaaaaaaay!

It is pretty trash taste on their part, but like I said, obviously this poll was mostly Nintendo fanboys. Vesperia, Symphonia and Berseria >>>>>> Abyss at the very least. Can probably add Arise to that list as well. Hell, any Tales game that doesn't have that annoying little twat Luke is automatically better than Abyss.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Eh, one man's trash is another's treasure and vice versa. Just let people enjoy it I say. Tongue

Anyway, Nintendo is the biggest system in Japan almost always right? So it makes sense they show up a lot. A poll of this sort in the UK in the early 2000's would've probably been heavily dominated by PlayStation because the N64 and GameCube weren't nearly as popular as they were in other regions if I recall correctly.

The poll would probably also be heavily influenced by younger people because they're going to have the free time to interact with this, considering Japan is big on work culture and such which I expect leaves a lot of adults not prioritizing their time to participating in this. I believe the age range was 10-50+ but I'd love to see what end of that range the votes skew towards. Or even divide it into smaller ranges and see what changes.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Eh, one man's trash is another's treasure and vice versa. Just let people enjoy it I say. Tongue

Anyway, Nintendo is the biggest system in Japan almost always right? So it makes sense they show up a lot. A poll of this sort in the UK in the early 2000's would've probably been heavily dominated by PlayStation because the N64 and GameCube weren't nearly as popular as they were in other regions if I recall correctly.

The poll would probably also be heavily influenced by younger people because they're going to have the free time to interact with this, considering Japan is big on work culture and such which I expect leaves a lot of adults not prioritizing their time to participating in this. I believe the age range was 10-50+ but I'd love to see what end of that range the votes skew towards. Or even divide it into smaller ranges and see what changes.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728
Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
(Dec 29th, 2021, 04:00 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:

AAAAAHAHAHAHA. 

Abyss is excellent. no but seriously I'm surprised it's the only game on this list. Definitely don't like that it's Nintendo dominated and there's a bunch of Pokemon games. They don't differ much from generation to generation. Plus the fact that games like Apex ranked higher than games like Final Fantasy VI but scored lower on every nearly Japanese review tells me that there was, like you've all said, so many young gamers that voted on this totally skewing the rankings.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728 Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 

AAAAAHAHAHAHA. 

Abyss is excellent. no but seriously I'm surprised it's the only game on this list. Definitely don't like that it's Nintendo dominated and there's a bunch of Pokemon games. They don't differ much from generation to generation. Plus the fact that games like Apex ranked higher than games like Final Fantasy VI but scored lower on every nearly Japanese review tells me that there was, like you've all said, so many young gamers that voted on this totally skewing the rankings.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I wonder if any poll that can be voted on by everyone can even avoid being biased towards newer games? Newer games are not only in the wider public consciousness more but more people play games now than ever, so newer games are also more likely to get a bigger audience than the older stuff. Like isn't Sw/Sh the best selling Pokemon game or very close to it? If it got more players than say, Platinum, then that instantly makes it more likely to get more votes in a poll because of all the new players that picked up that game but not the earlier ones. It's really obvious when you see a game like Resident Evil in the poll results but only that game. Nothing newer is in there. Clearly that series hasn't seen a huge growth in Japan like other games in this list for the younger players to vote any of them, but older players managed to get the OG in the results. If a game isn't new and didn't resonate with a ton of people it just struggles to hold up in popularity polls with newer games, quality be damned. One game doing something better than a newer installment means squat if less people know about that older games feats than those who know about the newer game, which is probably what happened with Pokemon in here.

These types of polls are really best suited to splitting the ages into defined segments so that older and less consumed/memorized content isn't overshadowed by stuff that is guaranteed a bigger reception due to the growth of the industry.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I wonder if any poll that can be voted on by everyone can even avoid being biased towards newer games? Newer games are not only in the wider public consciousness more but more people play games now than ever, so newer games are also more likely to get a bigger audience than the older stuff. Like isn't Sw/Sh the best selling Pokemon game or very close to it? If it got more players than say, Platinum, then that instantly makes it more likely to get more votes in a poll because of all the new players that picked up that game but not the earlier ones. It's really obvious when you see a game like Resident Evil in the poll results but only that game. Nothing newer is in there. Clearly that series hasn't seen a huge growth in Japan like other games in this list for the younger players to vote any of them, but older players managed to get the OG in the results. If a game isn't new and didn't resonate with a ton of people it just struggles to hold up in popularity polls with newer games, quality be damned. One game doing something better than a newer installment means squat if less people know about that older games feats than those who know about the newer game, which is probably what happened with Pokemon in here.

These types of polls are really best suited to splitting the ages into defined segments so that older and less consumed/memorized content isn't overshadowed by stuff that is guaranteed a bigger reception due to the growth of the industry.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
(Dec 29th, 2021, 05:03 PM)Monocle Wrote:

AAAAAHAHAHAHA. 

Pretty sure Dragon Quest is hogging up more of the list than Pokemon, and not much changes from game to game in that series either. Probably less than Pokemon even. There's a lot of RPGs that could be up on this list that are more deserving than most DQ games.

Apex has been gaining a lot of traction in Japan lately for a couple of reasons:

1) A lot of the Hololive girls play it, and so fans started playing it too in hopes to get into a lobby with their favorite talents.
2) Competitive gaming and PC gaming in general has been getting more popular in Japan compared to years ago. 

So I'm not too surprised to see it up on this list. The fact that the Hololive girls are giving the game a lot of exposure in Japan alone is enough to boost the game's popularity.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
(Dec 29th, 2021, 05:03 PM)Monocle Wrote:

AAAAAHAHAHAHA. 

Pretty sure Dragon Quest is hogging up more of the list than Pokemon, and not much changes from game to game in that series either. Probably less than Pokemon even. There's a lot of RPGs that could be up on this list that are more deserving than most DQ games.

Apex has been gaining a lot of traction in Japan lately for a couple of reasons:

1) A lot of the Hololive girls play it, and so fans started playing it too in hopes to get into a lobby with their favorite talents.
2) Competitive gaming and PC gaming in general has been getting more popular in Japan compared to years ago. 

So I'm not too surprised to see it up on this list. The fact that the Hololive girls are giving the game a lot of exposure in Japan alone is enough to boost the game's popularity.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Do you know why the Hololive girls took up Apex in particular @Dragon Lord? I already found it unexpected for the game to be in the poll but to know that that group of people are heavily into it is just as or even more unexpected to me. Gasp

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Do you know why the Hololive girls took up Apex in particular @Dragon Lord? I already found it unexpected for the game to be in the poll but to know that that group of people are heavily into it is just as or even more unexpected to me. Gasp

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do You View Smash Bros. as a Party Game or a Fighting Game? Moonface 5 848 Aug 2nd, 2023, 03:38 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  Game creator Content ID'd on his own game Maniakkid25 4 4,974 Dec 7th, 2019, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Moonface