Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,862
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUH...

I cannot speak for how difficult drums are; I've only played drums on Rock Band, but I happen to know that my co-ordination between my hands and feet to keep on beat is lacking. That could probably be trained out of me. But the problem is, as many things, it's not that simple. If you were asking me "which is harder: lead or rhythm guitar", I'd have an easy answer: rhythm. While lead is all the flashy skills like tapping and stuff, for me, just the action of strumming up across multiple strings is a major challenge to me. Unless you're sweep picking, the hardest part about lead guitar is just getting your fingers fast enough to move about the neck. Also, my up strumming is a little bit slack, so I slowly go from straight rhythms to a swing rhythm as I strum for longer. So yeah, my rhythm guitar ability is SIGNIFICANTLY worse than my lead guitar ability, and my lead guitar ability isn't that good to begin with!

But judging across instruments brings up far more variables, and it's not as easy as saying "one is easier than the other". Sure, drums are just "hit things to make noise", but they are often used as the foundation that a song is built upon on recording, meaning that the drummer is on their own when recording. All they have is a click track to keep the beat. And blast beats, which are ridiculous, involve multiple limbs moving at once in a very specific coordinated fashion, and slipping destroys the whole thing. Bass is usually individual notes, but if your muting sucks, you will just get dense fogs of low end that muddy your track. And you're still playing as fast as the rest of the band, so your movement better be up to snuff! Unless your Lemmy, in which case you're basically playing rhythm guitar anyway, so go nuts! POINT IS, it's not that simple.
Maniakkid25 Online
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,862 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUH...

I cannot speak for how difficult drums are; I've only played drums on Rock Band, but I happen to know that my co-ordination between my hands and feet to keep on beat is lacking. That could probably be trained out of me. But the problem is, as many things, it's not that simple. If you were asking me "which is harder: lead or rhythm guitar", I'd have an easy answer: rhythm. While lead is all the flashy skills like tapping and stuff, for me, just the action of strumming up across multiple strings is a major challenge to me. Unless you're sweep picking, the hardest part about lead guitar is just getting your fingers fast enough to move about the neck. Also, my up strumming is a little bit slack, so I slowly go from straight rhythms to a swing rhythm as I strum for longer. So yeah, my rhythm guitar ability is SIGNIFICANTLY worse than my lead guitar ability, and my lead guitar ability isn't that good to begin with!

But judging across instruments brings up far more variables, and it's not as easy as saying "one is easier than the other". Sure, drums are just "hit things to make noise", but they are often used as the foundation that a song is built upon on recording, meaning that the drummer is on their own when recording. All they have is a click track to keep the beat. And blast beats, which are ridiculous, involve multiple limbs moving at once in a very specific coordinated fashion, and slipping destroys the whole thing. Bass is usually individual notes, but if your muting sucks, you will just get dense fogs of low end that muddy your track. And you're still playing as fast as the rest of the band, so your movement better be up to snuff! Unless your Lemmy, in which case you're basically playing rhythm guitar anyway, so go nuts! POINT IS, it's not that simple.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Jun 6th, 2018, 11:47 PM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Jun 7th, 2018, 12:14 AM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Jun 7th, 2018, 12:26 AM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Jun 7th, 2018, 02:36 AM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Jun 7th, 2018, 02:46 AM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Jun 7th, 2018, 05:41 AM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Sep 18th, 2018, 03:00 PM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Sep 20th, 2018, 03:58 AM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Dec 8th, 2018, 01:03 AM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Apr 5th, 2021, 03:54 PM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Sep 18th, 2021, 03:30 PM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Nov 25th, 2021, 02:34 PM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Dec 16th, 2021, 10:33 PM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Aug 1st, 2022, 12:26 AM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Maniakkid25 - May 6th, 2023, 02:48 AM