Race Tracks in Games
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,645
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
What are your favourite tracks in racing games? What's your most and least liked track in each racing game you've played? Do you prefer short tracks or long tracks?

My favourite tracks in CTR: NF (split by game and DLC) are N. Gin Labs, Electron Avenue, and Prehistoric Playground, and the least favourites are Turbo Track (that double U-turn section is garbage), Inferno Island (just a boring track) and Drive-Thru Danger (not a fan of how tight all the corners are).

As for long or short track preference, I prefer longer tracks. Short ones end up feeling repetitive because unless it's a kart racer that forces three laps all the time, then most games will put a higher lap count on shorter tracks while longer ones get fewer. Although, even if a longer track had a lot of laps, I don't find it gets as repetitive because it takes longer to get back to something you've been through already so the feeling of variety lasts longer.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,645 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
What are your favourite tracks in racing games? What's your most and least liked track in each racing game you've played? Do you prefer short tracks or long tracks?

My favourite tracks in CTR: NF (split by game and DLC) are N. Gin Labs, Electron Avenue, and Prehistoric Playground, and the least favourites are Turbo Track (that double U-turn section is garbage), Inferno Island (just a boring track) and Drive-Thru Danger (not a fan of how tight all the corners are).

As for long or short track preference, I prefer longer tracks. Short ones end up feeling repetitive because unless it's a kart racer that forces three laps all the time, then most games will put a higher lap count on shorter tracks while longer ones get fewer. Although, even if a longer track had a lot of laps, I don't find it gets as repetitive because it takes longer to get back to something you've been through already so the feeling of variety lasts longer.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,187
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Super short tracks, like Baby Park in Mario Kart, I find are very taste-specific. I love them for the pure chaotic nature that ensues when you get everyone in close quarters with a bunch of items.

My favorite long-form track are lapless courses, where you put checkpoints to simulate "laps" and end up in one place at the end. A true race to the finish!
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,187 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Super short tracks, like Baby Park in Mario Kart, I find are very taste-specific. I love them for the pure chaotic nature that ensues when you get everyone in close quarters with a bunch of items.

My favorite long-form track are lapless courses, where you put checkpoints to simulate "laps" and end up in one place at the end. A true race to the finish!
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,944
Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
I've played quite a few racing games, but the main ones were the Grand Prix series (which featured recreations of real-world race tracks), and the LEGO Racers games.

From the former, I always enjoyed driving Hockenheim (due to its high-speed blasts through the forests), and Monte Carlo (since the barriers provided a unique challenge).

From the latter, the Desert Adventure Dragway was always good fun: I liked the Egyptian theming and the hidden underground shortcuts. (Not very well-hidden, but then, it was a kid's game!!!)
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,944 Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
I've played quite a few racing games, but the main ones were the Grand Prix series (which featured recreations of real-world race tracks), and the LEGO Racers games.

From the former, I always enjoyed driving Hockenheim (due to its high-speed blasts through the forests), and Monte Carlo (since the barriers provided a unique challenge).

From the latter, the Desert Adventure Dragway was always good fun: I liked the Egyptian theming and the hidden underground shortcuts. (Not very well-hidden, but then, it was a kid's game!!!)
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Kyng: The only games I've played that featured real life tracks are the first Gran Turismo game and the first Formula 1 game for PS1. I can't really remember much about the latter, but I loved the Special Stages in GT because they took place at night and were also the games only city based tracks.

Rayman M has really unique courses for a racing game since it doesn't use vehicles and is entirely on foot, so those courses have a lot of platforming which obviously isn't possible for most racing games. Tongue

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
@Kyng: The only games I've played that featured real life tracks are the first Gran Turismo game and the first Formula 1 game for PS1. I can't really remember much about the latter, but I loved the Special Stages in GT because they took place at night and were also the games only city based tracks.

Rayman M has really unique courses for a racing game since it doesn't use vehicles and is entirely on foot, so those courses have a lot of platforming which obviously isn't possible for most racing games. Tongue
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,093
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I'm kinda mixed on if I prefer short over long, as there could be a track that's long but I dislike it so when I have to play that it's tedious or annoying. If it's short it's kinda annoying but can be over quicker. XD

I don't really have favourite tracks from the games I've played on PS1. Nor do I remember disliking any, but I probably did. Even Lego Racers and that's a game I would play again too but I lost my memory card. I did watch a video of the tracks but just don't remember  which I liked or not.

Moving on to the racing games I played after that would be Mario Kart Super Circuit and Double Dash. Yeah I know I could talk about Mario Kart in it's respective topic, but here I want to include them with other games I've played, but will be the most I'll write about. Actually I'll do Mario Kart as a whole, well the games I've got anyway. I'll mention mainly favourites of mine.
Most Bower's Castle tracks are among my tracks I really enjoy playing on, only SC's BC1 is bland. For Rainbow Roads Double Dash's is my favourite. Wii's is good, others differ because of their easy tendency for you to fall off. Sure DD & Wii do too but I can handle them the best. Haven't played enough of MK8's to decide.
Baby Park is an exception for being so short yet one of the best MK tracks purely for the carnage items brings, unless you're playing with no items on. Disliked it got a lap reduction in MKDS. On the flip side Wario Colosseum being so long and fun is one of my favourites too, annoyed by the lap count though, should've been 3 like everything else normally is.
Yoshi's Valley having multiple routes in the middle is both cool and if not used to the track, easy to get the wrong turn, yet it became a good track to me and glad it got remade in MK8. Koopa Cape I like for the water inclusion, Daisy Circuit purely for Luigi/Daisy so I automatically enjoy driving on it. Delfino Square on the DS, I grew to enjoy that most on Wii.

For Sonic Racing Transformed Adder's Lair is hands down my favourite. The design, features, skeleton at the beginning, music even gets me really pumped up for racing on there. The announcer calling crap out kinda ruins it (was there an option to remove the twat?), but I try to ignore that. Race of Ages comes in second, despite being like the Rainbow Road for SR Transformed with easy to fall off areas, but the later section with the wavy water and if you drive well enough on the early section makes for a cool ride. :3

For Crash Team Racing it's EASILY Electron Avenue, absolutely adore that track. Nothing comes close, and I have a hard time deciding what I like after that. Papu's Pyramid perhaps, even though it's very easy once you know how to do shortcuts, but that can be said for pretty all or most of the tracks. Tiny Arena maybe, being more enclosed with tall walls....ahh who am I kidding, Electron Avenue makes all the other tracks either simply OK to good if I know how to drive on the track or instant dislike for me. Agree with Moony about Turbo Track and Drive-Thru Danger for the same reasons. The latter is basically let's make everything be a possible shortcut. Meh

I need to re-evaluate tracks I like or dislike via video or replay games to decide on more. I'll definitely do tracks I don't enjoy in another post and add other tracks I do like if I remember any.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,093 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I'm kinda mixed on if I prefer short over long, as there could be a track that's long but I dislike it so when I have to play that it's tedious or annoying. If it's short it's kinda annoying but can be over quicker. XD

I don't really have favourite tracks from the games I've played on PS1. Nor do I remember disliking any, but I probably did. Even Lego Racers and that's a game I would play again too but I lost my memory card. I did watch a video of the tracks but just don't remember  which I liked or not.

Moving on to the racing games I played after that would be Mario Kart Super Circuit and Double Dash. Yeah I know I could talk about Mario Kart in it's respective topic, but here I want to include them with other games I've played, but will be the most I'll write about. Actually I'll do Mario Kart as a whole, well the games I've got anyway. I'll mention mainly favourites of mine.
Most Bower's Castle tracks are among my tracks I really enjoy playing on, only SC's BC1 is bland. For Rainbow Roads Double Dash's is my favourite. Wii's is good, others differ because of their easy tendency for you to fall off. Sure DD & Wii do too but I can handle them the best. Haven't played enough of MK8's to decide.
Baby Park is an exception for being so short yet one of the best MK tracks purely for the carnage items brings, unless you're playing with no items on. Disliked it got a lap reduction in MKDS. On the flip side Wario Colosseum being so long and fun is one of my favourites too, annoyed by the lap count though, should've been 3 like everything else normally is.
Yoshi's Valley having multiple routes in the middle is both cool and if not used to the track, easy to get the wrong turn, yet it became a good track to me and glad it got remade in MK8. Koopa Cape I like for the water inclusion, Daisy Circuit purely for Luigi/Daisy so I automatically enjoy driving on it. Delfino Square on the DS, I grew to enjoy that most on Wii.

For Sonic Racing Transformed Adder's Lair is hands down my favourite. The design, features, skeleton at the beginning, music even gets me really pumped up for racing on there. The announcer calling crap out kinda ruins it (was there an option to remove the twat?), but I try to ignore that. Race of Ages comes in second, despite being like the Rainbow Road for SR Transformed with easy to fall off areas, but the later section with the wavy water and if you drive well enough on the early section makes for a cool ride. :3

For Crash Team Racing it's EASILY Electron Avenue, absolutely adore that track. Nothing comes close, and I have a hard time deciding what I like after that. Papu's Pyramid perhaps, even though it's very easy once you know how to do shortcuts, but that can be said for pretty all or most of the tracks. Tiny Arena maybe, being more enclosed with tall walls....ahh who am I kidding, Electron Avenue makes all the other tracks either simply OK to good if I know how to drive on the track or instant dislike for me. Agree with Moony about Turbo Track and Drive-Thru Danger for the same reasons. The latter is basically let's make everything be a possible shortcut. Meh

I need to re-evaluate tracks I like or dislike via video or replay games to decide on more. I'll definitely do tracks I don't enjoy in another post and add other tracks I do like if I remember any.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Feb 8th, 2021, 01:04 AM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
I forgot about Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. Adder's Lair is definitely a top track, but most tracks in that game are superb because of how most of them change per lap. Burning Depths is another awesome one, since the stage floods per level which changes where you drive, and it's also one of the harder tracks to navigate so it's always really satisfying to nail a perfect lap on that track. I'm looking at the track list and there really aren't many stages, if any, that I actively dislike in that game. Might be one of the only racing games I've played that doesn't have a single track I want to avoid.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Feb 8th, 2021, 01:04 AM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
I forgot about Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. Adder's Lair is definitely a top track, but most tracks in that game are superb because of how most of them change per lap. Burning Depths is another awesome one, since the stage floods per level which changes where you drive, and it's also one of the harder tracks to navigate so it's always really satisfying to nail a perfect lap on that track. I'm looking at the track list and there really aren't many stages, if any, that I actively dislike in that game. Might be one of the only racing games I've played that doesn't have a single track I want to avoid.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Gamers Need To Get Comfortable Not Owning Their Games" - Ubisoft Moonface 11 398 Apr 11th, 2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  27 Years, 27 Games Maniakkid25 28 8,335 Apr 3rd, 2024, 02:44 AM
Last Post: ShiraNoMai
  Questioning "Unanswerable" Things in Games? Moonface 7 650 Mar 18th, 2024, 09:37 PM
  Are Big Budget Games Sustainable? Moonface 2 122 Mar 13th, 2024, 09:09 PM
  Nonsensical Situations in Games Moonface 6 785 Feb 13th, 2024, 11:14 PM