Tekken (Series)
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Dead Space (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,390
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
@Mr EliteL: Oh you already knew that was a thing? I assume you did it at some point in T4 which is how you learned of it? I genuinely never knew that could happen until I shared that video. XD
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,390 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
@Mr EliteL: Oh you already knew that was a thing? I assume you did it at some point in T4 which is how you learned of it? I genuinely never knew that could happen until I shared that video. XD
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,359
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Yeah I knew you can hurt yourself like that, don't remember what game I learnt it in, also can't remember if it's still a thing in more recent games though. I might be playing T7 soon before tomorrow so I'll try that Lei move to see if it does.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,359 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Yeah I knew you can hurt yourself like that, don't remember what game I learnt it in, also can't remember if it's still a thing in more recent games though. I might be playing T7 soon before tomorrow so I'll try that Lei move to see if it does.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Wait, that isn't just in T4?! Blink What game did you come across it in then?

Also I feel like a really shit Tekken fan when I keep finding out more and more things about the games I played that I didn't know were a thing. I was watching this video because I was bored and paused it after the part about items came up (3:20) because the only thing I really remember from TTT2 at all about items is Bruce's chickens, and I don't even remember if they could be used for an attack or were just something that would show up behind him as a gag item. I don't think I saw all that stuff and just forgot about it because it's too ridiculous to not remember things like that. XD

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Wait, that isn't just in T4?! Blink What game did you come across it in then?

Also I feel like a really shit Tekken fan when I keep finding out more and more things about the games I played that I didn't know were a thing. I was watching this video because I was bored and paused it after the part about items came up (3:20) because the only thing I really remember from TTT2 at all about items is Bruce's chickens, and I don't even remember if they could be used for an attack or were just something that would show up behind him as a gag item. I don't think I saw all that stuff and just forgot about it because it's too ridiculous to not remember things like that. XD
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,359
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I checked in Tekken 7 and yep, Lei can still slam into the wall jumping back off the opponent in that grab move, taking damage too. So I'm taking it being in T7 means T4-T7 stages with walls it can happen. I probably saw it an earlier game but just can't remember which. Not only that but you might know already that Nina and Paul can hurt themselves in a particular move if they miss, Paul's version of a moonsaults like what Law does, Nina's is her doing a front flip. Likely more where the character hurts themself. XD . An obvious one you should know of is Yoshimitsu stabbing himself (Hara-kiri) or spinning away.

Watched that part and yeah I didn't use character items in TTT2, so they're new to me too all apart from Miharu's photo and the chickens. XD The only item I cared for that can be used as an attack/effect the opponent is the pizza in T7.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,359 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
I checked in Tekken 7 and yep, Lei can still slam into the wall jumping back off the opponent in that grab move, taking damage too. So I'm taking it being in T7 means T4-T7 stages with walls it can happen. I probably saw it an earlier game but just can't remember which. Not only that but you might know already that Nina and Paul can hurt themselves in a particular move if they miss, Paul's version of a moonsaults like what Law does, Nina's is her doing a front flip. Likely more where the character hurts themself. XD . An obvious one you should know of is Yoshimitsu stabbing himself (Hara-kiri) or spinning away.

Watched that part and yeah I didn't use character items in TTT2, so they're new to me too all apart from Miharu's photo and the chickens. XD The only item I cared for that can be used as an attack/effect the opponent is the pizza in T7.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I didn't know Paul could try to do his own version of Law's moon saults. Thinking on it more, taking self damage on walls isn't really a bug when considering that doing that move in real life by a wall would get that result, so it actually makes sense but my first thought when seeing it was that it was a bug. XD

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I didn't know Paul could try to do his own version of Law's moon saults. Thinking on it more, taking self damage on walls isn't really a bug when considering that doing that move in real life by a wall would get that result, so it actually makes sense but my first thought when seeing it was that it was a bug. XD
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I almost put this in the Tekken 8 thread but realized it doesn't have anything to do with that particular game, so back to this other Tekken thread we have! Wow Tongue

So someone shared a cosplay of King's Tekken 3 P2 outfit on Twitter which got Harada's attention and led to him sharing the story behind the outfit design:

Harada Wrote:
Wow this is great, and I like the fact that you can tell it's the KING even though he's not wearing a mask.
The KING 2P costume from TEKKEN 3 is still very popular, even though a quarter of a century has passed.

This costume started with my concept in the 90's that 2P should wear the Armor King mask and be a Heel wrestler. 
Then... The artist assigned to the project uploaded texture data with the kanji for "悪 (Heel / Evil / Villain)" as a joke at first.
One day, when I launched the development test build and saw "Evil" written on the back of the KING, I laughed out loud.
The artist grinned and said, "See, now that's Heel, right?" He said.
And this was very popular with all the development team members, so we officially adopted it.
I felt it was a little sad to use only one kanji character, so I asked the artist, I asked the artist to put "Mishima Heavy Industries" in the design, and this design was completed.

However, The question of whether this "kanji for evil" would be understood in countries other than Japan crossed my mind for a moment.
In the 90's, the awareness of language localization was still very limited, so I left it as it was.
At that time, arcade cabinets were still in operation worldwide and TEKKEN3 was released in arcades all over the world, but one of the most common questions among the letters (real letters, not e-mails) we received was "What does the King's back say? was the question.
At the time, Namco's sales team pointed out that this would be difficult for people overseas to read, but conversely, I believe that it was because it was written in kanji that it became an iconic costume (or so I like to think).
Source:  Twitter

I honestly never gave a thought to the kanji on that outfit (nor any other outfit that features foreign text actually) and I also never really paid attention to the fact that King is wearing an Armor King mask for this outfit either. Between this and the P3 outfit for Law in that game, I wonder if there are any other outfits in Tekken 3 that have a deeper meaning or represent something that players didn't realize at the time. Hmm

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I almost put this in the Tekken 8 thread but realized it doesn't have anything to do with that particular game, so back to this other Tekken thread we have! Wow Tongue

So someone shared a cosplay of King's Tekken 3 P2 outfit on Twitter which got Harada's attention and led to him sharing the story behind the outfit design:

Harada Wrote:
Wow this is great, and I like the fact that you can tell it's the KING even though he's not wearing a mask.
The KING 2P costume from TEKKEN 3 is still very popular, even though a quarter of a century has passed.

This costume started with my concept in the 90's that 2P should wear the Armor King mask and be a Heel wrestler. 
Then... The artist assigned to the project uploaded texture data with the kanji for "悪 (Heel / Evil / Villain)" as a joke at first.
One day, when I launched the development test build and saw "Evil" written on the back of the KING, I laughed out loud.
The artist grinned and said, "See, now that's Heel, right?" He said.
And this was very popular with all the development team members, so we officially adopted it.
I felt it was a little sad to use only one kanji character, so I asked the artist, I asked the artist to put "Mishima Heavy Industries" in the design, and this design was completed.

However, The question of whether this "kanji for evil" would be understood in countries other than Japan crossed my mind for a moment.
In the 90's, the awareness of language localization was still very limited, so I left it as it was.
At that time, arcade cabinets were still in operation worldwide and TEKKEN3 was released in arcades all over the world, but one of the most common questions among the letters (real letters, not e-mails) we received was "What does the King's back say? was the question.
At the time, Namco's sales team pointed out that this would be difficult for people overseas to read, but conversely, I believe that it was because it was written in kanji that it became an iconic costume (or so I like to think).
Source:  Twitter

I honestly never gave a thought to the kanji on that outfit (nor any other outfit that features foreign text actually) and I also never really paid attention to the fact that King is wearing an Armor King mask for this outfit either. Between this and the P3 outfit for Law in that game, I wonder if there are any other outfits in Tekken 3 that have a deeper meaning or represent something that players didn't realize at the time. Hmm

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dragon Quest (Series) | DQ I&II HD-2D Remakes Announced Moonface 5 101 Jun 20th, 2024, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  The Legend of Zelda (Series) | Echoes of Wisdom Announced Moonface 67 30,666 Jun 19th, 2024, 02:59 PM
  Mario & Luigi (Series) | Brothership Announced Moonface 0 29 Jun 18th, 2024, 04:09 PM
  Doom (Series) | Doom: The Dark Ages Announced Moonface 28 26,049 Jun 9th, 2024, 07:25 PM
  Tekken 8 | Season 1 Trailer Moonface 228 13,273 May 30th, 2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Mr EliteL