Album Art
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Moonlighter (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 28,639
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I wondered if we'd ever had a thread to talk about album cover/disc art and it seems we never had one even on the old board. Figured it could be an interesting different take on talking about music since usually it's the actual songs people talk about rather than the album art.

So yeah, anyone have a particular album they want to highlight for its art, whether good or bad? ^_^
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 28,639 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I wondered if we'd ever had a thread to talk about album cover/disc art and it seems we never had one even on the old board. Figured it could be an interesting different take on talking about music since usually it's the actual songs people talk about rather than the album art.

So yeah, anyone have a particular album they want to highlight for its art, whether good or bad? ^_^
ShiraNoMai Offline
🖤🤍💜 / 🩷💛💙
Moderators
Currently Playing
Minecraft: Drehmal (PC) | Golden Yoshi's Island (SNES) | Pokémon Violet (Switch)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 27,145
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
One of the last few things I was able to work on in my time working for Bonamassa was album/single art. I did actually manage to make two official single covers: Dear Mr. Fantasy and Four Day Creep. I contributed to the Redemption cover with the type setting and placement (I did not make the call to put an outer glow on it though..), and this had a big campaign in Target stores so it was neat to see it out in the wild like that around release (2018). 

One of my favorite modern covers has to be for SHINee's The Story of Light album series (a 3 LP release compilated into one full release). Here's all four side-by-side:

[Image: YLmDb98.png]

This was their first release post-Jonghyun after he passed away, and the group wanted to convey continuity and permanence with simple shapes and colors, to effectively convey they were moving on and forward from the tragic events presumably. The colors are the five traditional Korean colors, also, which is notable because it shows that the group is still "five" despite there only being four physically there.
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
🖤🤍💜 / 🩷💛💙
Currently Playing
Minecraft: Drehmal (PC) | Golden Yoshi's Island (SNES) | Pokémon Violet (Switch)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 27,145 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
One of the last few things I was able to work on in my time working for Bonamassa was album/single art. I did actually manage to make two official single covers: Dear Mr. Fantasy and Four Day Creep. I contributed to the Redemption cover with the type setting and placement (I did not make the call to put an outer glow on it though..), and this had a big campaign in Target stores so it was neat to see it out in the wild like that around release (2018). 

One of my favorite modern covers has to be for SHINee's The Story of Light album series (a 3 LP release compilated into one full release). Here's all four side-by-side:

[Image: YLmDb98.png]

This was their first release post-Jonghyun after he passed away, and the group wanted to convey continuity and permanence with simple shapes and colors, to effectively convey they were moving on and forward from the tragic events presumably. The colors are the five traditional Korean colors, also, which is notable because it shows that the group is still "five" despite there only being four physically there.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,814
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Ah so the black being used very little like as in just the fox's eyes and feet is meant to be Jonghyun is still with them, with the four other colours being the other four as they're so prominent in the cover. Took me a moment to figure out where the fifth colour was. XD

I've liked every Disturbed album that has had The Guy on album cover but mainly Indestructible's, although my least favourite of the bunch would be Immortalized, though I get what they were going with that.

Kamelot's earlier albums Fourth Legacy, Karma and Epica are my favourite of theirs, looking more like I don't know classical pieces of art or something, I know there are other albums similar to them as well.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,814 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Ah so the black being used very little like as in just the fox's eyes and feet is meant to be Jonghyun is still with them, with the four other colours being the other four as they're so prominent in the cover. Took me a moment to figure out where the fifth colour was. XD

I've liked every Disturbed album that has had The Guy on album cover but mainly Indestructible's, although my least favourite of the bunch would be Immortalized, though I get what they were going with that.

Kamelot's earlier albums Fourth Legacy, Karma and Epica are my favourite of theirs, looking more like I don't know classical pieces of art or something, I know there are other albums similar to them as well.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 28,639
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Jul 31st, 2024, 10:18 AM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Same here. At first I thought there were only four colors and the fifth wasn't present to represent the loss of Jonghyun until I read your post and noticed the minimal black being used.

Tool have some of my favorite album artwork of any band, with 10,000 Days probably being the one that has my favorite of them all: https://store.toolband.com/product/TLCD0...00-days-cd
The artwork is already good by itself, but the physical album has lenses in the front cover that you can use to look through and it creates a 3D effect on the artwork that kid me was too stupid to understand and make work properly. Sweat
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 28,639 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Jul 31st, 2024, 10:18 AM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Same here. At first I thought there were only four colors and the fifth wasn't present to represent the loss of Jonghyun until I read your post and noticed the minimal black being used.

Tool have some of my favorite album artwork of any band, with 10,000 Days probably being the one that has my favorite of them all: https://store.toolband.com/product/TLCD0...00-days-cd
The artwork is already good by itself, but the physical album has lenses in the front cover that you can use to look through and it creates a 3D effect on the artwork that kid me was too stupid to understand and make work properly. Sweat