Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,862
Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
*WellYesButActuallyNo.gif*

First the plectrum bit. This is how you are "supposed" to hold a pick, as viewed from the player side.

[Image: 20230624_154933.jpg]

You will note how the damn thing is completely shielded by the hand. That's why you basically never see one when someone is using it. Now, this is how I usually hold it.

[Image: 20230624_155416.jpg]

This is probably visible from your perspective, but it's also completely terrible technique. But, my knuckles keep raking the strings the "proper way", so I have trained myself to do it terribly. I really should look into a tutor, just so I can properly learn the basics...

Very few things in any subject are just "that simple". I mean, we take for granted that 1+1 is 2, but how would you actually prove that to someone who has no concept of numbers? Sure, you say "one sheep, one sheep, two sheep", but that doesn't actually explain anything. You have to get more complicated than that.

Certainly, there are some things I would consider simple: time signatures and the American way of labeling notes are two of them. Oh yeah, that "whole note, half note, quarter note, etc." thing? Yeah, chuck that out the window in the UK; they would say "Semi-breve, Minim, Crochet, etc." But, humans are gonna human, and when humans human, things inevitably get complicated. It's the reason why Legalese is a thing, after all. This leads to all sorts of mayhem once you start poking around, so it's hard to just say "this is how it is" to a lot of questions without, you know, eliminating all sense of nuance.

Basically, imagine if I asked you "What's the strongest monster in Pokemon?" Sure, there is an easy answer to that question (it's Mega-Rayquaza), but that doesn't mean it cannot lose to FEAR (Focus Sash, Endeavor, Quick Attack Rattata), so does that still make the strongest monster? There's more to the answer than that. That's what I'm trying to express when I say "It's not that simple."
Maniakkid25 Online
Part-time ranter, full-time cricket
Currently Playing
Lots of different things
Favourite Platform(s)
What answer makes me a hipster?
Pronouns
Any/Any
XP: 13,862 Phogs Metroid (Shiny) Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) 
*WellYesButActuallyNo.gif*

First the plectrum bit. This is how you are "supposed" to hold a pick, as viewed from the player side.

[Image: 20230624_154933.jpg]

You will note how the damn thing is completely shielded by the hand. That's why you basically never see one when someone is using it. Now, this is how I usually hold it.

[Image: 20230624_155416.jpg]

This is probably visible from your perspective, but it's also completely terrible technique. But, my knuckles keep raking the strings the "proper way", so I have trained myself to do it terribly. I really should look into a tutor, just so I can properly learn the basics...

Very few things in any subject are just "that simple". I mean, we take for granted that 1+1 is 2, but how would you actually prove that to someone who has no concept of numbers? Sure, you say "one sheep, one sheep, two sheep", but that doesn't actually explain anything. You have to get more complicated than that.

Certainly, there are some things I would consider simple: time signatures and the American way of labeling notes are two of them. Oh yeah, that "whole note, half note, quarter note, etc." thing? Yeah, chuck that out the window in the UK; they would say "Semi-breve, Minim, Crochet, etc." But, humans are gonna human, and when humans human, things inevitably get complicated. It's the reason why Legalese is a thing, after all. This leads to all sorts of mayhem once you start poking around, so it's hard to just say "this is how it is" to a lot of questions without, you know, eliminating all sense of nuance.

Basically, imagine if I asked you "What's the strongest monster in Pokemon?" Sure, there is an easy answer to that question (it's Mega-Rayquaza), but that doesn't mean it cannot lose to FEAR (Focus Sash, Endeavor, Quick Attack Rattata), so does that still make the strongest monster? There's more to the answer than that. That's what I'm trying to express when I say "It's not that simple."

Messages In This Thread
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Jun 6th, 2018, 11:47 PM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Jun 7th, 2018, 12:14 AM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Jun 7th, 2018, 12:26 AM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Jun 7th, 2018, 02:36 AM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Jun 7th, 2018, 02:46 AM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Jun 7th, 2018, 05:41 AM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Sep 18th, 2018, 03:00 PM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Sep 20th, 2018, 03:58 AM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Dec 8th, 2018, 01:03 AM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Apr 5th, 2021, 03:54 PM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Sep 18th, 2021, 03:30 PM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Nov 25th, 2021, 02:34 PM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Dec 16th, 2021, 10:33 PM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Karo - Aug 1st, 2022, 12:26 AM
RE: What's a "Moral Compass Cricket Thingy"? - by Maniakkid25 - Jun 24th, 2023, 09:18 PM