Tabletop Games
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,643
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I thought we had remade the thread for board games, card games, and all that other jazz but from what I can tell it wasn't, and I wanna talk about them! Tongue

So this morning I went to the boardgames room at SGDQ and played a game called Zendo, which comes off as being really simple but can have a lot of depth depending on what rule gets set for a round. I thought it was neat so I wanted to share it. ^_^

The group I was with were trying to get a hold of a copy of either The Game or The Mind, which I'd also never heard of before and haven't had a chance yet to find out what type of games that are. Anyone else here familiar with either of them? Unsure
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,643 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I thought we had remade the thread for board games, card games, and all that other jazz but from what I can tell it wasn't, and I wanna talk about them! Tongue

So this morning I went to the boardgames room at SGDQ and played a game called Zendo, which comes off as being really simple but can have a lot of depth depending on what rule gets set for a round. I thought it was neat so I wanted to share it. ^_^

The group I was with were trying to get a hold of a copy of either The Game or The Mind, which I'd also never heard of before and haven't had a chance yet to find out what type of games that are. Anyone else here familiar with either of them? Unsure
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,129
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Yeah must've been an old topic back on the previous forum that hadn't been made here yet, because I remember there being a topic like it at some point.

Anyway, haven't heard of the three games you mentioned before either. Initially I thought Zendo sounds like a game I wouldn't get into though after reading that page on it, watched a couple videos that confused the heck out of me, but then saw a third one that started to make some sense. I'd have to play it first hand to see if I'd like it or not, but it's not something I'd go out and try to find a game as soon as possible.

Main board game I play that I've mentioned many times now is Scrabble, I prefer 1-on-1 but 3-4 players is fine but I try less on them. On a physical board the people I play we don't time each other for their turn, however I have played online (against computer so far) and can have a whole game last under 10 minutes. Is my favourite board game, nothing comes close really. I did kinda pride myself before I played online thinking I could be Master level (Grand Master is the top) but haven't beat that yet, only Hard I can confidently win against. Want to get to Master level at least. XD

Card games are OK, Hearts and Spades I've played before which are fine. Uno, Uno Flip, Top Trumps too.

Used to be into Warhammer but only for the figurines really, can't remember if I actually played a game but it would've been ages ago.

Have a minor interest in Chess but not confident in it.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,129 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Yeah must've been an old topic back on the previous forum that hadn't been made here yet, because I remember there being a topic like it at some point.

Anyway, haven't heard of the three games you mentioned before either. Initially I thought Zendo sounds like a game I wouldn't get into though after reading that page on it, watched a couple videos that confused the heck out of me, but then saw a third one that started to make some sense. I'd have to play it first hand to see if I'd like it or not, but it's not something I'd go out and try to find a game as soon as possible.

Main board game I play that I've mentioned many times now is Scrabble, I prefer 1-on-1 but 3-4 players is fine but I try less on them. On a physical board the people I play we don't time each other for their turn, however I have played online (against computer so far) and can have a whole game last under 10 minutes. Is my favourite board game, nothing comes close really. I did kinda pride myself before I played online thinking I could be Master level (Grand Master is the top) but haven't beat that yet, only Hard I can confidently win against. Want to get to Master level at least. XD

Card games are OK, Hearts and Spades I've played before which are fine. Uno, Uno Flip, Top Trumps too.

Used to be into Warhammer but only for the figurines really, can't remember if I actually played a game but it would've been ages ago.

Have a minor interest in Chess but not confident in it.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,243
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Logic games are quite fun, I found. I did feel pretty heckin dumb after playing Zendo though XD I did manage to do a correct guess one round which was cool.

Huh, didn't know you were into Warhammer figurines. Have you tried finding a local community for it? I have friends that play at locals occasionally for funsies. Sounds like it'd be up your alley, EL
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,243 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Logic games are quite fun, I found. I did feel pretty heckin dumb after playing Zendo though XD I did manage to do a correct guess one round which was cool.

Huh, didn't know you were into Warhammer figurines. Have you tried finding a local community for it? I have friends that play at locals occasionally for funsies. Sounds like it'd be up your alley, EL
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,961
Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
My main one is, of course, chess Tongue . It was one of my main interests from around 2001-08... in the end I drifted away from it because I didn't want to memorise a load of openings, and didn't want to lose to people who did. But I got back into it last year, and created a new account for myself on Chess.com. I've got my Rapid rating there up to 1510... but I get the sense that I still have a lot to learn!

Other than that, I recently joined a local board games group, which focuses mostly on modern designer board games (i.e. Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, and games that are based on those). I get to play something different each time I go, which does mean I have to spend a bit of time learning (or re-learning) rules, but it does make for quite a varied experience!
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,961 Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
My main one is, of course, chess Tongue . It was one of my main interests from around 2001-08... in the end I drifted away from it because I didn't want to memorise a load of openings, and didn't want to lose to people who did. But I got back into it last year, and created a new account for myself on Chess.com. I've got my Rapid rating there up to 1510... but I get the sense that I still have a lot to learn!

Other than that, I recently joined a local board games group, which focuses mostly on modern designer board games (i.e. Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, and games that are based on those). I get to play something different each time I go, which does mean I have to spend a bit of time learning (or re-learning) rules, but it does make for quite a varied experience!
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,129
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
@ShiraNoMai : Again used to be, my Dad enjoyed making stuff so he was the one assembling and painting the figurines. I liked making armies up out of them too then playing with them as a kid. Did check out how to play properly but not in-depth. Don't have them anymore though or at least not in the house I'm in anyway. Lost interest unfortunately, but still acknowledge Warhammer though at least. Still have a magazine to look at.

@Kyng : I'm on Chess.com too, but...only played against computer and well I suck really. XD Nice you got your rating to 1510 though, respectable rating that,
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,129 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
@ShiraNoMai : Again used to be, my Dad enjoyed making stuff so he was the one assembling and painting the figurines. I liked making armies up out of them too then playing with them as a kid. Did check out how to play properly but not in-depth. Don't have them anymore though or at least not in the house I'm in anyway. Lost interest unfortunately, but still acknowledge Warhammer though at least. Still have a magazine to look at.

@Kyng : I'm on Chess.com too, but...only played against computer and well I suck really. XD Nice you got your rating to 1510 though, respectable rating that,
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,643
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Jun 4th, 2023, 06:09 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Yeah, trying to understand it from the rules alone was hard even for us when we played it. It got easy to understand once we started playing though. Basically the host just decides that for a structure to be "correct" it has to meet a certain requirement, and you have to figure out what that requirement is through a process of elimination by making structures to find out what ones are meeting the requirement and what aren't, and using the differences to figure out the common thread between the "correct" ones to figure out the requirement. For example, one requirement was a structure must contain at least one pyramid piece, so any that lacked that piece were marked as not having the requirement. You would figure out that requirement by noticing everything marked as correct features that piece while the rest don't have it.

My favourite card game is probably Blackjack due to playing a ton of it in RDR, but I really enjoy Solitaire too although I only play that on my computer.

(Jun 4th, 2023, 11:13 PM)Kyng Wrote:
I got into chess when I was younger due to Harry Potter, and did learn all the rules but not playing for years on end caused me to forget most of the deeper rules and strategies, as I discovered yesterday when I couldn't win a single game against the CPU on the chess game available on my flight back home from Minneapolis. ROFL

There was a really fun tabletop game I played with friends in Texas last year but I can't remember the name of it. Doh
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,643 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Yeah, trying to understand it from the rules alone was hard even for us when we played it. It got easy to understand once we started playing though. Basically the host just decides that for a structure to be "correct" it has to meet a certain requirement, and you have to figure out what that requirement is through a process of elimination by making structures to find out what ones are meeting the requirement and what aren't, and using the differences to figure out the common thread between the "correct" ones to figure out the requirement. For example, one requirement was a structure must contain at least one pyramid piece, so any that lacked that piece were marked as not having the requirement. You would figure out that requirement by noticing everything marked as correct features that piece while the rest don't have it.

My favourite card game is probably Blackjack due to playing a ton of it in RDR, but I really enjoy Solitaire too although I only play that on my computer.

(Jun 4th, 2023, 11:13 PM)Kyng Wrote:
I got into chess when I was younger due to Harry Potter, and did learn all the rules but not playing for years on end caused me to forget most of the deeper rules and strategies, as I discovered yesterday when I couldn't win a single game against the CPU on the chess game available on my flight back home from Minneapolis. ROFL

There was a really fun tabletop game I played with friends in Texas last year but I can't remember the name of it. Doh