Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,148
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Quite surprised how the original Super Smash Bros got in and higher than I thought it would be but no sign of Melee, only two Mario Karts as I was expecting MK8 to be in the list at least for how recent it is. Other things look right like many Pokémon and Dragon Quest games with a majority of Nintendo.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,148 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Quite surprised how the original Super Smash Bros got in and higher than I thought it would be but no sign of Melee, only two Mario Karts as I was expecting MK8 to be in the list at least for how recent it is. Other things look right like many Pokémon and Dragon Quest games with a majority of Nintendo.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Stellar Blade | Sword of the Necromancer | Bravely Default II | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,818
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
(Dec 29th, 2021, 06:30 PM)Moonface Wrote:
Do you know why the Hololive girls took up Apex in particular @Dragon Lord? I already found it unexpected for the game to be in the poll but to know that that group of people are heavily into it is just as or even more unexpected to me. Gasp

A number of the Hololive members really enjoy competitive games, and with how Hololive needs to get permission from the companies to play their games, it could be that Apex Legends is the only online competitive game that has given them the OK to play.
2023 Platinum Goal: 3/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Sword of the Vagrant
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Stellar Blade | Sword of the Necromancer | Bravely Default II | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,818 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Do you know why the Hololive girls took up Apex in particular @Dragon Lord? I already found it unexpected for the game to be in the poll but to know that that group of people are heavily into it is just as or even more unexpected to me. Gasp

A number of the Hololive members really enjoy competitive games, and with how Hololive needs to get permission from the companies to play their games, it could be that Apex Legends is the only online competitive game that has given them the OK to play.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728
Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
Yeah I don't follow that stuff so I had no idea lmao

dragon quest is no surprise to me because it's ridiculously popular over there. has been since day 1.

Honestly the list itself doesn't mean much to me because we have two totally different cultures and preferences. plus it's only 50,000 out of millions of Japanese citizens.

i want something like that to be run here but I see shitty things like bots ruining the true result. I also see things like how the first anime awards were purely based on votes and something like Yuri On Ice won EVERY award it was nominated in when it is far from being anime of the year in 2017 with anime like Erased, Mob Psycho, MHA s1, and Re:Zero all airing in 2017. But yaoi and insane fanboyism skewed the results to the point that early every anituber was infuriated about the results.
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728 Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
Yeah I don't follow that stuff so I had no idea lmao

dragon quest is no surprise to me because it's ridiculously popular over there. has been since day 1.

Honestly the list itself doesn't mean much to me because we have two totally different cultures and preferences. plus it's only 50,000 out of millions of Japanese citizens.

i want something like that to be run here but I see shitty things like bots ruining the true result. I also see things like how the first anime awards were purely based on votes and something like Yuri On Ice won EVERY award it was nominated in when it is far from being anime of the year in 2017 with anime like Erased, Mob Psycho, MHA s1, and Re:Zero all airing in 2017. But yaoi and insane fanboyism skewed the results to the point that early every anituber was infuriated about the results.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,742
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Dec 29th, 2021, 09:21 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
Hololive has to get permission? How come? I'm not aware of any other streaming style service needing to do that. Or it is because Hololive operates as a company and is using something produced by a third party as a company to generate money? Huh

@Monocle: I recall IGN holding a publicly open poll a few months ago on Twitter (and apparently other social media channels) to determine the best game of all time, and some of the games getting through were questionable not so much because they were bad but just because they were beating games that far surpassed them. That didn't happen so much because of the voters though but because it was done as a vs. style tournament, so games that were up against weak competition managed to go far while some really strong games got knocked out early because of being drawn into a poll against another very strong game. I can't remember what won in the end though...
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,742 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Hololive has to get permission? How come? I'm not aware of any other streaming style service needing to do that. Or it is because Hololive operates as a company and is using something produced by a third party as a company to generate money? Huh

@Monocle: I recall IGN holding a publicly open poll a few months ago on Twitter (and apparently other social media channels) to determine the best game of all time, and some of the games getting through were questionable not so much because they were bad but just because they were beating games that far surpassed them. That didn't happen so much because of the voters though but because it was done as a vs. style tournament, so games that were up against weak competition managed to go far while some really strong games got knocked out early because of being drawn into a poll against another very strong game. I can't remember what won in the end though...
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728
Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
@Moonface

That's fucking stupid. Why would you hold it tournament style in the first place? IGN continuing to be a crappy game journalism site
Monocle Offline
o.q
Currently Playing
A lot! weep
Favourite Platform(s)
PC! Emulatiooooon
Pronouns
Yes
XP: 5,728 Super Mario Bros. Borderlands 
@Moonface

That's fucking stupid. Why would you hold it tournament style in the first place? IGN continuing to be a crappy game journalism site
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
(Dec 31st, 2021, 11:09 PM)Moonface Wrote:

It's due to Japanese laws iirc. The laws for this type of thing are completely different over there than they are in the US and probably most of Europe. In Japan they can't do anything without the consent of the company who owns the rights to the game. At least when it comes to another company profiting off of the use of a game. I don't know how this affects normal streamers, but Hololive is completely handcuffed by whether or not a company will let them monetize streams of their games.

So if you ever notice that a certain game is suddenly being played by tons of Hololive members all at once, that's a pretty good indication that it's because they just got permission to play said game, haha.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
(Dec 31st, 2021, 11:09 PM)Moonface Wrote:

It's due to Japanese laws iirc. The laws for this type of thing are completely different over there than they are in the US and probably most of Europe. In Japan they can't do anything without the consent of the company who owns the rights to the game. At least when it comes to another company profiting off of the use of a game. I don't know how this affects normal streamers, but Hololive is completely handcuffed by whether or not a company will let them monetize streams of their games.

So if you ever notice that a certain game is suddenly being played by tons of Hololive members all at once, that's a pretty good indication that it's because they just got permission to play said game, haha.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Monocle: So I managed to find the images for the start of IGN's "tournament" and the end of it too: Starting  Brackets | Final Results
I forgot it shows the percentages of what each game got in each face-off, which can show how some of the contests were either really close or just entirely one-sided.

@Dragon Lord: Ah. I expect normal streamers on platforms like Twitch and YouTube would be exempt from the rule, since those companies are already allowing creators to profit by making content with games and so that alone should be pretty obvious it applies to everyone on the platform, at least in regions were the platform is available and can be streamed to. Do you know of any games that Hololive haven't received permission for?

So it looks like the ESA may have given up on E3 entirely at this point, as despite announcing that E3 2022 would be a digital event due to Covid, there's word going around that the ESA abandoned their dates for the LACC back in mid-November, which is prior to the new Covid variant the ESA is blaming for the change to E3's plans for this year:

I wouldn't be surprised if the ESA realised their time is up after last year. They weren't needed for the companies to all have conferences within a single week, and there's nothing they can provide any longer to all the publishers because they can just host whatever event they want themselves. Personally I'm not bothered so long as the publishers all hold big conferences within a single week, just because it worked out way better last year for everybody compared to the sporadic method of 2020's summer period. Microsoft can hold a physical conference themselves with their own venue, and EA have been doing that themselves with EA Play even when E3 was still a physical event.

The only loss E3 has for me is the live crowd reactions, but if publishers find their own ways to bring that back without having to go through the ESA and all the headaches that entails, then I can't really see what else the apparent death of E3 will take with it to the grave that's notable. Errm

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Monocle: So I managed to find the images for the start of IGN's "tournament" and the end of it too: Starting  Brackets | Final Results
I forgot it shows the percentages of what each game got in each face-off, which can show how some of the contests were either really close or just entirely one-sided.

@Dragon Lord: Ah. I expect normal streamers on platforms like Twitch and YouTube would be exempt from the rule, since those companies are already allowing creators to profit by making content with games and so that alone should be pretty obvious it applies to everyone on the platform, at least in regions were the platform is available and can be streamed to. Do you know of any games that Hololive haven't received permission for?

So it looks like the ESA may have given up on E3 entirely at this point, as despite announcing that E3 2022 would be a digital event due to Covid, there's word going around that the ESA abandoned their dates for the LACC back in mid-November, which is prior to the new Covid variant the ESA is blaming for the change to E3's plans for this year:

I wouldn't be surprised if the ESA realised their time is up after last year. They weren't needed for the companies to all have conferences within a single week, and there's nothing they can provide any longer to all the publishers because they can just host whatever event they want themselves. Personally I'm not bothered so long as the publishers all hold big conferences within a single week, just because it worked out way better last year for everybody compared to the sporadic method of 2020's summer period. Microsoft can hold a physical conference themselves with their own venue, and EA have been doing that themselves with EA Play even when E3 was still a physical event.

The only loss E3 has for me is the live crowd reactions, but if publishers find their own ways to bring that back without having to go through the ESA and all the headaches that entails, then I can't really see what else the apparent death of E3 will take with it to the grave that's notable. Errm
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (PC) | Cassette Beasts (PC) | For The King (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,266
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
E3 was definitely one of those things that didn't age well with the times. I think once Nintendo started going digital, it was the beginning of the end with the format. From there, it was slowly flittering out until it got the final nail in the coffin with COVID.

It's certainly unfortunate to see it go but I think how we get our news these days is just as efficient and effective as before, even moreso I'd say.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,266 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
E3 was definitely one of those things that didn't age well with the times. I think once Nintendo started going digital, it was the beginning of the end with the format. From there, it was slowly flittering out until it got the final nail in the coffin with COVID.

It's certainly unfortunate to see it go but I think how we get our news these days is just as efficient and effective as before, even moreso I'd say.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, Nintendo going digital and getting the exact same results from it as having a physical E3 conference proved that E3 wasn't needed for showing games. I think it only continued on as it did because of the show floor side of it, which a digital event can't do unless everything gets a demo to download. Sony leaving I think was what marked the tipping point, because then EA pulled out and that halved the number of big publishers actually using E3. Bethesda is now out too if we factor in the Xbox acquisition, which removed yet another publisher.

There's just nothing the ESA can provide to the publishers anymore. Back in the day gaming wasn't so big to allow companies to hold multiple events by themselves in a year, whereas now we have Sony and Nintendo both happily tossing together multiple announcements and showcases into State of Play's and Directs, and I could see Xbox doing the same now they have so many games and studios under their belt.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, Nintendo going digital and getting the exact same results from it as having a physical E3 conference proved that E3 wasn't needed for showing games. I think it only continued on as it did because of the show floor side of it, which a digital event can't do unless everything gets a demo to download. Sony leaving I think was what marked the tipping point, because then EA pulled out and that halved the number of big publishers actually using E3. Bethesda is now out too if we factor in the Xbox acquisition, which removed yet another publisher.

There's just nothing the ESA can provide to the publishers anymore. Back in the day gaming wasn't so big to allow companies to hold multiple events by themselves in a year, whereas now we have Sony and Nintendo both happily tossing together multiple announcements and showcases into State of Play's and Directs, and I could see Xbox doing the same now they have so many games and studios under their belt.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
There's a new Nintendo Direct airing tomorrow for upcoming games in the first half of this year:

My "bingo" card of what I think will show up:
  • Brief trailer for Kingdom Hearts since that collection releases on the 10th
  • Triangle Strategy
  • Chocobo GP
  • Rune Factory 5
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land
  • Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp
I'd hope for some games without dates to turn up in here as being the first half of the year, but if that happens I doubt anything huge will show. I've seen some speculation of BotW2 being a Summer 2022 release but I think that game will end up getting its own Direct to share that news.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
There's a new Nintendo Direct airing tomorrow for upcoming games in the first half of this year:

My "bingo" card of what I think will show up:
  • Brief trailer for Kingdom Hearts since that collection releases on the 10th
  • Triangle Strategy
  • Chocobo GP
  • Rune Factory 5
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land
  • Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp
I'd hope for some games without dates to turn up in here as being the first half of the year, but if that happens I doubt anything huge will show. I've seen some speculation of BotW2 being a Summer 2022 release but I think that game will end up getting its own Direct to share that news.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,266
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
4/6 ain't bad my love!

Disappointed with the lack of updates on existing stuff, like for Mario Golf or Mario Party Superstars. Other than that, it was a solid direct. Lots of left field surprises like a new entry in the Mario Strikers series, Klonoa being brought back, and Chrono Cross getting ported/remastered.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,266 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
4/6 ain't bad my love!

Disappointed with the lack of updates on existing stuff, like for Mario Golf or Mario Party Superstars. Other than that, it was a solid direct. Lots of left field surprises like a new entry in the Mario Strikers series, Klonoa being brought back, and Chrono Cross getting ported/remastered.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,148
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Even though it begun with a new Fire Emblem Warriors based on Three Houses, with Mario Strikers revealed after, the beginning was nuts for me. I did enjoy seeing the characters of FE:TH again although did kill the anticipation of a brand new FE, but I rolled with it anyway. Strikers blew me away, reveals after that were either pretty good, some I found good but don't want, or I didn't care for, but nothing brought me up like Strikers. Triangle Strategy and Xenoblade 3 were the other main ones that caught my eye.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,148 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Even though it begun with a new Fire Emblem Warriors based on Three Houses, with Mario Strikers revealed after, the beginning was nuts for me. I did enjoy seeing the characters of FE:TH again although did kill the anticipation of a brand new FE, but I rolled with it anyway. Strikers blew me away, reveals after that were either pretty good, some I found good but don't want, or I didn't care for, but nothing brought me up like Strikers. Triangle Strategy and Xenoblade 3 were the other main ones that caught my eye.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
10/10 for the Chrono Cross Remaster alone. Very happy it'll be on PS and Steam as well so it's not trapped on the Switch. Missing the chance to have CC without trophies/achievements would be criminal. There's so much to collect in this game, I really hope they do it justice and require TRUE 100% for the platinum.

Live A Live is very interesting. Always heard good things about it, has somewhat of a cult following in the West. Sad that it's going to be a prisoner on the Switch instead of having a port on a better system, but I might still pick it up. Hopefully it's as good as I've always heard.

Triangle Strategy still looks like a 10/10 game. Cannot wait to enjoy this lovechild of Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre.

Also interesting that Nintendo is giving us the first Mother game for the very first time, along with Mother 2 (Earthbound) on NSO, but still no signs of ever getting Mother 3 in the west, which is the most highly praised of the three games in the Mother series.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
10/10 for the Chrono Cross Remaster alone. Very happy it'll be on PS and Steam as well so it's not trapped on the Switch. Missing the chance to have CC without trophies/achievements would be criminal. There's so much to collect in this game, I really hope they do it justice and require TRUE 100% for the platinum.

Live A Live is very interesting. Always heard good things about it, has somewhat of a cult following in the West. Sad that it's going to be a prisoner on the Switch instead of having a port on a better system, but I might still pick it up. Hopefully it's as good as I've always heard.

Triangle Strategy still looks like a 10/10 game. Cannot wait to enjoy this lovechild of Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre.

Also interesting that Nintendo is giving us the first Mother game for the very first time, along with Mother 2 (Earthbound) on NSO, but still no signs of ever getting Mother 3 in the west, which is the most highly praised of the three games in the Mother series.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
An overall much better Direct than I went in expecting, mostly for reasons everyone else has mentioned already. Live A Live looked really interesting and I definitely want to learn more about that game in particular; anything HD 2D will always grab my initial attention. Love that art style.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
An overall much better Direct than I went in expecting, mostly for reasons everyone else has mentioned already. Live A Live looked really interesting and I definitely want to learn more about that game in particular; anything HD 2D will always grab my initial attention. Love that art style.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Yesss. 2D HD (or 2.5 HD as some like to call it) is such a beautiful graphics style. I can't wait for the upcoming Dragon Quest III remake that is also using 2.5HD as its graphic style. Game looked gorgeous from the brief footage we got in the reveal trailer.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Yesss. 2D HD (or 2.5 HD as some like to call it) is such a beautiful graphics style. I can't wait for the upcoming Dragon Quest III remake that is also using 2.5HD as its graphic style. Game looked gorgeous from the brief footage we got in the reveal trailer.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do You View Smash Bros. as a Party Game or a Fighting Game? Moonface 5 815 Aug 2nd, 2023, 03:38 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  Game creator Content ID'd on his own game Maniakkid25 4 4,951 Dec 7th, 2019, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Moonface