Phasmophobia | 2024 Roadmap and Beyond...
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Stellar Blade | Sword of the Necromancer | Bravely Default II | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,818
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Yeah, it can be tough to tell the difference between a Ghost Event and a Hunt. The easiest way to tell is if you have a female ghost and you hear her singing "Ring around the Rosie", because they only actually sing the words during an Event. If you hear her humming it, then run, because that is a hunt.

Another way to tell is if you see the ghost and it's solid, then it's an Event. Ghosts will always be blinking in and out during a hunt, so if that isn't happening, you know you're safe.

Or if you can see the door to the building is still open, but that of course requires the ghost to be in a place within view of the door, which is only realistic on small maps.
2023 Platinum Goal: 3/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Sword of the Vagrant
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Stellar Blade | Sword of the Necromancer | Bravely Default II | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,818 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Yeah, it can be tough to tell the difference between a Ghost Event and a Hunt. The easiest way to tell is if you have a female ghost and you hear her singing "Ring around the Rosie", because they only actually sing the words during an Event. If you hear her humming it, then run, because that is a hunt.

Another way to tell is if you see the ghost and it's solid, then it's an Event. Ghosts will always be blinking in and out during a hunt, so if that isn't happening, you know you're safe.

Or if you can see the door to the building is still open, but that of course requires the ghost to be in a place within view of the door, which is only realistic on small maps.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,665
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Oh, the front door doesn't shut every time there's a hunt? I thought that was a mechanic regardless of map size to play into the idea of the ghost trapping you and hunting you down.

Are there any signs a hunt has started if you're not near the ghost when it begins, and there isn't any singing?
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,665 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Oh, the front door doesn't shut every time there's a hunt? I thought that was a mechanic regardless of map size to play into the idea of the ghost trapping you and hunting you down.

Are there any signs a hunt has started if you're not near the ghost when it begins, and there isn't any singing?
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
The door does always shut when the ghost is hunting. It doesn't shut every time there's a ghost even though. There are a couple of Ghost Events that the ghost will shut the front door, but for the most part it will remain open when the ghost is doing an event.

The only sign you could possibly pick up on is hearing the front door close and the *click* of the door locking. Other than that, there is no way to tell the ghost is hunting if you're far away unless you hear a teammate yell, "IT'S HUNTING!" You used to be able to tell by trying to use your global chat and just hearing static, but I think global chat works during hunts now, so that ghosts can pick up on your location if you happen to use it during a hunt. Though I could be wrong.

As for if there isn't singing, in that case you just need to listen for any of the other sounds it can make while hunting. Female ghosts will cry or giggle while hunting, male ghosts will make various groaning sounds or be talking. If you can hear it, if you hear the EMF just going off non-stop, then you know it might be hunting as well. That's why I was trying to remember to leave an EMF turned on in the area the ghost was while we were playing.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
The door does always shut when the ghost is hunting. It doesn't shut every time there's a ghost even though. There are a couple of Ghost Events that the ghost will shut the front door, but for the most part it will remain open when the ghost is doing an event.

The only sign you could possibly pick up on is hearing the front door close and the *click* of the door locking. Other than that, there is no way to tell the ghost is hunting if you're far away unless you hear a teammate yell, "IT'S HUNTING!" You used to be able to tell by trying to use your global chat and just hearing static, but I think global chat works during hunts now, so that ghosts can pick up on your location if you happen to use it during a hunt. Though I could be wrong.

As for if there isn't singing, in that case you just need to listen for any of the other sounds it can make while hunting. Female ghosts will cry or giggle while hunting, male ghosts will make various groaning sounds or be talking. If you can hear it, if you hear the EMF just going off non-stop, then you know it might be hunting as well. That's why I was trying to remember to leave an EMF turned on in the area the ghost was while we were playing.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
So I'm looking to get some Phas going this weekend! Elite has the weekend off, so he can join us, so I'm thinking Sunday morning for us NA peeps, pending on what EL would be available his time.

Who wants to join?
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
So I'm looking to get some Phas going this weekend! Elite has the weekend off, so he can join us, so I'm thinking Sunday morning for us NA peeps, pending on what EL would be available his time.

Who wants to join?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I should be free to play for a bit so long as I don't wake up with my typical Sunday migraine. XD

As a curiosity, I know that if you carry an electronic object and have it turned on during a hunt the ghost will be able to better find your hiding spot, so I assume that those items can attract the ghost. Does it attract them at all if they're on and on the floor at all? Like if I just dropped my EMF reader on the floor of a closet and hid in it would the ghost be able to find me as if I was still holding it physically?

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I should be free to play for a bit so long as I don't wake up with my typical Sunday migraine. XD

As a curiosity, I know that if you carry an electronic object and have it turned on during a hunt the ghost will be able to better find your hiding spot, so I assume that those items can attract the ghost. Does it attract them at all if they're on and on the floor at all? Like if I just dropped my EMF reader on the floor of a closet and hid in it would the ghost be able to find me as if I was still holding it physically?
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
I don't actually know if items on the floor will lead the ghost to where you are. The streamers that I watch play the game tend not to hold onto items other than their flashlight. Any other electronic items they keep in the ghost room. So maybe that's a sign that they can? I know the... I forgot how to spell the name, but one of the ghosts speeds up if there are electronics on near it, and items on the floor do give it its speed boost if they are on.

I guess the safest bet would be just to make sure you don't have any electronics on near you when you're hiding. Just in case the ghost gets lured to it and then happens to find you in the process.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
I don't actually know if items on the floor will lead the ghost to where you are. The streamers that I watch play the game tend not to hold onto items other than their flashlight. Any other electronic items they keep in the ghost room. So maybe that's a sign that they can? I know the... I forgot how to spell the name, but one of the ghosts speeds up if there are electronics on near it, and items on the floor do give it its speed boost if they are on.

I guess the safest bet would be just to make sure you don't have any electronics on near you when you're hiding. Just in case the ghost gets lured to it and then happens to find you in the process.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
It'd be neat if putting items on the floor could actually cause a ghost to break them out of annoyance, but not maybe where you have to buy new ones but just prevent further use of them in the current game. Maybe make it a professional difficulty thing, and maybe for cameras it just disables them so you have to turn them back on. Maybe even have everything just turns off and the ghost relies on you turning them back on to hunt you down by tracking the electric signal.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
It'd be neat if putting items on the floor could actually cause a ghost to break them out of annoyance, but not maybe where you have to buy new ones but just prevent further use of them in the current game. Maybe make it a professional difficulty thing, and maybe for cameras it just disables them so you have to turn them back on. Maybe even have everything just turns off and the ghost relies on you turning them back on to hunt you down by tracking the electric signal.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
I'm kind of surprised that the cameras that are on maps by default aren't tied to the breaker, and won't be on until you go turn the power on. While normally these cameras don't serve any purpose, there are some times you can actually find where the ghost is on a larger map by finding ghost orbs on the default cameras. I've seen it happen multiple times in Prison. So while not a 100% thing, it can definitely happen and that's a huge advantage for the players when it does.

As for equipment breaking, I think that's a neat concept, but could end up putting players in a position where it's impossible to get evidence. Like say it's an EMF 5 ghost, but it breaks all of your EMF readers before giving you EMF 5. Or a Spirit Box ghost and destroys your Sprit Boxes before it replies. I think that's a major reason why they won't do something like that. Nightmare is already challenging to get the ghost right on due to only giving two evidence instead of three, and equipment breaking could just end up making it a pure blind guess for the ghost.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
I'm kind of surprised that the cameras that are on maps by default aren't tied to the breaker, and won't be on until you go turn the power on. While normally these cameras don't serve any purpose, there are some times you can actually find where the ghost is on a larger map by finding ghost orbs on the default cameras. I've seen it happen multiple times in Prison. So while not a 100% thing, it can definitely happen and that's a huge advantage for the players when it does.

As for equipment breaking, I think that's a neat concept, but could end up putting players in a position where it's impossible to get evidence. Like say it's an EMF 5 ghost, but it breaks all of your EMF readers before giving you EMF 5. Or a Spirit Box ghost and destroys your Sprit Boxes before it replies. I think that's a major reason why they won't do something like that. Nightmare is already challenging to get the ghost right on due to only giving two evidence instead of three, and equipment breaking could just end up making it a pure blind guess for the ghost.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Good point on the item destruction. In that case I'd go with my suggestion of just turning it off to lure players in to turn it back on. Maybe have a rare chance that upon turning an item back on that you hold a hunt begins because it's a trap and using the item being on to track you down easier.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Good point on the item destruction. In that case I'd go with my suggestion of just turning it off to lure players in to turn it back on. Maybe have a rare chance that upon turning an item back on that you hold a hunt begins because it's a trap and using the item being on to track you down easier.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
I think that idea would be neat incorporated into a new ghost type. One that has a chance to get angry and start hunting if you turn on an electronic device near it. Especially on larger maps when you don't know where the ghost is, and you just happen to turn something on and all of a sudden you have angy ghost chasing your ass down and strangling you.

Though I guess that could also make it too easy to figure out that ghost type as well. Though you'd have to figure out if it was because of that or if it was because it's a demon, who can hunt at any sanity%.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
I think that idea would be neat incorporated into a new ghost type. One that has a chance to get angry and start hunting if you turn on an electronic device near it. Especially on larger maps when you don't know where the ghost is, and you just happen to turn something on and all of a sudden you have angy ghost chasing your ass down and strangling you.

Though I guess that could also make it too easy to figure out that ghost type as well. Though you'd have to figure out if it was because of that or if it was because it's a demon, who can hunt at any sanity%.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Here's a question for all who play this; do you think dead players should communicate in any way to the living with hints about where the ghost is or any other type of hint?

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Here's a question for all who play this; do you think dead players should communicate in any way to the living with hints about where the ghost is or any other type of hint?
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,129
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Not by speech obviously, but I've seen Yes/No questions work by a dead player dropping an item that can be picked up inside the house for one of the answers before. Or pick up between two different items, for Yes/No and maybe a third option for don't know.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,129 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Not by speech obviously, but I've seen Yes/No questions work by a dead player dropping an item that can be picked up inside the house for one of the answers before. Or pick up between two different items, for Yes/No and maybe a third option for don't know.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (PC) | Cassette Beasts (PC) | For The King (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,259
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Wait I thought you couldn't interact with anything as a dead player? Hmm
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (PC) | Cassette Beasts (PC) | For The King (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,259 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Feb 21st, 2022, 04:34 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Dead players can pick environmental objects up and throw them. I was doing that to all the stuff in the house where @Mr EliteL died in the kitchen.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Feb 21st, 2022, 04:34 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Dead players can pick environmental objects up and throw them. I was doing that to all the stuff in the house where @Mr EliteL died in the kitchen.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Yeah, dead players can pick up some of the items. They can't interact with any of the equipment, but you can pick up any of the random shit around the house that you can pick up when you're alive (pictures, stuffed animals, balls, dishes, etc.) and throw them around. I was following Moon around throwing stuff at him when I died, haha.

It can be kind of useful to help out the alive players too. If they pay attention to you, you can throw items in specific spots to be like, "Hey, move the crucifix here, this is where the ghost is spawning when it hunts!" or "Hey, this is the room the ghost is spawning in!" Obviously it depends on just how much your teammates are paying attention, but it can be a useful trick.

As for further interaction with the dead, I'm not sure. I know in Forewarned, dead players become mummies and they can still interact with the living, even talk to them, though their voice is super distorted and difficult to understand, but you can talk with them if you're able to hear what they're saying. In Phas, I don't know if that'd make the game too easy or not. Maybe they could do something cool and allow the dead to talk with the living if there's an active Spirit Box nearby, kind of like talking on the radio for global chat. But it'd only work if there was an active Spirit Box in the same room as a dead player. The only issue I can see arising from this is if you're talking as a dead player through the spirit box, and the ghost also responds on it at the same time, the living player(s) might not hear the ghost's response because you're talking over it.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
Yeah, dead players can pick up some of the items. They can't interact with any of the equipment, but you can pick up any of the random shit around the house that you can pick up when you're alive (pictures, stuffed animals, balls, dishes, etc.) and throw them around. I was following Moon around throwing stuff at him when I died, haha.

It can be kind of useful to help out the alive players too. If they pay attention to you, you can throw items in specific spots to be like, "Hey, move the crucifix here, this is where the ghost is spawning when it hunts!" or "Hey, this is the room the ghost is spawning in!" Obviously it depends on just how much your teammates are paying attention, but it can be a useful trick.

As for further interaction with the dead, I'm not sure. I know in Forewarned, dead players become mummies and they can still interact with the living, even talk to them, though their voice is super distorted and difficult to understand, but you can talk with them if you're able to hear what they're saying. In Phas, I don't know if that'd make the game too easy or not. Maybe they could do something cool and allow the dead to talk with the living if there's an active Spirit Box nearby, kind of like talking on the radio for global chat. But it'd only work if there was an active Spirit Box in the same room as a dead player. The only issue I can see arising from this is if you're talking as a dead player through the spirit box, and the ghost also responds on it at the same time, the living player(s) might not hear the ghost's response because you're talking over it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suikoden (Series) | HD Remasters Delayed to 2024 Moonface 9 1,613 Sep 9th, 2023, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Moonface