Frank's Five - Games To Play On Halloween Day! | Frighteningly Good!
Frank Offline
The "Golden" One
Favourite Platform(s)
Nintendo
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 4,345
Metroid Mario Kart Super Mario Bros. 

This hauntingly special episode features spooktacular games you should play this Halloween!
[Image: wrdxyKE.png]

Frank Offline
The "Golden" One
Favourite Platform(s)
Nintendo
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 4,345 Metroid Mario Kart Super Mario Bros. 

This hauntingly special episode features spooktacular games you should play this Halloween!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Just watched this, and I'll sort my comments on each respective game in the video:

5. This game reminded me of a series called The Lakeview Cabin Collection, which is also a 2D game but is less about surviving hordes of enemies and instead goes for the slower, tense build up and trying to figure out what is going on before you die and such. Have you ever heard of that game before?

4. You're the first person I've seen in a long time give any praise to B4B. Almost every other take I've seen for the game has been that it just feels like an inferior L4D2 even down to the animation details.

3. I've never played the original Resident Evil so I can't comment on how the fixed camera feels, but I did play RE2R and while it has some good aspects, I think overall it's rather poor as an overall game to the point I border on placing it below RE5. The A and B routes are handled terribly and make little sense compared to the original, and enemies are horrifically tanky even on lower difficulties; T-Virus or not, nothing would be left of a head with 4+ bullets put into it, let alone the 8+ it'll normally take to maybe kill a zombie in this game. If you want something where the shooting can feel tense without relying on spongey enemies, I'd suggest checking out The Evil Within 2 if you haven't ever played it. That game does what I think RE2R should've done, which is less stable aiming that rewards being careful with shots; instead, RE2R has stable aiming with unstable enemies but no reward for hitting a shot because you still need to expend a whole clip of pistol ammo to take anyone out unless you get an RNG head pop.

2. Not much to comment on this since I love Luigi's Mansion, although I've only played 2 and 3 since I don't have a copy of the first game to play it.

1. Ugh, I wish I had never bought the OG Dead Rising 2 for most of the reasons you give. Chuck Greene is dull as a character and handling his daughter is absolutely tedious, especially when you can't ignore her because doing so shortens the entire playthrough. I also hated that the original game lacks the free roam survival mode that Dead Rising 1 had, as that was a big reason I got DR2 to begin with, only to find it wasn't included. To then see it locked behind Off The Record really soured my views on the franchise and was the final straw for me in dropping any interest in future games. I am curious though if OTR has the same loading issues DR2 has, because that game has far too many loading screens and it isn't helped that walking through one shaves off way more time from the clock than it would logically take to go through the door. DR2 ends up turning into a game of optimizing routes to get to every event, survivor, and cure in time while only using certain loading zones to try and minimize the time losses they rack up. I don't know if that was always an issue with Dead Rising but I really disliked how DR2 borders on forcing me to play like a speedrunner by punishing me for not optimizing my routes. x.x

Overall a solid list even if it sounds like I have a lot of grievances with the games in the list, but some of it is just preference and none of them are games I would tell anyone to completely avoid.

Also I'm curious if there's any particular reason you use censors throughout the video. Is it because YouTube will restrict the audience age if the video contains uncensored swearing? Unsure
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Just watched this, and I'll sort my comments on each respective game in the video:

5. This game reminded me of a series called The Lakeview Cabin Collection, which is also a 2D game but is less about surviving hordes of enemies and instead goes for the slower, tense build up and trying to figure out what is going on before you die and such. Have you ever heard of that game before?

4. You're the first person I've seen in a long time give any praise to B4B. Almost every other take I've seen for the game has been that it just feels like an inferior L4D2 even down to the animation details.

3. I've never played the original Resident Evil so I can't comment on how the fixed camera feels, but I did play RE2R and while it has some good aspects, I think overall it's rather poor as an overall game to the point I border on placing it below RE5. The A and B routes are handled terribly and make little sense compared to the original, and enemies are horrifically tanky even on lower difficulties; T-Virus or not, nothing would be left of a head with 4+ bullets put into it, let alone the 8+ it'll normally take to maybe kill a zombie in this game. If you want something where the shooting can feel tense without relying on spongey enemies, I'd suggest checking out The Evil Within 2 if you haven't ever played it. That game does what I think RE2R should've done, which is less stable aiming that rewards being careful with shots; instead, RE2R has stable aiming with unstable enemies but no reward for hitting a shot because you still need to expend a whole clip of pistol ammo to take anyone out unless you get an RNG head pop.

2. Not much to comment on this since I love Luigi's Mansion, although I've only played 2 and 3 since I don't have a copy of the first game to play it.

1. Ugh, I wish I had never bought the OG Dead Rising 2 for most of the reasons you give. Chuck Greene is dull as a character and handling his daughter is absolutely tedious, especially when you can't ignore her because doing so shortens the entire playthrough. I also hated that the original game lacks the free roam survival mode that Dead Rising 1 had, as that was a big reason I got DR2 to begin with, only to find it wasn't included. To then see it locked behind Off The Record really soured my views on the franchise and was the final straw for me in dropping any interest in future games. I am curious though if OTR has the same loading issues DR2 has, because that game has far too many loading screens and it isn't helped that walking through one shaves off way more time from the clock than it would logically take to go through the door. DR2 ends up turning into a game of optimizing routes to get to every event, survivor, and cure in time while only using certain loading zones to try and minimize the time losses they rack up. I don't know if that was always an issue with Dead Rising but I really disliked how DR2 borders on forcing me to play like a speedrunner by punishing me for not optimizing my routes. x.x

Overall a solid list even if it sounds like I have a lot of grievances with the games in the list, but some of it is just preference and none of them are games I would tell anyone to completely avoid.

Also I'm curious if there's any particular reason you use censors throughout the video. Is it because YouTube will restrict the audience age if the video contains uncensored swearing? Unsure
Frank Offline
The "Golden" One
Favourite Platform(s)
Nintendo
Pronouns
He/Him
Thanks bud! Hey, we all have our differing opinions on games. It's cool to know my opinions are differing from the mainstream with B4B. I genuinely enjoy it!

I like to censor them for many reasons, but one of them is to avoid restrictions. Just better to be safe than sorry.

Frank Offline
The "Golden" One
Favourite Platform(s)
Nintendo
Pronouns
He/Him
Thanks bud! Hey, we all have our differing opinions on games. It's cool to know my opinions are differing from the mainstream with B4B. I genuinely enjoy it!

I like to censor them for many reasons, but one of them is to avoid restrictions. Just better to be safe than sorry.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Oct 29th, 2022, 02:35 AM)Frank Wrote:

Oh for sure, it's probably not helped that a lot of the negative views I saw about B4B after the launch dust settled was through YouTube pushing videos of it onto me and almost all of them were of criticisms with the game, but they likely generate more attention because of the drama. But even then I still find very little talk about the game unless an update gets announced but the comments always seem to lean more towards gripes with the game.

Ah, fair enough on the censor reasons. Definitely a good idea when I consider that someone I watch has had older videos suddenly demonetized because YouTube decided it no longer likes the word "Hitler" being used despite all their videos only using his name for the literal guy in Sniper Elite 4. Rolleyes

As a curiosity, did you consider RE7 or RE8 at all as your pick for the Resident Evil game in the video or were you mostly just deciding between RE1 and RE2?
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,172 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 

Oh for sure, it's probably not helped that a lot of the negative views I saw about B4B after the launch dust settled was through YouTube pushing videos of it onto me and almost all of them were of criticisms with the game, but they likely generate more attention because of the drama. But even then I still find very little talk about the game unless an update gets announced but the comments always seem to lean more towards gripes with the game.

Ah, fair enough on the censor reasons. Definitely a good idea when I consider that someone I watch has had older videos suddenly demonetized because YouTube decided it no longer likes the word "Hitler" being used despite all their videos only using his name for the literal guy in Sniper Elite 4. Rolleyes

As a curiosity, did you consider RE7 or RE8 at all as your pick for the Resident Evil game in the video or were you mostly just deciding between RE1 and RE2?
Frank Offline
The "Golden" One
Favourite Platform(s)
Nintendo
Pronouns
He/Him
(Oct 30th, 2022, 12:17 AM)Moonface Wrote:

Honestly, it was between RE2 remake and RE4. But honestly RE2 won me over since it's a modern release that feels true to the original's initial concept.

Frank Offline
The "Golden" One
Favourite Platform(s)
Nintendo
Pronouns
He/Him
(Oct 30th, 2022, 12:17 AM)Moonface Wrote:

Honestly, it was between RE2 remake and RE4. But honestly RE2 won me over since it's a modern release that feels true to the original's initial concept.