Windows 11 | W10 Support to End in October 2025
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Stellar Blade | Sword of the Necromancer | Bravely Default II | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,986
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
(May 26th, 2024, 05:57 PM)Moonface Wrote:
The main reason I won't go for a desktop for my next computer is needing the portability to take it with me to college classes and such. That said though @ShiraNoMai did recently buy a new desktop that we can set up now that we just finished building the new desk for it.

On part swapping issues, I've never touched anything on my Dell except to put an SSD into it which was just additional hardware rather than swapping it with another piece. So if that and some other brands are really bad about it I wasn't aware of that.

I know they wouldn't but could you imagine if Microsoft announced Windows 12 right after people have been forcibly migrated to 11 and W12 requires a hardware check again that's higher than the current minimum for 11? ROFL

Yeah, I was mainly referring to Elite checking out those other brands. Unfortunately buying a gaming laptop is kind of a pain because prices are so horribly inflated right now ($3,000+ for a top-tier gaming laptop) and laptops will always inherently be weaker than a desktop. A 4090 in a laptop is like the equivalent of a 3090/maybe 4060 at the absolute best.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Microsoft do that. Seems like the exact kind of scummy move they'd do. Not only would they do that, but they would also announce that there will be no free upgrades to Windows 12 and that Win11 support would be ended at the end of 2026.
2023 Platinum Goal: 3/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Sword of the Vagrant
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Stellar Blade | Sword of the Necromancer | Bravely Default II | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,986 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
(May 26th, 2024, 05:57 PM)Moonface Wrote:
The main reason I won't go for a desktop for my next computer is needing the portability to take it with me to college classes and such. That said though @ShiraNoMai did recently buy a new desktop that we can set up now that we just finished building the new desk for it.

On part swapping issues, I've never touched anything on my Dell except to put an SSD into it which was just additional hardware rather than swapping it with another piece. So if that and some other brands are really bad about it I wasn't aware of that.

I know they wouldn't but could you imagine if Microsoft announced Windows 12 right after people have been forcibly migrated to 11 and W12 requires a hardware check again that's higher than the current minimum for 11? ROFL

Yeah, I was mainly referring to Elite checking out those other brands. Unfortunately buying a gaming laptop is kind of a pain because prices are so horribly inflated right now ($3,000+ for a top-tier gaming laptop) and laptops will always inherently be weaker than a desktop. A 4090 in a laptop is like the equivalent of a 3090/maybe 4060 at the absolute best.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Microsoft do that. Seems like the exact kind of scummy move they'd do. Not only would they do that, but they would also announce that there will be no free upgrades to Windows 12 and that Win11 support would be ended at the end of 2026.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Dead Space (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,413
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(May 26th, 2024, 06:04 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
A 4090 in a laptop is like the equivalent of a 3090/maybe 4060 at the absolute best.
Oh really? I never knew that. How come though? Unsure
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,413 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(May 26th, 2024, 06:04 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
A 4090 in a laptop is like the equivalent of a 3090/maybe 4060 at the absolute best.
Oh really? I never knew that. How come though? Unsure
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,986
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Mainly just due to the size. Laptop GPUs output much less power due to size and also because they need to be capped at a lower amount to try and combat heating issues (thermal throttling). Laptops don't tend to have as good of ventilation solutions as a PC case does, so with laptops you're going to be combating that a lot. It's also what typically leads gaming laptops to have very short battery life (a few hours at most unplugged).

I just urge anyone looking to get a gaming laptop as their primary to do lots of research and make sure you're 1000% okay with what you're going to be getting with a laptop, because as I mentioned before, what you buy is what you get and there's no upgrading down the road unless you fork over another 2-4K for a new laptop.
2023 Platinum Goal: 3/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Sword of the Vagrant
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,986 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Mainly just due to the size. Laptop GPUs output much less power due to size and also because they need to be capped at a lower amount to try and combat heating issues (thermal throttling). Laptops don't tend to have as good of ventilation solutions as a PC case does, so with laptops you're going to be combating that a lot. It's also what typically leads gaming laptops to have very short battery life (a few hours at most unplugged).

I just urge anyone looking to get a gaming laptop as their primary to do lots of research and make sure you're 1000% okay with what you're going to be getting with a laptop, because as I mentioned before, what you buy is what you get and there's no upgrading down the road unless you fork over another 2-4K for a new laptop.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,373
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
ASUS and Acer are ones I have been looking at, Razer I was as well but after DL mentioned not to go for them then I'll avoid it. Have also begun to look at MSI as well. I unfortunately still have no room for a desktop so laptop is my only choice between the two. I have a laptop fan that can hopefully help with any heating issues but yeah I'll keep looking for now.

A possible Window 12 coming soon-ish? Ah well If I do get a new laptop with Windows 11 and get used to it, I'll end up probably not upgrading to 12 as soon as it releases. XD
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,373 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
ASUS and Acer are ones I have been looking at, Razer I was as well but after DL mentioned not to go for them then I'll avoid it. Have also begun to look at MSI as well. I unfortunately still have no room for a desktop so laptop is my only choice between the two. I have a laptop fan that can hopefully help with any heating issues but yeah I'll keep looking for now.

A possible Window 12 coming soon-ish? Ah well If I do get a new laptop with Windows 11 and get used to it, I'll end up probably not upgrading to 12 as soon as it releases. XD
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,413
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(May 27th, 2024, 08:41 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
Laptops don't tend to have as good of ventilation solutions as a PC case does, so with laptops you're going to be combating that a lot. It's also what typically leads gaming laptops to have very short battery life (a few hours at most unplugged).
This is something that my Dell laptop is actually really good with. I've never had it get close to running hot even when running games it's capable of at full quality settings, and the battery when unplugged lasts 7+ hours; although, that's for general use, I've never tried playing a game unplugged and probably wouldn't bother to do so.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,413 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(May 27th, 2024, 08:41 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
Laptops don't tend to have as good of ventilation solutions as a PC case does, so with laptops you're going to be combating that a lot. It's also what typically leads gaming laptops to have very short battery life (a few hours at most unplugged).
This is something that my Dell laptop is actually really good with. I've never had it get close to running hot even when running games it's capable of at full quality settings, and the battery when unplugged lasts 7+ hours; although, that's for general use, I've never tried playing a game unplugged and probably wouldn't bother to do so.