Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,862
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
I think if they were spaced out between verses, it would be really interesting, with each verse having a new hook into it? But given the structure of that intro, it would require a large amount of restructuring. And plus, this isn't just a For Whom the Bell Tolls problem, but a Metallica problem. Even Master of Puppets, a song I really like, has an intro section that's overindulgent. It's a good song, but you could honestly cut out the opening riff, and skip straight to the pre-verse riff, and not much would be lost aside from a minute of build-up, which is what the pre-verse riff does anyway. And the fact that I can identify an "opening" and "pre-verse" riff before the vocals start is kind of my point.

As far as solos, they are usually fine as, again, they are part of the point of the song. Short solos help break up the song, and when an instrumental break happens for multiple minutes, it's again the point (are you listening to Dragonforce for the vocals, or the guitar work? Be honest). My usual rule of thumb is "if you're playing/doing something for more than 16 measures, there better be a point." 16 measures in 4/4 is so standard, even RAPPERS refer to their verses as their "16 bars", with "bars" being the alternative for "measure".

Basically, what I'm saying is what has been codified into all art ever: don't overstay your welcome. Stories? Rule of Three. Comedy? Set-up and Punchline. This is just my general rule for music.
Maniakkid25 Offline
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,862 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
I think if they were spaced out between verses, it would be really interesting, with each verse having a new hook into it? But given the structure of that intro, it would require a large amount of restructuring. And plus, this isn't just a For Whom the Bell Tolls problem, but a Metallica problem. Even Master of Puppets, a song I really like, has an intro section that's overindulgent. It's a good song, but you could honestly cut out the opening riff, and skip straight to the pre-verse riff, and not much would be lost aside from a minute of build-up, which is what the pre-verse riff does anyway. And the fact that I can identify an "opening" and "pre-verse" riff before the vocals start is kind of my point.

As far as solos, they are usually fine as, again, they are part of the point of the song. Short solos help break up the song, and when an instrumental break happens for multiple minutes, it's again the point (are you listening to Dragonforce for the vocals, or the guitar work? Be honest). My usual rule of thumb is "if you're playing/doing something for more than 16 measures, there better be a point." 16 measures in 4/4 is so standard, even RAPPERS refer to their verses as their "16 bars", with "bars" being the alternative for "measure".

Basically, what I'm saying is what has been codified into all art ever: don't overstay your welcome. Stories? Rule of Three. Comedy? Set-up and Punchline. This is just my general rule for music.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Jun 6th, 2018, 11:47 PM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Jun 7th, 2018, 12:14 AM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Jun 7th, 2018, 12:26 AM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Jun 7th, 2018, 02:36 AM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Jun 7th, 2018, 02:46 AM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Jun 7th, 2018, 05:41 AM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Sep 18th, 2018, 03:00 PM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Sep 20th, 2018, 03:58 AM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Dec 8th, 2018, 01:03 AM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Apr 5th, 2021, 03:54 PM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Sep 18th, 2021, 03:30 PM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Nov 25th, 2021, 02:34 PM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Dec 16th, 2021, 10:33 PM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Aug 1st, 2022, 12:26 AM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Maniakkid25 - Jan 18th, 2023, 02:15 AM