Poll: Would You Ever Trade Your Console for a Custom One?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
0%
0 0%
No
75.00%
3 75.00%
Yes, but only if x factor was removed.
25.00%
1 25.00%
Total 4 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Would You Ever Trade Your Console for a Custom One?
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I just saw that Nintendo revealed a Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet themed Switch OLED model this morning, and while it isn't my cup of tea (not really a big enough Pokémon fan to want a console themed around it) there are others I've seen such as the AC:NH and Splatoon 3 ones that I think are really neat. However, despite that, I know I wouldn't ever bother to trade in my existing Switch for one of those models, and the simple reason is I can't be bothered and don't care that much to do it, even though I would also be getting an upgrade to an OLED model at the same time. I also know that I would need to spend money on the switch even if it was just for the visual difference and not the OLED model upgrade, and I don't feel like I could justify spending money just for a prettier piece of plastic when I could just buy a game or a controller with a design on it instead. Even with the money removed from the equation though, I still don't think I could care enough to do it.

So what about you? Would you ever trade your existing "vanilla" console for one of the custom ones that the big three release from time to time? If not, how come, and would you do it if what was stopping you wasn't a factor? Or maybe you already have done it, in which case, what one did you make the switch to?
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,144 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
I just saw that Nintendo revealed a Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet themed Switch OLED model this morning, and while it isn't my cup of tea (not really a big enough Pokémon fan to want a console themed around it) there are others I've seen such as the AC:NH and Splatoon 3 ones that I think are really neat. However, despite that, I know I wouldn't ever bother to trade in my existing Switch for one of those models, and the simple reason is I can't be bothered and don't care that much to do it, even though I would also be getting an upgrade to an OLED model at the same time. I also know that I would need to spend money on the switch even if it was just for the visual difference and not the OLED model upgrade, and I don't feel like I could justify spending money just for a prettier piece of plastic when I could just buy a game or a controller with a design on it instead. Even with the money removed from the equation though, I still don't think I could care enough to do it.

So what about you? Would you ever trade your existing "vanilla" console for one of the custom ones that the big three release from time to time? If not, how come, and would you do it if what was stopping you wasn't a factor? Or maybe you already have done it, in which case, what one did you make the switch to?
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,019
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Nope I wouldn't trade my consoles. Just feel there's no real reason to do so, not interested in alternate themed consoles. I don't think I'll update to an upgrade version anymore either, I'll just keep the versions I have now.
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,019 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Nope I wouldn't trade my consoles. Just feel there's no real reason to do so, not interested in alternate themed consoles. I don't think I'll update to an upgrade version anymore either, I'll just keep the versions I have now.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 7th, 2022, 05:00 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
I don't think I'll update to an upgrade version anymore either, I'll just keep the versions I have now.
I don't know if you were referring to upgrading from say a PS4 to a PS4 Pro where the design isn't different (in the sense of it being a special design), but if so I didn't really think of that. Considering I wouldn't care to upgrade my Switch to an OLED even with the custom design I'd get along with it, and that I've never upgraded any of my console models period, yeah, I'd just keep my existing model unless it broke down and needed replacing, as was the case with my PS3.
In fact any of my consoles breaking down and needing replacement would probably be the only reason I'd then get one of the custom design ones, since I'm already having to get a new system anyway so why not get one of the custom design ones if it's appealing to me. Tongue

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 7th, 2022, 05:00 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
I don't think I'll update to an upgrade version anymore either, I'll just keep the versions I have now.
I don't know if you were referring to upgrading from say a PS4 to a PS4 Pro where the design isn't different (in the sense of it being a special design), but if so I didn't really think of that. Considering I wouldn't care to upgrade my Switch to an OLED even with the custom design I'd get along with it, and that I've never upgraded any of my console models period, yeah, I'd just keep my existing model unless it broke down and needed replacing, as was the case with my PS3.
In fact any of my consoles breaking down and needing replacement would probably be the only reason I'd then get one of the custom design ones, since I'm already having to get a new system anyway so why not get one of the custom design ones if it's appealing to me. Tongue
Frank Offline
The "Golden" One
Favourite Platform(s)
Nintendo
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 4,345
Metroid Mario Kart Super Mario Bros. 
For a special themed console? No, I can't say I have ever traded in my vanilla console. Now, when the consoles actually have improvements? That's a different story!

For example, I did sell my launch PlayStation 4 to a friend to fund my PlayStation 4 Pro... which I also sold after purchasing my PS5.

I'm sort of mixed on the situation though. As a collector, I like to hold onto my older consoles. But at the same time, if the new consoles can still play my older library of discs, keeping it around seems like a waste.

I'm sure I'll eventually pick up another PS4, as it's currently the only PlayStation console I don't currently own a variant of. Tongue
[Image: wrdxyKE.png]

Frank Offline
The "Golden" One
Favourite Platform(s)
Nintendo
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 4,345 Metroid Mario Kart Super Mario Bros. 
For a special themed console? No, I can't say I have ever traded in my vanilla console. Now, when the consoles actually have improvements? That's a different story!

For example, I did sell my launch PlayStation 4 to a friend to fund my PlayStation 4 Pro... which I also sold after purchasing my PS5.

I'm sort of mixed on the situation though. As a collector, I like to hold onto my older consoles. But at the same time, if the new consoles can still play my older library of discs, keeping it around seems like a waste.

I'm sure I'll eventually pick up another PS4, as it's currently the only PlayStation console I don't currently own a variant of. Tongue
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 11th, 2022, 11:56 PM)Frank Wrote:
I've had a case where keeping my old consoles was actually useful to me, because when my OG PS2 broke down and had to be sent for repairs I was able to use my PS1 to keep playing games, even if it was limited to just my PS1 titles. Had I sold it or got rid of it I'd have had nothing to use.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I've had a case where keeping my old consoles was actually useful to me, because when my OG PS2 broke down and had to be sent for repairs I was able to use my PS1 to keep playing games, even if it was limited to just my PS1 titles. Had I sold it or got rid of it I'd have had nothing to use.
Frank Offline
The "Golden" One
Favourite Platform(s)
Nintendo
Pronouns
He/Him
(Sep 17th, 2022, 10:25 PM)Moonface Wrote:

That's a fair point, but I guess for me if one of my consoles broke, I'd switch to an entirely different one until it was fixed. So if the Switch broke I'm just going to play something on Xbox PC or PlayStation.  LOL

Frank Offline
The "Golden" One
Favourite Platform(s)
Nintendo
Pronouns
He/Him

That's a fair point, but I guess for me if one of my consoles broke, I'd switch to an entirely different one until it was fixed. So if the Switch broke I'm just going to play something on Xbox PC or PlayStation.  LOL
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 18th, 2022, 03:51 AM)Frank Wrote:

Ah. Well at the time my PS2 broke down, I only played on PlayStation so it was either that or nothing. Tongue

Looking at it in front of me, I just realized that the PS5 might be one of the first consoles where we won't ever have to trade it in if we wanted to get one with a custom appearance, since the face plates detach so unless the central part gets customized at all on a future PS5 bundle, there isn't actually anything that can be missed out on when it comes to custom designs that get made. I also wonder if Sony will try to make sure any future PS5 model revisions are able to still use the existing plates so that owners who choose to upgrade don't have to sacrifice all their existing plates. That would actually be way worse than just trading in one console for a custom equivalent I think.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 18th, 2022, 03:51 AM)Frank Wrote:

Ah. Well at the time my PS2 broke down, I only played on PlayStation so it was either that or nothing. Tongue

Looking at it in front of me, I just realized that the PS5 might be one of the first consoles where we won't ever have to trade it in if we wanted to get one with a custom appearance, since the face plates detach so unless the central part gets customized at all on a future PS5 bundle, there isn't actually anything that can be missed out on when it comes to custom designs that get made. I also wonder if Sony will try to make sure any future PS5 model revisions are able to still use the existing plates so that owners who choose to upgrade don't have to sacrifice all their existing plates. That would actually be way worse than just trading in one console for a custom equivalent I think.
Frank Offline
The "Golden" One
Favourite Platform(s)
Nintendo
Pronouns
He/Him
I'm still on the fence about getting myself some of their official plates. I really dislike the white color the console has stock. I also don't like the idea of paying $60 for a color change. I'm holding out hope some cooler 3rd parties come out (even though Sony has been lawsuit crazy) or they release some cooler designs to coincide with a new release!

Also to your point Moonface, the New Nintendo 3DS has a removable face and back plates, so that's another example of a console you could upgrade the appearance of, without needing to buy a new unit. Smile

Frank Offline
The "Golden" One
Favourite Platform(s)
Nintendo
Pronouns
He/Him
I'm still on the fence about getting myself some of their official plates. I really dislike the white color the console has stock. I also don't like the idea of paying $60 for a color change. I'm holding out hope some cooler 3rd parties come out (even though Sony has been lawsuit crazy) or they release some cooler designs to coincide with a new release!

Also to your point Moonface, the New Nintendo 3DS has a removable face and back plates, so that's another example of a console you could upgrade the appearance of, without needing to buy a new unit. Smile
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 21st, 2022, 02:07 AM)Frank Wrote:
I actually forgot about that. Gasp
There was actually a lot too and some of them are really nice!

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Sep 21st, 2022, 02:07 AM)Frank Wrote:
I actually forgot about that. Gasp
There was actually a lot too and some of them are really nice!
Frank Offline
The "Golden" One
Favourite Platform(s)
Nintendo
Pronouns
He/Him
Some of those designs are really cool. That aspect made me sorta regret getting the New 3DS XL, but after holding a regular New 3DS, I was reassured I made the right choice.

Frank Offline
The "Golden" One
Favourite Platform(s)
Nintendo
Pronouns
He/Him
Some of those designs are really cool. That aspect made me sorta regret getting the New 3DS XL, but after holding a regular New 3DS, I was reassured I made the right choice.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
It's weird how Nintendo opted to do faceplates for the N3DS over the N3DSXL considering the sales of the regular XL were considerably more in comparison: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/997...s/71051940
Then again, I'm trying to recall if the XL line was the one often getting custom model releases and if Nintendo put faceplates onto the regular New model so as to not cut into their existing market plans.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
It's weird how Nintendo opted to do faceplates for the N3DS over the N3DSXL considering the sales of the regular XL were considerably more in comparison: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/997...s/71051940
Then again, I'm trying to recall if the XL line was the one often getting custom model releases and if Nintendo put faceplates onto the regular New model so as to not cut into their existing market plans.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If a Third-Party Publisher Made a Console... Moonface 4 164 Mar 9th, 2024, 01:17 AM
Last Post: Moonface
  Custom Controllers Moonface 17 10,016 Dec 4th, 2023, 01:19 AM
  Custom Consoles Moonface 8 2,611 Sep 16th, 2023, 11:51 PM
  Which Console Had The Best Launch Line-Up? Moonface 3 520 Sep 15th, 2023, 09:02 PM
  If Sega Didn't Leave The Console Business When They Did? Moonface 0 437 Jun 10th, 2023, 11:18 PM